Michaels
Happiness rating is 61 out of 100

Michaels Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location
Not your desired location?
Choose a different one
The management at my location often disagreed and gave contradicting task orders and often got frustrated if you took too long on tasks for them. It was standing all day with the absolute minimum breaks.
I worked during senior year of high school and as a student it was alright. The pay was very low so I would not recommend due to pay. I enjoyed workng at michaels only because of the friendly coworkers.
For the amount of work I had to do, the pay was not worth it at all. Not only that, but management made it very unenjoyable. Do not apply here if you can... there are probably better Michaels locations out there.
Like any retail job , it’s long hours in your feet and short breaks. Not much to say you did get more pay on thanksgiving which was on a volunteer basis
Pros
Co workers
Cons
Barley any room for growth
As a first job working here was fairly decent the workload was easy and sometimes enjoyable. The only stressful thing I can remember was the pressures of signing up customers for the reward program which the managers would always talk to you about. Another problem was the coupon policy with certain items that lead to at least one customer complaining every time. Depending on the month work schedules are pretty flexible, during Halloween and Christmas not so much. As a new and first time employee, they take advantage of you by doing things others won't like cleaning the bathrooms and making you stay longer than your shift time if the store is messy or someone doesn't show up which happened a lot, I had to learn how to say no and they stopped asking me most of the time. Although schedules and hours are pretty flexible, If you're in school they don't really consider your time and act like work is the only place you need to be.
Pros
Good coworkers, Flexible
Cons
Rewards system, Pay
Would you recommend working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
My experience at Michaels was very bad I signed up for cashier and they end up put me in inventory which was too much for me so I left the job after two months and they didn’t pay me the last days I worked there
Pros
N/a
Cons
Health issues
The management and staff were rude and racists. I was not trained properly prior to starting work. The manager blamed me when customers would walk out without paying for items from store when in fact was never instructed the protocol for these incidents.
Pros
Cons
Taking breaks were very difficult. Management and staffs were rude and racists.
The store is huge so it can take some time to learn where everything is but the pay is great especially for HS students ($10+). Friendly coworkers and generally nice managers.
Pros
Good pay, nice coworkers, good hours
Cons
Gets pretty busy
Working at Michaels was a great place to work for a while. I enjoyed helping the customers out and I personally enjoyed the experience. There were times when I personally got frustrated with management.
Store managers are decent people most of the time the District managers are useless the whole structure of the company is off when only certain stores have assistant stores managers and the rest just have operations managers so they don’t have to pay them as much
Pros
Custom framing
Cons
Everything else
At Michael's everyone is nice to you they would help out if you need help the hours are flexible and you get 30% off everything it's a good store to buy alot of school supplies aswell
My store of employees and management alike became my family. I miss them dearly. If I hadn't moved, I would've stayed with the company much longer--I'd even return if I could find the same pay/position at another location. A definite positive life experience surrounded by creative and helpful people. Especially a great environment for those who are the type to take "lead" and take their own initiative at manifesting what they want out of a job. I regard my time there with warm memories and smiles.
this company is not what it use to be, since it was sold in 2010. Current ownership only cares about profit, under using hours making it hard for employees to get orders done on time in framing and keeping the store clean. Management play's stupid and forgets any conversation they had with any sales associate regardless of leaving notes for them.
nice place to work, everyones friendly and makes you feel welcomed. Management also makes sure you are taken care of and helps you whenever you need it.
Work smart Ask work questions Be flexible in your schedule Appreciate the customers Talk to the customer, can learn from them as well Have fun with the job, makes it easier go be present and it can self rewarding
The pay I posted is minimum wage for my area. Any (non management) position is minimum wage. So let’s talk about retail. Do you like to rip your hair out? Cry in the bathroom? Get yelled at by karens? Cool! But a craft store is different, right? While crafts are great, having slime on your clothes is not. You should probably wear old jeans (just not to the interview) The pay is low and expectations are high. All non management positions are part time, scheduled weekly or biweekly with irregular hours. You could get 15 or 30 hours, sometimes just 7. It’s a mystery, and not something that will help you pay your bills. Good customer service experience, but that’s it.
Although my time was short at Michael's I would say that it was the best job I had work environment wise. There is little to no drama between staff members, everyone helps each other out, and communication is clear. Everyone understands what is expected of them and puts their best foot forward in order to get tasks done and assist customers efficiently. It can be hectic on the weekends and become overwhelming, but it is manageable.
When i worked there, it was good to start. Then when i transfer to another job, it got sour. General manager was cool but stock manager was rude and didnt care
Pros
Breaks
Cons
No help
You’d think Michaels is a decent place to work at and they treat you like you’re a real human being until you realize the company is having too many problems to where it has even face discrimination changes through the EEOC.
Pros
Discount
Cons
It treats employees that aren’t from US worst than ......
A typical day at Michaels included clocking in, then going to get my register. Sign in and process sales of goods to include: cash, credit, debit, tax exempt and checks. There were also coupons that were processed. Breaks varied depending on length of time you were working on a particular day. I am grateful that I had such a wonderful team to work with.
The store I was at got shipments once a week. That day would often be the only day of the week I was scheduled for, and would be scheduled around when the truck would arrive at the store, often at 3:00 a.m. It would generally consist of unloading the truck, stocking the shipment on to the sales floor, stocking repack, and taking the cardboard boxes to the back to be compacted. Fast Paced without a lot of downtime. So if you're want a job that you'll stay busy and won't be bored that's a plus. But be prepared to often have only one shift a week. The shifts I was scheduled for were from about 4 to 5.5 hours long. This was often Not a reasonable amount of time to complete all tasks, and my coworkers and I would often end up staying past our schedule to finish the truck. We could leave at any time but I assume most people didn't want to leave the rest of it to those who stayed. There were also no scheduled breaks. We were free to go to the bathroom any time and you could probably take a break if you needed to, but there were no standard breaks. The longest day I worked there was 8 hours, but usually it would be about 6. Some other things I found frustrating were; constantly having to deal with excessive overstock for various items, The seasonal section of the store is not labeled with bar codes, and the RF scanner will not show which isle the item is in so you have to waste time looking for it. The drive isles are have labels for the items, but there is no way to look up where the drive isle is located. I don't know if this is common for retail stores because this is my first - more...
  1. Employee Reviews