Michigan State University Employee Reviews

Decent place to work
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIJanuary 17, 2019
The workforce is outstanding and a fabulous team. I would there again in the right conditions. Not bad, but not the best in town either. Administration, especially HR, can be cold & uncaring.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
parking fees required to work on site.
Exploring knowledge
Researcher in Electrical Engineering (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIJanuary 14, 2019
I got to work with the professor in my major. This job is directly the field that I learn so, I got to explore electrical engineering in a more deep knowledge that I had never learn in class.
Pros
I got to experience something new.
Cons
conflict with my school schedule
Average work spot
Team Member (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIJanuary 10, 2019
Beware of managers - some are unfair. The workers were lovely, pay was okay, but they will work you just be on time, never late. Always dress right no leggings or jeggings, have proper work shoes. Watch how long you take on your breaks.
Pros
eat free food
Cons
sometimes no breaks, no real days off, over work you, don't raise up pay for overtime.
Good place
PhD Candidate (Current Employee) –  East Lansing, MIJanuary 9, 2019
I'm a PhD Candidate here and I enjoyed the environment in the chemistry department. I spend most of my day in the lab doing research. MSU provides a good working space. And I am a TA for some semesters. This brings me a lot of opportunities to communicate with undergraduate students.
RA Review
Residential Assistant (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIJanuary 8, 2019
As an RA I was able to focus on school while having room and board provided through MSU. The provided payment was adequate for my responsibilities. The working hours were often at night while on call.
Temporary Job
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIJanuary 4, 2019
Both positions were temperature and ended when I graduated. I helped with orientation for the summer and then I was a resident assistant for the 20215-2016 school year. It was an unpaid position that offered free room and board and a meal plan.
Long hours, but good environment
Resource Fair Coordinator (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIJanuary 3, 2019
During the two years I worked at MSU, I would definitely say that I learned a lot about myself and my work ethic. Working for the university kept me on my toes, and I learned more than anything about how to work on a team and how to handle "customers". The management for the orientation program was great, except sometimes it was hard to talk to managers due to only about three working. The workplace culture was one of encouragement, freedom to suggest ideas, and putting your best foot forward.
Good jobs for time management as a student
Extremist Researcher (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIDecember 30, 2018
Easy to work and accomplish homework
This was a research position held for a few months, not a full time or part time job. The professor was dedicated and friendly. There were no meetings, just online research.
fast paced
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIDecember 17, 2018
I worked there temporary in different departments. Enjoyed working with everyone. Parking is a pain and costly. Management was easy to get along with.
Michigan State University overall is a great place to work for. Their benefits are amazing and provide a lot of growth and opportunity within the comp
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIDecember 13, 2018
I would recommend looking into employment at Michigan State University. The benefits they provide and the salary that they provide are excellent. There is lots of room for advancement.
Great Management, Good Time at Work
Financial Aid Phone Bank (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIDecember 9, 2018
Being a part of the financial aid phonebank was mostly fun, but at times stressful. We were expected to learn the computer system within a week and it was fairly complicated for someone who doesn't have a background in computers. The management was really nice and when the phones weren't ringing, you can do whatever you want which was nice!
Good place for a post -doc position
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIDecember 7, 2018
MSU is a good school for both undergrads, grad students and post-docs. East Lansing is a good mid-western town ideal for students; not too big, not too rowdy.
Pros
good school, inexpensive cost of living
Management was not very friendly and hours were terrible
Kitchen Helper (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIDecember 4, 2018
I do commend that they try to give jobs to people but the overhiring became a huge problem for me personally trying to get hours. The mangers were at often times very unfriendly and some would give very nasty looks at people. I found this very uneasy and do not like working in a negative envirement.
Pros
Eat for free, friendly customers
Cons
Grumpy managers, lack of hours
Workplace culture
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  East Lansing, MIDecember 3, 2018
Was doing Ph.D. somedays were very stressful and others were extremely slow due to lack of collaboration. Good teachers and got to learn a lot. Overall good experience but salary was low.
Top Ten Employer in Michigan
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MINovember 29, 2018
Management is highly supportive. Budgets are very generous. Opportunities for collaboration abound. All of the employees are best friends. This is one of the best places to work in Michigan.
Pros
Offers good opportunities for advancement.
Cons
Salary is a little low.
Student Assistant position
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MINovember 29, 2018
Very easy going staff where i worked in the Chemical Eng and Materials Science Department. was able to accomplish tasks how i wanted to and was given authority over various processes such as everything to do with mailing, packaging and setting up meetings etc.
Food Prep & Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MINovember 27, 2018
The supervisors are very friendly, and the culture is very friendly as well. The hardest part of the job is washing dishes during a very popular meal hour. Overall it is a decent job with great coworkers.
Detail oriented and fast pace
Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MINovember 18, 2018
• Data entry in financial system database appropriately to insure proper processing of invoices, vouchers, expense reports, check requests, etc.
• Handles all vendor correspondence via phone or email
• Prepares non-inventory purchase order requisitions.
Very friendly environment
Recreational Workout Class Instructor (Current Employee) –  East Lansing, MINovember 14, 2018
Overall, working here has been a great time. It is a relaxed and helpful environment where everyone helps everyone to succeed. I would absolutely recommend working here.
Pros
flexible work hours, friendly staff
Msu
Nematology Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MINovember 13, 2018
Michigan State was a great place to go to school and work. All the professors knew you had a hectic schedule and allowed you to work around your classes and still get your job done. I definitely recommend any professor in College of Agriculture and Natural Resources.