Microsemi Employee Reviews

Extremely confusing
Confidential (Current Employee) –  Bend, OROctober 3, 2018
It seems there are too many chiefs and not enough Indians as the old saying goes. There are many conflicting accounts of rules and regulations. The environment is very touchy and the gossip, tattling and back biting is similar to that experienced in middle school. Most employees are literally spending their time watching and waiting for mistakes to run to the boss about. Horribly led as the behavior continues and is tolerated. "Rules" change daily and per daily on-duty staff.
Pros
Clocking out
Cons
Terribly led with horrendous organization and structure.
average
Electromechanical Assembly Technician (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COAugust 20, 2018
I learned a lot working here and wished the job would have lasted longer. The manager that hired me was very helpful as were some of the other employees. The manager that hired me retired and shortly afterward I was let go - what else is new?
Pros
helpful co workers
Cons
talking behind your back
You make your own happiness inside a company
Manager, Manufacturing and Engineering (Current Employee) –  LagunaJuly 26, 2018
Cultures play a lot when managing within a company. it is a US owned company but culture and practicality does not boil down to the location.

Benefits are good though; Personal life sometimes get compromised since you are expected to be on top of all situations 24/7 - understandable, but not my style

Individual gets too much flexibility that the focus gets thinned out and you end up with aces but without specialty
Pros
Lean management, Good opportunity to learn since the company is continuously developing and moving products
Cons
Work-Life balance is not so good
Awesome work place.
Class A Assembler (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 11, 2018
Great place to work, very relax and focused. Provided the right tool for the right job which was very important. Management was great. Great feeling of family as we completed our goals and set out to take on greater task.
Pros
Family work place
Cons
I had to leave to soon
Company shutting down due to relevancy in the Industry
Die Prep Test, Fab Operator (Current Employee) –  Bend, ORJune 11, 2018
Company is operating with minimal staff to get to end before shutting down, current employees will be scrutinized, written up for small infractions and fired a little at a time, so new company that bought out old company won't have to pay out promised severances.
Pros
Reverence pay out if employees make it to the end
Cons
no job security
Corporate structure
GOVERNMENT PROGRAM MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Beverly, MAMay 12, 2018
Microsemi is a very structured organization, which may or may not meet the culture established at the companies it acquires. All in all not a bad place to work.
Decent but rather boring at times
Intern (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAJanuary 21, 2018
The position I fulfilled required large amounts of time sorting numerous stacks of paperwork that have long past their years. If one were to take on this job, be warned of a very menial task over a long period of time without much change to scenery or social interaction. The individuals who are present there offer a very nice change during break hours through conversation.
Pros
Bagels every Friday
Cons
Short breaks, one every 2-3 hours for 15-30 minutes
dynamic venture capital rather than a technical company
Chief System Architect/Product Line Manager (Current Employee) –  Aliso Viejo, CANovember 28, 2017
dynamic work environment, teammates all over the world, the excellent jobs of the operation growth on the acquisitions, very challenge to integrate all resources together, no much organic growth
Test Operator (Former Employee) –  Garden Grove, CA 92841October 12, 2017
Friend workplace, nice lunch room where everyone could have a cup of coffee before work. The company give the employees training every year. Several cultures in the company, the employees can learn or share to co-worker
I worked at the Foldom Ca plant for just over a year as an RF Test technician.
RF Test Technician (Former Employee) –  Folsom, CAJanuary 26, 2017
Low wages and a complete misrepresentation of what my job responsibilities would entail. I worked out of town 100 + miles for 10 weeks, because I was in training. Then as a single parent who had an agreement to work day shift , was transferred to night shift. On thier behalf,they did reemburse me for rental car fees, and child care cost. I was laid off as a result of having to attend to my 10 year old son on several occations. This is why I accepted the offer of employment though. To work dayshifit.
I really liked my co-workers. Managment support was lacking. Overall they had nice working enviroments, and very good security. And they are very friendly when laying one off. Thank God L3 was next door.
Pros
Good peers
Cons
Poor management.
Clean place to work
Engineering Technician - Aerospace (Former Employee) –  Garden Grove, CADecember 10, 2016
1) Typical day at work

2) I learned More ABOUT Troubleshooting in Switching Power Supply : 6000w FOR Boing.

3) Good Co-workers

4) Precision JOB

5) SEE HOW WORK!!!
Pros
start Early
ok place to work
Maintenace Technician (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 7, 2016
I did like the fellow workers there but the working environment was very dirty and noisy at times. very nice HR staff helped me in many ways
Tester (Former Employee) –  Watertown, MANovember 1, 2016
Worked with employees in a teamwork environment on a day to day basis. Although the work was the same throughout, the days were enjoyable.
Decent Company
Customer Suppport (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 30, 2016
My experience here is is pretty good management is very nice the only bad thing here is there are no raises and severely understaffed my co workers are a great team
Great job security, until laid off.
Senior Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Beverly, MAJune 3, 2016
A privilege to work with and build long term relationships some of the smartest people on the planet.

I loved the work that I did and the recognition I enjoyed.

Management changed many times. Finally did me in.
Pros
Free Starbucks grind to brew coffee!
Cons
Dreadful vending machines.
Beautiful office loated in Aliso Viejo
Confidential (Current Employee) –  Aliso Viejo, CAApril 15, 2016
Good company with good benefits and benefit options. Work life balance is up to you (you need to set boundaries). Employees are nice, long term, and hard working. Managers are fair, bad ones never last. Systems are up to date and the company is always making changes for the better. Always expanding.
Pros
Growth opportunity if you are motivated
Cons
Behind on 401(k) match, but at least they have a match
A total chaos with a crazy failed management
engineer (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 8, 2016
This company is the worst place you can work for. People talk behind each other backs to cover their own behind. The management has hired a bunch of dysfunctional directors that are totally useless. They are very immature for their level of management. It really makes you wonder how they've possessed those titles. Some of these directors have been there for many years, and they're protected by the upper management, so it doesn't matter how badly they run the group, they won't be touched. You will also see some directors with no prior experience (Microsemi is their first company), and they don't know how to behave as a director. They're very unprofessional, and don't follow any rules, company etiquette, or policies, and it's only a matter of time before they get slapped with a lawsuit.
The level of expectation is completely ridiculous. You work 12 hours a day, and they're still complaining. There are no benefits for engineers in this company. Engineers get no stock options or RSUs, and there are no ESPP in this company. These benefits are available only to directors and above; basically to the useless part of the company. Every year engineers get 20 hours of pay as a bonus, yes 20 hours. That's not a typo.
Microsemi acquires different companies, but doesn't know how to integrate them, and top management looks like a deer in headlights. All they do is misuse their power, and waste company's money at a fast rate.
Pros
You get the chance to work 12 hours/day
Cons
Lousy health care plan, no incentives, no clear direction, nothing....
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, MADecember 31, 2015
I worked with my team and everyday we looked for a job and completed it. If there was a hot job, we needed to do it first as a priority.
Be very Careful
NA (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaAugust 24, 2015
If you are not part of the "click" and like to be on the outside and never feel totally welcome, then this may be the right place for you.

Just remember, that you this company can be very hostel and talk out of both sides of their mouth.

Perception is that top management uses company funds as their own piggy bank and decisions are made for political reasons.

I would not want to work there.
Review
MBA Consultant (Former Employee) –  Aliso Viejo, CAAugust 10, 2015
Not at all a good company to work for.
People are in closed door environment and are not accessible.

Never felt that there could be a career at this company.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Microsemi. Our community is ready to answer.