Micro Center

Micro Center insights

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Supportive environment
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • General feeling of work happiness

Productive and positive environment

I worked here for only a year or so but felt very welcomed and part of the family. Everyone worked together to make sure the environment was safe and clean for customers as well as the employees.

Pros

Holiday annual party for employees, worked together

Cons

Worker fired for something they did not do / long hours

Official response from Micro Center

November 13, 2018
Thank you for the strong overall rating of 4 stars. We really appreciate the specifics you provided. Feel free to call our HR main line and ask for Jennifer if you have any additional information or feedback to share.Thank youJennifer Corporate Recruiting Manager614-850-3154

Almost no raise

Worked for 5 years and recieved less than a dollar in total of raises. The higher ups see you as expendable and make you feel that way. They don't feel you deserve raises but expect you to dotl things that aren't even in your job description.

Pros

Free lunches and snacks, employee discounts

Cons

Pay, management

simple and straight foward

This was a job that was challenging and rewarding at the same time. The job gave me skills that I can carry over to other places in life or in my professional life.

Pros

employee discount

Good culture and coworkers

Good coworkers and culture, but management presses sometimes unrealistic expectations with nothing in returns. They say they are open to suggestions, but too much is being held back. They do care about your growth and will do what they can, but sometimes that is stunted by management who won't do what is needed to get things done.

Pros

Coworkers, culture

Cons

Unrealistic Expectations, management driven by numbers

simple and straight foward

Pros

employee discount

Share your experience

Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.

Organized and Structured

Great place to work part time or full time. Good benefits for full time workers, and students. Flexible hours and management who cares. Team orientated work.

Over worked underpaid ... Manager favorites ppl

Was there for 6 months. Awful. Customer service rep is glorified cashier. Commission was a joke. Despite being a computer store i didnt learn anything new. Employee moral was low. One manager was so bitter and mean towards any mistake. Very clique. Judgemental unforgiving managers.

Good but management was a pain

It was a good job for work security besides that nothing else management was horrible they always had favorites. The employees were nice besides the management pets.

Pros

Employee Discount

Cons

Not worthwhile for starting an IT career

I was told there was plenty of room for advancement and opportunities to increase my hourly wage through commission. The commission, on a good day, only brought me to around $12 an hour, and required far more effort than simply sticking to the base $10 an hour. The 'room for advancement' they mentioned was very misleading. The only advancements were as a sales associate, which was constantly full due to the company hiring new employees directly to the team, and the service team, which was also constantly full and they left out the fact that only full-time positions were available for the service team. The managers had very high expectations for the workers, far too high for the amount we were being paid.

Pros

Possibility for rewards/prizes for good performance

Cons

Unpredictable schedules, high customer volume, very low pay

The Company doesn't care anymore

Micro Center and Micro Electronics Incorporated will make it seem like this is a great place to work and a great place to start as far a technology goes. They use words like Family to rope you in. But after almost two years of working at Micro Center and three different positions, the company doesn't care about the employees. They only care about money. They are willing to work you to the bone. Sometimes working a FOUR person job for no more then minimum wage. They also don't care about COVID-19 Safety and won't close the store 99% of the time if there was a positive case, sometimes within 24 hours of an employees last day there before going on leave. Micro Center also doesn't provide any leave pay. They are there to make a quick buck.

Jobs at Micro Center

Customer Service Representative positions
See more jobs

Inefficient Job with Immature Management

The way the store is run does not work the best with the high volume it receives. I found myself often apologizing to customers for the length of the line alone.A good number of the cashiers slack off during their shifts, meaning if you work efficiently you’ll be pulling most of the weight. This being said, staff is very friendly and passionate about tech in one way or another, so don’t be surprised if you make a lot of friends while working there. Pay as a CSR is $11/hr with 5% commission when you sell protection plans, so if you have good interpersonal skills and hope to one day move onto the sales floor, this is an excellent place to start. Otherwise, the base pay can feel a little low for the amount of effort you’re expected to put in. Lastly, frontend management is friendly enough and they have good technical skills but they are a very tight-knit group that unfortunately behaves like high schoolers. If you are disliked for any petty reason, expect them to gossip about it. In addition to this, you won’t receive much praise but instead much, much, criticism, especially if you are deemed an outlier or social threat. This can be alienating and emotionally draining, and personally I believe it showcases poor leadership.

Pros

Great coworkers, good discounts, can be very rewarding if you’re good at sales

Cons

High volume with not enough staff to compensate, fair wages depend on good commission, poor leadership

Great place for a first time job

The workplace was well organized. Supervisors were kind and understanding, overall a good workplace experience. They took care of their workers and cared about their health.

CSR repetitive but interesting

Worked here as a CSR for awhile great for learning the retail side of the tech industry but very repetitive and you have to reach your quotas like name capture and plc

Terrible company management

Higher ups don't care about you. General manangers don't. Expect you to do jobs that aren't yours to begin with and won't give raises properly. Worked there for years with less than a dollar in total raise. Company has basically told us we are expendable and don't wanna waste money to give us a raise.

Pros

Easy work.

Cons

Management and pay

Paycheck is a bad loot box

Paycheck is a loot box sometimes your work 20 hours and get 600 that week other weeks you could do 60 hours and make 400 that week. Low commission rate. Pay is entirely up to customer luck of the draw and number of customers that come in.

Pros

Fun coworkers mostly

Cons

Annoying quotas and bad pay rates

mundane and under appreciated

It's quite a boring job. The management sucks during the day to day operations typically getting your breaks or lunches very late like 6+ hours which was unacceptable to me and no matter how much you bring up the issue to your managers or supervisors they don't care and make no changes. Beyond that, they will interview you say that they can give a schedule of 20 some odd hours per week then give you schedules to work 36 hours per week and take forever to change it. At my position working as a cashier known as a CSR, they don't show you any appreciation for how hard you work. They typically base your quality of work based off the number of service plans you sell (extended warranty) and try to reward you for it occasionally but then those rewards take weeks or months before they are given to you. Whereas the sales associates are praised each and every morning leaving cashiers bitter with envy for some recognition. Don't expect many discounts. The employees in my experience are for the most part easy to get along with of course with a few exceptions.

Pros

a few discounts

Cons

late breaks

Positive Work Place

Working at Micro Center is a learning experience. Whether you are a tech wiz or know nothing about computers, the management helps to make sure you are properly prepared to answer the simple questions and be able to come to them with any advanced questions.

Worked there for five years

It was a great part time job, good raises and perks. Fun people I was glad to know. Christmas time was crazy but that is retail in a nutshell. Great job for computer and video game geeks!

Pros

Employee discounts and nice coworkers

Cons

Not much room for advancement

I was fired for getting a Covid test

You will face retaliation from management, when asserting your right to be safe in this pandemic, you will be told your right to social distance does not matter, you cant protect yourself. I've been reprimanded for washing my hands after handling money and for trying to be a safe distance away from customers.

Pros

Employee discount

Cons

They don't exactly follow the safety guide lines

It was OK

I enjoyed my time here overall. It's not as bad compared to other retail stores, but be prepared for micromanagement, especially if you aren't meeting the superficial quotas required for their in-store replacement plans.

Good starting place to work retail.

Microcenter is mostly a routine retail job, meaning you help customers most of the day, whether it is helping them find an item, ringing them out for an item, or giving them advice/support about an experience or item they have purchased, your coworkers are very friendly, and most of them have been there for many years.

Official response from Micro Center

July 14, 2020
Thanks for this positive review about your experience at our Sharonville location. ThanksMicro Center HR team

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Micro Center. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

2.7
InHerSight Score
3.0Personal Development
2.3Career Opportunities
2.7Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Compare Micro Center with

Career recommendations for Customer Service Representative

Explore information on salaries, job satisfaction, skills and more

Popular locations for Customer Service Representative in US