Metropolitan State University Employee Reviews

4.2
Ratings breakdown
Msu
Clinical instructor for Med (Former Employee) –  Denver, CO 80204June 21, 2018
Great College. The student body that I had experience with were bright and inquisitive students that challenge their instructor's knowledge base. I would work there again, no doubts.
Pros
Challenging, rewarding, easy to manage the administrative portion of the hiring process
Cons
Short notice on upcoming class schedules
good place to teach
Adjunct professor (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJune 21, 2018
This is a pleasant teaching environment. Students are engaged with studies and come to class on a regular basis. The lab is equipped with up to date computers for student use.
Pros
audit classes
Cons
parking
Great place to work for Work-Study Program
Work-Study, Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 1, 2018
Great place to work for Work-Study. Great bosses and very flexible. The office duties were expected and the work load was not extreme. Just had to be friendly and willing to help others.
Great school
Student (Former Employee) –  Denver, CO 80204May 22, 2018
This is a great place work with a very friendly environment. Great culture with great people. I would highly recommend this place for newbies in the business.
Engagement and Integrity.
Student Office Assistant Intern (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNApril 26, 2018
Worked at front desk to greet students, schedule adviser appointments, answered phones, filed papers, faxed, copied, and performed data entry tasks on work computer.

Motivational speaker at new student orientation where I encouraged students to not only complete their bachelors degree but to go on further and obtain a masters degree as well.

Assisted advisers with in depth correlation study where we tracked the success rate of students based on grades obtained by the student and how long it took them to graduate.

Successfully represented Metropolitan State University mission statement where I held true to the values of Excellence, Engagement, Diversity and inclusion, Openness, Respectfulness, and most of all integrity in everything I did while I worked there and beyond.
Pros
I was able to engage with students and faculty on a daily basis.
Cons
A student position which ended when I graduated.
Student
Student, Mathematics degree pending (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 31, 2018
I enjoyed my time here as a student. The teachers care about your learning process and ability to succeed. I would recommend this school for anyone who is looking for an affordable and valuable education.
Metro State strives very hard to improve each year.
Community Faculty (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMarch 22, 2018
It treats community faculty very well. The Administration is trying to do well by the faculty. It has areas to improve but it has gotten better each year I've been there.
Pros
The faculty are pretty collaborative.
Cons
Academia is on the decline.
Great place for being a student worker
Student Worker in Psychology Lab (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMarch 13, 2018
Working in the Psychology Lab was a fun experience for me. It is a great place to work for a student worker. The manager was fun and engaging and the other students you meet will expand your skills and make you a better student.
Student Worker
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMarch 7, 2018
As a student worker, Metro is a great place to work. Very flexible with school schedules and family life. Everyone was great to work with and very helpful.
Fine
Paint Studio Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 28, 2018
Awful President that destroyed most of the principals the school was founded on to increase the amount of money in his own pocket. Such profits are not shared with the teaching staff. Nor are such profits shared with students in the form of programs and materials provided with tuition. Tuition has more than doubled .
Great place to work!
Academic Advisor (Current Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 5, 2018
A typical day at work involves meeting with students, managing their challenges and assisting them in accomplishing their goals. I have learned a great deal of patience in this job due to the high amount of customer service involved and sometimes having students who may not have had the best experience in higher education in the past. Management tends to be fair not only with employee requests but also with student situations. The hardest part of this job is handling upset parents when their child may not be up to their expectations with their academic performance. Due to FERPA, we cannot share that information without permission from the student. Sometimes it is difficult for parents to grasp since much of the time, they are paying for the education. This is not just a job but rather a career in making a difference in the lives of others. The most enjoyable part is when you know that you have truly made a positive impact on someone's future.
Pros
Working with friendly, professional and knowledgeable colleagues, working with inspiring students
Cons
Politics
Awesome campus
Assistant Women's Volleyball Coach (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 23, 2018
I enjoyed my time at MSU Denver. Great location for a university, a lot of diversity and life on campus. Only complaint is staff has to pay for parking :( $6.50 a day.
Cons
Paying for parking
As a Student, it was alright.
Student (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJanuary 8, 2018
If you want to get your degree and gtfo this works. But it didn't really help start my career. Go to all the career networking evens because ghat's how you get the job, unfortunately.
Student Worker
Music Librarian (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 3, 2018
Great atmosphere.Getting set up in the system can be a pain but once you are in, the work is great. Good supervisors, fair work and wages. I enjoyed my time there greatly.
Internship
Mental Health Resource Intern (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNDecember 17, 2017
During my internship my responsibility for the center I worked for was very clear and concise. I enjoy learning about other students who uses the center during their down time. My internship supervisor was also very nice and flexible.
Progress
Help Desk Technician (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, MNNovember 15, 2017
This was an environment that allowed me to grow and blossom in to my own man. I learned a lot about bureaucracy and how the system works. It showed me the business behind schools.
Pros
Reality check
Cons
low pay
Metropolitan State Library
Library Student Worker (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNNovember 15, 2017
Student workers did everything--helped students and community patrons, answered phones, helped process circulation items, et cetera. However, they did not have the ability to receive pay raises. Hours were cut drastically. And sometimes there was not adequate management. Hardest part of the job was that everyone relied on student workers but they did not get treated with respect. Laid-back environment was enjoyable; student workers, at times, were allowed to do homework. But could not take days off without staff persons getting angry about it.
Good luck advancing
IT Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNNovember 15, 2017
This is not the place if you want career growth...that is unless you do not work in a technical field and don't mind getting your face dirty on a regular basis.
Pros
Set schedule, annual increse with satisfactory performance.
Cons
No chance for advancement.
Professional Writing Tutor at Metropolitan State University
Graduate Writing Tutor (Current Employee) –  St. Paul, MNOctober 27, 2017
Depending on the semester (Spring, Summer, Fall) the work load will vary. Summers tend to be much slower than Spring or Fall if only because there are fewer students who take Summer classes. It also depends on the campus where you work. We currently have three campuses where we tutor, St. Paul (main campus), Midway, and Minneapolis (by MCTC). This semester is much busier in St. Paul than it is in Midway or Minneapolis. This is a trend that depends more on where the classes requiring writing are held.
Mostly, we can choose our own hours because some of us are students, some are just tutors, and some are instructors, so schedules can change depending on these factors.
We are a tight knit family who understand that we deal with many students from different cultures. We also have different cultures working within our own center.
The hardest part of the job is a change that was made this semester that ended up limiting the number of months I can work to 8 months per year.
The most enjoyable part of the job is when I am working with a student who doesn't understand a concept, then when they do, you can see it in their eyes. There's nothing quite like that!
Pros
Co-workers and students
Cons
Shorter work year
A wonderful place to work!
Student Social Media Writer (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNOctober 20, 2017
Metropolitan State University is a wonderful place to be employed. They support all varieties of diverisity, treat the students well, and help them to learn more about their chosen fields while on the job!
Pros
flexibility, non-traditional, great staff
Cons
low pay, low hours