Michaels
64Average
Here to help: Coronavirus update

Michaels Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location
Not your desired location?
Choose a different one
Ashburn, VA105 reviews
Confusing management with little breaks
The management at my location often disagreed and gave contradicting task orders and often got frustrated if you took too long on tasks for them. It was standing all day with the absolute minimum breaks.
Good store to work at
At Michael's everyone is nice to you they would help out if you need help the hours are flexible and you get 30% off everything it's a good store to buy alot of school supplies aswell
Fun and fast-paced place to work
My store of employees and management alike became my family. I miss them dearly. If I hadn't moved, I would've stayed with the company much longer--I'd even return if I could find the same pay/position at another location.

A definite positive life experience surrounded by creative and helpful people. Especially a great environment for those who are the type to take "lead" and take their own initiative at manifesting what they want out of a job.

I regard my time there with warm memories and smiles.
what's it worth
this company is not what it use to be, since it was sold in 2010. Current ownership only cares about profit, under using hours making it hard for employees to get orders done on time in framing and keeping the store clean. Management play's stupid and forgets any conversation they had with any sales associate regardless of leaving notes for them.
nicey
nice place to work, everyones friendly and makes you feel welcomed. Management also makes sure you are taken care of and helps you whenever you need it.
When you have a supportive Manager, it works well
Work smart
Ask work questions

Be flexible in your schedule

Appreciate the customers

Talk to the customer, can learn from them as well

Have fun with the job, makes it easier go be present and it can self rewarding
Minimum Wage, Maximum Effort
The pay I posted is minimum wage for my area. Any (non management) position is minimum wage.
So let’s talk about retail.

Do you like to rip your hair out? Cry in the bathroom? Get yelled at by karens? Cool! But a craft store is different, right?

While crafts are great, having slime on your clothes is not. You should probably wear old jeans (just not to the interview)

The pay is low and expectations are high. All non management positions are part time, scheduled weekly or biweekly with irregular hours. You could get 15 or 30 hours, sometimes just 7. It’s a mystery, and not something that will help you pay your bills. Good customer service experience, but that’s it.
Fast-paced enviornment
Although my time was short at Michael's I would say that it was the best job I had work environment wise. There is little to no drama between staff members, everyone helps each other out, and communication is clear. Everyone understands what is expected of them and puts their best foot forward in order to get tasks done and assist customers efficiently. It can be hectic on the weekends and become overwhelming, but it is manageable.
It ok
When i worked there, it was good to start. Then when i transfer to another job, it got sour. General manager was cool but stock manager was rude and didnt care
Pros
Breaks
Cons
No help
Where you’re surrounded by grandmas
You’d think Michaels is a decent place to work at and they treat you like you’re a real human being until you realize the company is having too many problems to where it has even face discrimination changes through the EEOC.
Pros
Discount
Cons
It treats employees that aren’t from US worst than ......
Working for Michael's was very enjoyable. The manager was very helpful and the co workers were also helpful. It was a great environment to work in.
A typical day at Michaels included clocking in, then going to get my register. Sign in and process sales of goods to include: cash, credit, debit, tax exempt and checks. There were also coupons that were processed. Breaks varied depending on length of time you were working on a particular day. I am grateful that I had such a wonderful team to work with.
Frustrating
The store I was at got shipments once a week. That day would often be the only day of the week I was scheduled for, and would be scheduled around when the truck would arrive at the store, often at 3:00 a.m. It would generally consist of unloading the truck, stocking the shipment on to the sales floor, stocking repack, and taking the cardboard boxes to the back to be compacted. Fast Paced without a lot of downtime. So if you're want a job that you'll stay busy and won't be bored that's a plus. But be prepared to often have only one shift a week.

The shifts I was scheduled for were from about 4 to 5.5 hours long. This was often Not a reasonable amount of time to complete all tasks, and my coworkers and I would often end up staying past our schedule to finish the truck. We could leave at any time but I assume most people didn't want to leave the rest of it to those who stayed. There were also no scheduled breaks. We were free to go to the bathroom any time and you could probably take a break if you needed to, but there were no standard breaks. The longest day I worked there was 8 hours, but usually it would be about 6.

Some other things I found frustrating were; constantly having to deal with excessive overstock for various items, The seasonal section of the store is not labeled with bar codes, and the RF scanner will not show which isle the item is in so you have to waste time looking for it. The drive isles are have labels for the items, but there is no way to look up where the drive isle is located. I don't know if this is common for retail stores because this is my first
 - more...
The Management was so poor and rude
Last store managers at Gaithersburg were pathetic. No sense to talk with other co workers or with me. That's the reason I would never recommend this job.
Stressful, underpaid
Most of my coworkers were leaving after me. The management needed some work and the store needed to train the newer hires a bit more. My relationship with my coworkers was peaceful and enjoyable.
Pros
Mandatory lunch breaks
Cons
Store manager had attitude
Good experience
Great part time job. Perfect for full time students looking to gain a bit of experience as well as some money. Good atmosphere for younger people looking for an interesting job.
Horrible Management and Toxic Environment
Working for a company that has a 90% turnover rate, you know it's going to be bad. However, I beat the odds and managed to stay for a year and 2 months. I worked part-time to earn some money for college, however I was only able to make $5,000 for the entire year on a $10/hr salary. The hours were inconsistent, where often I would average only 6 hours a week. Management can be summed up as toxic, where people would be fired over text or sometimes not alerted at all. There was constant gossiping in the break rooms between managers about employees behind their backs. A manager texted me to say that a coworker of mine's FATHER had just DIED. A coworker of mine found out she had been fired because she hadn't been scheduled for 3 weeks. The customers in the area are disgusting, I have had to witness fecal matter and vomit all over the bathrooms and even the aisles. I can't blame that on the store though. The ONLY reason why I continued to work at Michael's was because my parents wanted me to have a job. I can't speak for the company as a whole, but this particular location is horrible and my advice for anyone wanting to work at Michael's is RUN.
Pros
Money
Cons
Literally everything
I'm not sure what kind of review you want
I have worked at Michaels for five years now. I like most people i work with. i do my job, i go home. I'm wish i could get benefits as part time but it is what it is
Pros
Pros? Having a job.
Cons
Having to my own job on top of other peoples
Good for quiet and relaxed people; not the most fair with pay
Calm and slow paced. Would walk around and helped anyone who looked lost or might've needed an opinion on something. Management was mostly in the back doing there own thing. Colleagues were great to work with, some were older and humble, others were younger and cheery. The pay was the most annoying part. They specifically told us a couple days in to not discuss our pay with each other, and we quickly found out that it was because some were getting paid nearly two dollars more than others for doing the same job. So if a company asks for the pay you want, aim high. I didn't figure this out until more recently.
Pros
discounts, relaxed dress code, great customers
Cons
short breaks, boring at times
Fast-Paced and you meet new people all day
A typical day at work consisted of helping customers with lists of items they needed and helping associates who had questions regarding products or customer complaints.
I learned to become a strong individual leader as well as how to successfully delegate work across the store to ensure a a clean and successful workplace.

The most difficult part of the job would most likely be having to deal with certain customers who never seemed to be satisfied, but this is typical of retail.

The most enjoyable aspect of this store is people truly love it. Being it is a seasonal store, the stock of products is always being flipped and updated according to the season.
Solid work but payroll is AWFUL
Michael's has been good to me in the almost 3 years I've been here. But lately it has been ridiculous. The company is slashing so much payroll in order to save money, that our store is barely functioning. I'm the Replenishment manager but have been reduced to working floor shifts lately because we can't afford floor people. Most people are getting less than 10 hours per week most of the time. Sometimes we operate with just a manager, and a cashier. That's it. It makes it incredibly stressful for managers to handle the floor, the registers, and any other issues meanwhile being stuck on register to try to reduce the long lines of angry customers. This company is trying to squeeze as much as they can from their employees and giving them almost no hours to do their work. It's insane.
Pros
30% discount, Free classes, room for growth
Cons
Barely any hours, insane workload for little time given
Learning Experience
I enjoyed the job and enjoyed how well my peers worked alongside me. The job could be very stressful at times. The best part of the job was helping customers with invoking their sense of creativity.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Work Benefits, Low Pay, Inconsistent hours
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Michaels. Our community is ready to answer.
2K
InHerSight Score
2.3Personal Development
3.4Career Opportunities
2.5Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight