Michigan State University Employee Reviews

Facility Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Shaw laneJuly 7, 2018
I wouldn't want to work anywhere else. I love this place more than life itself. Great pay, great benefits. Great everything. Great room for advancement!
Pros
Benefits, pay, paid time off, unions.
Cons
Truly nothing
Great Opportunity
Intern Instructor (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIJune 29, 2018
I was an intern instructor at the English Language Center. I received a stipend and my tuition was covered. I learned how to apply what I was learning during my coursework. I was able to balance my hours with my studies and it was a great atmosphere to get feedback.
Pros
Good pay, tuition benefits
Cons
Politics
Short experience, seemed fine
NSF Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIJune 29, 2018
I worked here for ten weeks as part of a national summer program. It seemed comparable to other physics departments. I cannot speak to a general experience here.
Productive, relaxed, and treated like more than a student employee
Student Supervisor (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIJune 26, 2018
Excellent place to work. Management was incredible and the culture was amazing. Working here while going to school full time over the course of a year was very nice and being treated like an associate to the managers rather than a student working for them was a humbling experience that, without a doubt, has positively shaped me as an employee and manager.
Pros
free meals
OKay
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIJune 25, 2018
Nice school it is okay the working environment was always positive and very outgoing. I loved the school and recommend people to go there. Really great school.
Pros
good school
Cons
idk
The job fit my interests and training specifically
LECTURER (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIJune 14, 2018
My job consisted of coaching student jazz ensembles and teaching private lessons. I learned quite a bit about how to organize lessons that happened 8-10 times during the semester and gain a lot of experience in how to organize and conduct student musical activity (rehearsals, concerts). My boss, the chairman of the jazz department, and the Dean of the music school were very supportive in providing a space to work that I was able to tailor to my strengths and vision. The workplace was pleasant and suited to me because I like working in places of learning. The hardest part of the job was the commute (1.5 hours one way). The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing students grow and develop over the course of the year of school.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Commute
Easy
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIJune 11, 2018
I worked as a traffic worker for the MSU police department. I would work the traffic for special events that occurred on campus. I was able to pick my own schedule that worked best for me. As long as I worked one shift per month. Honestly the easiest job I have had.
Great job for students in college
Service Center Representative (Current Employee) –  East Lansing, MIJune 10, 2018
Great job where you can also work on things like homework depending on your shift! Plenty of opportunities to work with people from all over the world.
Productive and very conducive for growth and professional development.
MI (Current Employee) –  MIMay 31, 2018
It is a good place to interact, grow, learn and produce. I have grown and have had a chance to spread my wings and expand my skills. At times, I feel overwhelmed with the work pressure, but I also feel very accomplished.
Pros
nutritive environment, with very good coordination among colleagues
Cons
Too much work load at times, long work hours
Fiscal Officer
Fiscal Officer (Current Employee) –  East Lansing, MIMay 30, 2018
run report
process invoices for payment
process contracts annually
input payroll
keeping track of multi-million dollar budget
supervise student employee
process sponsorships & donations

Want to know more about Michigan State University?

Ask a question
Pretty good
Rivertrail Human Resource Assistant (Current Employee) –  East Lansing, MIMay 29, 2018
Michigan State University has great opportunities and a stable work environment. Unfortunately promotions don't happened as quickly as people would like, and usually employees end up staying in the same position longer than they expect. Still, msu has great benefits and good work culture.
ok
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  East Lansing, MIMay 24, 2018
Goos place to work. I would recommend it to others. High performing and research oriented university. Strong team work and resources available are a plus.
Very Well mix of Students and full-time
Maintenance Manager/Technician (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIMay 21, 2018
Sparty's had a great rapport with students and full-time employees. My personal experience was a small division of Sparty's working in maintenance with one other coworker and one full-time office manager to report to. We had a great relationship and freedom to manage our own schedules and daily objectives as student employees.
good place to work
Custodial 2 (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIMay 21, 2018
Working as a custodial 2 there was a lot of training to become a professional and get rewarded. learning how to properly mop floors , using the right products , stripping wax off floors and put new finish on floor, cleaning carpets, we clean offices, hallways, restrooms and classrooms. We have machines we use to clean floors such as scrubbers, buffers carpet abstracter.
Pros
machines is very helpful in cleaning
Cons
some of the machines weight too much in the elevadors like the riding floor machine
Being a GA at MSU is great, wish they paid more
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIMay 16, 2018
Wonderful to get college paid for entirely. But it's hard being a GA when you can't take another job realistically to pay your bills. Sure, tuition is paid for and there is a stipend, but it's not enough to live on.
Great Institution
Student (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIMay 15, 2018
I am a Spartan through and through. I was never I big person to allegiances to a particular school or culture but Michigan State changed that forever. I will bleed green and white forever after my experience at MSU.
Great Place to Work
Secretary III (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMay 14, 2018
Michigan State was an amazing company to work for. They took care of their employees and made sure we had everything we needed to complete our jobs. The benefits where phenomenal and the work/life balance was also a major plus.
Agradavel
Orientador (Former Employee) –  Ingham County, MIMay 13, 2018
Foi muito bom representar o meu pais na Michigan State University
Great summer job
Associate Professor (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIMay 4, 2018
I work during the summer with the students in science to get them prepared for their futures in the STEM. The students were allowed to create and be a real scientist.
Pros
college life
Cons
to far from home
Great benefits, but no job progression
Microcomputer hardware/software coordinator (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIMay 3, 2018
At MSU you receive fully paid for health care, and great 401k matching. The roles are under-paid, and many people work there for a long time, promised advancement with no delivery, or additional training.
Pros
Great benefits, good culture
Cons
No advancement