Michael Foods Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Poor management, long hours, low salaries
Supply chain (Current Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNMay 28, 2018
Michael Foods its is owned by Post and they have changed their work ethics. The new management is poor, they are disrespectful to people, the work time is loing and they do not pay enough. Also they expect you to do the job of 3 employees for the price of 1. The employees are afraid of all the changes because they keep laying off people non stop. I much rather go somewhere else.
Pros
Good co workers
Cons
Poor management, long hours, low salaries
a typical day
Pasteurizer Lead (Former Employee) –  Britt, IAMay 16, 2018
I had to have communication with the USDA and the QA. Had to make sure everything was within accordance to our run and guidelines. Lots of paperwork and washing parts.
Leads think they are gods
Maintenance Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Klingerstown, PAMay 4, 2018
Some days its not bad, others its chaos.A lot of favoritism and rule bending for certain people. The culture is cut throat. The other mechanics try to make you look bad. Production people won't do their jobs sometimes so the production supervisors try to get maintenance to do them instead of correcting the operators. They are afraid of losing people.If you kiss butt you can advance - doesn't matter if you have 20+years experience, you have to "look good" in front of the managers.
Pros
uniforms
Cons
micro-management by some Leads
Not a bad place
Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Britt, IAApril 27, 2018
Plant manager is very involved and enjoyable to work with. Maintenance manager is a donkey. Supervisors could be better. Overall a clean facility and climate controlled being a food facility. Very up to date technology in the facility so I felt very safe around all of the equipment.
Pros
Rotating schedule gave more time off
Cons
Can be a stressful work environment
owned by post
Packer (Former Employee) –  Klingerstown, PAApril 26, 2018
The shift i was on nothing more then a bloody mess. There was many people just getting by not checking the egg patties before place them into the box. Some times top few patties would have a neon purple or like blueish color that was from the machine. & they had no problem putting it into box then got rage when i corrected them. In short terms there was alot of weirdos on my shift.
Pros
simple work
Cons
short breaks
Productive and safe place to work
Production Manager (Current Employee) –  Gaylord, MNApril 25, 2018
Great company very employee oriented. Hardest part for this company is staffing but they try to do what they can to recruit employees and to retain them.
working with the peeler
Sanitation Worker (Former Employee) –  Gaylord, MNApril 25, 2018
Come in at 10pm and clock in, put on your work suit. start cleaning the machine that i was in charge of called the peeler that got the eggs and peeled the skin off of them doing 6000 eggs a min.
Great place to work.
Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Gaylord, MNApril 19, 2018
Its all about production. They give you everything you need to be a successful mechanic. The best group of skilled workers and management i have ever had the pleasure of working with.
Pros
Free lunches, uniforms, yearly raise and bonus
Cons
Shift change could use more empasis on communication
Fast paced and unmanaged
Processing Operator (Former Employee) –  Lenox, IAApril 11, 2018
I didn't have much of a problem with the people I worked with. The problem was the manager was new and all his workers on 1st shift were there for many years. Anyway, because of this 1st did the same amount of work as 2nd shift when 1st shift had twice as much time. 2nd shift had 6 hours of production and 6 hours of sanitation. The problem comes in when the manager cant tell the workers what to do because he doesn't know how to do it and doesn't know how long any one task would take. I had a meeting with the manager about this issue and still nothing had been resolved.
Productive and fun yet serious place to work.
Food Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Lenox, IowaFebruary 1, 2018
Not an awful amount of hard labor for the amount of pay. Co-workers were seemingly friendly, and helpful when it came to confusion or questions I had about my job duties while on shift.
Easy and fun but not enough hours.
Part time weekend supervisor (Current Employee) –  Wakefield, NEJanuary 28, 2018
This is a fun place to work but can get boring at times with not enough work to do. There are times where I was maintenance and nothing was breaking so it was a slow and relaxed day but I had a few friends that made everything quite fun to work.
Production over Quality
Quality Assurance (Former Employee) –  Gaylord, MNJanuary 22, 2018
If you belong to the male persuasion you will have a much better chance of moving up the ladder for this company. This company is also more worried about production than quality.
Fun place
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lenox, IAJanuary 20, 2018
It's was alright but all of the employees aren't friendly. Racism is strong there in the maintenance department. Seem like my during was a setup and unemployment agreed.
Productive workplace
Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Chaska, MNJanuary 7, 2018
Quick work was key to keep up with the fast paced production environment of Michael Foods. The most enjoyable part of the job was constantly having something to complete or learn to better myself for the position.
Competitive, hard labor
Sanitation Worker (Former Employee) –  Wakefield, NEJanuary 2, 2018
It was a good work place. The pay was ok. The managers and supervisors weren't fair sometimes. I feel like the workers are underpaid for the work that they do.
Fun workplace
Utility Worker (Current Employee) –  Klingerstown, PANovember 28, 2017
Iv learned a lot from working here .. I got twi trained , I'm good and gmp s proper wear .. the work place is a fast moving , the part I'm in is cold so you need to bundle up .. get to experience lots of new stuff and meet some awesome people .. management is amazing and they are willing to help you with any problems you may have ..
Pros
You get 2 -15 mins breaks, 1- half hour break ..
Cons
Being cold all the time
Good Company
Microbiology Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth, NJNovember 7, 2017
This is a very good company. I just think that there should be less hours to work per week, especially in the laboratory department. During the summer the work hours are a lot.
Dangerous place to work. Faulty equipment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Wakefield, NESeptember 29, 2017
Very dangerous place to work. In last year at least 2 workers died due to faulty equipment. It's cheaper for them to have a tragedy then to have safe equipment and work environment. Profits before human life. That's the corporate way. Bottom line. Human life is worthless!!!!
Cons
DANGEROUS place to work
a pleasant environment to work
Packer-Stacker-Cleaner-machine operator (Former Employee) –  Britt, IASeptember 10, 2017
is a good company where I had many opportunities to grow and learn all my surroundings
Pros
Insurance
Upper management does not create a good culture
Production Manager (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 9, 2017
Michael Foods is an environment that does not have good pay, good high level leadership, and simply show they are not really caring about the people that work there. The only good thing to say about the company is that the hourly workforce are extremely enjoyable to work with in the production environment.
Pros
Not much to say
Cons
pay, executive management, work life balance...