MGH Employee Reviews

Good launchpad for career
Research Technician II (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 17, 2018
I was lucky with my lab at MGH in that I had a lot of opportunities to learn a variety of different protocols, and the research fellows that I collaborated with were frequently successfully published. However, as someone who works hard, it was frustrating to watch my colleagues on my level reap the same benefits while contributing significantly less. Most would agree that the technician positions are transient at best -- get your experience and go.
Nice compensation
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 6, 2018
I worked as part of an independent urological study for nine months some years back...great experience at one of the most well known hospitals in the world. I had only been there for three months when I noticed I got a bonus @ Christmas time! ME! I got the sense that MGH compensated their staff well.
Family oriented
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 7, 2018
Busy and exciting. Learn how to work with people and appreciate. Managers are there to work with you most of the time. Friendly safe and fun. The challenge of seeing so many sick people
Pros
It is a great place to work with all the perks you need and then some.
Cons
Since there are so many people, it can be stressful
Productive, caring and fun place to work
Medical Assistant/Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Danvers, MASeptember 14, 2018
My typical day at work involves caring for patients and putting their well being first. Everyday is an adventure in healthcare. I love that there is always something new to be learned and many opportunities to show my skills.
Pros
My commute was short
Cons
The department I worked in relocated
Organized and structured enviroment
Medical Assistant Primary Care (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 6, 2018
Support in all areas of work. Very diligent in fixing any issues that may arise. Welcomes ideas for progress and development. Staff is friendly and supportive.
N/a
Patient Services Coordinator II (Current Employee) –  Everett, MAAugust 1, 2018
not applicable, I can say that it is a great place to work and be apart of a great team that supports one another to grow in a great health organization.
Productive and work family orientated.
Inventory Specialist (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 8, 2018
Typical day at MGH is providing all needs and orders for all of the orthopedic and urology staff. I have learned a lot of different roles over the last 9 years and had some great managers a long the way. Hardest part of the job is not having enough staff to be able to provide day to day work equally. Most enjoyable is the staff and friends I have made throughout the years, they have made my career at MGH the easiest.
N/a
Manager (Former Employee) –  Owings Mills, MDMarch 17, 2018
MGH was pretty laid back, and you have a lot of happy hours and parties. Great culture and work / life balance. Hard to advance your career or gain new experience and knowledge.
Pros
Laid-back, good work/life balance
Cons
Lack of innovative digital work
dynamic and motivating place to work
Central Pharmacy Intern (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 4, 2018
MGH was a great place for a pharmacy student to learn the basics of how a hospital pharmacy runs. Students primarily stocked and did med runs for their shifts.
Cons
bad cafeteria food
Great
PROGRAM COORDINATOR & PSC III (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 18, 2018
I enjoy going to work everyday as a program coordinator for my role at MGH. I have a great doctor work for and two great nurses along with a awesome manager!
Productive and fun working place
Research lab tecnichian (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 6, 2018
Work in research lab with cell culture,western blot and other techniques
Develop skills of doing research work
learning environment of work culture in lab
But as a volunteer work for 40-50hours per week without pay is burden over me
Another great place to get experience
Non-Human Primate Husbandry (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 26, 2017
I wanted experience in clinical trials with non-human primates. They offered me a wealth of opportunities to learn but I decided I wanted to work with humans instead.
Great for experience/skills, but not the place to be in for "the long run"
CT Scan Technologist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 23, 2017
Great colleagues, great technology, great everything EXCEPT pay and time off using Earned Time.
It is considered a "privilege" to work for Man's Greatest but Partners wont pay anything close to what others pay because of that "privilege" (at least tfor the Radiology Dept.)
Time off is granted as vacation "picks" 2x a year for 1x week and "first picks" are based on seniority so you might be left with a vacation pick in January. No other time off is granted unless you can fill your own shift by having someone work a "double" and in return you will work a "double" for that colleague because overtime is not granted. Management expects for you to fill your own shifts if you need a day off even for a doctor's appointment and refuse to have a per diem come in to cover your shift because of the extra expense to the company. It's all about profit for the "Imaging Dept.)
Pros
Great Quality Experience, Lifetime Friendships, Great Healthcar benefits
Cons
Horrible and Expensive Commute; Terrible Pay for CT (Radiology)Techs, No Time OFF
Worked hard
Nutrition Food Sanitation Worker (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 6, 2017
Staff worked hard and location was convenient. Raises infrequently happened. Staff worked long hours and some did not receive recognition for it. Great benefits however
Great Physicians to work for
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Danvers, MAJuly 31, 2017
I loved working for MGH for 11 years! Worked for an awesome team of Orthopedics. I was only part time and needed for hours otherwise I would still be there.
Pros
great team environment
Cons
front desk staff
workspace
PCA (Patient Care Assistant) (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 21, 2017
transport patient
enjoyable job
meet people from all over the world
always smile
be patient
there's a lot of moving around going to different floors when bring the patient up to there room
great place to work
you learn a lot
Pros
good benefits
Cons
healthcare
The agency experience
Interactive Art Director/Producer/Editor (Former Employee) –  Owings Mills, MDMarch 21, 2017
MGH walked the line between fun and productivity very well. I enjoyed showing up in the morning knowing that the day would include challenging work and brainstorming with team members.
Very hard days but enjoying the time spared with employees and customers to help them.
Facility Manager (Former Employee) –  Their Building - BostonFebruary 10, 2017
Dealing with broken equipment, unscheduled absences , overseeing employees to ensure tasks completion . Coaching Team leads, responding 100 emails, responding employees and customers questions. Checking my schedule to know where the meeting will be with colleagues .

The hardest part of the job was lack of friendship between coworkers. Bad communication.

I enjoyed listing my employees problems and trying to help them. I enjoyed listening solutions to resolve problems.
Pros
ET accumulation was wonderful
Cons
Lack of communication between up and down lines of management.
A very productive company and a great place to learn
Downtown Lead Medical Assistant /Health (Former Employee) –  290 Washington Street, Boston , MA 02115January 13, 2017
We see about 200 patients per day, so I would describe the practice as busy and fast paced. I learned how to phone in prescriptions, how to reconcile medication, learned how to give vaccines, perform EKGs, and most importantly how to treat patients as I would treat a family member. Management is fair, but stern. My coworkers were dedicated team players. The hardest part of the job was losing patients (to death). Being at work every day was enjoyable.
Pros
Wednesday birthday cake, Friday Ice cream parties
Cons
working short staffed
MGH is a great place to work!
Operations Associate (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 1, 2016
MGH is a teaching hospital with many opportunities for growth. Depending on the position you learn to work both independently as well as in teams.
The hardest part of the job is stepping outside of yourself and putting yourself in someone else's shoes. You never know what people are going through, so it's best to always keep that attitude.
Being employed at such a large organization, you have the opportunity to meet so many people. Great way for Networking and moving your way up the latter.