Michigan Humane Society Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Fun place to volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 25, 2018
This was a place I volunteered with because I love animals. I had to stop because my life got hectic due to family issues. I loved what they do and would think about volunteering with them again in the future
Pros
Fun place to help out
Cons
Stressful, depressing, and biased.
Animal transport driver/ animal care specialist (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 9, 2018
A job that could be rewarding as far as the animals go. Euthanasia is common and could be stressful during the process. Management for different locations varied. My particular position had a manager that was less than orthodox. My position required me to travel once a month that quickly became once a week to the Carolinas with out an additional compensation.
Pros
Great healthcare and paid vacations.
Cons
Poor management, long hours, very low compensation.
Its a fun and productive place to work at. Very nice staff.
Dog Trainer (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 28, 2017
I had a great time volunteering at the Michigan Humane Society. The dogs were very fun to work with. The workers their were very nice and patient with me.
Loved working with MHS
Receptionist/Call Center (Former Employee) –  Westland, MIMay 22, 2017
I loved all of my coworkers, they always made me feel better after dealing with rough clients all day. If you're easily hurt or sensitive, this job is not for you. The clients here will rip you apart daily.
Pros
worked with sweet animals, wonderful coworkers
Cons
salary was very low for the amount of work and the level of difficulty
Poor management
Evaluator (Former Employee) –  Westland, MIJuly 19, 2016
A typical day at the Westland Humane Society consists of working through lunches and breaks because they are currently extremely under staffed. They do offer benefits for full time staff which is a plus. During my employment I gained valuable customer service experience and increased my knowledge of caring for animals. Management is really good at making a hard job harder, by showing no encouragement or acknowledgement to their hard working employees. The staff supervisors are very young, with little or no previous experience, or education, in a supervisory position. This leads to an unprofessional and frustrating work environment. Co-workers are great, but the poor management leads to a very low morale and unhappy employees.The only thing that made the job worth it was the knowledge that I was making a difference in animal's lives. Eventually however, this knowledge was not enough to overcome being over-worked and under appreciated by management and I found employment elsewhere.
Pros
benefits for full time
Cons
poor management
it's an Ok job
Animal Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Westland, MIMarch 11, 2016
I was an ok job, I enjoyed my time here, although it was VERY slow and pretty boring a lot of the time. The other employees are alright, but pretty clique like most of the time.
Pros
decent pay
Cons
Very slow and boring, employees are pretty clique like.
Another job
Cleaning Associate (Current Employee) –  Westland, MIJuly 18, 2015
If you want to go to work and clean dogs and cats everyday have fun. You are also cleaning laundry and dishes and litter pans.
Ridiculously horrible place
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Westland, MIFebruary 10, 2015
This place is completely unprofessional. It's cliquey, the staff would rather talk amongst themselves than actually explain to clients what's wrong with their pet, not one person is actually happy, and they talk behind each other's backs. I was there for 3 months and I couldn't take it any longer. The techs act as if the receptionists are stupid, the receptionists are rude, and don't even get me started on the doctors. I was told countless times I needed to be meaner and not care about the clients or the animals. "Everyone has a sob story. Don't get caught up in it" was something I was told all because I let a client hug me when their dog was euthanized. It's the worst place ever. Don't take ever pets there. Go to a professional organization who actually cares about the animals and clients.
Pros
$12 an hour, awesome clients
Cons
Horrible doctors, horrible coworkers
Look for Employment Elsewhere
ACT CSR (Former Employee) –  Detroit MIJanuary 21, 2015
At first I loved coming to work, but after 2 months I still felt like an outsider who was walking on egg shells. The staff is incredibly stuck up and are very cliquey. The management(if that's what you can call it), act like they are better than everyone else and have their heads so far up their own butts, they can't see how rude and unprofessional every staff member in their building is.

And their euthanasia turn over rate... Oh my god. It's ridiculous. I washed my hands of this company when I witnessed them kill a pregnant dog because she was a little fearful. Well of course she's fearful. She's pregnant and in a building with 50-75 strange dogs and people she's only been around for 7 days.

This place is HORRIBLE!
Pros
All Staff Meeting is pretty sweet
Cons
stuck up employees, incompetent management, horrible pay for the amount of work expected, Etc
Good experiance.
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MISeptember 3, 2014
Everyone associated with this center has a very big heart and will to stop animal cruelty.
Pros
interacting with animals
Cons
was only a volunteer so NO PAY
Management is Horrible
Clinic Veterinary Technician (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJune 22, 2014
The management at this organization is horrible, specifically to the Detroit shelter. The Detroit location gets treated as the stepchild amongst all three locations. There are no opportunities for growth for anyone. They are always quick to terminate anyone without full investigation. Some individuals have worked decades at this organization and have been let go because of one minor mistake. They do not go above and beyond to help low income families and they look down on clients. The management is cut throat horrible towards it's employees. They do not give out bonuses for all the hard work everyone contributes. Senior management rarely visits the Detroit location and that says a lot about their bourgeois perspective on the city. However, most of their revenue comes from the city. The adoption staff changes like a woman's tampon because many individuals do not like working under the current adoption shelter manager. Half of the original animal cops who went above and beyond on their job are no longer there. At the annual meetings, most of the Detroit staff are sitting in the back or to the side because the other locations are treated at a different standard. In my tenure there, I can count on my hands how many times the CEO has visited the Detroit location let along played with any of the animals, but that's none of my business. If you apply to work as a ACT, be prepared to stay to yourself because many of your co-workers in the shelter will quit or get fired for something stupid. If you apply to work as a receptionist, it's better off that you have no other life priorities  more... because you won't be able to do anything else but work for them. If you apply to work as a veterinarian technician, be prepared to never get off on time and to get in trouble for many things you did not do. If you apply to work as a rescue driver, be prepared to work crazy hours with low pay and definitely no opportunities for growth in that department. Other than that, be prepared to get cursed out by clients every five minutes, spit on, things thrown at, and low pay. Or better yet, go work at the Westland or Rochester shelter.... You'll get treated better as an employee. If you don't believe me, look at the other reviews. Notice how they give the company 4 and 5 stars, but Detroit employees give the company 1 to 2 stars.  less
Pros
Great Co-workers and the animals
Cons
Low pay, management, no opportunities for growth, roaches, safety
Fun and Rewarding Place to Work
Cleaning Associate (Current Employee) –  Westland, MIFebruary 14, 2014
I love working for MHS - Berman Center for Animal Care. Early morning shift, great hourly pay ($10hr), and quality animal care! They really care for the animals and their staff. It does get stressful and really busy at times, so a level head and time management skills are a must for this position. Yes, you have to smell and see gross stuff, but you also get to handle and care for amazing animals. Kitten and puppy play time everyday! There are pros & cons to every job. Most of the cons come from the position only being part-time with no benefits. The job itself is very rewarding and easy once you get a routine down. MUST love animals to keep this position a long time.
Pros
Nice Hourly Pay, Early Hours, Friendly Work Environment, Great Cause, Comfortable Uniform
Cons
Limited Hours, No Benefits for Part-time, Stressful Work Situations, Exposure to Zoonotic Diseases and/or Dangerous Animals
experience
Assistant Technician- History (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIDecember 10, 2013
When i first started at the Humane Society I loved it there it was great to come to work and help people and their animals, during the last 6-8 years the company development new CEO and directors and it slowly went downhill, i have a very high standards with my work ethics and my job performance and when a company is not preforming the way they should be it is hard to work there, it became very difficult to watch as i know money is important with the humane society the goal should be helping people with their pets not bleeding them dry at least in the Detroit location. my co-workers are some best people in world, and though the clients could be difficult they were also great to help. I am very organized and learn very quickly. My co-workers use to call me Radar(if your old enough to know what that means.) my 17 years there speaks for itself i believe.
Saving lives of animals
Volunteer Programs Manager (Former Employee) –  Bingham Farms, MINovember 12, 2013
manage four shelter volunteer managers and responsible for approximately 600 active volunteers that cared for animals
Pros
saving animals lives, finding them homes
Cons
on-going battle with spay/neuter/treatment of animals
best animal clinic for your pet
Dog Walker (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 6, 2013
I love walking small to big dogs outside the humane society. I love playing with them outside. The co-workers are very nice and kind
Cons
no lunch breaks
Professional, busy, diverse
Maintenance Facility Manager (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MIOctober 9, 2013
The best thing was working with professional managers. Working along with different people, and got to learn a lot.
Pros
expanded my knowledge
Nice
Clinic Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 5, 2013
I loved caring for animals. It's self satisfying to assist someone with adoptions.
Fun work environment
Animal Enrichment Volunteer  (Current Employee) –  Westland, MIJuly 1, 2013
Working with animals to improve overall quality of life and behavior. Very interesting work environment.
Internship
Animal Care Technician - Intern (Former Employee) –  Detroit. MIMay 13, 2013
Maintain kennel for cats and dogs; socialize with animals, walk dogs; keep Animal shelter clean and sanitary.
learned what people do wrong to animal its hart braking.
The co-workers was very nice they talk to me. They where no hardest part at the job.
The most enjoyable part is to see happy cats and dogs getting adopted to good people.

Poor leadership, horrible (if any) team work
Development Associate (Former Employee) –  Bingham Farms, MIApril 29, 2013
Leadership, or the lack thereof, is taking it's toll on the organization.

Most everyone in a Director position is there based on Peter's principle, Not much room for growth unless you are owed something, incompetent leadership very long pointless meetings on a regular basis zero appreciation shown to those who work horrifying hours save countless animal lives and pour their heart into all they do, IT department may as well not exist, company cell phones do not allow texting, Micro management at it's worst, Poorly maintained budget - willing to splurge on weekend getaways to plan the budget when there are 4 perfectly good buildings to hold such meetings, Management is rarely around and when it is they dodge their employees

Advice to Senior Management: Get smart....you truly have no clue what you're doing. You think that because you have letters after your name you deserve your position but that's just not true. MHS needs leaders, not quiet people who make decisions behind closed doors and without the input of their team. Man up, speak up, and respect those who work for you since they are making you look good. The directors take way too much vacation time, spend WAY too much money at conferences and host far too many "donor appreciation nights.
Pros
Great Mission, Discounted vet care, ok benefits, fun events, Shelter staff is very dedicated and nice, taking your pets to the office is a lot of fun, compensation is high in comparison to other animal welfare groups, Marketing department is smart quick and friendly
Cons
HORRIBLE upper management, Poorly maintained budget