Micro Center Employee Reviews

Bad Management from Top down
Lead Technician (Tech Level III) (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 19, 2018
Home Office is tyrannical, un-supportive, and their bad attitude trickles down to every member of management. The company is run like a military operation with under-staffing and over-management at the core of their business philosophy.
Pros
Paid vacations
Cons
No 401K matching
I Respectfully Decline
BYO Associate (Former Employee) –  Yonkers, NYApril 19, 2018
The GM was one of the best managers I have ever had, but the store was ruining my love for computers. It was more about sales and convincing costumers to buy way more than they need in order to make a profit.
Poor Values and Discrimination
Store Stock Technician (Former Employee) –  Sharonville, OHApril 17, 2018
I was let go for "Immoral Conduct of Extra-Curricular Activities". I was discriminated for my orientation, and let go on that principle. I put in extra time because I was "begged" to. I missed a dinner reservation one year on Valentine's Day, that my wife had made, and lets just say that let to a separation. The Company and management only see one as expendable.

In sales, they give zero training. Ever.
Pros
Hour long lunches, good benefits
Cons
poor communication. Stuck in the '70s
Overall fun a good place to work
Cashier Part-Time (Current Employee) –  Duluth, GAApril 11, 2018
It's nice that they have flexibility with work hours great for students looking to work part-time. And you have opportunities to make more money because you get commission off plans you sell.
Pros
flexible hours, 1 hour breaks, opportunity to earn commison
Cons
pressure to sell
April 16, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We do appreciate hearing from our associates.
Thanks again

retail job
Knowledge Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Louis Park, MNApril 11, 2018
I started in sales. Fast paced, competitive and paid well.
When I moved to management they wanted me to work every weekend, work 10-12 hours per day. Even though they gave a fair amount of vacation days, it was hard to use them.
Company only has 24 stores nation wide and had to many managers making and changing the daily policies.
Pros
fast paced
Cons
poor management
April 16, 2018

We do appreciate your feedback. I would like to hear more details regarding your experience as a manager. I can be reached at the Home Office Human Resource department.

Management has issues with Integrity
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Saint Louis Park, MNApril 6, 2018
My overall experience with MicroCenter is that the management had a strong tendency to make promises with no intention of keeping them, lie to their workers when it suited them, and generally go back on their word/be inconsistent in practices. A frequent occurrence would be forcing employees to enforce rules to customers, only to have management come by to 'save the day'. Pay raises and back pay were lied about multiple times. In general, the environment left workers feeling like they couldn't trust management in any way, and many left.
April 9, 2018

We do appreciate your feedback. I'd like to talk with you about your experience. Our associates being promptly and fairly compensated is important to our organization. Feel free to give me a call if you would like to further discuss.

April 16, 2018

We appreciate your feedback and would like to hear more about your negative experience while employed at our St Louis Park location. Trust in our managers is very important to us so I would like to hear about the situation's details. Feel free to reach me at the Home Office Human Resource department.
Human Resource Manager

Typical Computer Store
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 22, 2018
There are certain times of the year when it is busy and at others relaxed. The customers are normally the same loyal customers that know what they are shopping for.
Pros
shift
Cons
temp position
April 9, 2018

Thank you for your feedback and the 4 star rating. We appreciated your commitment to our company and wish you the best in your future career path.

April 16, 2018

Glad to hear your overall employment at Micro Center as a seasonal was positive. We do appreciate the 4 star rating.
614-850-3150

Was a nice place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDMarch 21, 2018
Was fun working for the company. Managers were good which was a plus. Even though I worked the cash register and customer service lines I was still having fun.
April 9, 2018

We really appreciate your feedback and thank you for the 4 star rating especially the 5 stars for our management team. I know the Rockville team will appreciate that specific feedback. If you have any additional information you would like to share feel free to call our HR department.

Somewhat cut-throat
Dell Champion - Knowledge Advisor (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDMarch 8, 2018
- a typical day at work consists of making as many sales as possible while still hitting quality metrics
- I have learned a lot of computers and computer components as well as sales techniques to allow me meet customers needs while still bringing profits to the company
- I feel most sales people in my branch lack a proper sense of ethics, which is reinforced by a lack of accountability by management
- hardest part of the job is never knowing what your paycheck will look like
- the money
Pros
good commission structure
Cons
it's 90% commission, so it's hustle or starve
April 16, 2018

We appreciate the feedback but would like to understand the specifics of your situation in more detail. Please feel free to give me a call at our Home Office Human Resource department.
614-850-3150

Great work environment, Great Learning experience.
Technical Support / Knowledge Expert and Help Desk (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSFebruary 28, 2018
Great work environment, Great Learning experience. The work hours are great goes by fast. great people and excellent managers. overall i would recommend this job if you are interested in tech
April 9, 2018

Thank you for the 5 star rating. We really appreciate your posted feedback. Feel free to reach out to your management team or the home office HR department if you ever have any questions or concerns.

Great Workplace
Cashier/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 26, 2018
I really loved working here it was by far one of the greatest jobs i could have ever got everybody was so cool and it had a fantastic work environment if i could i would love to work here again.
April 9, 2018

Thank you so much for this fantastic review. We are certainly glad to hear that your experience in our Chicago store was a positive one.
614-850-3154

Loved working at Micro Center
Front End Leader (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 20, 2018
I started of as a CSR and then slowly climbed up. I had good help from my supervisors and the training you get really helps. The environment was a fast pace, which makes your day go by faster. At times it does get really busy and it can be overwhelming but you just have to keep working and show each customer a good last impression. Everything is good when your team works together. I loved working there.
Pros
Flexible hours, teamwork, management.
February 21, 2018

We really appreciate your feedback on what you enjoyed about your employment at Micro Center. If you'd like to share any more details on your experience, feel free to reach me directly at 614-850-3150.

