MGIC Employee Reviews

Contract Conventional Underwriter
Contract Conventional Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 16, 2018
Main Underwriter for retail branch. Underwrite manual and automated underwrites for FHA,
Conventional and Jumbo loans. Train loan officers and branch personnel on loan programs. Instrumental
in bringing the branch deficiency level down to within acceptable levels after months of excessive
deficiencies prior to my arrival.
Pros
like my manager
Cons
no paid vacation
Loved this job
Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 26, 2018
The management was open, friendly, helpful and you felt a part of the team. I was very sad when the layoffs began. I enjoyed working with all of the different mortgage Companies, Credit Unions, and Banks. Each day was a new adventure.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Contract employment
Great place to work!
Claims Administrator I (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIApril 4, 2018
I enjoyed my time at MGIC. My manager was exceptional! Training is phenomenal also. The company is led with a huge emphasis on integrity. The pay is more than fair.
Constantly thrown under the bus...
Employee (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMarch 31, 2018
The company creates endless reports regarding production and errors. You are constantly told that you are NOT in competition with your colleagues, yet they pin you against each other in every report. Management meets with you to discuss problems or accomplishments but don't tell you how to fix problems or give you the means to help. The technology is outdated. They have the means to make employees remote but refuse to do so.
Pros
Good insurance policy and 401k benefits
Cons
Unless you're in the main office, there is no room for advancement
Poor Management
Systems Engineering Analyst (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMarch 23, 2018
Some managers have been with the company for many years and are resistant to new ideas. Focused on filling out TPS reports vs. real accomplishments. Outdated technology
Good pay and benefits
Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIFebruary 12, 2018
Not a bad place to work, I believe they pay well because the job is relatively boring and quality control is always looming over you. I had good and not so good managers. You are always hounded about quality but when you ask for training it is not offered. The hardest part of the job is the inconsistency . I was a remote employee , I didn't really experience " work place culture ". The managers are in endless amounts of meetings and often unavailable. As a remote employee there was not opportunity for job advancement.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Lack of communication
Minimal management requrired individuals only
Contract Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 8, 2018
As a Contract underwriter you are placed at certain locations depending on workload to underwrite different loan product unique to the company you are placed.
Good
Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIDecember 7, 2017
It was a good company to work for. Good management, workplace and co-workers. Benefits were minimal for the contractors but overall I did not mind working.
Challenging work, great employees
Regional Claims Manager (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WINovember 20, 2017
In a typical day I answered questions from staff and managers while performing my own tasks. My tasks included approving claim payments which exceeded my staff's authority, and I worked on many task forces which required attendance at many meetings. I assisted other departments when questions regarding claims arose.
The hardest part of the job was finding enough time to train and mentor my staff. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with my staff as well as outside customers.
Pros
Excellent company to work for
Cons
not enough time in the day
Busy, complex, demanding and challenging
Claims Examiner I (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 27, 2017
The benefits at MGIC were very good and the pay was decent. There were critical deadlines to meet daily and most of the time we were micromanaged. The workplace was fast pace and extremely challenging and mentally draining each day. The best part of my job is I was able to work from home from 2013 through 2017. This was also the most difficult part of my job because if I had a question, sometimes I wouldn't get an answer for days.
Great benefits
Underwriter/CSM Level II (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 15, 2017
Very fast paced environment with somewhat high levels of stress associated with certain duties. Overall it was a great place to work near the end things got a bit ridiculous in having to ask to go use the restroom. However anything to do with the mortgage industry is very interesting one day is never like the last.
Good company
Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 23, 2017
Good company to work for. Good culture and people. Benefits were standard as were work hours. Only opportunity for conventional lending available with MI company.
very productive, needed company, best job ever!
Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Berwyn, PAJanuary 24, 2017
Started as junior underwriter promoted to team underwriter then went on the divisional operations administrator reporting to senior vice president.
Pros
very professional, interested in employees work and home life
Cons
2nd best during 90's BEST DURING MILLINIIUEM
Great company to work for
Director (Current Employee) –  OrlandoJune 2, 2015
I liked every moment of it. I learned so much and I recommended to everyone. Over all it, great experience, team is wonderful, my boss very understanding and helpful.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
long distance
Flexible schedules and great benefits
Senior Real Estate Valuation Claims Specialist (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WINovember 3, 2014
Great place with flexible schedules. Management was hands on and would assist employees in any way possible. Can't go wrong with the benefits package here.
I learned a lot of things working there
Marketing Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 14, 2014
It depends on the manager you work for , but I did enjoy my time at MGIC.
Great Company would like to have worked a longer assignment
Contract MI Underwriter / Temporary (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 5, 2014
Worked as a Temp on a short term assignment, seemed like a great company to work for but there was not a permanent position open.
Pros
Friendly people, great company
Cons
was only able to work short term assignments
short time working
Accounts Payable/Receivables Assistant (Former Employee) –  milwaukee wiJuly 24, 2014
my other two jobs were longer and let me express myself
i was happy working here loved the work and department
learned more about working in an office and getting along with everyone.
year and half after I started they closed our entire department
Pros
working
Cons
not working
Very nice assignment
Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Bloomfield Hills, MichiganOctober 22, 2013
Contract underwriter to MGIC guidelines as well as FannieMae. The hardest part of the job was when I caught misrep by one of the sales reps and he admitted. It was very difficult as the file had to be escalated to MGIC's QA for further review. Another hard part of the job was knowing that the assignment would be soon ending.
Pros
Very nice parties.
Cons
As a contractor you don't have the same benefits as a FTE i.e. time off, etc.
Fun Workplace
Contract Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Downers Grove, ILOctober 22, 2013
Loved my co-workers. Learned allot. Very organized work place.