Michaels Employee Reviews

Found 5,299 reviews matching the search See all 5,753 reviews
I loved being in the frame shop
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COOctober 22, 2018
I found this to be a very creative career. Great steady work. Enjoyable atmosphere. I had great reliable returning customer. I enjoyed knowing the trade.
Pros
Every day was something new
Cons
Management was heavily relied upon whether the deserve it or not
Good part time job
Replenishment Team/Retail Sales (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, OROctober 22, 2018
Started out in the replenishment team. Requires ability to work independently and has very strict guidelines to complete assignment given. Team as a whole was a great group and the more experienced helped with the new employees.
A multitasking job.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAOctober 22, 2018
Working this job taught me important social skills. I learned how to work the registers, organize stock and provide customer service. Overall, this experience helped me grow as a person.
Fun place to work, horrible management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NVOctober 22, 2018
I started at Michael's the same time I started another seasonal job. I was also attending school. It started out well, I had a pretty good relationship with one of the assistant managers, but the other employees really didn't care for me. I was the only male associate and there was only 1 male manager. When Thanksgiving/Black Friday came up I had told my manager that I was going to be working at my other job for those days and he gave me the choice of either leaving Michael's and working that job for those days or staying and working Michael's those days. I chose to leave Michael's because if they can't work with my schedule I didn't really want to work for them. Also, I never got cash register training so I was always on the floor doing go backs and recovery. I had to grab Christmas trees when we started selling and take them to people's cars and bring in carts as well.
Pros
Fun place to work, decent pay
Cons
Bad Management, not very flexible.
Daily Work Production
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAOctober 21, 2018
Typically, I would run the main register and sometimes handle returns. On some days I would clean and restock items from the front end. Before I started, training was giving on how to manage the registers and how to make returns. Micheals also give daily discounts for people like military, school, and seniors. They would have daily discount coupons up to 40% off.
Pros
nice employees
Cons
part-time, no benefits
Fun place to work with an AMAZING team
Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Estero, FLOctober 21, 2018
Management is fantastic and fun to be around. You have to be a team player with this company but its not hard to fit in. Truck days are hard especially if you live in an are that has seasonal customers.
Pros
Kurig in the breakroom! everone bakes!
Cons
heavy lifting required at some points
Calculating daily monies and deposits. Human resources.
Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAOctober 21, 2018
Morning calculations of previous days transactions and making bank deposits. Learned how to do inventory and ordering and stocking. Was head of the craft department teach children how to create new crafts.
Pros
discounts
Cons
low pay and hours
Michael's is a fast paced work environment
Retail Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OH 43623October 21, 2018
The position was seasonal, rewarding, and not as difficult as I thought it would be. I learned about the different types of arts and crafts. The most difficult thing to do was unloading the trucks.
Pros
Breaks
Cons
Only seasonal employment
Great Management
Replenishment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXOctober 20, 2018
Although the pay was not great, my managers were! They always worked with me and helped me succeed. They are very friendly and would strive to make their associates happy.
Pros
good management, creative space
Cons
low pay, no set schedules
Inspiring!
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Frisco, TXOctober 20, 2018
I stock shelves, make the bins ready to be plucked of the great deals they hold and other product related jobs. The best part about being on the floor during the opening hours is the customers. I learn what they know, and more importantly, what they need to know. From Mums to other kid related crafts; to the more sophisticated art endeavor for the trained artist as well as the inspiring artist, leather maker, jewelry maker, candle maker, they all need inspiration and direction. All of the customers also teach me something new every day. This is the part of the job that is valuable to me. Not only do I get to impart the wisdom I have in every area, I also get to know what the customer needs to know. Every day is new. Every wandering human is a potential student, teacher, customer. I view my job as an employee at Michaels to be one who inspires, and perhaps allows the customer to go to other techniques in order to get the desired effect in their current project. I feel great satisfaction when I see the light go on and the wheels start turning in the customers mind. I am not there to only save the world one craft project at a time, I am there to help the customer help themselves so the next time they com in they know what they want and may have developed a new and exciting technique.

When I am called for register backup it is fun to see the customers I have helped in like with the items they need and new ideas. This makes the check out process easier on them. I know how daunting it can get to have to stand in line and wait. A smile is essential and contagious. When I am at
  more... the register I fee it is my job to remind the customer that what they have in their cart is awesome and that they have make excellent choices.

Yes I would recommend a friend to work at Michaels! I have recommended for many to do so. Medical assistants, strangers I meet at the grocery store (should I be wearing my Michaels shirt and strike up a conversation). YES! Work there! Learn! Teach! Go!
Pros
The staff has effective communication, fellow team members are considerate, the customers are inspiring.
Cons
The RF scanners and walkies need better charging, or extra batteries for back up. These devices are key for effective communication.
A fun, but sometimes fustrating work place. A typical retail job.
Merchandise Stocking and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Casa Grande, AZOctober 19, 2018
My coworkers are fun and make the workplace culture light. The job is easy just replenish the merchandise and build the necessary shelves and mobile shelves. As replenishment member, start times change often and early in the morning. When the truck of merchandise come in, it usually comes in early in the morning, 5 am most often. Manager can be better, does not help often. During truck, manager is not there to tell us where new shipment goes, thus slows us down, because we have to ask the manager every time. Overall, it's a nice place to work, a good place to start if anything.
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSOctober 18, 2018
Fast paced, about the retail end of arts and crafts, management was good, i was in the office most of the day so it was good. Nothing, learning about an industry i didn't know about.
Some times it ok
Framing Manager (Current Employee) –  TexasOctober 17, 2018
There's no training for job but your suppose to be able to do the job anyways. some times the store has two employees in the whole store which leads to customer complains
Fun Workplace
Stocker/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GAOctober 17, 2018
Michaels is a great place to work. The job allows you to be yourself and still be a needed part of the company. While working at Michaels I had a lot of fun.
Theraputic and calm. Positive people
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 17, 2018
So many projects to do and see and learn artistically. So many ideas and motivation and things to learn from both customers and employees. Activities for kids and adults. Helpful staff.
Pros
Location. Discounts.
Cons
Pay was too low
Nice Working Environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Orland Park, ILOctober 17, 2018
Some days are busy and some are slow just like any job, but everyone for the most part is nice and you have the opportunity explore different tasks around the store
Productive Workplace
OPERATIONS MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Stoughton, MAOctober 17, 2018
Michael's is a wonderful place for anyone who is crafty. A typical day is helping customers and stocking. I have learned alot from this company. Michaels does its best to help associates and customers.
Pros
Discount and associates
Ok to work for
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Macon, GAOctober 16, 2018
Michael's is a ok place to work for if u are fresh out of high school and just need to make some cash. because u don't get much hours as u think you would.
Pros
slow days
Cons
Busy feel as if u are working alone with no help from anyone
Great Environment
Replenishment Team (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIOctober 16, 2018
I would work first thing in the morning restocking shelves and setting planograms. It was a great job that I had employees were always in a great mood
A nice first job
Replenishment/Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 15, 2018
Expectations for most positions in the store are pretty realistic. Having experienced nearly all positions in my store, they're all relatively beginner friendly and make for a good first job, especially cashiering/working the floor. Holidays (black friday-Christmas) are VERY high volume, so be prepared to really be putting in work during those times. Otherwise, Michaels generally seems to look out for their employees and all of my experience with management has been relatively positive. My store was very growth-oriented if you worked for it and made your longterm goals clear. Be ready to see a lot of older ladies and also parents doing their kids school projects.
Pros
30% discount, strong holiday spirit (if you're into that), lighthearted workplace, annual raises
Cons
lack of full time positions, busy seasons are no joke

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Michaels. Our community is ready to answer.

51.6K

2.6InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight