Miami Dade County Public Schools Employee Reviews

Fun and safe working environment
Security Officer/Hall Monitor (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLFebruary 8, 2019
I love helping the kids out and teaching them about respect and the need for them to finish school. Its a great and humbling experience. School safety plays a major role in education so to be responsible for one of the safest schools in Miami-Dade County is an honor. We have a great management team. The hardest part about the job is the unknown. Anything can happen so you have to be sharp and ready to go at anytime. The most enjoyable part of the job are the kids and the thank you's you receive from the kids and teachers for their safety.
Pros
Learning experience, benefits, job security
Cons
Under paid
Wonderful workplace
TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 29, 2019
I enjoyed working for Miami Dade Public Schools. It was very enlightening to see my students learn and make learning gains within their academic tenure.
Pros
Duty Free Lunch, Teacher Planning.
Cons
Not enough time for collaborative planning.
No Thank you
Certified ESE Teacher (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 25, 2019
I really don't want to elaborate on this subject. But if I must, the kids are the best part of this job, however, this has become a thankless, unsafe job and I need to move on.
Typical education system
School Counselor - Herbert A. Ammons Middle School (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 17, 2019
Dade County Public School is a productive place to work. Students are from a varied background. The con is, in light of all the school safety concerns at schools it has become more difficult to focus on education.
Diverse fast paced and rewarding
LANGUAGE ARTS TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 14, 2019
I love working with students and watching them grown academically every day. A typical day at work non stop teaching, planning and assuring student learning.
Pros
student centered learning
Cons
very little personal time
I like working with pre-k classroom
Para-Professional III (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 9, 2019
I enjoy working in the VPK classroom.The most enjoyable part of the job are my colleagues. I enjoy working with them and enjoy a very relaxed learning environment.
Security monitor (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 9, 2019
If the pay was good I’d stay and retire from this place it is a great place to work and learn many different positions however the pay is not that great in some of the positions and it’s not a place to continue to work concerning the cost of living..
fun atmosphere
After School Counselor (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 4, 2019
If you like working with kids and working very hands on with them this is the job for you. Passing out snack daily assisting with homework and later on in the day interacting with parents.Schedule was always great and convenient.
Pros
hours, days and holidays off.
Stressful
Social Studies Teacher, 6th, 7th, & 8th Grades (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 3, 2019
Stressful working conditions (depends on school). Low pay for cost of living, but that is expected for most teaching jobs. The district has few or no raises for teachers.
Interventionist
Literacy Interventionist (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 2, 2019
Working for Dade County Public School systems was a good opportunity to learn from others and develop collaborative skills with my department. I had a positive experience.
Not enough hours
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLDecember 31, 2018
This job is only good when you have little children because when they're out of school you're out.As far as enough to live comfortable this is not a good place to retire from.
Its convenient for people with small children.
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLDecember 22, 2018
The school board is convenient for people who have small children. you have the opportunity to place them in the same school your working in. The extra days off is a plus.
Pros
you get the same day off with your children
Cons
having to deal with bad co-workers
Dynamic and secure place.
Bilingual Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Miami, FloridaDecember 10, 2018
Very good place to work. Dynamic working environment. I feel happy at this work place because you can enjoy a sense of job security, as well as be part of a team where you can grow professionally
Para Professional II Educator (K-12) (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLDecember 5, 2018
Good place to work, teamwork is a plus and leadership is completely on point. Always willing to guide and influence working environment. Professional development is always key.
A political environment
Staff Assistant Administrator (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLDecember 3, 2018
A cliquish environment.
Work and promotions were based upon the departments mission. However, the best candidate was not always selected.
The workplace culture was very fickled.
Pros
I use to be a great company to retire from.
Cons
Very political environment
MDCPS runs very efficiently and with purpose.
Intensive Reading Instructor (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 29, 2018
I've worked for Miami Dade Public Schools for a long time and I do enjoy the stability that it has brought to me and my family. It is a well run school system and in fact, I am a product of the school system myself.
It was an experience for me allow myself to set goals
School Custodian (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 29, 2018
Miami dade county school don't pay enough salary of the work that is performed and my work ethics deserves more with the pay rate and working for the system for 12 years requires more.
Cons
Working hard
I’ve workef 33 years with MDCPS
Speech Language Hearing Pathologist (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 24, 2018
It’s a great place to work. I feel a creative individual will do well working for MDCPS. Teacher get paid holidays and summers off. It’s great especially if you have a fsmily it leaves an opportunity to travel during the summer with your family.
Pros
10 month employees
Cons
You don’t get paid Iin the summer
Great
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 20, 2018
The department is greatly understaffed, this puts enormous pressure on employees that show up for work. Quite often there are two to three of the employees absent for whatever reason. Which adds additional stress to the already limited workforce to accomplish the day's task. Some of the gains of working in a high-stress environment are that you learn the art of multitasking and keeping one's composure. I have also gained the invaluable experience of working in a very diverse cultural environment and was able to learn skills outside of my job description which serves to enhance my resume. I have made lifelong friends of some of my coworkers. The most enjoyable part was, at some point in my career at the county I was given the latitude to be creative and use my initiative.
Fun, and positive staff
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 18, 2018
I love how the community comes together and help . The staffs helps each other. The black community is awesome. I miss my job as a substitute teacher. I wish to work here again.
Pros
Flexible and great management
Cons
needs more security system and lunch for workers