Michigan State University Employee Reviews

balancing life and job
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  East Lansing, MIOctober 12, 2018
Located in East Lansing, the nature of Michigan State University is painted with all shades of greens and calm rivers. The calming environment can be felt in the work environment. Regardless of the job-related stress, one can feel revitalized after inhaling the fresh air outside. The job environment focuses much more on personal development than the competition. Hence, the job environment helps feel security and increases internal motivation to be more successful.
Pros
calming environment, beautiful nature
Cons
harsh winter
Chill Job
Service Center Representative (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIOctober 12, 2018
For the most part you can just do your homework but most stressful during the beginning and end of semesters and mandatory finals week working. Mostly sitting.
Great job for young or single persons without kids. Great for students.
Custodian II (Current Employee) –  East Lansing, MIOctober 10, 2018
An easy job to fulfill. There is not much room for advancement within the career so it is a good job for people going through school as they do work well around student schedules. If you get into a position where you want to change shifts i.e. second to third, it is very difficult to ever go back to second shift or first shift no matter your reason. Management overall may not be the greatest, however some individual supervisors are easy to get along with and are good with communicating and quick with relaying information. The hardest part of the job is like any, the larger the group you are working with, the more personalities and more opportunity for personalities to collide. The most enjoyable part of the job is being on campus, it has a fun, upbeat energy.
Pros
Nice having three day weekends.
Cons
Schedules not easily changeable.
Teacher Assistant (2+ Years’ Experience)
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  MichiganOctober 8, 2018
Hold the office hour to answer the students' questions about the courses, assignments, and projects. Also, I need to grade the assignments, projects, and exams.
Lots of Opportunities
RESEARCH TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIOctober 8, 2018
Quiet place to work with many opportunities if you look for them. Many times you have to find your own way. The people are nice and keep to themselves.
Pros
Weekly Seminars
Cons
Lack of planning
It was a part-time college job.
Level IV Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIOctober 3, 2018
What can I say? I worked in the dining hall part-time through much of college. Nobody expects much going into that. Still, I made some lifelong friends and even became close with some of the management. I gained a lot of leadership training and while I like to think that this has helped me with my job prospects, I think there are better ways to earn it.
Pros
Convenient locations around campus
Cons
Work environment isn't always healthy
Great Job
Custodian (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MISeptember 30, 2018
Worked at this place until I had to move out of state. Wonderful place to work with wonderful benefits. Great family environment among staff and fair management. I loved this job.
Prep cook and server
Culinary Worker (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MISeptember 25, 2018
Working at MSU was a fun but stressful experience the fun part was interacting with the students as well as serving them.

The stress came when feeding over 5,000 students on a daily basis, the work got to be a bit much, but it was exciting once we got everyone served.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Energetic work place.
Facilities Maintenance (Current Employee) –  East Lansing, MISeptember 21, 2018
It is a very good job. I just wish that I was able to work more hours. Very productive everyday and made you feel accomplished pushed between helping others. It also kept you moving so it went by quickly.
Pros
Meal passes
Cons
Limited hours
I worked through MSU- but the CDL was my best job :)
Student Teacher - Child Development Lab (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MISeptember 21, 2018
I worked a few jobs while at MSU- started from the caf, to phys plant and then to child development lab.
I'm a pretty flexible person who typically gets along with everyone but working at the CDL was my favorite job I found most passion in. It was finally a job that fit my degree program.
Not too bad
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  East Lansing, MISeptember 19, 2018
Postdoctoral experience depends more on the professor you work for other than on institution. The pay is standard, medical insurance is pretty good, no retirement contributions though.
Fun atmosphere with flexible hours
Admissions Office Intern (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MISeptember 17, 2018
MSU breeds a culture that is Sparty oriented. The College of Law is a great place to work. It's a professional environment that allows one to network as well as learn.
Steeped in 50s factory thinking, regardless of position
Information Technologist II (Current Employee) –  East Lansing, MISeptember 6, 2018
I certainly feel like Michigan State University places its employees last in line behind literally every other category of person. Also, the union has no ability to do anything and celebrates any minor concession that MSU deigns to provide, no matter how insignificant.
Loved it
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MISeptember 6, 2018
One of the best jobs I ever had. My position was seasonal and that forced me to move on. If it was a full time position I likely would still be there.
Great School
Summer Internship (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MISeptember 4, 2018
This was a great school with many opportunities available to me. I had a great time, in a wonderful program. The campus was clean and beautiful. Recommended.
Michigan State University Curriculum Assistant
Curriculum Assistant (Current Employee) –  East Lansing, MISeptember 4, 2018
My job at MSU was rewarding from the aspect that I was able to work with Medical students on a daily basis. I had a wonderful supervisor who was very flexible with my schedule and very accomadating to my role as a father. In a typical day at MSU was me returning communication with the students, then building modules for the students to use in their curriculum, and I was also responsible for inputting students grades in the SIS grading system. My only issue with working in certain departements at MSU is that you are in a dead-end position where there is no upward movement available. The work environment, benefits, and supervision were excellent.
Pros
Healthy work environment, great benefits!
Cons
Low ability to move upward, poor pay!
I loved it.
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIAugust 29, 2018
As a student I works on average 20 hours a week. I found the balance between work, school, and life manageable and pleasant. The office I worked in had a fantastic, energetic culture, which was my most enjoyable part of the job. The hardest part of the job was having the office move across campus, but even this was an easy adjustment.
Pros
Discounted meals, free beverages, sufficient breaks
Msu
Technical Support (Current Employee) –  East Lansing, MIAugust 26, 2018
Working at the lab has been rewarding but the lack of access to a 401k or matching funds for part time work is been frustrating. It's something that I've just needed to get used to.
Pros
Freedom
Cons
non benifits for pt.
Ok pay, but somewhat stressful
General Kitchen Worker (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIAugust 26, 2018
A typical day at work included the managers consistently saying that enough wasn't being done because there were more customers than the number of people working could handle. There was a mix of employees that ranged from feeling uncomfortable because of harassment or people who were so chill that they didn't even do their job.
Pleasurable work environment
Dietetic Intern (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIAugust 22, 2018
My dietetic internship program was a wonderful experience. I learned so much during this 9-month-long program, which has laid a great foundation upon which I can build my career as a Registered Dietitian.