Michigan State University Employee Reviews

Steeped in 50s factory thinking, regardless of position
Information Technologist II (Current Employee) –  East Lansing, MISeptember 6, 2018
I certainly feel like Michigan State University places its employees last in line behind literally every other category of person. Also, the union has no ability to do anything and celebrates any minor concession that MSU deigns to provide, no matter how insignificant.
Loved it
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MISeptember 6, 2018
One of the best jobs I ever had. My position was seasonal and that forced me to move on. If it was a full time position I likely would still be there.
Great School
Summer Internship (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MISeptember 4, 2018
This was a great school with many opportunities available to me. I had a great time, in a wonderful program. The campus was clean and beautiful. Recommended.
Michigan State University Curriculum Assistant
Curriculum Assistant (Current Employee) –  East Lansing, MISeptember 4, 2018
My job at MSU was rewarding from the aspect that I was able to work with Medical students on a daily basis. I had a wonderful supervisor who was very flexible with my schedule and very accomadating to my role as a father. In a typical day at MSU was me returning communication with the students, then building modules for the students to use in their curriculum, and I was also responsible for inputting students grades in the SIS grading system. My only issue with working in certain departements at MSU is that you are in a dead-end position where there is no upward movement available. The work environment, benefits, and supervision were excellent.
Pros
Healthy work environment, great benefits!
Cons
Low ability to move upward, poor pay!
I loved it.
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIAugust 29, 2018
As a student I works on average 20 hours a week. I found the balance between work, school, and life manageable and pleasant. The office I worked in had a fantastic, energetic culture, which was my most enjoyable part of the job. The hardest part of the job was having the office move across campus, but even this was an easy adjustment.
Pros
Discounted meals, free beverages, sufficient breaks
Msu
Technical Support (Current Employee) –  East Lansing, MIAugust 26, 2018
Working at the lab has been rewarding but the lack of access to a 401k or matching funds for part time work is been frustrating. It's something that I've just needed to get used to.
Pros
Freedom
Cons
non benifits for pt.
Ok pay, but somewhat stressful
General Kitchen Worker (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIAugust 26, 2018
A typical day at work included the managers consistently saying that enough wasn't being done because there were more customers than the number of people working could handle. There was a mix of employees that ranged from feeling uncomfortable because of harassment or people who were so chill that they didn't even do their job.
Pleasurable work environment
Dietetic Intern (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIAugust 22, 2018
My dietetic internship program was a wonderful experience. I learned so much during this 9-month-long program, which has laid a great foundation upon which I can build my career as a Registered Dietitian.
Residents were great but management was not.
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIAugust 21, 2018
Management prioritized things that treated college students as children without acknowledging that they can accomplish tasks on their own. We needed to be considered as a resource and not as a teacher.
Excellent
Student Time Keeper (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIAugust 17, 2018
My day consisted of marking down the students and when they arrived/left. I then reported to the heads of the department. I also assisted in the office; filing paper-work, making copies, creating profiles, any other work the bosses may have needed.
Really nice place to work
Gameplay Programmer (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIAugust 15, 2018
I was an intern at Michigan State University and I loved it. They have flexible schedules but lots of deadlines. I was given many tasks to keep me busy as well as the freedom to prioritize the tasks given. The work environment was really clean and they gave me all the equipment necessary to complete my tasks. The culture was extremely laid back and very relaxing. I learned tons of techniques in Unity and how coding can be applied to accomplish anything.
Pros
Really nice equipment
Cons
Little pay
A great career
College Alumni Relations Director (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIAugust 15, 2018
Great team members! Educational and interesting connections with successful alumni and faculty members. Many, many stretch opportunities throughout my career at MSU Go GREEN!
Pros
Great employment and retirement benefits
Cons
Paid parking
Excellent place to work as a student
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIAugust 14, 2018
I loved my employer at MSU and would gladly work there again. I learned a great amount about pesticide Modes of Action and how to put together a proper herbicide program
Nice place to work
Electrical Engineer III (Current Employee) –  East Lansing, MIAugust 8, 2018
Engineering principles, practices and independent decision making normally associated with that of a team leader experienced in engineering applications, specifically within the Telecommunications industry
It really depends on the group you work for.
Research Technician (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIAugust 8, 2018
The only thing that makes working at MSU bearable is that my boss is flexible with time off. The pay I get as a Research Technician is laughable and quite insulting when compared to nearby institutions. There's also absolutely no chance for advancement in my group.

MSU is hyper focused on their office workers. They tend to forget there are laboratory workers that also strive for advancement. We don't get MSU sponsored classes like the office people.
Pros
My boss' flexibility
Cons
Pay, No advancement
Good standards for food safety
Cook (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIAugust 6, 2018
Good environment to work in. Good teamwork. Everybody got along together and got the job done in a timely manner. You will get a wealth of experience preparing menu items for three meals a day.
Pros
Helping students complete their job in a quality manner
Cons
Not enough hours
Learning Environment
Temp Intern (Former Employee) –  CCED - Michigan Ave, LansingJuly 29, 2018
I enjoyed working in an environment where I was constantly learning and contributing.I was able to use my professional skills and learn new skills. I enjoyed my supervisor.
Michigan State University
Data Collector (Current Employee) –  Flint, MIJuly 24, 2018
Michigan State Department of Public health is dedicated to interacting, collaborating, and supporting local communities in which they are located and beyond.
Great Graduate Microbiology Program
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIJuly 24, 2018
Worked as a Graduate Research Assistant in the microbiology department. Some professors have their reputation, but most of the professors are very supportive and excellent mentors.
Collaborative but very hands-off management
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  East Lansing, MIJuly 23, 2018
Collaboration is a great feature of MSU, however, benefits aren't the greatest and pay as a grad student is OK. Work/life balance could be better and parking is a nightmare due to the size of the student body (~46,000).