MICROS Retail Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Product Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Solon, OHMarch 1, 2017
The typical day on the job was busy because I handled 50- 75 resolution calls. I learned a lot about retail hardware and software issues. Management had a micro-management issue.
Waste of time
Help Desk Technician (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMarch 9, 2016
I worked at MicrosRetail/Oracle for 10 Months. There is no room for advancement because you are a tempt this company does no direct hiring there are people that have been waiting between 2-4 years just to be hired and not trained properly so have no opportunity to advance. Training is a ton load of paper a brief explanation and brief shadowing. I would recommend this place to someone that just wants to work if you care about your career in the IT field keep looking because your stuck and the level 2 and CS positions are a joke there is very very minimal It work this is a customer service job and that is it
Relatively Satisfied
Director, Staging and Depot Services (promotion) (Former Employee) –  Solon, OHFebruary 29, 2016
MICROS acquired Datavantage Corp 2007. Transitioned company to a corporate level. Businesses and services remained relatively the same. Initiated corporate level HR and employee services and conditions.
Level 1 Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Solon, OHFebruary 24, 2014
Typical day at work: I would handle about 50-60 calls a day
Learned: How to listen to customers issues
Management: no comment
Co-workers: Young temporary people only wanted to talk and was not concerned about the customers calling in.
Hardest part: I felt good at the end of the day, but to see out of 25 employees on duty. Myself and 2 others had the highest calls and closed 87% of then without escalating to a Level2
Dynamic environment with an established industry leader
Team member (Former Employee) –  Solon, OHJanuary 20, 2014
The position of the company is solid in the retail technology sector.

Retail corporate customers consistently expressed frustration and disappointment with Micros' executives over-promising and under-delivering. As a result, teams were consistently driven to deliver quickly, often sacrificing quality.

Every company has its challenges, just know that this one involves a lot of client "crisis" situations involving overtime and stressful meetings -- which could have been prevented if more time/budget were slated for proper SDLC processes and QA in a distributed environment.
Pros
global firm, brand name clients, fun colleagues
Not a great company to work for...
Call Center (Current Employee) –  Solon, OHJanuary 11, 2014
I've been at this job for a while now. I came in right after the company changed over. I caught on quick to the products we service, exceptionally quick. I applied for higher positions about 4 times in 3 years, and each time I am shot down. Why? Because of unfair, unrealistic, non sensual, unachievable stats. There is no quotas, however, you must maintain a certain level of performance. We are a 24/7/365 call center with clients all around the world. Obviously we have all around shifts, primarily 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. First shift workers have THE HARDEST job. We take east coast calls related to opening in the morning. At 9am calls come in non stop for about 2 hours straight. Then west coast starts calling around 11am, again non stop for about 2 hours. We are slammed. So we have to escalate most of out issues to a higher level. We are dinged for escalating too many calls compared to one call resolves. How is that fair when all of the morning calls have to be escalated for a fix or follow up call? 2nd shift starts when all the morning calls are resolved. They get a fraction of the amount of calls morning get, but we are all graded on the same rubric and guidelines. Really? So of course a afternoon employee will have far better stats than a morning employee. That's why everyone that is promoted works either 2nd or 3rd shift. On top of the regular high call volume, they can manipulate the system to make 1 person take specific calls over another person. For example, employee 1 is set up at first priority for clients A-X and employee 2 is setup at last priority for clients A, B, and  more... C only. That's pretty much how its ran. The better troubleshooters take a hell of a lot more calls than the people that are not as good. So if client W has a corporate wide issue affecting all the stores, employee 1 will take all the calls and employee 2 may or may not even get a call - its not his client. That is not fair and there is no way to justify that. That's another way your stats will be messed up, and employee 2 has perfect stats. This place has no organization. The management half does their jobs. The turnover rate - huh! Its like a revolving door in here. You can count the employees on 1 hand that have over 5 years here. Its clear that if you are not in the "in crowd" you do not get anything out of this company. Raises are like $.10 - $.50 a year, despite how hard you work. They just implemented a new annual review. There are ones like "takes time to advance knowledge." How on this God green Earth can you grade me on something that you have absolutely no idea of. You do not sit at my desk watching me re-read old tickets or ask questions about certain thing just for general knowledge. Thats BS, this company is BS, and the only reason I am here is for my paycheck. Thats it. No one has a long career at this company!  less
Pros
Cafeteria has free coffee (cheap) and tea, plenty of vending machines (expensive), friendly co workers that can relate to you, able to accrue vacation quickly
Cons
no heat (AC blows all the time, despite below freezing temps outside), extremely high call volume (for some employees) all the time, no opportunity for advance (for some employees), no organization, a lot of agitated, overworked upper level support employees
Steady work but no real room for advancement
Specialist (Current Employee) –  Westborough, MAJuly 28, 2013
Steady work
No room for advancement
Minimal annual pay increases
Nice place to work at and helps train when requested.
Product Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Solon, OHApril 8, 2013
A typical day for me is arrival at work, log in to my phone and computer, then start working on the issues escalated to me and my peers by the Level 1 staff.
As a Level 2, it is my job to work on issues that the Level 1 staff were unable to resolve or require remote connection to the systems at the stores.
While a computer background is a plus, the software supported is a unique product of Micros-Retail and requires full training that cannot be gained in school.
My co-workers are all nice people. There is nobody there that I would want to avoid. Even the personalities in management are easy to get along with.
The current philosophy of management is moving away from a "team specialized per product" mentality to the current direction of "everyone knows everything" mentality. This is not limited to the help desk but also into implimentation, tech services, and quality control. We support many different procducts with unique setups and troubleshooting rules to each individual company. Because of this it can be a challenge to learn the setups and individual rules to companies that were not suppored before, and for new hires it can be a bit overwhelming.
The best part of my job is solving a difficult issue and the feeling that you overcame the obstacle and were able to get the store back up and running.
Pros
healthcare is good, break room has 3 refrigerators, 4 microwaves, and free coffee, tea, and hot cocoa.
Cons
promotion salary percentage is locked, vacation time builds slowly over 10 years
Typical Day At Work
Support Center Analyst (Current Employee) –  Weehawken, NJApril 2, 2013
A typical day at work includes answering telephones and emails. One of the most enjoyable parts of my job is solving a customers problem and/or helping them reach the person/department that can do that. Many times I have dealt with stressed customers and helping them find a resolution was one of the most rewarding moments at my job.
Point of Sale Systems
Level 1 Technician (Former Employee) –  Solon, OHMarch 5, 2013
Call center atmosphere. Answered multiple line system. Helped callers with software and hardware problems with point of sale systems.
No culture and very little concern for the employees of the companies they buy out.
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 30, 2012
Worst organization to work for if you are in the administrative field.
Cons
no bonuses, office moral sucks
Review
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Solon, OHJune 4, 2012
This was a seasonal job for the christmas season and they said they were going to hire us in after but no one was hired.
A very calm quite environment.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Solon, OHMay 17, 2012
A typical work day involved answering distress calls from retailers concerning their retail systems and troubleshooting the issues.
I learned how the retail systems worked. Management was available for support throughout the workday.
My co-workers were very knowledgeable and helpful.
The hardest part of the job was getting use to working 2nd shift.
The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to help people in a time of crisis.
Pros
good pay.
Cons
only seasonal.
You will never find Managers like micros.
Associate Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHFebruary 13, 2012
Co workes are really nice and easy going, helpful
Love working here