Michigan State University
76Above average
4.3

Michigan State University Employee Reviews

United States839 reviews
About all you can expect
It was a student worker position without any long-term goals or opportunities.

I had a great manager who was friendly and respected my work.

There was no opportunity for advancement or much learning.
Tow the line or you will be tossed - union or not.
A typical leftist university. Do not question or provide actual work if it means your department will look bad. Department first, students last. The bureaucracy is so thick, you'll never know how anything of significance gets done. Universities like this are where people go w/ mediocre skills who don't mind wasting other peoples' money. If you have a conscience, (except maybe the professors and researchers), leave it at the door of political correctness. Excellence in doing your job is trumped by excellence at schmoozing.
Keep looking
Now is not the time to join MSU. Complete overhaul, no one knows what will change day-to-day and a $550,000,000 lawsuit settlement is coming on the backs of lower-level employees.
A hit or miss with interns
I feel like most interns I talk to either feel like they have so much work at a pretty high level or not enough work at all. There is not a good in-between.
Good
Typical day work is smooth and Friendly workplace environment. Hardest part of fellowship is shortage of Nurse practitioner. There is very supportive team work.
Changes
Political work environment. Many family members work together. The campus is going through major changes with a new president. Raises and overtime have been put on pause.
Worst job ever
The inmates run the assilum. It is a culture of blame shifting and finger pointing and the union protecta and promotes the lazy and incompetent. Bad and arrogant leadership
The people are kind and fun to be around. The team mentality is one of focus and cooperation. There is a strong sense of community and belonging in the workplace.
pretty good starting job
great job to start out and learn how to teamwork. it helped me learn how to meet dead, adapt to situations and overall interact with others more. I would defiantly recommend it to those who are in university to get there feet wet.
I really love working at Michigan State because it's family-oriented in an outgoing environment with all different races and everybody is treated fair
The most enjoyable part of working at Michigan State is that we have flexible hours different nationalities outgoing atmosphere everyone gets along well
Pros
The pay is great flexible hours
Cons
Like a every job there could be some people that just not happy in start trouble
Enjoyable working experience
Great ways to connect to others, helping students and their parents during the game days are my favorite. I like when people came in to our neighborhood building and ask how to get to the bathroom. Then they start telling us about how much things have changed since they graduated from MSU. They always like to be back and give support.
Sparty’s
Human Resources over the years has made huge progress since 2017. A typical work day consists of 4-5 hours for students since we work park time. Full time students can only work 29 hours a week. The most enjoyable part was the co-workers and supervisor while on shift.
Productive and flexible work/personal life
Working at Michigan State University as a student has been some of the most flexible positions that I've ever experienced. The management are very open with working with students schedules.
Good Benifits
okay pay, good benefits, good people.Working there was great, but only because of the coworkers. The management they have there is mediocre at best. Let the bad workers be lazy, and depend on the good workers to do all the work.
Well Cultured
The department I work in has been helpful in my professional growth, particularly allowing me to focus my energies on areas my skills are best suited. The only downside is the weather during the winter.
New director not compassionate
Sexist hostile work environment.
Deans of AG college unaware of what happens in everyday teaching atmosphere. Students sit behind computer screen and bash the people who care for them most... the professors!

A FEW BAD APPLES RUINED A GREAT PROGRAM.

Students are the ones who suffer. So unfortunate.
Nice work experience
Assisted teachers with instruction to 70 students and provided support for diverse needs to improve student’s academic
knowledge and software operation skills (Excel, Access).

Leaded a 2-hr helping session per week to taught and summarize study material cover within one week and answer question

about homework and class material.
Great Workers, Awful Management
Working there was great, but only because of the coworkers. The management they have there is terrible and never seems to get better. Same old same old, move the worst workers up, and depend on the good workers to do all the work.
Great Atmosphere and Place to Work
I absolutely love working at State, the campus is one of the most beautiful in the whole nation, and the people here are typically nice and pleasant. The culture here has been getting some bad press recently, but most of that is not true for everyday students and employees.
Productive workplace
I learned many scientific practices and was given a lot of advise towards my future career. Lab communication and management were the main issues I had while working in research labs (but that seems to be the norm ). Overall I gained a lot of experience and met many contacts.
Great place for an education
Great place for graduate school; professors and support were great; I would highly recommend Michigan State University as a school for graduate coursework.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Michigan State University. Our community is ready to answer.
4.3
4.2
Women's ratings

2.5Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.