Michigan Mutual Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
product availability and great mgmt team
Branch Manager - loan officer (Current Employee) –  Waterford, Mi 48328May 7, 2018
support and atmosphere. enjoy working with the staff at all levels
and everyone is always friendly. Sr.Mgmt helpful and supportive.
mgmt. is always looking for new products and updating guidelines
for all loan products.
Pros
open line of communication
Cons
n/a
The best mortgage company to work for
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDMay 6, 2018
Michigan Mutual dba MiMutual Mortgage is well run. The technology is cutting edge while maintaining a close friendly working environment.

The IT department is supportive. Newly implemented software allows processors and orignators to increase their income while having more personal time.

Management is supportive and always open to new ideas and ways to improve the company.

I'm very fortunate to have found MiMutual
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Horrible Place
Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIApril 9, 2018
I worked here way to long. At first this place was amazing and made you feel special. Would throw parties and always thank you for your hard work. Then they became too big and very selfish. Lay off's non stop. If you enjoy going to work everyday wondering if you're next to get laid off... Then this is the job for you. Pay is horrible, management is the same. Team Leads are a joke. If they're doing reviews, wait a week or two and they're laying people off. Not a stable place. Don't waste your time here.
Underwriter
Mortgage U/W III / Review Specialist (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIJanuary 29, 2018
Typical day for a mortgage underwriter. Underwrite mortgages, review conditions, answer emails. Communicate with AE and brokers. Get loans to clear to close.
Pros
Fun family culture. Great co-workers
Cons
Underpaid for my experience
Family Atmospher
Sr. Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIDecember 8, 2017
Was with the company for over 8 years in the underwriting department. Coworkers always felt like family and everyone willing to help each other. Not back stabbing. Programs and system are easy t work with with, training a plus.
Pros
Remote opportunity
Cons
Fun and exciting work place
Sr. Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Remote Royal Oak, MISeptember 22, 2017
I find my job as an Underwriter very rewarding with MMI. I have been provided with the essential tools needed to Underwrite a file. I find my files move fairly smooth to closing. This could not be accomplished if I did not have the type of manager's that I have. MMI is very much a family atmosphere, this type of atmosphere is encouraged by management. The hardest part of my job is probably when I am unable to approve a file and have to tell the customer. My job is to review file to ensure they meet investor/government requirements. This is not possible with all loans, it can be very disheartening to have to tell someone they don't qualify for a mortgage. The most enjoyable part of my job is when a loan is fully approved and easily saleable on the Secondary Market.
I love my job!
Pros
free lunches, raffles
Cons
would like more PTO
Great place to work!!!
Pre-Funding Analyst (Current Employee) –  Southfield, MISeptember 20, 2017
Mi Mutual is a great place to work!!! We are productive at work and still have fun. Everyone is very professional. Management is encouraging and positive. No Micro-managing. I love working here!!!
Pros
Professional and Friendly atmosphere
Cons
No Cons. This is really a great place to work.
Work Environment
Jr. Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIMarch 10, 2017
I loved the environment and the laid back atmosphere. But I heard the company has many lay offs and I went to lunch and came back and was notified I was being laid off. No warning, not anything. I was not even there for a full year. I left a job that was a major corporation to take a risk at this employer. Very disappointing.
Pros
Is not Micro Management, laid back environment
Cons
known for laying off at anytime no long term job security
Great Culture
Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIFebruary 7, 2017
Small company but great to work for. Service to clients is great. Job is exactly what I was hired to do. Can work remote if needed. Management is helpful and understanding.
company out of business
Senior Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIFebruary 1, 2017
was a great place to work for when it was in business. I learned about manual underwriting here, sub prime loans. Always had a heavy case load. Would still be here if company didn't shut down
I don't know
Inside Wholesale Mortgage Representative (Former Employee) –  MichiganJanuary 17, 2017
Young mid size mortgage company. Focus is retail not wholesale. Top heavy - too many chiefs. Pay is low for effort. Not a place to build a career. Company is still trying to find itself.
Pros
Great co workers, family oriented
Cons
Angry management, low pay, division of communication between operations and sales
Company not willing to listen to employees
Underwriter III (Current Employee) –  RemoteApril 20, 2016
Unwilling to provide necessary training and job tools. Management very critical and unwilling to help new employees. Management had their predisposed ideas and kept them. this company is primarily a wholesale lender and not retail lending oriented.
Pros
Remote no lunch hour
Cons
Limited benefits
LOL- Not worth the time
Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIJanuary 11, 2016
Having known the company since it began I has hoped for more then what they have to give. If you like, poor management with attitudes, who sneer at you if you leave your desk, this is the place for U!!!!
productive workplace with solid core values
Business Project Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIFebruary 3, 2015
I have a vast amount of experience in the mortgage industry ranging from all different types of loans to all different areas of the departments within the company
Pros
great work environment, daily changing challenges and tasks
Cons
healtchare
Great people to work with and very relaxed atmosphere. Encourage constructive feed-back about policy and procedure. Actively looking to improve
Wholesale Mortgage Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MISeptember 15, 2014
At this time I do not wish to provide a review of Michigan Mutual Inc.
Horrible place to work
Mortgage Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Troy, MIJuly 11, 2014
Horrible place to work everything started off as sounding really good but it turns out it was to good to be true
Unable to Grow in Company
Senior Loan Originator (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIJune 18, 2014
I was hoping to grow with the company. I was continuously put off.
Was always worried about losing my job
Loan Officer (Former Employee) –  port huron michiganMay 28, 2014
Great management, great workplace and co-workers, great training.
On a typical day i would come to work by 8 am prepare my daily schedule of events, and start hitting the phones and making sales calls to potential customers looking to purchase or refinance a home. I would typically call between 130 and 200 people per day, i was always trying to stay in contact with current customers as well as possible future clients. The leads we received were not very good so it would take a lot of excellent communication and sales techniques to keep customers on the phone.
Pros
great management, hours, family owned company that cares about employees
Cons
poor quality leads, our job was always being held over our head.
Workplace where you can be yourself
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIMay 28, 2014
Michigan Mutual has a very open workplace culture. It is a company that lets you be yourself all of the time. The mortgage industry is tough, but the management was there to help you out as much as needed. The co-workers were the best part about the job because it was okay to have disagreements with others but yet still get along in a professional sense.
High customer service enviroment.
Senior Government Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MichiganApril 30, 2014
A typical day at work entailed problem solving for customers and underwriting staff.

Monitoring production reports for staff and senior management.
Pros
Customer customers skills in managing customer and coaching staff.
Cons
Behavioral issues with customers and staff.