Metropolitan Police Department Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Unorganized
Manager (Current Employee) –  DC - District of Columbia, DCMay 8, 2018
Better attention is needed for training, advancement, organization, employee relations and moral.
Oversight is needed for background investigations by a third party to ensure that upper management does not falter to the demands of needed monthly hires.
Pros
Excellent Health Benefits
Cons
Poor Management
Fullfilling career
Detective (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 27, 2018
Being a Police Officer / Detective is a rewarding job. I enjoyed the work and the satisfaction of helping others. The Department is a good place to work if you understand that you are just a number / body to them.
Pros
Helping others
Cons
Poor management
MPD is a well organized union. Full of opportunity and experience, great networking oppirtunties.
MPD CADET (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCApril 26, 2018
MPD has provided myself as well as many with extraordinary opportunities and experiences. They have opened doors in varies avenues. The department is very broad in terms of career paths. Full of diversity and prominence. MPD offers the best training in the country due to its demand and continuous attention to high alert situation on every level; such as local, national, and global threats. Being the primary law enforcement respondents to the nations capitol requires demands that ordinary police department has yet to encounter.
Pros
various career paths
Cons
n/a
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 30, 2018
Great place to work. My co-workers are very friendly. We work individually and collectively as a team to fulfill our objective to the satisfaction of our clients.
Pros
Great place to work.
DC Police Officer Position
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 6, 2018
Its a great job to get a good start in Law Enforcement. Working in the Capital of United States gives lots of opportunities for experience. Can be stressful and political correctness and professionalism are a must.

Not a great job for someone with a family. Shift work can add stress and neglect of attention to family time. Only senior officers get decent schedules with days off. Most serve more than 10 years before getting the opportunity to have a weekend off.

Pay is not commensurate with the work load, stress or danger. Underpaid compared to other cities with equal populace and work load.
Pros
Uniforms provided, police experience
Cons
Lack of rotating schedule, poor pay
It was an educational and life enriching experience in a favorable way.
Central Evidence Technician (Former Employee) –  4th St. Washington D.C. S.W.March 5, 2018
I have acquired skills that I consider invaluable and I am appreciative for the experiences received due to D.C. Police Department. If given the chance I would definitely consider a second career and hopefully finish my employment career at an assigned element.
Pros
Structure, flexibility
great opportunity
Sergeant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 27, 2018
A great opportunity to provide for family and enjoy a rewarding career. The benefit of meeting new people everyday and not knowing what each day would hold was exciting to me.
Pros
good people
Cons
criminals
Daily Challenge
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 14, 2018
Even though you work a 40 hour week, each day was different. Did not know what to expect. I found the job very rewarding. The squad i worked on everyone go along.
Pros
great people to work with
Cons
can have long hours
Rewarding, Challenging, broad career opportunities, exciting
Captain (Current Employee) –  17 DC Village Lane, SouthwestFebruary 12, 2018
My career with the MPD has been truly rewarding. I must admit there were some very challenging times, but the challenges open up for growth.

The advancement opportunities in the civil service ranks are readily available for the motivated and the inspired. However, at a certain point, as with many organizations, certain promotions are only through appointments.

One can never predict the day in MPD or with any law enforcement career, that's the beauty and the ugly of it (risk of life)- what a dichotomy!
review summary
Police Sergeant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 6, 2018
A normal day is spent dealing with people who are so dependent on the government that they call the police because they cant solve their own personal problems. You have to deal with constant BS and are treated like a child because your own coworkers do not know how to act.
Fun work environment
Internship (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 5, 2018
I was only an intern but MPD proved to be a well organized and highly respected police department that offered toons of opportunities to its employees.
Great Workplace
Law Enforcement Officer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 13, 2018
Learned various patrol tactics
Public speaking
protection
life saving skills
team collaboration
fair pay and great benefits
fun environment
Will bring the worst and best out of individuals
Pros
Great profession
Cons
can be dangerous at times
Great Department to work for.
Senior Operator & Instructor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 12, 2018
The best police agency to work for in the United States. The training is top notch and officers who work for the department are true examples of professional police officers.
Prodcutive
Administrator Investigator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 10, 2018
This is a District of Columbia Government Agency, with excellent place to work. Excellent benefits and retirement package.
The agency is a part of the union as well.
Productive work place
Mail Room Clerk (Former Employee) –  Headquarters, WAJanuary 3, 2018
The most enjoyable part of this job is working with the police. I got to know a great deal of them bad and good. I love people all kind no matter who you are if I can help you with something I will.
Pros
Cons
no advacements
Job
Sergeant/Agent (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 26, 2017
Very exciting job, new challenges and new experiences everyday. Meet and interact with many different agencies and people daily. Helps you build team work.
Great culture to build a carrer and retire early.
6TH District Outreach Coordinator Assistant (Former Employee) –  DC - District of Columbia, DCDecember 24, 2017
Has great folks surrounding you all day collaborating to make the city safer. Helping orient a community oriented model of community engagement also gave way to a new way of policing in the District of Columbia.
Pros
great vibes, easy to work
Cons
short lunch, 24hour monitoring
Great department
CSID Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 7, 2017
Great department to do an internship with very hard working people who will assist you in knowing how things work and also teaching you on the job tasks
Police officer
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 28, 2017
An excellent place to start a career in law enforcement.
Room for advancement/promotion.
Competitive salary.
Excellent benefits.
A great experience overall in the past 27 years.
Pros
Excellent pay, room for advancement
Cons
Stress, long hours (some days)
Excellent
District of Columbia Government Citizen Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 8, 2017
Great job to work at. I fully recommend working with them. My supervisor was great. They all have a great sense of humor and you can tell that they are all professionals and that they care about themselves.