Michael and Son Employee Reviews

Terrible place to work
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 1, 2018
Management chooses favorites which can do whatever they want. While other people get fired over nothing. The turnover rate is outrageous. The ones that are higher up in the business and the technicians do whatever they want. CSRs do all the work and take all the heat for there mistakes.
Pros
Decent money and benefits
Cons
Everything else
At times it was fun to work there, but not so much at other times.
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 26, 2018
It's a call center and the environment is basic, there were times it was fun but other times not so much, it really depended on whether or not the management team liked or disliked you. If management likes you then you can do just about anything "literally", if they didn't then you were under attack and scrutiny.
Pros
Lots of celebrations and team comrodory.
Cons
Management has a difficult time seperating business from personal
Great job!
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 23, 2018
I loved working for this company. They have excellent benefits and perks that come along with the job. The management and owners are all good people to work for and with
Best Work Place Ever
Sales supervisor/ Hvac install (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAAugust 10, 2018
My typical day was never dull! They were family oriented for real! The work day was quick paced but full of laughs and hard work.

My manager was the absolute best manager I have ever had.

The work culture was simply we dont have problems we have solutions. We had a great time as a team taking care of the customer first.

The hardest part of my job was deciding to leave.

The most enjoyable part was the relationships I buildt that will last forever. I have an extended family.
Pros
Being trained the M&S Way
Cons
Pay for inside staff
the wores job in histray
Quality Control Inspector (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJuly 24, 2018
it was the worse job I seen the owner all care about his money they rip people off with charging them alot of money they treat me with no respects and I got injured and didn't claim to work camp
Poor Plumbing Management
Plumber (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJuly 23, 2018
Very poor plumbing management, with little to NO service plumbing experience. Poor customer service and backstabbing their plumbing tech. Ran like Military. There is no or very little work to life balance. Servicing the customers was the most enjoyable part of the job. I wouldn't recommend anyone to work for this company as it is currently constructed.
Dispatch
Customer Relations Representative (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJuly 22, 2018
provided all designated routes to service techs while monitoring progress as well as closing tickets for accounts. maintained customer balance by also assisting with customer service calls in my free time
Very Hateful Company
Cutomer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 17, 2018
This place will fire you after 5 years. No one makes it past five years. No matter how great you are at customer service if you're not friends with the boss outside of work you will be terminated.
Pros
Steady paycheck
Cons
Dishonest company
Toxic
Home Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJune 26, 2018
The job duties themselves were easy to follow and maintain. At the time that I was employed there, there was a toxic work environment for the office staff. Everyone was always watching their back and trying to cover themselves.
purchasing
Purchasing Agent (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJune 25, 2018
office work daily,
running daily reports
organizing paper work
phone calls with customer and vendors
work with Microsoft word and email
making sure data entry was correct
Awful Management
HVAC Technician (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 18, 2018
The work is inconstant and the management will let you starve. They base who gets the work on who sales whole systems. Even if an HVAC system is repairable they would push hard to sale an entire system claiming to the whole world that they would not profit other wise, despite the mark up of 330% on all parts. This would not be such a bad thing if everyone could sale systems but they reserved that to a few techs and anyone who could not sale had to give the big jobs to those who could. This strategy effectively kills any earnings of non selling techs.
The CEO Basim is a good man he just needs good men or woman managing his branches.
Pros
Company vehicle and gas card
Cons
No repair work so no money
Fun place to work with a great amount of experience,
HR Generalist (Current Employee) –  VirginaMay 7, 2018
The place is good place to work. My supervisor treats me well and teaches me how to perform my job. He constantly throws new problems at me so that I can learn and accomplish my duties even more efficiently.

The benefits at Michael and Son are some of the best I've seen and the cost isn't bad either. Very impressed with that.
Pros
Free lunches, healthcare benefits, salary
Could not be happier
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAMay 3, 2018
This is a wonderful place to work. I really feel that I am providing added value to my department and the company as a whole. Management is very friendly and hardworking. Everyone wants to work together to succeed. Pay is competitive and there are always opportunities for advancement or transfer. Employees who have been here longer than me have not stopped talking about how much things have improved.
Not the best company to work for
Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAApril 17, 2018
They only give you a quarter raise for each promotion. They do not give enough leave time. They offer the best 401K that I have ever seen, however you barely make enough money to put anything into it. They give you a use it or lose it type of leave. You can only accrue 40 hours a year.
Pros
They offer the best 401K that I have ever seen
Cons
They do not offer good raises.
Michael and Son
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 17, 2018
Very relaxed environment not enough career advancements. The management was very nice, and the team members were great. The pay just was not p to par.
Pros
Nice work environment
Cons
Lack of advancement
Relaxed
HVAC Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMarch 23, 2018
Okay place to work, not very busy during off seasons. Needs better areas of advancement. Needs to offer competive pay structure. Needs to offer sick pay and paied holidays.
Company is what you make it
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 14, 2018
Working at Michael and Son is different. If you come to work and are ready to do your best, it can be very rewarding. I have seen at least 8 Customer Service and Inside Sales people get promoted. But if you are always late, don't care about the customer, and don't care about your job, you will have a rough time. They just rolled out a pretty good pay plan. I got a raise and am happy. Management is very supportive and want to help me to do my best.
Pros
On site cafeteria, promotions
Cons
Cost of healthcare
Great management and great place to work
Plumber Technician (Current Employee) –  AlexandriaMarch 12, 2018
I really enjoy working at Michael and Son and really enjoy working with our Managers. My experience so far has been a plus for me and my family. Recommended
Not a good place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  RichmondFebruary 28, 2018
The company charges way to much. A good majority of managers and not nice and don’t want to work with other departments. There is a lot of back stabbing and one day you are the greatest employee and the next you’re gone. Do not recommend working there
Nice place to start
Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 14, 2018
Nice place to start. Work environment is ok and the fact that you don't work weekends is a plus and the early shifts are a must as well. Early morning and weekend free!!!!!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Michael and Son. Our community is ready to answer.