Michigan Mutual Employee Reviews

Run, Run, Run, from this Company
Loan Officer (Former Employee) –  NevadaJanuary 8, 2019
This company's upper management is the poorest management I have ever seen in my career. Lying and unethical business practices. They have core "values" that they do not follow at all. I would NEVER recommend this company to anyone in the mortgage industry. They are a small, small, company in ALL ways. RUN, if you are approached by them. They will never make it nationally. They should of stayed in Michigan as the family run business or hired people in management who actually do what they say and know what they do. This is a joke of a company.
Pros
There were no pros
Cons
There were no cons
Don’t do it!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Southfield, MIJanuary 5, 2019
Worked for Michigan mutual for many years. Started back when it was more of a “mom and pop” shop. Back then this company valued its employees. Now the top dogs are gone and replaced with management that doesn’t even have mortgage background experience. It’s sad to see this company struggle. The numerous lay offs year after year should tell ANYONE in this industry to stay far away. There are so many reputable mortgage companies to work for... stable comanpies... Michigan mutual is not one of them. Find a current employee and ask if they are happy or feel secure in their position... you know what their answer will be.
Pros
Fellow employees in your department
Cons
Would be a great place except for upper management
Loan Officer (Former Employee) –  NCDecember 30, 2018
Greed and ego driven retail VP who is horrible with communication and bold face lies. These people promise the moon and NEVER deliver. They are a tiny speck in the large landscape of many other mortgage banks who actually do live by their core values like, INTEGRITY. If you have experience in this industry, stay away from this company. They don't appreciate people with intelligence. You're a threat to them.
Pros
Technology
Cons
Horrible leadership
Non Professional
Senior Mortgage Underwriter, Wholesale (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MINovember 6, 2018
Nothing good to mention at all, all unprofessionalism, a company of friends, family and party people. During my employment there they were just creating polices and procedure and underwriting guidelines, shear disorganization.
Pros
Cons
Unprofessionalism
Fun
Senior Underwriter, FHA, VA, RD (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MINovember 5, 2018
Overall Michigan Mutual is a good place to work. I worked from home so I didn't have any interactions with the office staff or managers. Only phone calls and emails.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Too many managers
It was not a very pleasant environment
Team Leader/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MISeptember 15, 2018
My typical day at work consisted of me reviewing reports and assigning out loans to my staff. The hardest part of my job was the management did not follow through with making sure all the staff acted as a team and completed their necessary tasks
Productive and fun
Processor/Auditor (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIAugust 23, 2018
Productive. Learned a lot from other people while being trained. Management was supportive. The hardest part was leaving met a lot of good people just enjoyed working there.
Pros
Supportive
Cons
Short breaks
product availability and great mgmt team
Branch Manager - loan officer (Current Employee) –  Waterford, Mi 48328May 7, 2018
support and atmosphere. enjoy working with the staff at all levels
and everyone is always friendly. Sr.Mgmt helpful and supportive.
mgmt. is always looking for new products and updating guidelines
for all loan products.
Pros
open line of communication
Cons
n/a
The best mortgage company to work for
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDMay 6, 2018
Michigan Mutual dba MiMutual Mortgage is well run. The technology is cutting edge while maintaining a close friendly working environment.

The IT department is supportive. Newly implemented software allows processors and orignators to increase their income while having more personal time.

Management is supportive and always open to new ideas and ways to improve the company.

I'm very fortunate to have found MiMutual
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Horrible Place
Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIApril 9, 2018
I worked here way to long. At first this place was amazing and made you feel special. Would throw parties and always thank you for your hard work. Then they became too big and very selfish. Lay off's non stop. If you enjoy going to work everyday wondering if you're next to get laid off... Then this is the job for you. Pay is horrible, management is the same. Team Leads are a joke. If they're doing reviews, wait a week or two and they're laying people off. Not a stable place. Don't waste your time here.
fun place to work for
Government Mortgage Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIFebruary 21, 2018
the most enjoyable part of the job was the annual Christmas parties and good benefits. Would like to have more vacation time off but overall was a good place to work.
Underwriter
Mortgage U/W III / Review Specialist (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIJanuary 29, 2018
Typical day for a mortgage underwriter. Underwrite mortgages, review conditions, answer emails. Communicate with AE and brokers. Get loans to clear to close.
Pros
Fun family culture. Great co-workers
Cons
Underpaid for my experience
Family Atmospher
Sr. Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIDecember 8, 2017
Was with the company for over 8 years in the underwriting department. Coworkers always felt like family and everyone willing to help each other. Not back stabbing. Programs and system are easy t work with with, training a plus.
Pros
Remote opportunity
A Workplace had Cores which all did not follow
Various Positions (Current Employee) –  Southfield, MIDecember 6, 2017
Company ran like a mom and pop company, I would Never recommend the company to work for anyone to work or visit .The Company remind me of aka "Mean Girls" movie.
Pros
Check every 2 weeks
Cons
Company ran by 100% Losers
Fun and exciting work place
Sr. Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Remote Royal Oak, MISeptember 22, 2017
I find my job as an Underwriter very rewarding with MMI. I have been provided with the essential tools needed to Underwrite a file. I find my files move fairly smooth to closing. This could not be accomplished if I did not have the type of manager's that I have. MMI is very much a family atmosphere, this type of atmosphere is encouraged by management. The hardest part of my job is probably when I am unable to approve a file and have to tell the customer. My job is to review file to ensure they meet investor/government requirements. This is not possible with all loans, it can be very disheartening to have to tell someone they don't qualify for a mortgage. The most enjoyable part of my job is when a loan is fully approved and easily saleable on the Secondary Market.
I love my job!
Pros
free lunches, raffles
Cons
would like more PTO
Great place to work!!!
Pre-Funding Analyst (Current Employee) –  Southfield, MISeptember 20, 2017
Mi Mutual is a great place to work!!! We are productive at work and still have fun. Everyone is very professional. Management is encouraging and positive. No Micro-managing. I love working here!!!
Pros
Professional and Friendly atmosphere
Cons
No Cons. This is really a great place to work.
Fun work place
TRID Specialist (Current Employee) –  Orange, CAAugust 23, 2017
Equal opportunity great place to work. I have no complaints. We just started our California branch and management had been great in facilitating the whole process
Work Environment
Jr. Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIMarch 10, 2017
I loved the environment and the laid back atmosphere. But I heard the company has many lay offs and I went to lunch and came back and was notified I was being laid off. No warning, not anything. I was not even there for a full year. I left a job that was a major corporation to take a risk at this employer. Very disappointing.
Pros
Is not Micro Management, laid back environment
Cons
known for laying off at anytime no long term job security
Great Culture
Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIFebruary 7, 2017
Small company but great to work for. Service to clients is great. Job is exactly what I was hired to do. Can work remote if needed. Management is helpful and understanding.
company out of business
Senior Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIFebruary 1, 2017
was a great place to work for when it was in business. I learned about manual underwriting here, sub prime loans. Always had a heavy case load. Would still be here if company didn't shut down