Michigan Schools & Government Credit Union

Michigan Schools & Government Credit Union Employee Reviews

Featured review
Michigan Schools & Government Credit Union selected this as a representative review
Not a job, my career.
Branch Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Troy, MIDecember 5, 2018
This is the best move that I could have made for myself. For someone my age this is a life changing opportunity. This organization gives me the training and growth needed to bring success for my future; professionally and personally. They promote from within giving opportunities to teammates before reaching out to external candidates. The Benefits are amazing from low cost health care, dental and vision; to a 401K, that has a phenomenal employer match and their own contribution automatically. The organization is very team oriented; there is constantly group activities, outings, wellness activities, charity programs, appreciation gifts, the list goes on. MSGCU actually cares about their employees and their happiness, and in turn, that happiness reflects on the members with the excellent member service provided. If you are thinking about a career in the finance world, do not pass up this organization! This is one of the best choices you will make!
Pros
Benefits, Training, Management, Culture, Events, Etc.
Good company
Call Center Representative (Current Employee) –  Troy, MIAugust 1, 2018
My coworkers are great for the most part. Work life balance here is great they really work with you if you have things going on outside of work. I work in the call center and it can be very stressful at times and I don’t feel management understands. They don’t care they just want you to keep taking calls like your a robot. I may have a really bad call and need to take a breather for 2 mins. Well that doesn’t exist they will hunt you down wondering why your not taking calls. Or if I’m with a member and they feel your taking too long their on your back. Can’t work under those conditions. Some of the upper management haven’t even been in a call center role so how could they understand.
Pros
Benefits, work life balance
Cons
Pay, management
Used to be a decent organization to work for
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Clinton Township, MIMay 12, 2018
This credit union used to be a great place to work before they tried to become a bank. They brought a whole bunch of former bank employees on board and the downward spiral started. At least banks pay their employees decent wages. This credit union tries to cover up their low wages by offering incentives, incentives meaning lofty goals they expect when they don't provide any marketing to help with that goal. There is no advancement unless you have a degree. The benefits are decent but used to be better. The products are stale, the promotions they run every year are more predictable than an atomic clock. They have forgotten their roots and the communities they used to serve. I only recommend working there to gain experience then go somewhere else.
Pros
Decent benefits
Cons
Low wages, understaffed, lofty goals
Would not recommend
Full Time Teller (Former Employee) –  Clinton Township, MISeptember 18, 2018
Seems like a great place to work at first, but the main office is very unprofessional. Some of the management is very inexperienced and does not how to take care of issues properly. Management spends more time in meetings then they do helping when needed.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Poor management
TELLER (Former Employee) –  MichiganJanuary 5, 2019
Hours are long but busy
Many opportunities for training and improving skills
Excellent pay and benefits
Management is stern but helpful with any areas of weakness
Excellent workplace!
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Troy, MINovember 13, 2018
I have worked for MSGCU for about 6 months and I have never worked with a more caring and well-organized company. It has been a wonderful experience and I hope to continue a long-career there.
Pros
Great management!
Cons
This is a credit union with big bank mentality
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Macomb, MIMay 13, 2018
Other than some of the people I worked with this place was less than tolerable. Was told during interview the company believed in work like balance which is so not true. The member matters more than you as the employee. Don't make plans for after work for a certain time because chances are you won't make it. Schedule may say you are done working at 5:15 think again..members are let in well after you close or there are computer issues that won't allow the branch to be closed out properly there were times we didn't get out till an hour or more sometimes after we closed. Was told by a co worker when I started that the place used to be very good to work for until they started hiring people in upper management from bigger banks. Sales pressure to refer products to members. If I wanted to be a sales person I would sell cars or houses for a living not visa accounts to get people more in debt. Over all my time here was only enjoyable because of some of my co workers other than that glad to be done with the place!
Pros
Fellow employees
Cons
To long to list
No Career Enhancement
Representative (Current Employee) –  MichiganDecember 23, 2016
I've been working for this company several years now and starting to feel stuck. There is zero career enhancement programs. You learn things on your own. My manager doesn't promote learning or advancement opportunities. You have to beg for it.

The culture is nice though and it varies depending on which Dept you're in. Some managers are really great to work with. My manager is rude and difficult. HR is aware and does nothing. Trust is repeatedly abused. Things get swept under the rug. But people in general are very nice and friendly.
Pros
401k, location, friendly culture
Cons
No career development, hit or miss management style, don't depend on HR to back you up
Stable organization with great advancement opportunities
Branch Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Macomb, MIFebruary 28, 2017
I've worked at the credit union for just under 2 years. I have been promoted from a Teller to a Branch Service Specialist during that time and received great training to prepare me for my new role. My manager is knowledgeable and patient. I'm a part of a really great team.
The benefits here are fantastic. We get a medical plan paid for by the CU, and money put into our 401k even if we don't contribute into it. We get a lot of sick and vacation time too.I'm really glad I've started my career here!
Pros
Benefits, incentives, paid time off
Cons
some technology is outdated
Waste of time! This company needs a major turn around!
teller (Former Employee) –  Macomb County, MISeptember 29, 2016
They still operate on Microsoft DOS! The upper management has their blinders on and do not focus enough attention as to the way the branches are running. A common scenario; 4 tellers scheduled 2 tellers including the "head teller" are in the drive thru with barely any cars coming, another teller working on ATM transactions on the teller line, as members wait too long in line to do their basic banking transactions because that leaves 1 out of 4 tellers to actually wait on them. The managers are busy talking to each other to even be aware of the situation. Don't waste your time here because it is hard and takes along time to move up in any position.
Pros
great 401k
Cons
poor moral and low pay
Great people, gestapo style managment and high turnover
Accounting Specialist (Former Employee) –  Clinton Township, MIAugust 13, 2012
I worked here for many years, despite low pay and few opportunities for advancement. I enjoyed working with the majority of the employees here. Unfortunately, management is another story. Morale is low and there is a lot of turnover at all levels. The company motto is "do more with less". Most departments are understaffed and employees are overworked/underpaid. Eventually most of them quit, very few stay for long.
Pros
good health benefits and generous vacation time
Cons
low pay, little opportunity for advancement, low morale
No Advancement
Banking Specialist (Current Employee) –  MichiganJanuary 18, 2017
You feel stuck in your position. There are no advancements. They don't encourage growth and development programs. No career building strategies for those who are serious about career advancements.

401k is a plus. Management style varies depending on which dept you're in.
Pros
401k, location
Cons
Lack of career advancement. Management
So glad I'm with MSGCU
Teller (Current Employee) –  Charter Township of Clinton, MIJune 29, 2015
I am going to school for Accounting and wanted a more professional part time job while attending school. I applied with the CU and did a 3 step process which was really cool (overview of the job, a test and an interview I recorded). I was picked for an interview and hired within 2 weeks of applying!

This organization is very caring and they give you a lot of training when you start. I really like the job and hope I can continue on after I graduate!
Pros
Lots of free/healthy food, 401k and vacation for part-timers
Awesome organization
Retail Services (Current Employee) –  Troy, MIJuly 30, 2015
I have been with MSGCU for three years and absolutely love it. I've had former employers ask me to come back but will never leave. It's a small enough organization that you feel like a family, but strong and successful enough to have the technology and training you need.
Pros
Lot's of free food, great benefits
Cons
Senior management can be slow to change
Great Benefits
IS Technician (Current Employee) –  Troy, MIJune 3, 2015
Great Health Benefits. Great place to work as long as you are not in the IT Dept. They expect way too much from you and don't provide you with any support when you need assistance on a project.
Pros
Health Benefits, 401k
Cons
Co-workers
Friendly, Growth Opportunity, Multi-tasking Required
Head Teller (Current Employee) –  Troy, MINovember 13, 2014
Typical Day: Fulfilling all requirements set by organization to keep the branch running efficiently as possible.

Learning Experience: Training on coaching and managing employees, learning how to flex management style to fit the work style of different employees, motivational management to encourage employees to meet goals, and training on communication styles and how to break personal barriers that may cause tension in the workplace.

Co-workers: Friendly, team-oriented, helpful individuals that work together to better the organization.

Hardest Part of the Job: Position requires a lot of multi-tasking which can be hard for some people.

Most Enjoyable Part of the Job: Helping members (customers) meet their financial goals and coaching employees to help them achieve their career goals.
Good Credit Union but could be better
Teller (Former Employee) –  Macomb County, MIJanuary 18, 2017
Great Training Program....
Nothing is concise across the board... Working at different branches ; Ethics and standards depends on the management team that is running that particular branch.
Instead of giving bonuses ; they will have lunch provided or an ice cream social... I would rather have a monetary bonus instead of ice cream.
They can't keep employees thats why they are always hiring... Have to know someone to get anywhere.
Pros
Free ice cream or $5 gift card for bonuses
Cons
Health Care ; Bad Management ; Company not equal across the board for standards
An excellent organization to be a part of.
Mortgage Loan Processor (Current Employee) –  Troy, MIMay 29, 2017
Michigan Schools and Government Credit Union is an organization that cares for it's membership as well as their employees. Teamwork is encouraged and management is very supportive.
Pros
Good benefit package, employee wellness program
Fun, Good company to work for
Teller (Former Employee) –  St. Clair ShoresSeptember 15, 2015
It was a good place to work just not much room for advancement. Overall great to their employees - would recommend this company to friends and family.
Wonderful work environment, great people
Records Representative (Current Employee) –  Troy, MIFebruary 26, 2014
I love my workplace! We have been rated one of Michigan's top 100 places to work. There is so much engagement by everyone, it is very refreshing. Our company has undergone such a tremendous growth in the last year catapulting us to a top financial ranking in the Metro Detroit area, allowing us to compete with large banks.
Its hit and miss
Teller (Current Employee) –  MichiganNovember 17, 2015
I know a lot of people who love it here and a lot of people that hate it. This company doesn't seem to know what it wants to be, very sales focused like a bank or member focused like a credit union. It has been causing stress on everyone, there is no clear directive.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Michigan Schools & Government Credit Union. Our community is ready to answer.

Michigan Schools & Government Credit Union Reviews by Location