Michaels Employee Reviews

Found 5,452 reviews matching the search See all 5,920 reviews
Not worth the pay
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 14, 2018
The job is not hard. You would do what any cashier or sales associate would anywhere else. The issue is that you do not get paid enough. Barely above minimum wage and you only get about .20 cents a year for a raise. If you stay at the job longer than 4 months they basically have you running around in every department except framing and management. I was hired as a cashier and now have worked in almost every department. You don't get enough breaks compared to other places. Very hard to advanced or change positions and if they tell you they are switching you it will take months for that to actually happen. Its not awful for a seasonal job but you can make so much more else where for the same work. You do get decent hours though. Scheduling is pretty flexible. You can call out if sick, just do not make it a habit.
Pros
Flexible, job culture, good hours
Cons
pay, short breaks, little advancement
A nice first job
Replenishment/Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 15, 2018
Expectations for most positions in the store are pretty realistic. Having experienced nearly all positions in my store, they're all relatively beginner friendly and make for a good first job, especially cashiering/working the floor. Holidays (black friday-Christmas) are VERY high volume, so be prepared to really be putting in work during those times. Otherwise, Michaels generally seems to look out for their employees and all of my experience with management has been relatively positive. My store was very growth-oriented if you worked for it and made your longterm goals clear. Be ready to see a lot of older ladies and also parents doing their kids school projects.
Pros
30% discount, strong holiday spirit (if you're into that), lighthearted workplace, annual raises
Cons
lack of full time positions, busy seasons are no joke
Good company with a lot of potential, and benefits.Only lacks high class supervision and respect for employes
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 14, 2018
During my time at Michaels,I was always pleased with the pay and benefits.Then i realized coaches and managers didn’t pay much attention to employees who slack off. Causing better employees who work hard to work harder or getting in trouble for others mistakes That always seemed to cause frustration between employees, and make harder workers not work as hard. All in all the work was fairly easy but things were made more difficult due to management and other employees slack.
Pros
Pay, Benefits
Cons
Management, employees
Fun and rewarding company to work for. Family and charity oriented.
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXOctober 24, 2018
A typical day at work is usually very task oriented but, mostly manageable if enough team members are scheduled. It was very important that days and weeks were planned in advanced but, being a retail business, we had to be flexible too. I most enjoyed talking to customers about projects and teaching new hires. It was really rewarding to see a new team member become invested in the company. By the time I left Michaels I had learned to be more aware of my management style and was always excited when I learned something new. I would definitely recommend Michaels as a good place to work.
Pros
Employee discount, benefits for full time and part time employees
Cons
Need longer training period for new SMs not familiar with a Michaels Store and procedures.
A good company to work for as a Part-Time Assistant
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ramsey, NJNovember 21, 2018
A typical day is providing customer service and making sure store is clean.
I have learned how to provide assistance when assisting with craft projects.
The workplace culture is a very busy store. The hardest part of the job sometimes is being able to multi-task and provide assistance depending on how busy the store is. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with other employees who are very friendly and team players.
Pros
Management provides free coffee and always providing food during certain times of year.
Cons
The company does not provide medical benefits to Part-Time Associates
Not great
sales associate (Current Employee) –  Lapeer, MIAugust 30, 2018
Pays minimum wage and I only recieved one very small raise in the year and a half I have worked there. Hours arent very good since only managers are allowed to be full time which means all other employees get no beneifts whatsoever. Also no real job advancement. Most of the other employees are the only good thing about working there. Biggest complaint is that the store manager too focused on making rude customers happy rather than keeping employees happy. I dont believe that we should stray from our policies to "make customers happy" because then they get used to special treatment and act that way each time they are in. It is not fair that we have to treat customers like they are higher up than we are when we are just trying to make a living.
Pros
30% discount and thats it
Cons
no real benefits, low pay, limited hours, no job advancement
Good for part time or side job, not management career
Customer Experience Manager (Former Employee) –  Vacaville, CANovember 3, 2018
A good job to have right out of high school for some extra money while going to college or as a part time job for a stay at home parent. I would not recommend anyone attempt to work as a manager of any kind for this company. The benefits and pay are below average and the workload is unrealistic. Upper management was burnt out and lost motivation and inspiration in a short period of time. Management turn around was very high.
Pros
Creative environment, craft store
Cons
meager pay, poor benefits, no job security
Don’t waste your time with this company.
Customer Experience Manager (Former Employee) –  Kennesaw, GANovember 8, 2018
Target pays more than managers are even paid. This company doesn’t even pay managers or full time employees enough to live off of. The yearly raise is pocket change. The managers don’t work together as a team, the district manager is very hateful and unappreciative, and there are not enough hours giving to properly cover a store. Four people run that place at night. Don’t waste your time here unless you just want a part time job paying pocket change.
Pros
30% discount. Insurance. That’s all.
Cons
Extremely low pay, hateful work environment, huge work load with short hours.
Unbalanced Work Environment
Stocker/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Westerly, RIOctober 29, 2018
Micheals isn't a bad place to work if your an older adult. Because im only 17 and have graduated early and am on top of that a trans teen I get a-lot of very invasive and personal questions from customers. My co workers are not very good about using my pronouns and are not very helpful when customers misgendered me. I constantly am talked down too
Management is an interesting set up there is a strong lack of communication between employees and management and just employee to employee.
the job itself is calm and not stressful however when you have three different managers asking fr three different sets of rules and expectations it makes it difficult to complete things in a timely manner.
Another problem I encountered was the over-hiring situation. This is very common around the holiday but Micheals hired more employees then they needed even for the holidays and i was only getting one 4 hour shift a week which is in no way near the amount of money that I need to pay rent.
Overall I am excited to leave.
Pros
30% store discount
Cons
Short Breaks, no Benefits, Poor Managemnt
Fun workplace that wasn’t too stressful
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Parker, CODecember 12, 2018
This was my first job. It may have changed within a couple years but Michaels was a great place to work. Management was stern but not overbearing. Gave us initiatives to collect more emails or whatever new task corporate wanted the locations to do.
Customers could be really interesting but overall the job taught me many skills that I have used later on. I was able to get raises in the short time I worked there.
Pros
Breaks, not too stressful
Cons
Low wages, customers
Challenging and rewarding, but also very draining.
Certified Framer (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXAugust 30, 2018
As one of the longer running employees, I was given many responsibilities outside of my work area. While framing itself was a fun and satisfying position, having to do so many other tasks was exhausting. Hours were inconsistent (some weeks 25+, others only around 12). Only received a few extra cents in raises the whole 2 years I worked there.
Sometimes we would have pot lucks or the management would buy food or snacks for the employees to enjoy.
Pros
Friendly staff and management
Cons
Demanding work environment
Average Retail Job
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Thornton, COJuly 16, 2018
The job itself is fine. It's just your typical retail experience. Scanning and bagging, answering questions, keeping the store clean, etc. Normal. Employees also get a really good discount. However, the company is overly customer oriented. So much to the point that managers have refused us breaks because we had to help a customer out instead. We aren't allowed to stop people from stealing products because it's "rude". We aren't allowed to tell customers when we're closing because it's considered "rushing them". I almost lost my job when I told a couple they needed to stop making racist remarks about a coworker. It's fine as a temporary job just to make some money or gain experience. But I would never recommend this place for long term.
Pros
Good employee discounts, fast paced work.
Cons
Management, benefits, company priorities.
Not worth being an employee unless you want store discount
Cashier Supervisor (Former Employee) –  FloridaMay 30, 2018
I was the main cashier supervisor and designated employee trainer, before they removed this full time position from their stores.

Honestly,
it was never worth working there. I could write a well thought out thesis on every key point, elaborating to exhaustion why this is not a company worth investing your time into.

However, since this company didn't invest it's money or training into their employees, it definately is not worth more of my time to continuing to invest the energy to write previously mentioned thesis.

PS: Employee benefits are the same as using a normal company coupon.
Cons
no benefits, long hours with no breaks, rock bottom wages, no advancement due to limited managerial roles, work over time but not allowed over time, no proper training, unprofessional management
Coworkers are nice and I liked the store, but...
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Paducah, KYSeptember 7, 2018
Customers could be very rude and irrational. Dealing with them is definitely the hardest part of the job. Teenagers and young adults were always nice; older people, not so much. My coworkers were always very easy to get along with and almost everyone there had some sort of artsy hobby. Management liked me, but definitely showed favoritism. Some days it was slam-packed, other days you wouldn't get anywhere close to making sales.
Pros
Good part-time and full-time benefits
Cons
Breaks are kinda discouraged
Depends on the store
Art Instructor (Current Employee) –  Glen Allen, VAAugust 11, 2018
I am an art instructor now at #1688. I used to work at 2 stores, the other one is the Va Ctr Store. The West Broad store is wonderful - great manager, great asst. managers, fun to work there, too. Until they cut us back on how many classes we could hold a month, it was really good and I could make enough money to supplement my social security but when they cut us back, I took on the other store. However, that store would not promote the classes, nor let me promote my classes. They would not have schedules out. I printed up my own schedules and they were disposed of. Many times I had people in my classes at West Broad that lived near the VCC store and had no idea they had classes. It wasn't worth my time to work that store.
Pros
Discounts and benefits
Cons
not enough hours
Good Entry-Level Job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAJuly 1, 2018
The Michaels I worked at was VERY organized and well-managed; we were used as a training facility for other Michaels in the area as well. However, because of this, my store manager was often high-strung and this affected the rest of the team on duty. Corporate liked to drop in for surprise visits as well. There aren't a lot of opportunities for advancement or benefits with the part-time positions, though, so I think this job is better suited for High School and College-Age students.
Pros
Great Co-Workers, Interesting Work Environment, Flexible Hours
Cons
Little Benefits, No Opportunities for Advancement, Stressed Management
Great place to work!
Multiple Positions (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, PASeptember 8, 2018
I love being able to help customers make their ideas into an actual project. Outside of knitting, because I am extremely allergic to wool, there is not a department in which I feel uncomfortable helping customers with their purchases. After a lifelong career in education, I love working at Michael’s!
Pros
Being around like-minded people in a store that carries great products.
Cons
Base salaries are low. Salary instability due slow periods, as in all other part-time retail jobs.
Cashier/Sales Associate
Cashier and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYOctober 2, 2018
Normally, I’d work 4/5 to close during the week and 9-5, 12-9 or 11-7 on the weekends.
I was part time and in school, the hours were extremely flexible. You can block out your availability and they will almost always keep your schedule to those hours.

The management left a lot to be desired, but the coworkers made it all worth it. I LOVED being in that store. When people told you about their projects you could just see the passion. You got to share crafting stories and really build a rapport with regulars.

I wouldn’t recommend working this job as a career unless you were management, but as a part time gig it was amazing.
Pros
Coworkers, friendly environment, safe working conditions
Cons
Low paying, management, short breaks, long hours on your feet
Quick-paced but fun
Customer Experience Manager (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 26, 2018
A typical day at Michael's is usually fast-paced, sometimes stressful. I've learned to multi-task, which is very important when dealing with customers and coworkers. Management is typically fair.
The hardest part of the job is multi-tasking. When faced with too many people at once, it begins to get a bit stressful with so many questions. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people you get to meet and work with.
Pros
Nice coworkers
Cons
Lack of benefits, Pay, Schedule
Great place to work short-term
Floral Designer (Former Employee) –  Waynesboro, VAJuly 14, 2018
Working for Michael's was a fantastic opportunity that prepared me for future jobs.My position as floral designer allowed me to autonomously and pushed me to make greater and better decisions revolving around customer service and design-work. This company promotes individualism and personal growth in regards to company values and store knowledge. The hardest part of working with this employer was lack of communication between cooperate and store managers. My favorite part about the job was the ability to achieve personal success and maintaining a pleasant work environment.
Pros
Individual projects, team growth/challenges
Cons
Short lunches, poor benefits/pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Michaels. Our community is ready to answer.

51.6K
41.9K
31.6K

See reviews about

Women's ratings

3.2Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss