Michigan State University Employee Reviews

Msu
Nematology Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MINovember 13, 2018
Michigan State was a great place to go to school and work. All the professors knew you had a hectic schedule and allowed you to work around your classes and still get your job done. I definitely recommend any professor in College of Agriculture and Natural Resources.
Fine.
Research fellow (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MINovember 13, 2018
Academia is a difficult place, but MSU makes it nice. I enjoyed my time there but for me it's time to move to a new chapter since I'm graduating. Go green.
Immediate supervisors usually strong, administrative leadership within divisions unhealthy
STUDENT AFFAIRS AND SERVICES (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MINovember 13, 2018
I enjoyed working with my immediate supervisor while there and it is possible to find niche relationships. However, the general culture is somewhat isolated and the upper administration is dysfunctional.
MSU Dairy Farm Worker (Current Employee) –  Lansing miNovember 12, 2018
Nice place to work and a friendly environment. Everything gets done very efficiently, and time is managed very well. My fellow co workers are reliable and fun to work with.
Conducive to being productive
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  East Lansing, MINovember 6, 2018
There is a great staff at Michigan State University. The course instructors really know what they are doing and they will always be willing to help you out if you need it.
great place to work
Student Supervisor, Brody Food Service (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MINovember 6, 2018
I honestly can't say anything bad. If you show up, do what you are supposed to do, you will be great. Individuals with great work ethic and a stellar personality always has a chance to advance!

Attendance is enforced by the way!
MSU Review
Student Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MINovember 3, 2018
Michigan State University is a fun place to work, with a lot of great benefits. There is room for growth and improvement and a lot of options for help for employees.
Depends on the Department
Administrative Assistant I (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIOctober 24, 2018
The work/life balance, job culture, management, etc. all vary from department to department. It is not consistent and can vary greatly depending upon leadership within the unit.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Hard to advance without a higher degree
productive and fun place to work
Cashier and desk clerk - Michigan State University (Current Employee) –  East Lansing, MIOctober 15, 2018
It is a very relaxed work environment and they are very understanding about you being a student and knowing that you have other priorities aside from working.
balancing life and job
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  East Lansing, MIOctober 12, 2018
Located in East Lansing, the nature of Michigan State University is painted with all shades of greens and calm rivers. The calming environment can be felt in the work environment. Regardless of the job-related stress, one can feel revitalized after inhaling the fresh air outside. The job environment focuses much more on personal development than the competition. Hence, the job environment helps feel security and increases internal motivation to be more successful.
Pros
calming environment, beautiful nature
Cons
harsh winter
Chill Job
Service Center Representative (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIOctober 12, 2018
For the most part you can just do your homework but most stressful during the beginning and end of semesters and mandatory finals week working. Mostly sitting.
Great job for young or single persons without kids. Great for students.
Custodian II (Current Employee) –  East Lansing, MIOctober 10, 2018
An easy job to fulfill. There is not much room for advancement within the career so it is a good job for people going through school as they do work well around student schedules. If you get into a position where you want to change shifts i.e. second to third, it is very difficult to ever go back to second shift or first shift no matter your reason. Management overall may not be the greatest, however some individual supervisors are easy to get along with and are good with communicating and quick with relaying information. The hardest part of the job is like any, the larger the group you are working with, the more personalities and more opportunity for personalities to collide. The most enjoyable part of the job is being on campus, it has a fun, upbeat energy.
Pros
Nice having three day weekends.
Cons
Schedules not easily changeable.
Teacher Assistant (2+ Years’ Experience)
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  MichiganOctober 8, 2018
Hold the office hour to answer the students' questions about the courses, assignments, and projects. Also, I need to grade the assignments, projects, and exams.
Lots of Opportunities
RESEARCH TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIOctober 8, 2018
Quiet place to work with many opportunities if you look for them. Many times you have to find your own way. The people are nice and keep to themselves.
Pros
Weekly Seminars
Cons
Lack of planning
It was a part-time college job.
Level IV Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIOctober 3, 2018
What can I say? I worked in the dining hall part-time through much of college. Nobody expects much going into that. Still, I made some lifelong friends and even became close with some of the management. I gained a lot of leadership training and while I like to think that this has helped me with my job prospects, I think there are better ways to earn it.
Pros
Convenient locations around campus
Cons
Work environment isn't always healthy
Great Job
Custodian (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MISeptember 30, 2018
Worked at this place until I had to move out of state. Wonderful place to work with wonderful benefits. Great family environment among staff and fair management. I loved this job.
Prep cook and server
Culinary Worker (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MISeptember 25, 2018
Working at MSU was a fun but stressful experience the fun part was interacting with the students as well as serving them.

The stress came when feeding over 5,000 students on a daily basis, the work got to be a bit much, but it was exciting once we got everyone served.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Energetic work place.
Facilities Maintenance (Current Employee) –  East Lansing, MISeptember 21, 2018
It is a very good job. I just wish that I was able to work more hours. Very productive everyday and made you feel accomplished pushed between helping others. It also kept you moving so it went by quickly.
Pros
Meal passes
Cons
Limited hours
I worked through MSU- but the CDL was my best job :)
Student Teacher - Child Development Lab (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MISeptember 21, 2018
I worked a few jobs while at MSU- started from the caf, to phys plant and then to child development lab.
I'm a pretty flexible person who typically gets along with everyone but working at the CDL was my favorite job I found most passion in. It was finally a job that fit my degree program.
Not too bad
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  East Lansing, MISeptember 19, 2018
Postdoctoral experience depends more on the professor you work for other than on institution. The pay is standard, medical insurance is pretty good, no retirement contributions though.