Organized and Productive Work Environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Marietta, GAFebruary 19, 2018
The job itself is not too difficult if you have good communication skills. The managers are nice and forgiving if you make small mistakes once in a while. Co-workers are nice and helpful if you need any kind of assistance. Flexible work hours makes the job great
February 21, 2018

Thank you for the 5 star rating. Glad to hear that you feel the overall experience is outstanding in regards to work life balance, compensation, benefits, job security, company culture and management. We do appreciate your feedback. We strive to provide our associates the best work environment possible!
Corporate Recruiting Manager

Good first job, friendly environment and great management.
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Mayfield, OHFebruary 19, 2018
Great environment. Managers are very friendly and ensure a pleasant work environment. This job, due to the nature of interacting with many customers on a near constant basis, has definitely helped to improve my social skills. A typical day at work involved heading in, opening a till, standing at the register, an hours lunch, more work, and then participating in closing activities. The most enjoyable part of the job is interaction with fellow coworkers.
Pros
Opportunity to make additional money selling service plans, great management
April 16, 2018

Thank you for your 5 star rating and for your specific feedback. We are pleased to hear that you are satisfied in your role at Micro Center Mayfield Heights.
614-850-3150

Your co workers are amazing but it can be stressful
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Marietta, GAFebruary 15, 2018
It is a business based of daily sales so sometimes the pressure is put on the sales teams and not always in the best way, The management has a lot of flaws and no one wants to do better they just expect the staff to pick up their slack.
February 21, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. If you'd like to share any more details about your experience at our Marietta location, feel free to call the HR main line at 614-850-3150 and ask for me by name.
Corporate Recruiting Manager

Commission makes part time work impossible.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  OhioFebruary 12, 2018
When working a short closing shift, no commission can be made on such a low rate. Working a 5-11 shift, only 4 of those hours are available to make a commission that would put you above a minimum wage.Once it's closing time, you'd be making less than $5 an hour while you clean the store. Advancement out of the General Sales department is nearly impossible as a part-timer.
Pros
Discounts on merchandise
Cons
Poor commission rates
February 21, 2018

Thank you for your comments and feedback. I can understand your concerns about not earning commission during non-open hours. If you would like to discuss this with me personally, feel free to reach out.
Jennifer Ratliff
614-850-3154

April 16, 2018

We do appreciate your feedback and would like to better understand the situation at your specific location since our compensation/commission plans have a lot of factors involved. I am open to take your call if you would like to further discuss.
614-850-3150

If you have knowledge about computers, it's a really fun place to work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 11, 2018
I started here 2 weeks ago and it has been a great experience, management is very supportive as are the co-workers. Talking to all the like-minded customers really makes the job a lot of fun as well. The hardest part of the job as a cashier is selling the service plans, but even that is really easy to do once you perfect your pitch.
February 21, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad to hear that you feel we have strong leaders in the store where you are employed and it sounds like you have had a good training experience. We appreciate the 5 star rating. Please let us know if you ever have any questions for HR.

Micro Center
Major Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAFebruary 3, 2018
the company did not adjust to changing time - HR dept was closed for a on-line service - it was difficult to advance due to the were more jobs eliminated than were created - the company could not expand due to a poor choice in back end software which limited growth to 25 locations
Pros
Great in the begining!
Cons
After 20 years as they say, things change
February 5, 2018

Hello. We do appreciate your feedback about your 20 years with us and congratulations on that tenure! In regards to a couple of your comments, we did install an online applicant tracking and people/payroll management system that did bring our organization up to date in regards to HR technology and our current Regional HR Managers are always there to support our team members. If you did not feel that we supported you from an HR perspective from the regional HR role, please give me a call so we can hear your feedback in detail. Also, we are currently exploring new markets for future locations.
I can be reached at the home office main line of 614-850-3150.
Jennifer

Good company, restructuring its sales culture
Customer Sales and Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Tustin, CAJanuary 26, 2018
Microcenter is one of the last companies in the consumer electronics field that cares about its employees, customers and the company culture. It has awesome employee discounts and is perfect for employees going to school. A typical day includes assisting customers to find the right solutions for consumable electronics. Training and putting merchandise in its right place.
Pros
Good Discounts, Flexible Schedule, Comission Pay
Cons
Lack of career advancement, Manager restructuring, online web orders have wided out my comission sales! This is the reason most people are leaving.
April 16, 2018

Thank you for your feedback but we would like to hear more of the details. Please call our Home Office Human Resource office so we can better understand the situation at our Tustin location.

Fun Place
General Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJanuary 19, 2018
Working at microcenter is pretty fun and very competitive. Not only do you make commission sales but you also need to be knowledgeable on the products you are selling. It is a fun place to work for those looking to learn more about technology and also make money doing it too
January 22, 2018

We really do appreciate you as an employee and glad to hear that your experience has been positive.
Corporate Recruiting Manager

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Micro Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
1.5

1.7Personal Development

1.1Career Opportunities

1.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight