Michaels Employee Reviews

Found 5,658 reviews matching the search See all 6,154 reviews
Fun Place to work.
Replenishment Associate/ Cashier/ Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Hawthorne, CAFebruary 8, 2019
I loved working at Michaels. Everyone there treats everyone with respect. The managers are very understanding and work with your schedule. Communication was always good.
Pros
Employee Discount
Cons
Not enough hours
Fun workplace with lots of things to do
Sales associate/Replenishment/Class teacher (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 20, 2019
I love working at Michaels, my favorite place to work. A typical day consists of stocking shelves and helping customers. Ive learned how to take care of customers and how to work with others. Management is amazing. Workplace culture is great, were a family. Hardest part of the job is unloading truck every week. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping customers find what they need and having them happy.
Pros
Discounts and a sense of family in the workplace
Cons
I would like more hours
Stressful and unbalanced.
Customer Experience Manager: Operations (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJanuary 29, 2019
High and not always realistic expectations lends to stressful work environment. Consistently understaffed across multiple locations. questionable process decisions concerning roll out of new programs before fully tested and optimized. Pay does not balance with workload and expectations.
Fun Place to Work, Great Flexible Hours, Cares about employees
Stock Replenishment Asscioate / Cashier (Current Employee) –  Fenton, MIFebruary 5, 2019
If you are apart of the Replenishment Team you usually work early mornings during the week. They usually scheduale you 3-4 during the beginning of the year and 4-5 days during the summer/ fall/ christmas season.
Pros
Cares about employees
Productive fun place to work at.
Customer service, cashiering, truck crew. (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaJanuary 9, 2019
Easy going, fun place, great for students, flexible hours. I recommed this place over and over again. Nover had an issue when a family emergengy happend.
Repetitive job but management is good
Customer Service Associate and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Folsom, CAJanuary 6, 2019
Overall, the management has been good the last 3 years I’ve been there and most of the coworkers are nice. There is no issue with favoritism at this job. The mangers work hard, so you never feel like you’re doing more than you’re paid to do.
However, cashiering can get hectic at times because there are thousands of items in the store and sale sign mix ups can get customers frustrated.
Pros
decent breaks at 15 minutes every 2 hrs, they randomly give food or treats to staff, usually some form of holiday party or food given
Cons
Lots of items in the store can get overwhelming when customers ask you to find something
Puts the company over the people they hire
Project Manager / Subject Matter Expert (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXJanuary 22, 2019
In 2006 they released over 80% of the IT workers to use offshore resources and lost 75% of the knowledge the skilled onshore employees had for their areas of the business.
Pros
Cons
Released people from employment with faulty LP statements.
Good place for part time hrs
NIGHT/WEEKEND MANAGER/STORE ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Murfreesboro, TNFebruary 12, 2019
The most enjoyable part of my job was working with the customers. Helping them find product and coming up with fun ideas for kids to do. Management was wonderful and would work with you.
Great place to work...
Part Time Customer Experience Manager (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 6, 2019
I enjoyed my time here. There are a lot of things to learn about all the merchandise they offer. Pretty good employee discount. Normally you can work as much as you want within 35 hours per week. They normally only offer part time work; full time and benefits are only offered for managers.
Pros
Good employee discount, friendly employees
Cons
No full time positions offered
Great place and awesome discounts
KNITTING INSTRUCTOR, CASHIER, TRAINER (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, OHJanuary 21, 2019
I walked into Michael's as a customer and was offered a job and hired on the spot (yay me!). They were a great bunch to work with and when I left I was welcome to come back at any time. I got a full time job closer to my home and had to take it. (newly single)
Pros
Great discount, made some good friends
Great Place to work I just got stuck with bad Management
Floor Associate, Cashier, and Teacher (Former Employee) –  Leesburg, VAJanuary 19, 2019
Decent place, if you enjoy crafting I completely recommend it. It's mainly just helping customers find things, working the register, teaching classes, and putting product away. I just got stuck with bad managers.
Efficient and friendly
Sales Associate/ Fine Art Instructor (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAJanuary 18, 2019
This place was a home and family for me for two years and always will be. I have enjoyed being able to put smiles on our customers faces and watching my coworker do the same.
Customer service job for kids with nothing in their lives.
Arts and Crafts Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 2, 2019
Start with minimum wage, only a few full time positions, the rest are part time and you barely get more than 20 hours a week, and only work 5 hours a day so they don't give a lunch break. Management was unorganized and were constantly replacing employees. Don't think about getting to know your coworkers, they'll either leave or you won't even talk to them. The creative customers were the best part of the job, you wanted to try your shot at everything in the store, from painting to baking.
Pros
creative customers
Cons
no work community, bad management, low wages, and no hours.
Fun place to work nice discounts
Replenishment freight specialist (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VAFebruary 4, 2019
I like the job and the discounts. The pay and hours are not sufficient. They are very flexible with your schedule. The people and customers are nice. No health care benefits. No paid leave.
Pros
30% employee discounts
Cons
Not enough pay or hours.
Fast Pace
Cashier, Stocking, Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Roswell, GAJanuary 17, 2019
Check to make sure you have all the cashiers and staff needed for the night. Take care of any customer that needs any help. Clean the hole store. Close down the store.
Pros
Knowledgeable
Cons
Pass Judgement easily
Quick paced but friendly environment
Custom Framing Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNJanuary 5, 2019
I enjoyed working at Michaels. The staff were all very fun to work with. We worked hard when the store was busy or switching seasons but when it was quiet, we took the opportunity to relax and straighten shelves while having a bit of fun.
Very fast paced around holidays
Part-time Cashier-Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Ellicott City, MDJanuary 5, 2019
I am a people person so I love interacting with the community and assisting customers. I enjoy crafts and can sometimes assist or suggest different products.
Pros
flexible works
Cons
Hours fluctuate so you never know what salary you will be bringing home in any given pay period.
Michaels was a great job of being completely honest! Fast paced, productive, and a very friendly environment, it’s just the pay is not as good.
Retail Sales Associate and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCJanuary 2, 2019
Michaels was a surprisingly easy job, there wasn’t a day where I did not want to work, I do recommend Michaels but for a second job because you won’t be able to do all the things you want to do with that small source of income. It more so help if you’re in school and working
Pros
Productive, friendly
Cons
Pay is low, hours are decent
A good retail job for a college student!
Cashier and Customer Service Staff (Former Employee) –  Hadley, MAJanuary 2, 2019
I was a college student working part-time at Michaels in Hadley, MA. The management was overall a bit disorganized, but personable and understanding. For the most part, my co-workers were friendly, helpful and just a great group of people to work with. My managers were flexible and always treated me with respect. They were accommodating towards my crazy school schedule and allowed me to call out during finals week. Employees were always quick to support each other and the customers were pleasant. I unfortunately had to quit because school was a priority and I wasn't making enough money to stay. However, I would recommend this specific store to busy college students looking to make a bit of extra money.
Pros
flexible, team focused, good benefits
Cons
little job security and advancement opportunities
Very busy.
Merchandise Stocking Associate (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, CAFebruary 6, 2019
I did a lot of merchandise stocking. We started very early in the morning. I enjoyed working for them. Very friendly environment. I liked how their time clock works. They encourage to punch in and out on exact time. They also had a website so you can check your schedule online. Very casual place to work. My fellow associates were friendly, and also store manager friendly as well. Other than the fact that it was seasonal, I would definitely work there again.
Pros
Snack and soda machines!
Cons
No benefits.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Michaels. Our community is ready to answer.

51.7K
42K
31.6K

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight