Metropolitan Medical Laboratory Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Former Employee
Insurance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Moline, ILJanuary 8, 2018
I worked for Metropolitan Medical Laboratory for over 30 years. My department was outsourced and I was dismissed.
My time with Metro was very rewarding. Most of my skills were learned hands on.
I appreciated the opportunity for employment.
Pros
Insurance, training, benefits
Cons
Outsourced my department
I was involved in many projects that gave me a broad experience.
Administrator/Manager (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAJanuary 5, 2018
I enjoyed working with the physicians. You learned about well trained professions and the dedication it takes to practice medicine.

The staff was generally open to new innovations and where good to work with.
Pros
Great learning experiences
Cons
My position was out-sourced.
Don't work for this company
Muti-skilled outpatient associate (Former Employee) –  Quad CitiesDecember 4, 2017
You go in thinking they will focus on your training but the truth is unless you know somebody higher up in the company than you they will push off your training and put newer employees training above yours if they have a family member or close friend in management. They will then blame you for not completing training quick enough and ask you why you are having trouble when in reality they are being lazy and favoriting people they know and then fire you basically because they don't feel like doing their jobs. Basically come in knowing someone or come in with experience or they will trash your reputation as a phlebotomist. They wasted a lot of my time and energy and I am not the first to have this happen to them I was warned before becoming employed with metro that this was a common problem and I ignored those who told me so. I should have listened and I hope other people don't make my same mistake.
Pros
Stable hours
Cons
Everything else
Used to be a good place to work
Insurance Claims Specialist (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAOctober 8, 2017
I loved working as an Insurance Claim Specialist in the Billing Department at Metropolitan Medical Laboratory and expected to work there many more years.

Unfortunately, without consulting the Manager of the Billing Department, a lot of businessmen came into the department one day and we were told our jobs were being outsourced to a company in Toledo, Ohio, which had no experience with Laboratory Billing. This company wanted all their employees to work from home which is not something I wished to do.

Prior to this experience most department members were like family, and the Billing Manager was pleasant and easy to work for. She did not micromanage her employees, trusting that they knew their jobs and what needed to be done.
Pros
Any bills for laboratory work for employees and families were written off.
Cons
Healthcare expensive
MetroLab is a friendly place with good cooperation among staff.
Courier Driver (Current Employee) –  Moline, ILJuly 27, 2017
I enjoy my present job at MetroLab; however, due to current market conditions, my job will be eliminated in October. My boss is trying to find a new job for me, but, thus far, to no avail.

I have noted that Unity Point now has a staff of couriers. Since I know the job, am very familiar with most of the Quad-Cities area (and most communities within 60-75 miles), I feel that I would be a good fit for Unity Point.
Pros
Great sense of fraternity among couriers and with other staff.
Cons
Few Benefits
Love
Phlebotomist/ Specimen Processor (Former Employee) –  Moline, ILFebruary 20, 2017
Absolutely loved working for Metropolitan medical laboratory. They were always courteous to their employees. Everything the company did was to benefit their employees, hospitals and their patients. Would highly recommend working here!!!1
A pleasant workplace that believes in teamwork.
Multi Skilled Outpatient Associate (Current Employee) –  Silvis, ILOctober 1, 2016
A typical day at Metro Lab consist of draw specific labs for patients, stabilizing the specimen, and also using sanitary precautions to keep the workplace clean.
Always work to do
Histology Associate Trainer (Current Employee) –  Moline, ILFebruary 22, 2016
The days go by quickly. Co-Workers are good people to be around. I have learned a lot by working here. It is nice to be in a hospital setting, you observe many things.
Pros
Hours, no weekends
Cons
Wages
Poking people with needles and having them say thank you
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Moline, ILFebruary 22, 2016
It was a stepping stone job while I went back to school at night. Management tended to play favorites. co-workers normally got along great until one of the favorites wasn't getting their way.
Pros
near enough to a comic shop that I could go on my lunch break and pick up my books
Cons
management played favorates and there were unjust decisions made as a result.
Rewarding Job
Phelbotomist / Multi Skilled Technician (Former Employee) –  Moline, ILJuly 3, 2015
While working here I found I loved working with the geriatric patients at the nursing homes. Didn't matter what time you came in to draw their blood most were just happy to see ya.
Pros
shift differental
Cons
no major cons to this
Stuck in the past
med lab tech (Former Employee) –  all sitesOctober 7, 2014
Equipment and technical aspects are good, otherwise short staffed underpaid and overworked sums it up, The information system software is from the 80.s and needs to be replaced. As far as benefits go, health insurance is a 60/40 plan with no Rx coverage, and rather embarrassing for a health care provider. Time off policy is rather poor as well. Everyone is scheduled for every other weekend and half of the holidays so you don't have much of a life Management is invisible except for email communication. It seems that all HR and management thinking is stuck in a time warp from 50 years ago. It's no wonder staff morale is in the toilet and turnover high. Most of my co-workers were great.
Pros
good equioment
Cons
low salaries poor benfits and archaic management thinking
NOt the best place to work
Specimen Processor (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAFebruary 16, 2014
Process lab specimens. Draw lab specimens. Monitor specimen report.
Pros
Cons
Hours, Management
Very good company to work for. I learned alot from the pathologist.
Phlebotomist / Client Service (Former Employee) –  Moline, ILFebruary 20, 2013
Collected patient imformation for inpatient and outpatients. I was also a phlebotomist for inpatients at the hospital. I work very well with all of my co-workers.
Productive and the workforce
Pathology/Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Moline, ILNovember 25, 2012
It was a very fast paced company that was always busy. the management was very nice and willing to help you if you needed help. the hardest part of the job was if you were in the office together and you had the phones ringing nonstop and the doctors wanting stuff brought up to them. loved the people i worked with.
Checking out other job possibilities
Insurance Claim Specialist (Current Employee) –  1814 E Locust St Davenport, IA 52803September 13, 2012
My employment at Metro Lab has been interesting. I work with patients on the telephone all day. Between calls I review patient accounts to get paid by the insurance companies - either by review letters and or telephone calls to the companies. I work 4 - 10 hour days, where the time goes by quickly. My co-workers are very supportive of my work and they count on me to get the patient accounts paid. My knowledge about insurance has made my job pleasant, with the occasional pat on the back - job well done.
Pros
the hours are great-early am peacefull.
Cons
days when patient calls are heavy - or very angry patients
Management does not listen to ideas of improvement.
Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAFebruary 27, 2012
I observed that the management has been with this company for so many years and they are so comfortable with the way things are; they are truely afraid of change. The computer systems are outdated and do not interchange with other systems. I hope for their success in this new technical age.
Pros
predictable
Cons
outdated, scared of change, management does not listen with open mind.