Micro Center Pay & Benefits reviews

No words
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJune 7, 2019
No words...can describe how lazy the people are. I'm a 21 year old female who is forced to do 500 things at the same time when the customer should always be 1st priority. I was told switching form cashier to sales that my pay would be raised to $15 but thats a lie and I was $4 an hour and the 6% commission doesn't even save that form being the worst paycheck to live with.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Strict, inflexible, lazy
Sales
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAMay 30, 2019
Ok place to work. Hourly pay sucks ($4). Whenever you are scheduled to work in the morning (before store opens), expect to be on the clock doing work (such as unloading from the truck, stocking items, inventory counts, cleaning,...etc) for that hourly pay. Your pay check fluctuates. All in all, consider this job as a great place to gain experience and as a learning environment (you will definitely gain a lot of knowledge).
Pros
Get to learn a lot about technologies
Cons
hourly pay sucks
ok place work temporarily
Quality Control Analyst (Current Employee) –  OhioMay 30, 2019
work life balance are ok, management and job culture need major overhaul. hard to work when management make jobs unnecessarily hard to work with. advancement does not happen much, and job culture in which they allow the company to overlook aspects of employee to employee and management to employee behaviors are very unheard of and negative
benefits
Cons
see above
Comissioned
Commissioned BYOS (Former Employee) –  Saint Davids, PA 19087May 29, 2019
4 dollars an hour plus very small percent of sales 1-2.5 percent. Can end up making less the minimum wage. Have to put out truck and clean store. Required to be there 2-3 hours before open and after close making 4 dollars and hour with out possibility of commission. End up making 7-13 per hour. Pay varies largely week to week depending on customers.
Good job for a first job
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Duluth, GAMay 15, 2019
For a technology company don't expect to earn well. Especially technicians who are very very under-payed for the certifications they have. Like every other company, they want you to offer more to them than they can offer you, especially competitive pay.
Productive but not much fun to for.
Customer Service Representative/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Madison Hts, MIMay 14, 2019
First they only pay you minimum wage. and then give you as few hours as possible. The managers make it clear if they don't approve of you and your schedule reflects this.
Pros
You do get a employee discount, if your looking for a computer or printer.
Cons
Overall it's not worth working there.
eh
SYSTEMS LEAD (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYMay 14, 2019
Pass if you can. Lots of micro management and the headache and aggravation isn't worth the compensation. Unless you're hard up for work, you should definitely avoid the company.
Average place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAApril 24, 2019
The place was a good starter and as a retail experience I guess not bad. The salary was terrible and some management practices simply abusive. Like restocking the place after closed earning $4 an hour since in that time you are nor making commissions
Great Job to Have
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Hilliard, OHApril 18, 2019
Working at Micro Center was a great experience. While working phone customer service is usually stressful, working here was worth it. The management is pretty awesome to work with. During holidays and other busy sales periods the managers will often offer food or other perks.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Often felt rushed during high call volume, insurance was expensive
Great place overall, but it's retail
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSApril 8, 2019
It's a commission based workplace, so when it's slow, you don't make much money. Great place to work though. All the people there are super cool and management is great. The benefits are really good too.
Good place to work for students
employee (Current Employee) –  Distribution Center Columbus OhioMarch 30, 2019
I am still working for the company at the distribution center in Columbus Ohio .I've worked with them for a while now. The Company its self is great with benefits and discounts but the current supervisors always seem to have a negative attitude when the managers are not around. Fast pace good hours and most of the other employees are friendly. It would be nice if they paid a little more or kept up with the cost of living. Its hard to advance at least at the location I'm located. If you are a college student its a great place to work. As far as a long time career. Its a good company but the career you choose with them is the key to your success with them.Most of the management at my location has been there 20+ years so advancement will be very slow as will pay raises but they do the best they can in our current times. Hope this was helpful.
Pros
benefits & discounts
Cons
advancement & pay
Do more with less
Front End Manager (Former Employee) –  Yonkers, NYMarch 19, 2019
I was excited to work here in the beginning. Overtime it became clear that they are salesman selling the dream, but not delivering. More work continually gets added to your responsibilities, but the pay will stay the same and increases in pay are minimal... The raises are "performance based" which means they find something wrong so they don't have to give a good raise "There is always room for improvement." I learned alot from this place, but only because I ended up doing more work then my title entailed. They call it a learning experience but it's more like cheap labor.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Free pizza seems to replace wage increases
March 27, 2019

Thank you for your feedback on what you enjoyed about your work and also where we have some opportunities to improve both our associate and our customers’ experience. I’d like to talk to you about your experience with the management team. If you’d like to call our main HR line and ask for me by name we can discuss your experience further.
Thanks
614-850-3150

Micro Center System Sales Associate
SYSTEM SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAMarch 5, 2019
Very fun place to work at, you work at your own pace since majority of your pay is based on commission. Nice management team.
If you like technology and computers, this is a very good place to work for.
March 27, 2019

Thank you for your great 5 star review. Wish you the best in your future career.
Corporate Recruiting Manager

Good place to work, Work life balance can be hard
Retail Sales Manager/Sales Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fresh Meadows, NYFebruary 28, 2019
Great place to work, Sales are commission based and not for everyone. Work life balance is a little difficult when working 50+ hours a week. I wish pay was more in the New York area hard to have this as your only job. Would recommend working here to a close friend.
March 27, 2019

Thank you for the 5 star rating. Glad to hear that you feel the overall experience is outstanding in regards to work life balance, compensation, benefits, job security, company culture and management. We do appreciate your feedback. We strive to provide our associates the best work environment possible! Feel free to reach out to me to discuss the hours and compensation questions you may have.
Corporate Recruiting Manager

Customer Focused. Daily employee performance feedback. Great place to shop.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDFebruary 11, 2019
Micro Center is a great place to shop. The management is focused on customer service and does have regular training for it's employees. The management uses positive reinforcement to direct employee behaviors.

Co workers are friendly and do tend to support each other.

Time of scheduled work days and hours change daily. Usually employees are not scheduled two days off in a row and even more rarely does that happen on Saturday and Sunday. This makes it difficult to maintain a normal family life and sleep patterns.

Significant time moving and adjusting inventory is required.

Micro Center's compensation plan is severely lacking. It has a $4 per hour pay rate plus 1 to 2% commission on sales.
Pros
Management uses positive feedback to adjust behaviors.
Cons
Irregular work hours, irregular days off, too much time being a stock clerk, low pay.
March 27, 2019

Thank you for the 3 star rating and the 5 star category rating for management. I would love to hear more about the cons you listed in your review. I can be reached at 614-850-3150.
Jennifer Ratliff

Good Temporary Summer Job/ Part Time
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  St. Davids, PAJanuary 18, 2019
I would recommend Micro Center to people who need a part time job with flexible hours. Also, it is great for people in college who want a recurring summer job or a job near by their campus when they are at school. The customers can be somewhat hard to deal with but overall its a good place to work.
Pros
Hour Break, Flexible Hours v
January 21, 2019

Thank you for your 4 star rating. We certainly do appreciate your feedback and wish you best in your future career.
Thank you!
The Micro Center Hiring Team

If you are looking for retail the pay is great.
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 14, 2019
The pay is very good for a retail job. You have the possibility of making some serious doe, but i am not sure that out-weighs management constantly expecting you to work overtime when you are not paid for it as well as not respecting a work life balance.
Pros
Money
Cons
Managment, work/life balance
January 21, 2019

Thank you for your feedback. I would like to hear more about the specific details of your situation. Feel free to contact me directly at 614-850-3150.
Sincerely
Hr Manager
Micro Center

Good besides for salary
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 3, 2019
Job is great, environment is great, sales people tend to be very pushy and competitive due to commission only salary. Front end employees are paid very poorly.
Management is good but definitely has some issues as do all.
January 21, 2019

Thank you for your feedback. I would love to hear from you directly so we can discuss how our pay plan works and where the gaps may have been in your particular situation. We do offer spiffs and incentives for CSRs.
Feel free to give me a call at 614-850-3150.
Corporate Recruiting Manager

Fun prductive work enviornment with peers that have the same goals and intentions
Build Your Own Salesman (Current Employee) –  Saint Louis Park, MNDecember 6, 2018
Working at Microcenter has been a great Job to improve my overall performance in the workplace. I really enjoy that the management talks with me one on one and rewards me for my hard work. The Stall is great and management is very flexible and understanding to their worker's needs.
Pros
Hour Lunch break, relaxed work enviorment, freedom, rewards for hard work
Cons
various work hours, not consistant, low month periods for selling
January 21, 2019

Thank you for your post and the specific feedback. We do appreciate your 4 star rating. Always know that our HR department is here if you would like to share anything more.
Micro Center
HR Manager
614-850-3154

Good 'place for a job
Distribution Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 28, 2018
The job isn't hard, its a pretty relaxed work environment. I worked here for almost 5 years, they liked me and really value the people that work hard and care about the job. Reviews and raises can be hard to come by here. its supposed to be a yearly review but its not always the case. not much opportunity for career advancement. Manaement has been there forever and there is not much turnaround for supervisors.
Pros
great place to work and great managers
Cons
not enough supervision for some departments and employees can take advantage of that
November 13, 2018

Thank you for your feedback on what you enjoyed about your work and also where we have some opportunities to improve. I’d like to talk to you about your experience in more detail. If you’d like to call our main HR line and ask for me by name we can discuss your experience further.
Thanks
614-850-3150

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Micro Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight