Miami-Jacobs Career College

Miami-Jacobs Career College insights

Areas for improvement
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Sense of belonging
  • General feeling of work happiness

I was a work study student. Assisted administrator with work overflow. Perform various office practices, procedures, and equipment Made responsible decisions in accordance with established policies and procedures at LRC. Abided by confidentiality requirements. Established and maintained effective working relationships. Operated copy, fax, and other office machines. Managed calendars and LRC at some point. Performed data entry at rate of speed, answering telephone calls at approiate tone, refer and assisting callers. Assist students with flyers and handouts for students. Preform various customer service activities. Organize and managed library inventory. Other duties as assigned.

Avoid like the plague!

The worst teaching experience of my career. The majority of students were unprepared for college and were rude and disrespectful. I resign 2-days before the end of the term when I was verbally assaulted by a student during my lecture. The administration refused to support me and allowed the student to remain on campus and in my class. Also, I witnessed a student have a seizure and rather than call EMS, the school attempted to hide the incident but failed. There was one administrator that suggested putting the student onto a chair with wheels and taking her to the end of the property before calling EMS. Needless to say, I informed my students and administration that I would call EMS if any medical emergencies arose that I witnessed.

Productive and supportive

I loved being a part of the Miami-Jacobs family. There was a sense of family and positive work culture that you don't get everywhere. They treated their employees fairly and supported them as needed. they were flexible and positive at all times.

Changing Futures and Changing Lives

Since I worked for the company in positions ranging from an adjunct instructor to the National Allied Health Program Director the typical day varied depending upon the duties. As the National Program Director, I was in regular contact with those both above and below me in the chain of command. Delta believed in open communications but up and down the chain so much of my day was spent contacting the 30 campuses and talking to the program directors at each campus. My calls may also involve the Director of Education or the Campus Director. I would also be contacting publishers and those companies that provided the online portion of our various programs. I worked with the campuses to make corrections and modifications to the course to maintain compliance with state agencies, accrediting bodies, and certifying agencies. While at Delta I learned the value of the flipped classroom making more than 300 videos for my students to view at home allowing more time within the classroom for hands-on practice of the skills they would use in the field. As National PD I recommended other instructors do the same or use the videos I had prepared. I had no complaints about the management of Delta Career Education Corporation. I believe their promotion from within work culture helped significantly. When an adjunct instructor and move from being a part-time instructor then work through the various positions within the company and end up as the Vice-President of Academics for 30 schools across the country their workplace culture was excellent. The hardest part of the job for me -

Pros

Great People, Great Environment

Cons

They closed along with many other Career Colleges in the area

Mjcc

The Dean and support staff were fantastic. Upper management worked in a vacuum. For profit meant pinching pennies. Students still received a great education.

Pros

Immediate supervisor, support staff, students

Cons

Upper Management

I love my co-wokers

Transforming lives through education is the best way to make a living. I learned to be more flexible. The most enjoyable part of the job is at graduation, when a troubled student finally walks that stage and thanks you for supporting their goals and helping them through their journey.

fun and easy going environment .

Organized files, developed spreadsheets, faxed reports as well as handled all incoming and outgoing correspondence Improved communication efficiency as primary liaison between departments, clients and vendors. Direct visitors to the appropriate area Initiate Wonderlic Test

Horrible leadership and unpleasent work environment

This was by far the most unprofessional environment I have ever worked in! This was my first time ever working at a career college so I was nervous and excited. When I started working I was provided with little to no training, and expected to put up the same numbers as far as recruitment as the other reps that have been there for years. My direct supervisor was one of the rudest people I have ever encountered. Between her constantly being inappropriate, and disrespectful, she even stated to me one day that she is "done training me" basically indicating that I had to figure this job out on my own, and the list can continue. I have NEVER had a supervisor speak to me the way she did. If you are applying I would strongly recommend doing several sit withs and if you have never been in this field before then this is not the college you want to start at.

Pros

Getting to know the students and building relationships.

Cons

Unprofessional work environment!

Horrible workplace and school

I was hired there and the environment was very harsh and the way they treated staff and students was horrible. Worst job I ever had so far, Glad they closed all of them down

Pros

meeting new students

Cons

harsh work and horrible leadership

Registrar

Maintain confidentiality of information maintaining physical and computerized records including student cumulative folders, progress and failure reports, class rosters, schedule changes, and grade books. Assisting counselors with the enrollment, withdraws, and transfer of students and process applicable records.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Miami-Jacobs Career College?

Miami Jacobs Career College

I was very fortunate to work with Miami Jacobs Career College because they had excellent rapport with faculty , administration and students. The administration gave excellent ongoing training for all staff including instructors and had open door policies. One typical day at work would be to set up my classroom with writing on the board for class objectives for the day including any questions I received from students by email. Next I reviewed textbook and course syllabus with students in the classroom and we discussed homework, textbook reading, projects, pros and cons and student feedback of questions about each course. I learned that everyday has a new experience no matter the position or the audience and that a pleasant teamwork attitude sets the pace for learning for both students, workers,and instructors to share their work experiences. The hardest part of the job was at the end of each term/quarter or semester saying good bye to those students graduating. The next hardest part of the job was to teach critical thinking and problem solving to young and middle age adults who had never used it in their life. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing students smile when they knew an answer to my questions and that they learned to gain trust of themselves , me and other students to ask the 5 critical thinking questions in class to problem solve .

Pros

Pros would be the training MJCC provided to instructors to retain students.

Cons

Cons would be grading essays

Basic job training position that works with school and home schedule

I typically come in work a variety of hours. During my shift I tend to the computers, students, and file. I also create newsletters, and flyers for events. I have learned quite a few new things on computers and dealing with online classes and communication. The hardest part of my job is the down time. I prefer to stay as busy as possible. The other hard part of this job is that it is considered a Work Study Program, which means that in April, 2015, I will no longer be eligible to stay employed. I will have my Associates Degree of Applied Business Management and be required to move on and start my career.

Busy School with High Turnover

For profit education is alot of work. The hours expected are long and the pay is low.

Helped students

Worked in the LRC (Learning Resource Center) and Print Shop.

What I gained from working at TWC

It was a good position because I was a full time student. It was convenient and I loved the staff. I did filing, customer service, helped staff members with grading papers, and PowerPoints.

Pros

No driving to work. I was alreay there for class.

Cons

Job ends when you graduate.

Enjoyed the teaching staff and the students

I loved working with the students from this school. The hardest part of the job was getting called in to teach a subject I was not familiar with to cover the lack of staff.

Pros

Inservice

Cons

It appeared that Administration promoted decision with students and faculty

Exciting and interesting place to work

days can vary from making copies for a student and picking up the attendance to multiple copies, faxing information, passing out student schedules and placing mail in mailboxes.

Pros

able to do school work on the work/study program

Cons

being extremely busy during school hours when everyone is printing a term paper.

Overall great place to work.

Miami-Jacobs is a great employer to work for provides great opportunity for growth.

Pros

great employees.

Cons

healthcare

Enroll graduating seniors into our programs

Set appointments by calling seniors off of information cards.Enroll students after qualifying them for acceptance.

Pros

my co-workers, and our team.

Cons

n/a

Teaching and learning all in one.

Had a wonderful opportunity to work with all types of persons. MJ was a trade school, so we had all types of learners, young old, rich poor. It was exciting to meet and interact with all these different people. I think I learned as much being there as I taught to my students. I had an exceptional staff of part time instructors who cared deeply for the students. The hardest part, but the best part, was graduation, having to say goodbye to these wonderful people that I had been with for such a long time.

Cares about the student's and their Success

The hardest part of the job is when you have that one or two student's who just isn't motivated.The most enjoyable part of the job is when a students gets placed knowning you had a part in it.My supervisor (Director of Career Services) was one of the best supervisor's I every had. She should be a trainer for new Department Directors coming into the company.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Miami-Jacobs Career College. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits