Micro Center Employee Reviews

friendly employees, easy work
LEAD CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 21, 2019
the employees are great and friendly. they'll help you out if you're in need of help as well as the supervisors there. the managers are more nonchilant. they try to show their authority more than help out.
Pros
discounts, free food, great healthcare
Cons
senior managers
Great Job to Have
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Hilliard, OHApril 18, 2019
Working at Micro Center was a great experience. While working phone customer service is usually stressful, working here was worth it. The management is pretty awesome to work with. During holidays and other busy sales periods the managers will often offer food or other perks.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Often felt rushed during high call volume, insurance was expensive
Nice Coworkers
Database Administrator (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 14, 2019
Nice management and coworkers. I have learned a lot working at Micro Center. I will recommend this place to someone that likes to work with people. Great experience.
I hated working there
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSApril 13, 2019
Every day felt like I had to repeat everything I said to different people, and sometimes the same people. It drained me physically and emotionally. The managers dont understand that when sales are slow that the employees dont feel like they're important because youre earning four dollars and hour. The only time we recieved average hourly was when we were understaffed during one of the worst ice storms of the year. The staff is friendly and cares about you, but ultimately you're an "expendable asset that is easily replaced"- Stores GM.
Pros
Friendly culture
Cons
Everything else
Great place overall, but it's retail
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSApril 8, 2019
It's a commission based workplace, so when it's slow, you don't make much money. Great place to work though. All the people there are super cool and management is great. The benefits are really good too.
Do not work here!!!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Paterson, NJApril 5, 2019
I was a full-time employee there and I was scheduled like I was a part-time employee. Such as being scheduled to work late one night closing the store. (You are there to like 11.) Then opening the store the next morning. (Like 9 am) They made you work every weekend so you couldn't hang out with friends or go out with family. Then with your erratic schedule, your sleep schedule is terrible off.

The managers always wanted us to push plans (warranties) for products. They also pushed employees to get customer information for the system. I was often told my email capture was down. How would I get my email capture up when nobody wants emails?!

I worked 10+ hour shifts. We couldn't hold down employees long enough due to bad hours and practices by the company.

I would never recommend working there.

I was told they won't hire anybody under the age of 18.
Pros
Composted for Selling Warranty Plans, Employee Discounts, Great Place to Buy Stuff
Cons
Really bad work hours.
Destroyer of your enthusiasm for technology
TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAApril 4, 2019
I came here a technician eager to learn new things and update my skills. Strange and odd interview process that seemed disorganized was my first red flag. My job was to work in the tech department servicing computers. What I found was a heavy retail tech department with extreme and unattainable production numbers. Department manager for the tech department was abusive and I ended up literally walking out of the building and quitting on site. Basic facilities for employees like lunch room and even bathroom heavy dated and unclean.Pay was below market rate. What you're dealing with here is a store that has become a victim of it's own success. They churn and burn employees if production is not met. That means taking in and servicing 18-20 computers a day with an insane turn around time of 3 days for each unit while also waiting on parts. Never have I come into a place I was so excited to work and almost immediately wanted to head for the door. They seem to attract technical people who want to be around all the goodies in the store, then when they get you in and away from your prior job the abusive behavior begins. Then you're stuck.
Pros
Employee discounts on merchandise
Cons
Unhealthy work environment, abusive managers, unrealistic goals, dated facility, low pay
Fun at first seeing all the inventory. Gets annoying with sales goals
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tustin, CAMarch 31, 2019
The target goals are sometimes unreachable and are out of your control. Consequences follow if you do not meet them. The co-workers made it bearable, most of the management only care about sales numbers
Both Store and Corporate Management is Terrible
Knowledge Advisor (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDMarch 30, 2019
This is only a job I would reccomend to someone who is getting their first job. The store management is rude and condescending with very few exceptions. Employees have received negative surveys, where the comments from the customer were complaining about how rude the management was, and that employee's name was tied to that customer's purchase. Corporate management berates the store management and audibly screams at them, which can easily be heard by customers. Employee's have been accused of not adhering to store policy and threatened with termination, due to lack of proper training. There is no opportunity for advancement if you've had any sort of absence be it illness, bereavement, or medical leave. There is an overflow of part-time employees and only a handful of full-time, yet part-time employees are rejected when requesting a full time position. The only upside is a significant discount on otherwise expensive cables.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Rude managment, both in store and corporate.
Good place to work for students
employee (Current Employee) –  Distribution Center Columbus OhioMarch 30, 2019
I am still working for the company at the distribution center in Columbus Ohio .I've worked with them for a while now. The Company its self is great with benefits and discounts but the current supervisors always seem to have a negative attitude when the managers are not around. Fast pace good hours and most of the other employees are friendly. It would be nice if they paid a little more or kept up with the cost of living. Its hard to advance at least at the location I'm located. If you are a college student its a great place to work. As far as a long time career. Its a good company but the career you choose with them is the key to your success with them.Most of the management at my location has been there 20+ years so advancement will be very slow as will pay raises but they do the best they can in our current times. Hope this was helpful.
Pros
benefits & discounts
Cons
advancement & pay
Meet very knowledgeable people
General Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAMarch 26, 2019
A normal day at Micro center has great workflow and many learning opportunities.
you learn new thing about different tech everyday and monthly training helps a lot.

Do more with less
Front End Manager (Former Employee) –  Yonkers, NYMarch 19, 2019
I was excited to work here in the beginning. Overtime it became clear that they are salesman selling the dream, but not delivering. More work continually gets added to your responsibilities, but the pay will stay the same and increases in pay are minimal... The raises are "performance based" which means they find something wrong so they don't have to give a good raise "There is always room for improvement." I learned alot from this place, but only because I ended up doing more work then my title entailed. They call it a learning experience but it's more like cheap labor.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Free pizza seems to replace wage increases
March 27, 2019

Thank you for your feedback on what you enjoyed about your work and also where we have some opportunities to improve both our associate and our customers’ experience. I’d like to talk to you about your experience with the management team. If you’d like to call our main HR line and ask for me by name we can discuss your experience further.

Good Place to Start
KNOWLEDGE EXPERT (Former Employee) –  Yonkers, NYMarch 15, 2019
-Good Place to Start but not stay.
-Day starts with a morning meeting.
-Learn about products and reliability
-Management does not have your back (Customer is always right)
-Low morale after busy seasons
-Peers are fun to work with and are generally nice and knowledgable
-Hardest part of the job is dealing with management and home office
-Most enjoyable is meeting new people
Pros
Fun place to work
Cons
Low pay
March 27, 2019

Thank you for your feedback on what you enjoyed about your Micro Center experience and also some areas of opportunity for us to improve. I'd like to hear more about your experience with the managers in your store if you would like to call our main line and ask for me by name.

Micro Center System Sales Associate
SYSTEM SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAMarch 5, 2019
Very fun place to work at, you work at your own pace since majority of your pay is based on commission. Nice management team.
If you like technology and computers, this is a very good place to work for.
March 27, 2019

Thank you for your great 5 star review. Wish you the best in your future career.
Corporate Recruiting Manager

Good place to work, Work life balance can be hard
Retail Sales Manager/Sales Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fresh Meadows, NYFebruary 28, 2019
Great place to work, Sales are commission based and not for everyone. Work life balance is a little difficult when working 50+ hours a week. I wish pay was more in the New York area hard to have this as your only job. Would recommend working here to a close friend.
March 27, 2019

Thank you for the 5 star rating. Glad to hear that you feel the overall experience is outstanding in regards to work life balance, compensation, benefits, job security, company culture and management. We do appreciate your feedback. We strive to provide our associates the best work environment possible! Feel free to reach out to me to discuss the hours and compensation questions you may have.

It's Sales
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago ILFebruary 26, 2019
It's Sales says it all

All the people I worked with were wonderful...I was new to this job and in the short time I was there I was helped a lot.

Hardest part of job was selling extended warranty's that customer's didn't want and for the most part didn't need.

Most enjoyable was ending the shift and going home.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
it's a sales job, learn what you need to and move on
March 27, 2019

We appreciate your review. I would love to hear from you directly so we can improve our employment experience in the future.
614-850-31560

Fun but very limiting
Desktop Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSFebruary 17, 2019
The infrastructure is grossly outdated. Customer is more important than the workers. Management is very hit or miss. Not a bad gig if you like retail.
Pros
Employee purchase, Lots of tech to explore, Nice people, Some customers are very appreciative.
Cons
Lots of high school-like cliques, Managers don't communicate, Support desk feels like a glorified receptionist desk, Surprisingly not very technical, Customers can be very draining, short breaks if any, Corporate likes to change things without receiving any feedback or improving, infrastructure is outdated and poorly implemented, lack of individuality.
March 27, 2019

Thank you for your 4 star rating. Thank you very much for all of the feedback about your employment experience at Micro Center. Glad to hear that your overall experience was positive. If you would like to discuss any additional details about your time with us, feel free to call 614-850-3150.
Jennifer Ratliff
Corporate Recruiting Manager

good company for tech driven sales associates
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tustin, CAFebruary 15, 2019
Good job for tech-driven associates, particularly if you are working with peers, makes for a naturally thriving environment.

Any type of leadership position, avoid at all costs, no support from leadership, and an extremely high turn over.
Pros
Cons
poor senior leadership
March 27, 2019

Hello. I would love to discuss your employment experience in our Tustin store and we can make improvements in that location. Please give me a call in Home Office HR department at 614-850-3150.

Not the best
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Hilliard, OHFebruary 14, 2019
Job was really simple but you had limited resources to help customers. Management cared more about what your call lengths were instead of helping actual customers.
March 27, 2019

Thank you for your feedback on what you enjoyed about your Micro Center experience and also some areas of opportunity for us to improve. I'd like to hear more about these opportunities if you would like to call our home office human resources department.
614-850-3150

Customer Focused. Daily employee performance feedback. Great place to shop.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDFebruary 11, 2019
Micro Center is a great place to shop. The management is focused on customer service and does have regular training for it's employees. The management uses positive reinforcement to direct employee behaviors.

Co workers are friendly and do tend to support each other.

Time of scheduled work days and hours change daily. Usually employees are not scheduled two days off in a row and even more rarely does that happen on Saturday and Sunday. This makes it difficult to maintain a normal family life and sleep patterns.

Significant time moving and adjusting inventory is required.

Micro Center's compensation plan is severely lacking. It has a $4 per hour pay rate plus 1 to 2% commission on sales.
Pros
Management uses positive feedback to adjust behaviors.
Cons
Irregular work hours, irregular days off, too much time being a stock clerk, low pay.
March 27, 2019

Thank you for the 3 star rating and the 5 star category rating for management. I would love to hear more about the cons you listed in your review. I can be reached at 614-850-3150.
Jennifer Ratliff

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Micro Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight