Michaels Employee Reviews

51.5K
41.8K
31.4K
Found 5,033 reviews matching the search See all 5,465 reviews
Great way to get into retail
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  West Melbourne, FLAugust 14, 2018
Michaels is a really great place to work. It's a great company to get started in retail with. Management and other coworkers are awesome. It really feels like family. Customers can get a little aggressive, but that's retail for you. Overall, Michaels is great, and I enjoyed my employment there.
It sucks!!
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Victorville, CAAugust 14, 2018
It is a c rap job with c rap paid with c rap managers. They care for nothing for the employees. This was one of the worse jobs I ever had to deal with, I am happy everyday I don't work there.
Not Fantastic
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Longview, WA 98632August 14, 2018
I applied for an entirely different position than I was placed. I was placed into that position, because I was pretty and seemed like a people person. Rarely were people happy working there and when anyone was reprimanded by the store manager, the manager stood entirely to close and with them being a large individual it could make it feel rather intimidating.
Pros
Learned new skills
Cons
None of the employees seemed happy with the hours, the way the store was run, anything at all.
Terrible place, terrible management, terrible everything.
Replenishment Associate (Former Employee) –  Lapeer, MI 48446August 14, 2018
My Michaels job was just the worst. To be fair in the beginning under the original store manager, things were so much better and less stressful. Then we got a new store manager and everything went to heck. As a stocker and truck unloaded, they have unrealistic time expectations and you will get written up for being slow. Or anything simple at all. They never drop off either, so good luck being a lifer or even getting full time, which was only management at my store. Its chosen unfairly and by favoritism of the store manager. Nothing more, not by skill or work ethic, nothing less. 2 managers were good when I was there, not sure anymore. The pay is also minimum wage, which is fine, but in my opinion not worth the lack of hours for 8 months out of the year and the horrible leaders of the store. Good luck.
Fun place to work
Support specialist (Current Employee) –  Clarksville, TNAugust 13, 2018
Get work environment
You learn great skills for customers severs
Managements is amazing
nothing really hard as long as you love helping customers
Pros
Very understanding
Cons
Only part time
Fun place to work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Waterford, CTAugust 13, 2018
Michael's craft store was one of my favorite jobs. Being able to work around things you enjoy doing makes for a great place to be. Co-workers were always nice. Management was great.
Pros
Great team projects.
Cons
No benefits.
Amazing team, hard work tho
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Annapolis, MDAugust 13, 2018
Michaels has an amazing team of people.
However the hours are long, the work is hard and you get paid very little.
It is a customer-oriented company which is great. There is little to no work-life-balance. If the store is busy you get little to no breaks.
Pros
employee discount on top of sales
Its ok i guess
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHAugust 13, 2018
Cool work but nothing to live off of though they kind of had really ridiculous incentives like getting people to sign up for emailing and even i already did they wanted me to do it again and if they say no they make it my fault and lower my hours like thats the only reason they let me work is to get people to sign up for an optional service bs
Pros
Good work pace
Cons
No real money
Loved my job but my position was eliminated.
Floral Design Specialist (Former Employee) –  Robinson Township, PAAugust 12, 2018
I start working for Michaels as a floral designer on February 1999. I loved my job since Michaels was giving me a total freedom to design and create. I maintain high sales and great customer service for over 19 years. Always preformed top 25 in the company. I was very happy even things were changing and we had less hours to design and create even during holidays and high season. Unfortunately my job was eliminated and I got laid off after almost 20 years. It is very sad that I can’t continue my job anymore!
Pros
Free classes- employees discount
Cons
Not enough hours
n/a
Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cypress, TXAugust 12, 2018
My job was great. The environment was like being in high school. I learned what not to be as a leader and I learned to treat people with respect no matter who they are or what their job title was. The hardest part was coming to a toxic work place.
Bad Hours
Replenishment Associate (Former Employee) –  Keller, TXAugust 11, 2018
Generally speaking I enjoyed my position, tasks, and team. However after the holidays ended my hours plummeted. I went from working 30-40 hours a week to 6-9 hours a week.
Depends on the store
Art Instructor (Current Employee) –  Glen Allen, VAAugust 11, 2018
I am an art instructor now at #1688. I used to work at 2 stores, the other one is the Va Ctr Store. The West Broad store is wonderful - great manager, great asst. managers, fun to work there, too. Until they cut us back on how many classes we could hold a month, it was really good and I could make enough money to supplement my social security but when they cut us back, I took on the other store. However, that store would not promote the classes, nor let me promote my classes. They would not have schedules out. I printed up my own schedules and they were disposed of. Many times I had people in my classes at West Broad that lived near the VCC store and had no idea they had classes. It wasn't worth my time to work that store.
Pros
Discounts and benefits
Cons
not enough hours
Good as a stepping stone
Custom Art Framer, Cashier, Retail (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYAugust 10, 2018
Hours were chopped up:
4 hour shift here, 7 hour shift there

Otherwise I enjoyed the predictability

I loved the management

Overall I found the culture tolerable, The corporate atmosphere stomach-able, the customers generally approachable and friendly. It was a very straight forward position, and the radio headsets helped a lot with finding out answers to questions.
Pros
30% off?
Cons
Squeeze the life out of each employee
fast paced at times
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVAugust 10, 2018
A good job for a college student or someone who likes crafts and can benefit from the discounts. It has easy going management but can be frustrating working for a corporate business
Fun and Energetic workplace for a craft store!
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOAugust 9, 2018
LOVED working at Michael's! Managers were very Respectful and understanding and very hands on with their employees! I had so much fun working their before I moved away! Happy atmosphere!
Pros
You get to work around crafts!
Cons
Didn't get any benefits but that's because I was part time.
good for young teens
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Enfield, CTAugust 9, 2018
working at Michaels was a good starter job for young teens in high school who are looking to put a little money in their pockets . they are reasonable and fair
Unprofessional management and rude coworkers. No communication between management and staff. No hours to work. Low pay.
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Scranton, PAAugust 8, 2018
Highly uneducated unprofessional management! Belittles employees ! No hours given to work and low pay . Rude co-workers ! I have worked in retail for many years and this is the WORST place I have ever dealt with.
Pros
None !
Cons
No hours given to work ! Uneducated management!
Sucked
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, NHAugust 8, 2018
The management was very poor. Managers would ignore the hours you could work and would schedule you even if you said you couldn't work. Would argue with you over headset for all workers to hear and would sit in their office all day instead of helping.
Fun Place to work
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Stafford, VAAugust 8, 2018
It was an okay place to work. What i did was unload the truck when it came in and would unpack the products that came in on the truck and place them on the shelves that they need to be placed on.
Pros
Good Hours
Cons
No insurance an low pay
Promising, but no payoff.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Glen Allen, VAAugust 7, 2018
My duties include stocking, fronting, and facing shelves, cashier work, answering phone calls, assisting customers on the sales floor, and general cleaning duties. When first hired, I was told I would be cross trained into the framing department. When I began working, they liked my work ethic and informed me I would be trained as a rising part-time manager. Since then, they have consistently scheduled me for two days a week and have not followed through on training. On several occasions my online schedule has not been accurate. Overall, the job has worked out to be unstable and a weak source of income. Normally I would not include my reasons for leaving on my resume, but I feel the drastic decrease in work hours from my previous job to my current needs explanation.
Pros
Not overworked.
Cons
Few hours.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Michaels. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.3Fairygodboss Score

67%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

33%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss