Metropolitan Transportation Authority Employee Reviews

Decent work environment
Train Conductor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 11, 2018
Decent work environment..great benefits..shaky management..ok equipment..overall I had a decent time working for the new york city transit authority..that's about it.
Pros
Great benifits
Cons
shaky management
Very Exciting
TRAIN SERVICE SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 11, 2018
Everyday is very exciting. During my 26 years operating trains. I've learned alot with working with people and different equipment throughout the 5 boroughs. My last 3 years as a Supervisor has also build up my skills with working with the empolyee's.
Pros
Good Benefits and a chance for promotions
There is room for improvement
Senior Claims Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 11, 2018
The key to a successful organization is to hire the right people for the right position. It is disappointing to see those who have been in public service for many years with the a higher education and skill set being passed over by those with less education and skill set. Recognize the stars within your organization.
Pros
benefits, job security
Cons
merit based promotion opportunity
Working at the MTA
Dep Director-Financial Analysis/Fcstg (Current Employee) –  2 BroadwayOctober 10, 2018
The budget process at the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) is an on-going process that consists of a February Plan (the "Adopted Budget"), July Plan (the "Mid-Year Forecast"), November Plan (the "Final Forecast") and December Plan ("Final Estimate") for the current year and seven subsequent years, of which five years are published and presented to the Board and to the public. Accrued and cash financial data is collected from the Authority’s ten agencies (subsidiaries and/or affiliates) and consolidated to determine the financial impact to the MTA. The financial plan books consist of over 30 budget reports per agency and the same for MTA Consolidated.

The monthly reporting requirements include consolidation of the monthly financials from the Authority's ten agencies and analysis of variance explanations. This information is then used to determine trends and patterns for revenue and expense categories.
Pros
Working for an organization that performs a very needed service for the people of New York.
Poor management
BUS MAINTAINER (Former Employee) –  Maspeth, NYOctober 3, 2018
1- I've learned not to rush any job to avoid mistakes.

2- Management treats you with respect.

3- Some of the best people and friends you will ever meet work in transit.

4- The hardest part of the job is getting there on time due to traffic.

5- The most enjoyable time of the job doing what you love.
Pros
Free work boots
Cons
Poor ventilation in certain depots.
Great career advancement opportunities
Executive Secretary, Labor Relations (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYSeptember 30, 2018
I started as a Union Employee Steno Typist. I retired as an Executive Secretary. I was able to work in various departments in my MTA Agency. The Agency provided job security.
Pros
Job security. Opportunity to advance ones career.
Cons
Non
A strict place to work for.
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 30, 2018
All benefits are good. They are a very strict company, they have rules. I stayed within their rules as best as I could. We had good time off for unexpected emergencies when they came up.
in most of the MTA facilities there diverses amenities for the employee, such as ping pong table and gyms, this is great, in my case did not applied
IT Specialist III (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 28, 2018
The MTA is great company and I feel very proud of the contribution I made to build the Network infrastructure and the operation.

The MTA provided me the opportunity to growth professionally in the IT field, same time gave me the opportunity to make lots of friend while there and built strong relationship with customers and business partners. Unfortunately, situation just like it happens to me, tarnish the overall image of the company.
I believe that Executive Manager should get involve when situation just like I lived, they let it happen. High Executive should get involved to get the fact to understand the nature of the situation and stop such type of abusive behavior from supervisors to subordinates and stop to allow any one from an upper management level to carry personal vendetta against a subordinate employee.
hard worker attention to detail
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  3300 spruceSeptember 24, 2018
get your job assignment from supervisor learned patience management just want you to get the job done diverse culture its hard when people dont work together
The job is very stressful
BUS OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 21, 2018
Very difficult work. You are your own manager and with that you create you own stress. Dealing with traffic, passengers, and your schedule not to mention your co workers are very difficult. The quicker you learn to ignore everything and concentrate on the traffic the longer you will last on the job. Realize that most things are out of your control and should be ignored. You are there to make a living for you and your family and this job can help you achieve this endeavor.
Pros
Great benefits and a lot of overtime
Cons
Schedule is unreasonable and meals get shorter and shorter
I had the best boss I've ever had. The company is stuffy
EXECUTIVE/ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 20, 2018
I really enjoyed my time at New York City Transit Authority. I had a lot of responsibility and a heavy workload. My boss was not a micromanager. He gave me a lot of freedom which allowed me to be a creative problem solver, extremely organized with all of my work and my duties, and a creative developer of processes and procedures.

The place, itself, was incredibly competitive, intense, and a bit back-stabbing. For those who were not contract workers, there was definitely room to move up.

I would recommend the it as a good place to work.
Pros
Room for advancement
Cons
It was a bit back-stabbing
Procurement Manager/Consultant (Current Employee) –  New York, NY 10023September 20, 2018
Good place to work. I work eight to four thirty. Employees are very friendly. The environment is very professional. The work is very diversified and interesting.
Stressful and poor management
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 17, 2018
MTA is a very stressful job you feel alone and the company doesn't care about the drivers . I would never work there again the company has gotten worst over the years.
Pros
Cons
Stressful no breaks no time off
Good experience.
Design Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 16, 2018
Satisfying and valuable experience.

Happy with the accomplishments. Took a lot effort and time to overcome resistance to change, especially technology evolution.

Civil service organization. Strict rules, regulations and practices.

Well defined procedures and guideline.

Staff unfamiliar with the commercial world.

Home grown culture.
Pros
Health Care; Pension Plan; Flexible Hours
Bueno
Driver clase c (Current Employee) –  Ontario, CASeptember 15, 2018
Un trabajo demasiado desgastante las salidas son demasiado tarde más de 12 horas de trabajo
Pros
Regular
Cons
Salidas muy tarde
Great work/life balance
Analyst Internship (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 14, 2018
For intern, it's not as cut-throat as other financial companies. It's a little bit more relax and chill. However, interns can work on multiple projects at the same time.
Great Opportunities
Conductor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 14, 2018
great benefits, great advancement opportunities, free transportation, paid training, union, paid lunch breaks, meet many different personalities, work with some really great people.
Typical large government transportation agency
Director (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 12, 2018
The MTA is a typical large government transportation agency. Job security, occasional political pressure, lots of dead weight, many charmless awkward employees, and some great employees--who tend to leave.
Pros
Job security, interesting work, good benefits
Cons
Dead weight, depressing atmosphere
Mta review
Medical Administrative Support Aide (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 7, 2018
Working here has given a sense of reality in the profession field. Manegement was good and understanding but the lack of advancement is to full time employment is limited
Pros
FREE Metrocard
Pros Constant growth, change, and upward momentum. Working for this company has helped develop my professional business skills as well as my personal
Train Operator Trainee (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 6, 2018
Pros

Constant growth, change, and upward momentum. Working for this company has helped develop my professional business skills as well as my personal life skills because of the constant challenge to raise the bar and strive for better systems/services.

Cons

High task/case load and a lot of information processing > need organization/time-management skills to maintain work life balance.