Michael and Son Employee Reviews

Featured review
Michael and Son selected this as a representative review
Great people, collaborative atmosphere, fast-paced, stressful.
Dispatcher/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VADecember 3, 2018
Overall a great place to work that rewards effort. It can be stressful at times, but there is plenty of laughs, friendly faces, and camaraderie to share.
Pros
Gym onsite, discounts on services, competitive benefits package, happy atmosphere.
Cons
Fast paced, high stress.
Stressful, messy, unstable, work environment
CRS (Former Employee) –  RichmondJanuary 1, 2019
The pay is average. Constant turnovers so bad people don't even stay for training. New people are rushed through training. Supervisors poorly trained
Pros
You get a steady pay check
Cons
Poor management, no consistancy, hight turn over at times not enough people
Relaxed and fun place to work
Dispatcher/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VANovember 28, 2018
Positive work environment
Flexible hours
Good boss
People encourage each other and don’t talk down about each other
Give constructive criticism
Relaxed and fun work environment where assignments are still being completed
Monthly team building activities
Pros
Free lunches, paid holidays
Cons
Can get overwhelming quickly
Valuable experience in sales and service
Electrical Sales Technician (Former Employee) –  Ruckersville, VANovember 6, 2018
A typical day at work could include anything. Each day is different from the last. You might find yourself doing the same tasks that you've grown familiar with, but you're always in a different location and interacting with new people. You have the freedom to be creative enough to come up with your own solutions to problems and you get a sense of satisfaction when making a big sale on jobs. However the work can be quite demanding and the work requirements tend to consume much of your time. You can be required to work Monday through Friday and the entire weekend, just to start back over again on Monday; all the while being on call and possibly being called out on a job late at night. This can be quite tiresome after a while, but you can learn many new things and receive valuable experience in doing so. Your coworkers are usually very helpful and are available to answer any questions you may have. I would recommend this job for anyone with good interpersonal skills, who would like valuable experience and who is not intimidated by a fast paced commission based salary.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Nothing was certain especially hours
Electrician Helper (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 25, 2018
I liked the fact you could get experience there , I did not like management decisions nor hours. One week they would give me 38 hrs , the next week 14 hrs , the next week 26 hrs , etc ...

One week I would do inspections , the next week permits , the next week running wires in basements , sometimes doing all 3 in one day. There was absolutely no consistent pattern in work nor hours and the issue was not solely limited to me.
Pros
Different experiences
Cons
Lack of ours and job duty consistency
Great Team but stronger management needed
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAOctober 3, 2018
I enjoyed working here for the most part. They have plenty of overtime opportunities but they mainly are given to newer employees. Work associates are truly enjoyable to work with but tension does rise when management piles on extra- sometimes unnecessary work. The technicians can be very emotional at times when not given the job they want, but if you have decent communication skills that shouldn’t be a problem. At this company the customer is always right so be mindful of your actions.
Pros
Bonuses, occasional free lunches, friendly coworkers
Cons
Certain management and technician attitudes
Terrible place to work
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 1, 2018
Management chooses favorites which can do whatever they want. While other people get fired over nothing. The turnover rate is outrageous. The ones that are higher up in the business and the technicians do whatever they want. CSRs do all the work and take all the heat for there mistakes.
Pros
Decent money and benefits
Cons
Everything else
At times it was fun to work there, but not so much at other times.
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 26, 2018
It's a call center and the environment is basic, there were times it was fun but other times not so much, it really depended on whether or not the management team liked or disliked you. If management likes you then you can do just about anything "literally", if they didn't then you were under attack and scrutiny.
Pros
Lots of celebrations and team comrodory.
Cons
Management has a difficult time seperating business from personal
Great job!
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 23, 2018
I loved working for this company. They have excellent benefits and perks that come along with the job. The management and owners are all good people to work for and with
Best Work Place Ever
Sales supervisor/ Hvac install (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAAugust 10, 2018
My typical day was never dull! They were family oriented for real! The work day was quick paced but full of laughs and hard work.

My manager was the absolute best manager I have ever had.

The work culture was simply we dont have problems we have solutions. We had a great time as a team taking care of the customer first.

The hardest part of my job was deciding to leave.

The most enjoyable part was the relationships I buildt that will last forever. I have an extended family.
Pros
Being trained the M&S Way
Cons
Pay for inside staff
the wores job in histray
Quality Control Inspector (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJuly 24, 2018
it was the worse job I seen the owner all care about his money they rip people off with charging them alot of money they treat me with no respects and I got injured and didn't claim to work camp

Want to know more about Michael and Son?

Ask a question
Poor Plumbing Management
Plumber (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJuly 23, 2018
Very poor plumbing management, with little to NO service plumbing experience. Poor customer service and backstabbing their plumbing tech. Ran like Military. There is no or very little work to life balance. Servicing the customers was the most enjoyable part of the job. I wouldn't recommend anyone to work for this company as it is currently constructed.
Dispatch
Customer Relations Representative (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJuly 22, 2018
provided all designated routes to service techs while monitoring progress as well as closing tickets for accounts. maintained customer balance by also assisting with customer service calls in my free time
Very Hateful Company
Cutomer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 17, 2018
This place will fire you after 5 years. No one makes it past five years. No matter how great you are at customer service if you're not friends with the boss outside of work you will be terminated.
Pros
Steady paycheck
Cons
Dishonest company
Toxic
Home Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJune 26, 2018
The job duties themselves were easy to follow and maintain. At the time that I was employed there, there was a toxic work environment for the office staff. Everyone was always watching their back and trying to cover themselves.
purchasing
Purchasing Agent (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJune 25, 2018
office work daily,
running daily reports
organizing paper work
phone calls with customer and vendors
work with Microsoft word and email
making sure data entry was correct
Awful Management
HVAC Technician (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 18, 2018
The work is inconstant and the management will let you starve. They base who gets the work on who sales whole systems. Even if an HVAC system is repairable they would push hard to sale an entire system claiming to the whole world that they would not profit other wise, despite the mark up of 330% on all parts. This would not be such a bad thing if everyone could sale systems but they reserved that to a few techs and anyone who could not sale had to give the big jobs to those who could. This strategy effectively kills any earnings of non selling techs.
The CEO Basim is a good man he just needs good men or woman managing his branches.
Pros
Company vehicle and gas card
Cons
No repair work so no money
Fun place to work with a great amount of experience,
HR Generalist (Current Employee) –  VirginaMay 7, 2018
The place is good place to work. My supervisor treats me well and teaches me how to perform my job. He constantly throws new problems at me so that I can learn and accomplish my duties even more efficiently.

The benefits at Michael and Son are some of the best I've seen and the cost isn't bad either. Very impressed with that.
Pros
Free lunches, healthcare benefits, salary
Could not be happier
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAMay 3, 2018
This is a wonderful place to work. I really feel that I am providing added value to my department and the company as a whole. Management is very friendly and hardworking. Everyone wants to work together to succeed. Pay is competitive and there are always opportunities for advancement or transfer. Employees who have been here longer than me have not stopped talking about how much things have improved.
Not the best company to work for
Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAApril 17, 2018
They only give you a quarter raise for each promotion. They do not give enough leave time. They offer the best 401K that I have ever seen, however you barely make enough money to put anything into it. They give you a use it or lose it type of leave. You can only accrue 40 hours a year.
Pros
They offer the best 401K that I have ever seen
Cons
They do not offer good raises.
Michael and Son
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 17, 2018
Very relaxed environment not enough career advancements. The management was very nice, and the team members were great. The pay just was not p to par.
Pros
Nice work environment
Cons
Lack of advancement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Michael and Son. Our community is ready to answer.