Michigan Humane Society Employee Reviews

Great Leadership, Great Goals, Great Place to Work!!!
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 20, 2018
It's hard work but extremely rewarding. We have a great leadership team that has established goals that will allow us to serve the Metro Detroit communities, educate more pet owners, and ultimately save more lives. We receive everything from typical domestic animals to farm animals, we work hard to place ALL animals in proper homes. We have expanded our knowledge of different breeds and animals to ensure we are properly equipped to care for all animals entering our facilities. We have full service medical teams at each of our facilities, with state of the art equipment and surgical tools.

I truly love this company! I see our vision, respect what we do, and where we are going as an organization. MHS is a great place to work if you love animals and enjoy helping people.
Pros
Great benefits (Medical, dental, vision, Pto, 403B, Free Pet Adoptions and more)
Fun place to volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 25, 2018
This was a place I volunteered with because I love animals. I had to stop because my life got hectic due to family issues. I loved what they do and would think about volunteering with them again in the future
Pros
Fun place to help out
Cons
Stressful, depressing, and biased.
Animal transport driver/ animal care specialist (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 9, 2018
A job that could be rewarding as far as the animals go. Euthanasia is common and could be stressful during the process. Management for different locations varied. My particular position had a manager that was less than orthodox. My position required me to travel once a month that quickly became once a week to the Carolinas with out an additional compensation.
Pros
Great healthcare and paid vacations.
Cons
Poor management, long hours, very low compensation.
Loved working with MHS
Receptionist/Call Center (Former Employee) –  Westland, MIMay 22, 2017
I loved all of my coworkers, they always made me feel better after dealing with rough clients all day. If you're easily hurt or sensitive, this job is not for you. The clients here will rip you apart daily.
Pros
worked with sweet animals, wonderful coworkers
Cons
salary was very low for the amount of work and the level of difficulty
Product and fun workplace to help less fortunate pets
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Westland, MIJune 13, 2012
In this position I help reduce stress and improve the dogs' chances of adoption by walking dogs outside of the adoption center, teaching the dog his/her name, engaging dogs in exploring, playing, and interacting with people, and spending "quality time" outside of cage and shelter environment. Duties are performed at the Center for Animal Care and outdoors.
Look for Employment Elsewhere
ACT CSR (Former Employee) –  Detroit MIJanuary 21, 2015
At first I loved coming to work, but after 2 months I still felt like an outsider who was walking on egg shells. The staff is incredibly stuck up and are very cliquey. The management(if that's what you can call it), act like they are better than everyone else and have their heads so far up their own butts, they can't see how rude and unprofessional every staff member in their building is.

And their euthanasia turn over rate... Oh my god. It's ridiculous. I washed my hands of this company when I witnessed them kill a pregnant dog because she was a little fearful. Well of course she's fearful. She's pregnant and in a building with 50-75 strange dogs and people she's only been around for 7 days.

This place is HORRIBLE!
Pros
All Staff Meeting is pretty sweet
Cons
stuck up employees, incompetent management, horrible pay for the amount of work expected, Etc
experience
Assistant Technician- History (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIDecember 10, 2013
When i first started at the Humane Society I loved it there it was great to come to work and help people and their animals, during the last 6-8 years the company development new CEO and directors and it slowly went downhill, i have a very high standards with my work ethics and my job performance and when a company is not preforming the way they should be it is hard to work there, it became very difficult to watch as i know money is important with the humane society the goal should be helping people with their pets not bleeding them dry at least in the Detroit location. my co-workers are some best people in world, and though the clients could be difficult they were also great to help. I am very organized and learn very quickly. My co-workers use to call me Radar(if your old enough to know what that means.) my 17 years there speaks for itself i believe.
Ridiculously horrible place
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Westland, MIFebruary 10, 2015
This place is completely unprofessional. It's cliquey, the staff would rather talk amongst themselves than actually explain to clients what's wrong with their pet, not one person is actually happy, and they talk behind each other's backs. I was there for 3 months and I couldn't take it any longer. The techs act as if the receptionists are stupid, the receptionists are rude, and don't even get me started on the doctors. I was told countless times I needed to be meaner and not care about the clients or the animals. "Everyone has a sob story. Don't get caught up in it" was something I was told all because I let a client hug me when their dog was euthanized. It's the worst place ever. Don't take ever pets there. Go to a professional organization who actually cares about the animals and clients.
Pros
$12 an hour, awesome clients
Cons
Horrible doctors, horrible coworkers
Internship
Animal Care Technician - Intern (Former Employee) –  Detroit. MIMay 13, 2013
Maintain kennel for cats and dogs; socialize with animals, walk dogs; keep Animal shelter clean and sanitary.
learned what people do wrong to animal its hart braking.
The co-workers was very nice they talk to me. They where no hardest part at the job.
The most enjoyable part is to see happy cats and dogs getting adopted to good people.

Its a fun and productive place to work at. Very nice staff.
Dog Trainer (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 28, 2017
I had a great time volunteering at the Michigan Humane Society. The dogs were very fun to work with. The workers their were very nice and patient with me.
Volunteer- Cat Adoption Counselor,
VOLUNTEER (Current Employee) –  Rochester HillsMarch 13, 2013
 Screen potential pet adopters, review applications, and file paperwork
 Introduce pets to potential adopters and observe their interactions during the visit
 Educate adopters about their pet’s needs
 Update records, fill out information cards on cats, clean cages, interact and play with the cats to promote health
Busy atmosphere. Nice people
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Westland, MIOctober 10, 2012
I arrive at work (various times), go up front to lobby. Sometimes I see as much as 20 animals in the lobby.

I learned that it is VERY important to have your animals get their annual shots, heartworm medicine and just overall have their general health looked at.

The management there treated their employees with respect due to the high volume of clients they see everyday. Managers were very helpful when you had questions. There are so many things to learn.

My co-workers (receptionists, doctors, assistants) were very nice to me and one another. They also helped when I had questions about a pet.

The hardest part of the job were the clients who had no repsect for us trying to help their pet. They would sometimes yell and scream at us.

The most enjoying part of my job was all the cute, fluffy, & playful animals.
Pros
at the meetings they always bought us pizza or some kind of treat.
Fun and Rewarding Place to Work
Cleaning Associate (Current Employee) –  Westland, MIFebruary 14, 2014
I love working for MHS - Berman Center for Animal Care. Early morning shift, great hourly pay ($10hr), and quality animal care! They really care for the animals and their staff. It does get stressful and really busy at times, so a level head and time management skills are a must for this position. Yes, you have to smell and see gross stuff, but you also get to handle and care for amazing animals. Kitten and puppy play time everyday! There are pros & cons to every job. Most of the cons come from the position only being part-time with no benefits. The job itself is very rewarding and easy once you get a routine down. MUST love animals to keep this position a long time.
Pros
Nice Hourly Pay, Early Hours, Friendly Work Environment, Great Cause, Comfortable Uniform
Cons
Limited Hours, No Benefits for Part-time, Stressful Work Situations, Exposure to Zoonotic Diseases and/or Dangerous Animals
Saving lives of animals
Volunteer Programs Manager (Former Employee) –  Bingham Farms, MINovember 12, 2013
manage four shelter volunteer managers and responsible for approximately 600 active volunteers that cared for animals
Pros
saving animals lives, finding them homes
Cons
on-going battle with spay/neuter/treatment of animals
it's an Ok job
Animal Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Westland, MIMarch 11, 2016
I was an ok job, I enjoyed my time here, although it was VERY slow and pretty boring a lot of the time. The other employees are alright, but pretty clique like most of the time.
Pros
decent pay
Cons
Very slow and boring, employees are pretty clique like.
Poor management
Evaluator (Former Employee) –  Westland, MIJuly 19, 2016
A typical day at the Westland Humane Society consists of working through lunches and breaks because they are currently extremely under staffed. They do offer benefits for full time staff which is a plus. During my employment I gained valuable customer service experience and increased my knowledge of caring for animals. Management is really good at making a hard job harder, by showing no encouragement or acknowledgement to their hard working employees. The staff supervisors are very young, with little or no previous experience, or education, in a supervisory position. This leads to an unprofessional and frustrating work environment. Co-workers are great, but the poor management leads to a very low morale and unhappy employees.The only thing that made the job worth it was the knowledge that I was making a difference in animal's lives. Eventually however, this knowledge was not enough to overcome being over-worked and under appreciated by management and I found employment elsewhere.
Pros
benefits for full time
Cons
poor management
I love this job.
Animal Caretaker/Adoption Counselor (Current Employee) –  Sterling Heights, MISeptember 28, 2012
I take care of all the animals. I clean kennels. I clean the facility. I do laundry and dishes. I also do adoption paperwork.
Pros
be around animals
Cons
funded by donations
Professional, busy, diverse
Maintenance Facility Manager (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MIOctober 9, 2013
The best thing was working with professional managers. Working along with different people, and got to learn a lot.
Pros
expanded my knowledge
Great place to work, if just starting out in this field
Veterinary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Westland, MichiganOctober 26, 2012
Love animals, Enjoyed the interaction with clients. Large 6 Dr. Practice.
Pros
working with great people
Cons
limited pay
best animal clinic for your pet
Dog Walker (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 6, 2013
I love walking small to big dogs outside the humane society. I love playing with them outside. The co-workers are very nice and kind
Cons
no lunch breaks