Metropolitan State University of Denver Employee Reviews

4.2
Ratings breakdown
Post secondary environment in city
Associate Director (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 14, 2018
University on campus with 2 other schools; Community College of Denver and University of Colorado Denver. Large student population/ average 24,000 students.
Great Culture at MSU Denver Writing Center
Writing Tutor (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 11, 2018
I loved working at the MSU Denver writing center while I was a student at MSU. If I could go back and work there, I would. Great staff and management.
Awesome guidance and opportunity to learn
Clinical Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 5, 2018
Working at MSU has allowed me to develop many great skills. Co-workers and supervisors are respectful and fair. The students represent a great diversity and promise for the future. Support and employee autonomy is valued. It is a very relaxed environment.
Pros
Flexibility
MSU IT Lab Technician job review
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 22, 2018
The Lab Technician position is a good job for full-time students. This position gives students the freedom to focus on their studies all while getting paid to monitor and assess computer labs. Lab Techs are expected to provide help services, answer questions, do invoices, and perform maintenance.
Pros
Great use of time management
Cons
Expect low pay, a lot of walking from building to building
It was great!
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 20, 2018
the people were great. the work was great. I had a great time. it was fun. the students had fun. they learned a lot. I suppose I learned a lot too. why am I being forced to write this review?
Pros
people
Cons
pay
Assessment
Affiliate Faculty and Tutor (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 5, 2018
I was an adjunct professor. it was my first teaching position so I am unable to be critical in my assessment. They provided me with an excellent opportunity to do what I love.
Pros
loved what i did
Cons
political
options
Lead designer on manufacturing and analysis (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMay 25, 2018
Metro state has so many options as far as educational;l the way to your masters this is one of the best all-around education institutions in the west a wonderful university to attend
Great Experience
Data entry and Monitoring- Lab Tech (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 18, 2018
It was a good chance for me to have time to study as well as work. I learn a great deal about proper equipment care because we often dealt with those who didn't always have the best camera care ethics. I also learned some more helpful skills while working on the computers because of issues others were having.
Good place to work while studying
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 20, 2018
All I did was make sure the labs were clean and fix the printers. It made for a great job while studying, because most of the time I was able to just do homework while at work. Coworkers were pleasant and the management was fair and friendly.
Pros
All the time in the world
Cons
No challenge
A workplace that does not care about people of color
Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 11, 2018
During my time at Metro, I saw many, many valuable people of color leave for better jobs elsewhere because they were not being valued by the university. This ended up being the case for me as well. Those people of color who left were consistently replaced by white people, making the workforce less and less diverse as time went on.
White folks stayed and climbed the ranks. As a person of color I never felt like my voice or my contribution mattered; worse, I saw no commitment whatsoever to students of color, who had lower rates of completion. Faculty and staff of color who did work on projects to make life better for students of color did not get credit for their work--and I saw white higher-ups take credit (and sometimes very public awards) for that same work, which those higher-ups had initially roadblocked or else just showed no support. This doesn't even address hostile work environments because of issues of race, which was definitely a problem in many different offices. I left feeling very disillusioned and bitter.
Pros
benefits--great leave package, somewhat expensive health care but great coverage
Cons
everything else
Biology Department Assistant
Office Assistant - Biology Department (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 10, 2018
Great area to work in. I had a great supervisor who gave me the days off when needed and supported my work. I was a work study student therefore I worked few hours and had no PTO, but it was a great environment to work in.
Higher Ed
Grants Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 15, 2018
A good place to work, I learned a lot ad was supported in my role. I also felt like the workhorse on the team in picking up the slack for others who were less competent in their role but were a member of my "team". This may have been specific to my dept as I worked in the same Dept for 3 years.
Great
Funding Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 29, 2018
Fantastic place to be and work for so many wonderful people who really care about students. Work hours were flexible. Leaders were open to changes and improvements and new ideas.
Great opportunity
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 18, 2018
At Metropolitan State University, I was given the chance to work with some of the best and creative minds around. I enjoyed working with fellow students in a fun and creative space. Not only did I receive the opportunity to learn new skills, but I was able to connect with other students who where like minded in an amazing way. Management was great with offering constructive criticism and examples of ideal work. I have eminence gratitude for the opportunity that I was provided with.
Good students
Affiliate Professor (Current Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 28, 2017
Goodplace to work- keen students
Inadequate compensation for adjuncts
Heavy work load for fulltime faculty
Little integration between adjunct and fulltime faculty
Many classrooms lack computers
Pros
Great students
Cons
Poor pay
Flexible and fun
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 12, 2017
Had a student job in the AFF office, people were super nice and great to work with. Management took time out of days to have moral boosting activities.
MSU Denver
Supplemental Instructor (Former Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 9, 2017
Very fun place to work, enjoyed the students and faculty. Great atmosphere, and with a new president who is better than the last. Student enrollment is high, caters to minorities.
Good
Network/Telephony technician (Current Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 6, 2017
This is a nice place to work. The are very dedicated to balancing family and work lives. And the people who work here are very relaxed and knowledgeable.
My position is very relaxed, but still has a lot to get done.
Front desk assistant (Biology Department) (Former Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 4, 2017
A typical day at work is helping your boss with taking care of the office and running errands for them. I have learned that you can relax, but also be ready for students at any given hour. Management is great and knows how to treat you like a human being. Workplace culture is very diverse, so there is a lot of exposure and acceptance of others. The hardest part of the job, there really isn't anything too bad. The most enjoyable, is you get to know the wonderful staff of the department.
Pros
Faculty bring in goodies! Very relaxed environment.
Cons
Have to sit the whole time.
I love MSU Denver
Affiliate Professor (Current Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 24, 2017
It's about the students! They are why I do what I do. I love seeing the growth and willingness to learn. The diversity of the students is great. The leadership is new...so the jury is still out on that. The mission is powerful.