Michaels Employee Reviews

Found 6,004 reviews matching the search See all 6,535 reviews
chill place to work
Gallery assistant (Former Employee) –  Turlock, CAJune 17, 2019
people were friendly , work gives you flexibility for your availability. Always be part-time , it gets annoying to keep an eye on possible shoplifters.
Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDJune 17, 2019
The company takes care of its own and the employees are some of the most diverse and caring I have come in contact with. Truly is a great place to work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hollywood, FLJune 17, 2019
Very productive, and there’s always something to do. It was always an extremely comfortable environment to work in. Made it easy and exciting to get all your tasks done before the end of the day.
Decent plabe to work low hours
Replenishment Associate (Current Employee) –  Troy, MIJune 17, 2019
Overall the company its self is a good company to work for. Just a lack of hours and low pay for waht you are expected to do and accomplish in your short amount of time givien
Fun workplace with positive encounters!
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Woodbury, MNJune 17, 2019
The job was enjoyable whether I was on register or on the floor. Many of the customers are creative minds looking for some insight and it's safe to say that goes for staff as well.
Manager role requires long hours to be successful
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXJune 17, 2019
Payroll cuts are extreme, as a store manager you are no more than a high paid cashier there’s no time to train and develop team expected to make it happen with no payroll. Upper management is non connected to the real world and expectations are out of line with reality
Great Team members, no room for growth
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEJune 16, 2019
I've been an employee for 2 1/2 years, and the work itself is always reasonable. The team members at my location are fantastic, and I look forward to working with pretty much everyone. I always leave with a smile on my face (unless exhausted from unforeseen projects) HOWEVER, there is little to no room for growth in salary or in job position at this company. In the 2 1/2 years, I've only been given a grand total of 38 cents in pay-raises. This is frustrating, as I personally give my very best at work every shift. It feels as if I'm selling myself short- it feels like they don't appreciate the literal face of their company. Many of my coworkers have yet to climb the ladder at all, including myself. There are little to no openings for pay-raises or promotions. If you're a teenager living at home and you don't care about the pay, I say go for it. But if you're trying to save up for college, look elsewhere! I'm still there now, but I'm currently searching for a company who will provide better advancement opportunities. I almost forgot- your main function as an employee is to get customers to sign up for the dang rewards program. If you don't hit 68% for Existing and 12% for sign-ups, you will get reprimanded. It's not in your control, and it sucks. This will probably come from the Area Manager, however. So the GM is getting feedback from whoever is above them.
Pros
management, team members, easy work
Cons
no advancement opportunities, low pay, rewards program
Productive, worked with kids on fun crafts as an instructor.
Michaels Sales Associate/Instructor (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJune 16, 2019
Productive work days with lots to do. I was an instructor so I worked with kids on fun and enjoyable crafts. Worked on the floor to helping customers.
Poor managment. Childish atmosphere
Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJune 14, 2019
When I first started working for Michaels it was ok, but you don't get any hours and the management is terrible. Would not recommend working here at all. Not worth it the stress.
Pros
No hours so you have plenty of free time
Cons
No money because no hours
Not the best
Lead Cashier / Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAJune 14, 2019
Although the discount was great and some of the other associates were welcoming, management was a big problem during the time I was working there. The manager was such a pushover and basically gave customers what they wanted and overriding company policy. No the customer is not always right!
Fun and easy going environment
PT Manager (Current Employee) –  Valdosta, GAJune 14, 2019
A typical day at work is, I come in, the manager on duty will usually fill me in on what has happened. The i relay the information to my team members. From that on its tasking and recovering the store.
Stressful Workplace
Customer Experience Manager (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJune 14, 2019
This is the first retail company that I have ever worked for that doesn't seem to have its employees best interest at heart. The upper management and H.O. staff do not understand the day to day experiences we have with the customers. Some customers are very very rude and we try to make them happy but as soon as they contact H.O. we are not supported. So the irate customer knows that they can come in be rude and get away with it. They might even get a "free gift" out of it. The location staff as a lot to do in a short amount of time and the upper management doesn't seem to understand that with a limited amount of staff and payroll hours there's no way to complete the tasks given. I have said that I would love for the show Undercover Boss to come into this location and see what the problems are and give a solution, not just an email on how it should be.
Good Part-Time Job
Sales Associate/Cashier/Customer Service/Stock (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 14, 2019
Friendly work environment. Management is accommodating to flexible schedule. The most enjoyable part of the job is store atmosphere and co-workers, the hardest is customer's trying to steal from store.
Loved working here!
Front Store Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAJune 14, 2019
The hours always worked with my schedule. I was able to pick up shifts when wanted. The staff was pleasant and so were the customers. I highly recommend working here!
Outstanding place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Valley Stream, NY 11581June 13, 2019
Mostly my job consisted of Cashier and cleaning up the front end of the store. Also returning of products back to its location, or department. Sometimes it was to hot in the front of the store.
Working @ Michael’s.
Replenishment Team Member (Former Employee) –  Slidell, LAJune 13, 2019
Shifts varied from 4:00 a.m.-5:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. daily and included a team of 4-5 staff.
● Unloaded trucks on truck days.
● Unpacked and stocked the entire store and managed the maintenance of the store.
● Built side counters and constructed the store for every holiday.
Worked there for a year. Kinda hated it but it wasn’t terrible.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Burnsville, MNJune 13, 2019
Would never work there again but it’s an okay first time job. Management played favorites. Favorite Manager quit so that sucked. Did more work than I was paid for really.
Poor management
Forklift Driver (Certified) (Current Employee) –  Chehalis, WAJune 13, 2019
Low pay, poor management. There is no communication and they expect a lot from their workers but are only willing to pay minimum wages. It has been going down hill for the last 4 yrs
Hardly Any Hours...
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJune 13, 2019
I use to work here get on average, 25 hours. Due to the low amount of hours, workers had quit, and theft increased due to lack of supervision. Corporate believed that the best way to change this would be to fire the manager and hire a new one. This led us to have 3 manager changes over the course of 2 years. However, as theft rise, more hours had fallen. More people quit and the cycle continued. Working as a framer(promotion), my hours were cut down to 4 hours shifts for three days a week. I had to find a new job.
Pros
Discounts, co workers were decent
Cons
low pay, no real promotions, management changes
Good store, poor hours.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Layton, UTJune 12, 2019
Hours for part-time are very poor; usually 20 hours or less per week. Customers for the most part are nice, but some are rude. Management is nice and caring for the most part; great co-workers. Management promotes who they like best, not who's the most qualified. Suppose to have an open door policy, but management yells at you if you question the schedule. Hours are cut constantly. Definitely not a job you can live off of. Makes a good first job or second job.
Pros
401(k) for part timers, nice caring people. 30 % discount.
Cons
Short shifts; very poor hours for part timers, all jobs except managers are part time, Rude customers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Michaels. Our community is ready to answer.

51.8K
42.1K
31.7K

Women's ratings

3.3Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss