Michaels Employee Reviews

Not for a career path
Cashier/Salesperson (Former Employee) –  Olive Branch, MSJanuary 17, 2018
This job was not the best. It's like any retail job, but also with poor management. This is a job I would recommend for a teenager in high school that needs a job for some job experience. On the other hand, my former co-workers were all friendly and I built some great relationships with them.
Pros
Nice co-workers and craft materials
Cons
Poor managment, low pay, no benefits, retail
Early hours, flexible, and rewarding job.
Replenishment Associate (Current Employee) –  Rio Rancho, NMJanuary 17, 2018
Working early mornings is nice since I don't have to interact with customers and can get my work done at a fast pace without interruptions. The managers are nice and competent and the environment is relaxed and focused. The hardest part of the job would be balancing my personal life, such as taking a child to school, however they are very flexible in moving around hours. After the winter holiday seasons, hours are reduced dramatically due to the low volume of customers.

Over all, Michael's is a great place to work. If you can get past the 3/5 am beginning shift, I would recommend this job to anyone wanting a visually rewarding job.
Pros
Little to no contact with customers, good managers, flexible hours visually rewarding.
Cons
Early hours, few hours.
Starter job
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Bee Cave, TXJanuary 17, 2018
This job is for high schoolers and drama queens. Don’t bother. Not a REAL job. Low pay, no benefits, and low hours. No advancement. Starter job to fill in. Waste of time.
Pros
Cons
No benefits, low pay, low hours
relaxing work place with friendly people
Lash Stylist (Current Employee) –  Worth, ILJanuary 16, 2018
making calls, taking clients, lash tech, rebooking long time clients
I learned a lot assisting a stylist.
a lot of friendly and caring people to work with.
Always a productive day
Replenishment Associate and Cashiering (Former Employee) –  South Gate, CAJanuary 16, 2018
Working at Michael's was always a busy days even when it was slow but helping customers when needed was one of the best things to do. We get to have a quick conversations while helping them with what they need.
what i learned vs what i was taught
Replenishment Crew (Current Employee) –  Stamford, CTJanuary 16, 2018
what i leaned :
Michaels don't really like to supply you with the materials you need but expect everything that they ask you to do to be done at a certain time .

A typical day without customers are very productive .
With customers you get nothing done because if you're like me and know the location of almost everything and have excellent customer service you don't turn down a customer.

The hardest pat of the job is on your feet game planning , meaning fixing a problem without over using your time .

The most enjoyable part to me is knowing what my boss needs before they ask and My Finished Filled Displays .
Its ok as a starting job
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDJanuary 16, 2018
Its is a good environment to work in, seasonal hours are great but as soon as the season is over hours get pulled back. Hardest part of the job is the customers because sometimes you can be the nicest person to them and its still not what they want. At the same time the customers are what make it enjoyable, just interacting with others and helping them make something and giving them ideas on how they can do is fun.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Not enough work hours
Great out of Highschool Job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 16, 2018
Treats their employees terribly. Needs better benefits.

Can be a fun place to work if you are creative, but not for the average person. You need knowledge about products and projects if you are going to work there.
Pros
Easy
Cons
Low Compensation
productive place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 16, 2018
this is a lovely company to work for , if I had the opportunity to work here again I would take the chance . the staff is very professional and organized
Relaxed work environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Surprise, AZJanuary 15, 2018
I was a cashier here and I never had a problem working here. I actually enjoyed it very much. it was stress free for the most part. the holiday season its always busy but it was still a great working environment. And management was great
Not extremely easy to advance, hours are constantly cut.
Certified Custom Framing Associate (Former Employee) –  Bay Shore, NYJanuary 15, 2018
I worked at Michael's for 2 years. I enjoyed my coworkers and most of my managers however the only reason i was able to advance is because one of the other framers and myself were constantly bugging management to train me. It took them almost 5 months to finally agree to train me despite being short handed and when I did get the position my hours were constantly being cut and they weren't very flexible with my school schedule.
Overall good part time job
Cashier duties (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COJanuary 15, 2018
Honestly the worst thing about working here were the customers. Management overall treated me well. The training was a bit minimal and sometimes they would schedule me on days and times I said I couldn't work, but overall management was easy to work with
Pros
staff discount, laid back
Cons
scheduling
You're just an employee
Accountant/Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Coeur d'Alene, IDJanuary 15, 2018
You make way less than you should and almost everyone is part time. You cannot live off wages from Michaels. It is an ok job to get your foot in the door to find something better
A awesome place to work
Unloader/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Vista, CAJanuary 15, 2018
I loved every minute working for Michaels Craft Store. I was a early morning truck unloader and stocker. I loved every minute of it. I was always able to get my section done and help someone else at theirs. I always knew what was on sale first and was able to buy it before anyone else. The management was awesome and was always asking for ways to improve themselves.
Pros
Good discounts and amazing people to work with
Cons
it was a 1am to 10am job
Fun environment
Replenishment Associate (Former Employee) –  Merced, CAJanuary 15, 2018
30% off discount. I had great coworkers. Great place to be if you have art experience already, you'll be vital to the team if you have a well rounded knowledge on the types of arts we sell.
Fun place
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDJanuary 14, 2018
You will learn basic knowledge of till operations such as computer technology. You will learn how each project procedure can be different. You will get to know the product before you sell it
Pros
Great co workers
Cons
Short breaks
Productive and Positive workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJanuary 14, 2018
Working at Michaels has been one of my favorite jobs. There were rarely any rude customers, all of the employees were very friendly and helpful. There was always a fun atmosphere when working there.
Terrible place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  west HIllsJanuary 13, 2018
It was not a nice place to work. Drained the the life out of me every second I spent there. Low pay, no benefits, nothing nice to say about the place.
Friendly environment
Replenish Crew (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 13, 2018
Michael's is a good place to work, an to get retail an customer service experience for new people to the working world.
the Challenge of the job would be Unloading the Delivery trucks. Strength an Will power is good to have with a bit of Speed as well.
I have learned how to Categorize inventory to the T knowing what goes where how to read SKU codes an numbers.
An average day would consist of Organizing and stocking needed inventory, Putting up Seasonal Displays as well as assisting customer needs an request.
Pros
Educates on Organization an Creativity
Cons
a little Time Consumption at times.
fast paced. independent.
Inventory Specialist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 13, 2018
A typical shift would include coming in between 10 p.m. and midnight, unloading merchandise from the truck and putting them out on the floor, then scanning the products and put them out on the shelves and dealing with any of the overstock.
Pros
great manager
Cons
short breaks, inconsistent hours and schedule

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Michaels. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9