Michaels

United States8,491 reviews

Found 8,491 reviews matching the searchSee all 9,278 reviews
craftstoreartdiscountcashierreplenishmentframingcustomer

Mediocre experience

Understaffed at times, would call for backup and no one would help. Management rarely appreciated the hard work that we put in, but overall not a horrible place to work

Pros

Employee discount

Cons

Scheduling

No money, no future

Michaels has no money for labor so the store managers are required to work 60-100 hours to make the stores run. The entire process is broken. No customer service culture and no money to pay anyone but store managers.

Michaels insights

• Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Overall satisfaction

Glitter, Glitter Everywhere

Understaffed. Overworked. Treated like garbage. No clear direction from anyone. Company eliminated DM's. Company eliminates Support Managers. Company has no clue how to grow their business or their people.

Decent pay, Nice people

As a cashier, you really just focus on the front counter and greet customers. Management has changed at least 3 times in the six months I've been here.

Management is lazy and expect so much. They tend to take many break to themselves.

Management expects so much in such little time. Never satisfied. They tend to take many long breaks and are too busy talking. Never wanna carry a radio so they were always unable to reach throughout the store. Whenever they were most needed they were never around. Could sometimes definitely be rude. We were always overworked and underpaid. Never had a set schedule and it would end changing without a headups. Never enough guns for employees so it was hard to fully finish our job in the time allotted. This list could definitely go on. Overall would not recommend this job to anyone.

Very LGBTQIA+ friendly

I started working there before I knew I was nonbinary and they've been so supportive and sweet!I got a new name tag and pronoun stickers and people really try to remember my preferred name and pronouns!One of my managers even made me a BIG pronoun pin because customers kept on misgendering me!

3 years for what

Honestly don't waste your time. You will have to work with what we call a Skelton crew which means a manager 1 cashier and 1 floor person it's a kot of work for little pay and never any thanks or acknowledgment that it's a lot of work and sometimes things just can't get done. And then managers can be very lazy and not do their job.

No hours

They keep cutting hours , upper mgmt is brutal, company was bought out by group Corporation that has no idea how to run a retail store, run run far away

Pros

Cons

Workload

Don’t work here

Most of the people are great but the job, not so much. They don’t give 15 minute breaks and if you ask to take one they get petty and passive aggressive. They don’t listen to their employees feedback at all on anything. If you have a certain day you can’t work and tell them that. They will maybe follow it but chances are after a week or two they stop. They also will change your schedule without telling you or asking you. If you work 2 or more jobs be warned they may change your schedule the day before and just not tell you. Then you get in trouble. They never give raises and everyone is paid different. People who get hired on with no experience or anything will get paid higher than people there 3+ years.

Different manager

I worked there for 2 years and I saw 4 different managers. The turnover rate is extreme and the only reason I gave it a 2 star is because I liked the job. I got to try pretty much everything. However, at the time I was getting paid $10/hour for part time when I needed full time and for the amount of work I did, i was very underpaid. I then only got a .25 pay increase after working for a year and I had the most sales and rewards and the best customer service. To which I found out all the new hires were paid $14/hour. I quit for obvious reasons. Found a much better job too.

Management needs improvement.

As the newbie I was never trained outside of the registers but they expected me to know the sales floor and other duties apart from the front end.Often times I would ask for training, management would ignore me. When asking for a day off because of a personal matter the store manager would ask for details, which you have the right to keep private, but he would insist to know. Overall, worst and most boring job I’ve had.

Nice Staff

The staff are good people… expect too much with the staff they have… I understand that is how things are these days but no time to do office procedures! It’s frustrating to management!

Nothing is good about working at this company

The worst place ever to work. Very unorganized most workers are rude management is the worst ever it’s always drama at the work place no one gets along

Great first job

It was a great first job just because they do not give you many hours during the off-season. It was usually 4-5 hours. The coworkers were great except for the constant cattiness and attitude of the other ladies who had been working there for a while. I just minded my business but it got annoying at times because sometimes the ladies were straight-up rude to each other.

Not the best place if you want hours

I’d highly recommend looking elsewhere. Employees get MAYBE 10hrs a week. They’re lucky if they get to work two days a week. There is always constant loss of hours. Schedule cuts made but not communicated to the management team or to the employees who were cut. No communication whatsoever at the store I was at. The store manager was extremely unprofessional and extremely unhygienic… horrible experience working here.

Pros

Work/life balance

Cons

Not enough hours, shifts are too short, schedule changes happen without any notice to employees

Awesome place

Worked here out of high school. An amazing store manager, shift lead and team. 10/10 recommend for a first job or long term. Pay and hours were low but the work and co-workers made it enjoyable

Stressful with unrealistic, unachievable standards

Part timers get very low pay, very low hours, corporate thinks these team members will be committed and productive. Why would they be? That leaves the store manager to pick up the slack, often working a minimum of 60+ hours per week, and nothing is ever enough. No work life balance. Company expectations are unrealistic and unachievable. People in "support center" are clueless about what it takes to run a store.

Pros

Good discount

Cons

Everything else

Friendly environment, but not worth your time.

I have only worked here for "17" days (more like 4) and they only set me up with 4 hours days, and at one point I only work 8 hours over the course of two weeks. With gas prices and bills going up, this job will not help you be self sustainable. I feel like it's a good place for 16 year olds to start, considering they still live with their parents and do not have to worry about a bunch of bills usually. Also the fact that they get upset that they can't find people to stay is very self inflicted. If you start someone out with only 20 hours, then schedule them 8 the next 2 weeks, they are not going to stay. The staff is Friendly and I appreciate them being so kind.

Pros

Friendly coworkers

Cons

Not enough hours

Zero work life balance

Store managers are paid for 40, expected to be scheduled at least 45 (10 hr day with hour lunch) but you really need to work 60 to get the job done. HR systems are very challenging and stores lack HR support. I would pass if you are looking to work there.

Pros

Discounts are good but not on clearance

Cons

Hours, store manager must work truck even if it is 3rd shift, expected to work days, two other closes. Dms tend to say one thing on recorded calls but do differently in stores.

good and easy job

I worked at the distribution center for almost two years. it was a good and easy job. if you want to learn something new and they will gladly teach you

Pros

nice management, small warehouse

Cons

short breaks

Bad

Literally just bad. If management is bad, good luck. I was scheduled with me and one person every single day to run the entire store. I was miserable everyday.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Michaels. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

2.7
InHerSight Score
2.3Personal Development
3.5Career Opportunities
2.5Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Compare Michaels with

• Michaels
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?