Michaels Culture reviews

Found 1,212 reviews matching the search See all 5,923 reviews
fun
CASHIER (Current Employee) –  Utica, MIDecember 15, 2018
working there you are a part of the family. they will work with you whatever your schedule is in need of. if for some reason you need a day off in the next week they will handle it for you so u can still have a good personal life. everyone that works there is super nice.
Pros
people
Cons
customers
Great
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Township of Hamilton, NJ 08691December 12, 2018
Great place to work. I love my managers and they are very understanding and flexible. I enjoy the quicker pace during the holidays. I have worked replenishment team and as a cashier.
ok place to work.
Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Yakima, WADecember 12, 2018
the job itself was ok. I enjoyed our customers, especially around Christmas time. I had a good crew, outside of management. not a bad place if you need work.
Pros
friendly people
Cons
bad manager who was ultimately let go.
michaels
Replenishment Associate (Former Employee) –  modesto, caDecember 11, 2018
i just enjoyed working for my bosses, my co-workers were nice and hilarious its was fun while it lasted.i wouldn't mind working every Christmas season
Pros
people i worked for and with
Cons
short season
Fun
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSDecember 10, 2018
Working at Michaels is a fun atmosphere for as long as it lasted. Regular non work sanctioned after work outings just for fun. Nice people to work with and nice managers.
Associate friendly environment!
OPERATIONS MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CADecember 5, 2018
I enjoyed working at Michaels. We provided activities for the associates such as celebration dinners and open house for their families. There were monthly town halls with all associates where we reviewed building goals and results as well as provide updates on upcoming activities and corporate communications.
Pros
Open/friendly environment
Cons
Pay ranges for both associates and management
being a cashier there
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCDecember 2, 2018
You got to help customers a lot and help them find everything they needed. Checking people out was the fun part for me, considering I was living in North Carolina for military reasons, so you got to meet a lot of cool people from all over. I loved my job there
Pros
discounts, rewards, fun and fast paced
Cons
short lunch breaks, not many hours, pay was not to great
Fast Fun and Friendly
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 28, 2018
I start my day at work by walking the sales floor and saying hello or good morning to each team member, I then tour the entire floor with the management team as a daily routine to follow up with store process and assist, the management team identify wins and opportunities then have the MOD create a task list and delegate the tasks to the team. I then follow up with emails and any messages from my DM and ensure that they are executed. I them attend the morning huddle when my management team and I communicate daily messages and give recognition. once the store is open I spend time on the sales floor following on my management team ,listening and, assist customers.observed the front end to ensure my team is providing great service. I follow up again with emails and any communication that need to be executed and also touch base with the mid shift and closing manager. I learned how to take a framing order and production at the frame shop, I also learned how to be creative by following up with the classes we offer on a weekly basis and most important the hundreds of little items my company carry that I never know about. The management team was mainly promoted within and most of them I have worked with only been a manager at Michaels. The workplace culture is friendly and most of the team is creative and knowledgeable .The hardest part of is knowing the names and product knowledge of all the products we carry and assist customers creative something with just an idea. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with the team and teaching them how to merchandise and condense seasonal.  more... And most important helping and learning from the creative customers that shop every day.  less
Pros
Store /ASM manager bonus incentives, team members discounts
Cons
Not enough payroll to support the sales floor/cashiers
Fun place to work
Front End Supervisor and Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZNovember 27, 2018
Busy and fast paced. People enjoy shopping at Michaels. Management changes all the time. Workplace culture is good. The hardest part of the job is keeping the store neat. The most enjoyable part of the job is the atmosphere.
Pros
Teamwork
Cons
Closing
Great for creative people
Customer Experience Manager (Former Employee) –  Downers Grove, ILNovember 27, 2018
Michael's was definitely a great place to work. I absolutely loved my store manager and fellow employees. The clientele was usually very nice - full of likewise creative types.
Pros
Management was great
Cons
Pay was not commensurate of experience
A good company to work for as a Part-Time Assistant
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ramsey, NJNovember 21, 2018
A typical day is providing customer service and making sure store is clean.
I have learned how to provide assistance when assisting with craft projects.
The workplace culture is a very busy store. The hardest part of the job sometimes is being able to multi-task and provide assistance depending on how busy the store is. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with other employees who are very friendly and team players.
Pros
Management provides free coffee and always providing food during certain times of year.
Cons
The company does not provide medical benefits to Part-Time Associates
Not worth the pay
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 14, 2018
The job is not hard. You would do what any cashier or sales associate would anywhere else. The issue is that you do not get paid enough. Barely above minimum wage and you only get about .20 cents a year for a raise. If you stay at the job longer than 4 months they basically have you running around in every department except framing and management. I was hired as a cashier and now have worked in almost every department. You don't get enough breaks compared to other places. Very hard to advanced or change positions and if they tell you they are switching you it will take months for that to actually happen. Its not awful for a seasonal job but you can make so much more else where for the same work. You do get decent hours though. Scheduling is pretty flexible. You can call out if sick, just do not make it a habit.
Pros
Flexible, job culture, good hours
Cons
pay, short breaks, little advancement
I enjoy working here although I do not make as much money as I would like.
Teller/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Saint George, UTNovember 9, 2018
Working at Michaels has taught me a lot about working in retail and dealing with difficult customers. I find my co-workers being the most enjoyable part of my job. They are nice to be around. The hardest part of the job is probably dealing with difficult people.
Great Work Environment
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNNovember 6, 2018
Loved working here. Wonderful co-workers and supervisors. Fun, creative place to work. Relaxed atmosphere, even with it was extremely busy. Would highly recommend.
Pros
Store discount
Cons
Only part time
creative and fun place to work
Replenishment team member (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CANovember 5, 2018
Michaels is your go-to for creativity; however, its like any other job, you're going to run into problems with coworkers or management. Otherwise Michael's was a great experience and i encourage anyone to work there
Pros
discounts
Cons
overworking
Hardcore work place
Overnight Crew & Part Time Associate (Former Employee) –  Clifton, NJNovember 5, 2018
The overnight shift was rough to work. I learned proper function of stock room. The manager of our store was very condescending. Workplace culture was so so. The hardest part of the job was the physical work. The most enjoyable part was seeing the products before they we put them out
fun job but tiring
Custom Framer (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, NYNovember 4, 2018
I loved working at Michaels but it was a second job for me and I needed to have my weekends back. The people were very nice and I learned a lot. It was just hard to work 7 days a week.
Pros
I loved working with arts and crafts
Cons
retail hours are difficult.
Used to be good
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Athens, GANovember 4, 2018
When I started at Michaels it was typical retail, fifty hours a week, not enough payroll, but there was not a lot of pressure. Managers got every other weekend off. Then it got sold, and the culture changed. Gone were the weekends. Managers got one weekend a month, but that was only if you were able to take it. Payroll went through the floor and the work week went to 70 plus hours a week and enormous pressure to get everything done. Upper management became abusive. Retaliation was rampant and obvious. You could not call HR on abusive DM's because they would fire mangers that did. Almost every manager in the Atlanta district turned over because they called HR on their DM.
The only reason I gave a one on the job work/ life balance was because there was not an option for negative numbers.
Pros
Met some good people.
Cons
Long hours, low payroll, too much pressure, and too many people were hired for upper management from other failed retailers.
a day at Michael's
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Metairie, LANovember 3, 2018
I must say working at Michael's help me to experience many situations. I absolutely loved working there. Everyone there were so friendly and helpful. I am a very creative person who is always looking to create something, this had to be the perfect job for it.
Lacking in some areas
Customer Experience Manager (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PANovember 2, 2018
It's an enjoyable place to work. I liked a lot of co-workers. However, the rules are lax, this results in employees walking over management and not having to fear any consequences.
I enjoyed the customers as well.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Michaels. Our community is ready to answer.

51.6K
41.9K
31.6K

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight