Metropolitan Water Reclamation District of Greater Chicago

Metropolitan Water Reclamation District of Greater Chicago Employee Reviews

Non-regular Employee Insight
Most regular employees seem to be content enough to stay with the organization until they retire or until a life-changing event causes them to leave. There are occasional entrance and promotional opportunities that draw many applicants each year.
This was NOT a fun place to work!!
The first day on the job I was told NOT to talk to the news media. The department head manager did not have to tell me what would happen if I did. Some coworker were arrogant to the point that I was insulted. Politics is the game and if you are not in the circle you were no one. On top of it all my immediate supervisor was a liar and a thief. He stole company time and products.
Great place to work.
Definitely recommend this organization as a great choice in your employment search. Very tough to become a part of, if you’re successful in accomplishing that goal, you will definitely be grateful.
Overall the upper management need to visit the locations more and get to know the employees better.
Upper Management don’t know what really happen at the locations and don’t seem to really care. The upper management don’t understand what tools are really needed so the Lab could function well.
Great hours, surprisingly friendly atmosphere
I'm sure I would've had a much more positive experience (and still be employed there) if I'd had a different "superior"/co-worker. That aside, it was a good place to work. The workload wasn't overwhelming, but there was always something(s) to do. Most people were friendly, or, at least, agreeable. Great hours, great benefits (medical, dental, vision, PTO; a variety of retirement savings options; pension -- no Social Security contributions). Beware: the probation period lasts a a year.
Leave a review. Help people like you.
Nice place ,but hard to get in there!
There is a lot of who knows who , the pick who they like for advancements.
If they don’t like you, they will try to get

Rid of you the paper trails, the have the time to collect paper work on people they don’t like.
Really good job security and Pension for those grandfathere in.
Depending on the dept., there can be real support and professional development, and others can be totally, Backwards and still mired with Political influences with promotions only decided with such influences. They Try to be transparent and modern, at least they try and they are quite a "breath of fresh air " in comparison to Crook County and the city of Chicago govt.
Pros
Can have his balance of time off and work.
Cons
Still Influenced by political backs
Good Compensation - Outdated
The MWRD is a very interesting place to work. The pay for government work is pretty good. However, they are behind the times in terms of technology. When you come in the doors it seems as though you have been transported back 20 years. Your level of sanity will be based on what type of manager you have; that will really make or break you.
Pros
pay, work/home life balance
Cons
management
Love it. Great place for growth and development. Wonderful staff, very caring and willing to help you grow in your desired endeavors. Very nice benefits for employees
This is a government agency that prides itself on maximizing tax dollars on behalf of taxpayers while treating wastewater and managing stormwater for 5 million people. There are plenty of opportunities for personal and professional growth as long as you are willing to look for them. Salaries and benefits are very generous. Once hired through the civil service system, people seldom leave. There are very good salary increases. They are on track to have a strong, healthy pension system, unlike other government agencies. They have great communications throughout the District so we feel like we know what's going on, even if you work at a plant or in the field, and they are interested in the thoughts of all level employees. You have to live in Cook County, Illinois to work here.
Pros
Excellent salaries and benefits, strong pension plan, opportunities for personal and professional growth
Cons
Have to pass exams to be considered for employment and must live in Cook County
Very good experience
I learned a lot working at Metropolitan Water Reclamation District of Greater Chicago, coworkers were very friendly, great location in the heart of the city, and i was trained very well to accomplish my job there.
Plan for the long run
Although a good place to work, promotions and advancements can take quite a long time. Exams, interviews, openings, and placements have to work in succession to be able to grow within the company.
Protecting the health of the public is their mission
The MWRD plays an often unrecognized but vital role in public health and safety. HQ is located just off of Michigan Avenue. Operations are spread across Cook County. A great opportunity for technical professionals.
Pros
Salary & Benefits
Cons
Residency requirement
Productive and helpful
Everybody was willing to help me out and made it a comfortable working environment. I would definitely recommend it to any student thinking about working in water resources or waste water engineering.
Interesting Place to work
Very interesting place to work. Good pay and security. I would recommend this institution to others as a good place to work. I think there is not much room for the growth in skills.
Pros
Interesting Work
Cons
Public sector
Great place to work.
A great place to work. Opportunities for advancement/promotion is competitive. Good benefits.
It would have been much better if the agency could develop a good training program, especially for new or young engineers.
Best job in my field
Largest Sewage Treatment plant world.One of a kind equipment new and old.Work also included basis sewage treatment know how.Worked with Mech and Electrical Engineers and all of trades such as pipe fitters -machinists- electrician - carpenters etc
Pros
Best pay + benifits
Cons
sewage treatment plant
Can be slow paced at time but great educational experience
I am learning about running basic test to benefit the research being conducted in the soil and biosolids department at the district.
Pros
Part Time.
Cons
Slow Paced
Working at Metropolitan water reclamation District were life teaching.
An typical day at work is preparing for the day prepping to start running samples. There's a lot to learn while dealing with sludge, wasted water samples, I've learned a lot. I never had any problems with management I come prepared to work, management would come by to check to make sure that everything is ok.
My co-Workers are great People to work with Team Work!!!!

The hardest part of the job when running samples and I gets a bad batch with a QA and Blank Fails, then I would have to investigate to see why there was a QA or Blank Failure it can be a bit frustrating.

the most enjoyable part of the job is when there's no QA and Blank failure's and my work is completed for the day!
Pros
just living
Cons
just living
Great Company to Work For
One of the best places to work for, excellent pay, great co-workers, easy commute and lots of opportunities for advancement.
Pros
Cheap Lunches
Many opportunities for advancement
Highly structured environment that helps build your skills and discipline.
Pros
Security
Cons
Slow to change
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Metropolitan Water Reclamation District of Greater Chicago. Our community is ready to answer.
4.3