Metropolitan Transportation Authority Employee Reviews

Politics
Transit Management Analyst; Counterterrorism (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 9, 2018
Too much politics going on. Not enough room for growth or career advancement. There aren't enough competent employees so the job culture isn't that great.
Very intense job must be aware of your surroundings at all times.
Cleaner/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 8, 2018
Safety of TA employees are lacking, this Job is very dangerous! It seems as the higher ups don't care! I've been introduced to some great ppl. The benefits are great full medical, dental, vision. Salary is good. There are so many departments to move up too. Some promotional some open competitive.
Pros
After your 8hrs you can leave, the benefits are wonderful.
Cons
Security in those stations are lacking you must be very careful especailly being a female
See below review.
Security officerr (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 6, 2018
What I learned: Patience when dealing with the public.
Most enjoyable interacting with the public.
Typical day: every day is different.
Workplace culture: diverse and friendly.
Management: Helpful and understanding.
Hardest part of the job: dealing with contractors and inclement weather.
Not for everyone
Train Operator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 1, 2018
Great benefits and pay but, if you have a family be prepared to NOT see them. Birthdays, school events, holidays etc. The actual time you work is not what is reflected in your written schedule. Often times stuck at work 2 -3 hrs. past your clearing time. You have personal days but, are DISCOURAGED from using them. It's a " Safety Sensitive" position which requires much needed sleep but you never get enough rest due to the mandatory overtime restraints. Be prepared to deal with disgruntled co-workers and many times hostile customers.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Mandatory over time!!!
Good Place to work
Track and Tile Flagger/Cleaner (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 1, 2018
NYCT is a good place to work and advance your career if you choose to. You are able to move around into different fields and departments. The benefits are good.
Good Pay, Benefits. As per myself, One will live comfortable Not rich! Overcoming the first few years of rough hours is the hardest.
Locomotive Engineer (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYJune 29, 2018
Great pay, Live comfortable not rich. Good benefits. Room for advancement to many positions. Hours and Family time HORRIBLE especially in the beginning. Note: job with a very high divorce rate. Federal Railroad test very tough. If you put in the time you WILL Pass! The hardest part is to get in. Take ANY position and within a short period one can start to move around within the company. Good Luck!
Interesting
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 25, 2018
You start out on a one year probation and its the most stressful year of your life as everything you do is under constant watch and you fear for your employment every second of the day. They would fire you without hesitation.
Pros
Great pay, benefits
Allowed for versatile opportunites in support of operations
Manager / Purchasing (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 25, 2018
This position enabled me to utilize my versatility in the area of purchasing and customer (internal/external) services. Organized timely meetings and provided responsive information to the various user departments which was previously lacking
Good place to start out
Train Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 21, 2018
Overall its a great place to work. Movement and promotions are there if you know to be on time and not call out all the time. Promotions are there, just get in the door. Waiting to get called is the longest process.
Life changing for me.
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 19, 2018
A lot of days were pretty challenging with unruly/disrespectful passengers. I don't like driving but whatever I do I give 100%.

I learned more patience and tongue biting.

I felt that some of the managers I had to deal with were more for the company.

Workplace was good, I volunteered a lot for division celebrations.

The hardest part of the job was being fearful of what a passenger will do.

Meeting new and kind people was always a pleasure.
Pros
Change assignments every 6 months
Cons
Change assignment every 6 months (if you liked old, but lose bid)
Secretary to the chief (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 19, 2018
I have to honestly say that during the time i worked there it was a great experience and learned a lot during my stay. I would highly recommend anyone to work for them.
Mta it
IT Project Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 19, 2018
MTA IT still needs a lot of structure and standard protocols to be implemented. Agency wide collaboration are not well jointed in communications. Many bureaucratic processes and procedures hinder progress.
Pros
You have a job
Cons
Never stable
When there are delays the stations can get crowded, delays do not last long.
Station Cleaner (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 18, 2018
I enjoy cleaning so I enjoyed working at New York City Transit Authority, When there are train delays, it can be stressful, because no one likes delays, especially when they are trying to get to work and go home. I enjoyed talking to passengers, giving directions and assisting them, when they were sick or lost.
Pros
Free Metrocard
Cons
The stations are hot in the summertime
Good Internship
Operations Analyst Intern (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 14, 2018
Good pay - treated very well by employees. A lot of free time which can sometimes can boring but during the semester it is valuable. This is a good internship to have while you are taking classes. Recommend interning here.
hard work
Maintainer, Revenue Equipment Maintainer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 8, 2018
stressful work in the tunnels of subway, overtimes, good benefits, still dust in tunnels is bad for health, uncomfortable boots, third rail 600 V DC is danger
Place to learn
Operations Support Aide (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 7, 2018
This Internship is full of surprises each and everyday. learned and still learning lot of things which makes me feel satisfied at the end of the day and motivates me to learn more and be productive.
Money, pension
DRIVER/OPERATOR (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 6, 2018
Can earn excellent pay. Benefits is great. Pension is why we all there. Can advance quickly if you keep nose clean and learn the system. Can choose depots close to home
Pros
Excellent pay benefit package
Cons
Politics
Dont KNow
CUSTOMER SERVICE SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 5, 2018
The organizational culture of the organization is very disheartening. Coming from a private sector you have better opportunity for advancement. They sell you dreams upon accepting employment, but the light bulb comes out as soon as you enter.
Demanding and Fun
Train Operator - Trainee (Former Employee) –  New York CityJune 5, 2018
Great Company. Superiors not friendly. Stressful Environment because of long hours and working below ground continuously. Just have to be yourself and adjust to position.
Pros
Great Agency
Cons
Long Hours
Great job , mediocre career
MTA traffic checker (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 4, 2018
You’ll find yourself wanting to move up quickly and make more money but it’s very hard to do even if you are the more skilled individual . Seniority plays a huge part In this job .