Micro Focus Employee Reviews

Ok place to work
Senior Solutions Architect (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 10, 2018
New acquisitions and constant change in command made it tough to climb the ladder. Lack of direction from management but always plenty of work to do. For the most part, you feel like you're spinning your wheels from day to day.
it's ok
Site Reliability Engineer - Deployment (Current Employee) –  Pleasanton, CAJune 20, 2018
they bit a lot more than they could chew with the HPE merger, and upper management doesn't seem to know anything. The incident team in operations are being worked to death because engineering releases broken code.
It was a long time ago when it was Novell
Director, Documentation Services Group (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTJune 18, 2018
It has been many years since I worked at Novell, so I don't know the current culture or management. While at Novell, I had several promotions and great opportunities.
Pros
Good people to work with
Cons
Layoffs
Novell was a great place to work
Various Positions (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTJune 18, 2018
Worked for Novell, back in the day, highly innovative company, would not trade my time there for anything. Really enjoyed working with some of the brightest people in the industry. Can not speak to the individual companies it broke apart into.
Productive and fun workplace with a ping-pong table
Customer Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Provo, UTJune 5, 2018
Overall the company is ok. But management for my team sucks. They live overseas, they micro-manage like no one I've ever worked for, and they watch you like hawks waiting for you to make a mistake.
Pros
Lots of perks here and there
Cons
Management for my group sucks
It's a fair company to work with
Quality Assurance Engineer (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAJune 4, 2018
Overall it's fair company to work with. I have been worked with the company for about half year. Think the management has their goals and accomplishment for employees through the company.
It's alright
PROJECT MANAGER, Portfolio Planning & Operations (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 29, 2018
Came into Micro Focus from HPE. The best perk is the ability to work remotely. There is a lot of work with little financial incentive. I don't see much promoting from within.
Pros
remote working
Cons
benefits, salary, politics
Compensation is low for the level of work
Solution Architect (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXMay 24, 2018
Sales compensation is always wrong requires constant adjustments/freezes for 2-4 months at a time. People not receiving sales letters for 3-6 months at a time. Hiring freeze off and on / with a few empty promises to bring on new talent. Sales team are a bunch of college kids with little industry experience because they can pay them cheap. Sales protfolio stack is large and compensation is low for the knowledge required full comperhend the full stack.
Learn and Go
Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXMay 10, 2018
Good if you like to remain the same-

Favoritisms abound-
Select individuals

Sexism
Male dominated culture

Unsure of future of company

Major attrition - folks quit here like the plague
Benefits
Cons
Low morale
Great work environment
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTApril 9, 2018
I loved working at Novell. Lot's of great people and fun work environment. The only reason I left was because they changed the pay structure and I couldn't afford to work there anymore. I was also given a great opportunity to work and own my own Mortgage company. All in all it was an awesome experience at Novell!
Pros
great benefits, CEO and Presidents clubs were a blast
Cons
Changed the pay structure and couldn't afford to work there anymore
Failing
Sr. Solutions Architect (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDApril 9, 2018
Micro Focus is failing as a company. The sales are horrible and they are laying off there bench staff. The consulting staff is 1/4 of what it was and is still being laid off.
Pros
Checks do not bounce.
Cons
Lack of work, outsourcing almost all work that does come in.
Innovative and varied work environment
Sr. Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTMarch 6, 2018
Over a long career I got to work on many different projects in different capacities. I got to work as a quality assurance engineer for OS2, DHCP and NetWare for Unix. Got to be a developer with NetWare communications protocols.

Was able to work with customers directly. Was able to participate in conferences as a presenter.

The wide variety of opportunities was great
Pros
Wide variety of career opportunities. stock options. benefits
Cons
not many
Excellent team and fun place work
Quality Assurance Manager (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORMarch 1, 2018
I worked for Serena Sofware Inc. for 19 years prior to it being Acquired by Micro Focus Inc. It's a fun place to work; the kitchen is always fully stocked and People are very friendly. They are dedicated, passionate about the work they do and always strive for Quality.
Pros
The people and friendly atmosphere make it a fun place to work, plus the endless products to learn has a potential for career growth.
Cons
Can be stressful at times when working on multiple projects.
started out great ended with acquisition
Director of HR Global Operations (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 25, 2018
I don't know anything about Micro Focus as the company was Novell when I worked for it and it was a great company at the time. It provided great growth opportunities
Pros
great culture
Cons
handled the acquistion and the layoff poorly
Not Applicable
Manager (Current Employee) –  TeleworkerFebruary 21, 2018
Accelerated delivery expected. Hierarchical management structure adhered to. Male dominated. Long hours and weekends. Unrealistic goals. High turnover.
Educational, financially rewarding
FIELD SALES CHAMPION-PRODUCT & PROGRAM SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTJanuary 15, 2018
When I joined the company in 1988 they were in hyper growth mode and were competing throughout high tech to retain employees. As a result the company invested much in training and education, benefits and work culture. The work was plentiful and allowed for career development. The most difficult part of the job came with forced movement due to mergers and acquisitions which led to problems of being transferred in to new areas, poor managers and dysfunctional cultures. Adjustment was key, embracing change meant survival but it became more and more difficult to thrive and feel valued.
Pros
training and development, benefits, good pay and paid time off
Cons
dysfunctional management culture that developed as the company grew through mergers and aquisitions
Productive and fun place to work
Senior Technical Support Engineer (Former Employee) –  McLean, VADecember 12, 2017
Had the opportunity to work remotely which was great and challenging. Support team was great and very easy to work with and collaborate with each other.
FInancial pressure and lack of long term plans
Data Governance Process & Ops Manager (Former Employee) –  Rocklin, CADecember 7, 2017
With the acquisition of the SW branch of HPE, Micro Focus started an important transformation project. The consequences are huge for the employees, as a quick ROI is expected. It generates a lot of pressure in achieving results, while cuting costs. Consequently, it makes people work very long hour to try and meet their deadlines, with a small rewarding (raise, bonus, and even recognition) process. The coming 2 years will be very demanding, then hopefully more stability and less pressure should show up
A Great Culture
Intern - QA Software Engineer, Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Provo, UTDecember 4, 2017
Working at Micro Focus is very relaxed. Everyone is friendly and willing to help interns work through any challenges they may have. The internship is open-ended and they are very flexible around a student's school schedule.
Pros
Ping-pong, free sodas and snacks
Cons
Limited full-time opportunities available, typically only hire students 1 semester from graduation
Micro Focus was okay, until HPE took over the management reins
Information Developer (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTNovember 16, 2017
Micro Focus was okay to work for. I didn't like the fact that the writers had no contact with the customers. We wrote in a void. We also performed User experience design without any input from customers,
Pros
Worked from home 1 day per week
Cons
HPE is now running Micro Focus. They are laying off employees world-wide.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Micro Focus. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.0Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss