Metropolitan Transportation Authority Employee Reviews

challenging place of work
College Intern (Former Employee) –  Hollis, NYDecember 10, 2018
During my 4 months internship I have learn to use all the theory I study in College and apply my knowledge every day.
I enjoyed being an environment surround of people that were willing to help.
I definitely would cherish a opportunity to work full time with them.
Internal Hiring Process Needs Improvement
SENIOR PAYROLL PROCESSING SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  333 West 34th StreetDecember 4, 2018
MTA recruiters does not do a good job detailing benefits for most jobs for potential candidates.
Management does not provide performance reviews unless there is an issue.
You are not encouraged to assist customers on a call rather it is expected that the call is handed off.
Pros
5 day work week, free train pass
Cons
Short lunch breaks m, no break time
Good job
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 29, 2018
Loved working here you get to meet lots of new people everyday. The benefits are gteat. Lots of overtime if that’s what you do. Loved it joust really really loved it
intense work
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 16, 2018
I would clean the train cars as they pull into the station. I also had to help remover stragglers from the train. I had to clean the station including the bathrooms and the platform
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
short breaks
Busy
Assistant Conductor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 11, 2018
Providing professional Customer Service including Safety Collecting transportation including cash fares giving directions to customers Handling crisis situations Opening and closing doors.
Great potential for advancement
Train operator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 9, 2018
I started out as a station cleaner and took tests to be promoted to conductor and then to train operator. 25 years of service. Great benefits. 5 weeks vacation and other types of leave available.
Take any test. Get your foot in the door..
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Takes up a lot of your time and life. Miss holidays and family events.
Excellent benefits and pay
AFC Station Agent (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 22, 2018
Union is great. Management is not the greatest. Overtime is usually available if you ask. Coworkers are very helpful and kind. The best benefits around.
Pros
A lot of overtime
Cons
Half hour lunches, old equipment, bathrooms and facility rooms. A lot of pest activity
MTA is a great place to work.
Associate Staff Analyst (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 21, 2018
The MTA is a great place to work for. The benefits are good and the work is steady. Everyone pitches in to help each other. There is always a team spirit.
A Safe professional working enviroment.
Power Distribution Maintenance Supervisor Level II (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 21, 2018
Coordinate with all departments with an emphesis on safty to provide the highest quality service to the riding public. The frendships and brotherhood that I experienced and cultivated while working for MTA make the working enviroment a calm safe place.
Pros
Job security
Great benefits
Manager (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 21, 2018
New president trying to improve things. Job postings are open to all employees. Beginning to address diversity issues. Unions support members. Human resources training is available.
Its a good job with a pension
M of E electrician (Current Employee) –  Jamaica, NYOctober 18, 2018
I feel this is on of the better jobs if you live on long Island. I'm in a great department but they are not all like this and you have your share of different personalitys too. I have a great gang foreman and the other managmant on my shift are really nice too no one here is really out
to get you. There are very few companies out there that offer a pension and we also get railroad security which is far better than social security, also free transportation for you and the family for all mta transportation except bridges and tunnels.
Its a pretty hard job to get alot of testing and background checks but in the long run its well worth it and I feel the training here is very good too again referencing to other jobs in the past most of the training stinks.
This job is not for everyone but in a years time you can move to a different position or branch of the mta I mean with 70,000 plus employers how bad can it be.
This job was kiciking.
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 13, 2018
I enjoyed the job, because of the customer service training and the out doors environment setting, as a Bus Operator. At that time I enjoyed working out doors.
Decent work environment
Train Conductor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 11, 2018
Decent work environment..great benefits..shaky management..ok equipment..overall I had a decent time working for the new york city transit authority..that's about it.
Pros
Great benifits
Cons
shaky management
Very Exciting
TRAIN SERVICE SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 11, 2018
Everyday is very exciting. During my 26 years operating trains. I've learned alot with working with people and different equipment throughout the 5 boroughs. My last 3 years as a Supervisor has also build up my skills with working with the empolyee's.
Pros
Good Benefits and a chance for promotions
There is room for improvement
Senior Claims Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 11, 2018
The key to a successful organization is to hire the right people for the right position. It is disappointing to see those who have been in public service for many years with the a higher education and skill set being passed over by those with less education and skill set. Recognize the stars within your organization.
Pros
benefits, job security
Cons
merit based promotion opportunity
Working at the MTA
Dep Director-Financial Analysis/Fcstg (Current Employee) –  2 BroadwayOctober 10, 2018
The budget process at the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) is an on-going process that consists of a February Plan (the "Adopted Budget"), July Plan (the "Mid-Year Forecast"), November Plan (the "Final Forecast") and December Plan ("Final Estimate") for the current year and seven subsequent years, of which five years are published and presented to the Board and to the public. Accrued and cash financial data is collected from the Authority’s ten agencies (subsidiaries and/or affiliates) and consolidated to determine the financial impact to the MTA. The financial plan books consist of over 30 budget reports per agency and the same for MTA Consolidated.

The monthly reporting requirements include consolidation of the monthly financials from the Authority's ten agencies and analysis of variance explanations. This information is then used to determine trends and patterns for revenue and expense categories.
Pros
Working for an organization that performs a very needed service for the people of New York.
Great place to learn
Workers Compensation Intern (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 10, 2018
Great place to learn new parts in the job . You get hands on experience and get to see how they work on a day to day basis. I recommend this job to anyone
Poor management
BUS MAINTAINER (Former Employee) –  Maspeth, NYOctober 3, 2018
1- I've learned not to rush any job to avoid mistakes.

2- Management treats you with respect.

3- Some of the best people and friends you will ever meet work in transit.

4- The hardest part of the job is getting there on time due to traffic.

5- The most enjoyable time of the job doing what you love.
Pros
Free work boots
Cons
Poor ventilation in certain depots.
Great career advancement opportunities
Executive Secretary, Labor Relations (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYSeptember 30, 2018
I started as a Union Employee Steno Typist. I retired as an Executive Secretary. I was able to work in various departments in my MTA Agency. The Agency provided job security.
Pros
Job security. Opportunity to advance ones career.
Cons
Non
A strict place to work for.
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 30, 2018
All benefits are good. They are a very strict company, they have rules. I stayed within their rules as best as I could. We had good time off for unexpected emergencies when they came up.