Microsoft Employee Reviews

Found 3,544 reviews matching the search See all 5,388 reviews
Best company I have ever worked for
Director (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WANovember 1, 2018
If Microsoft offers you a job, take it and don't look back. Just like any corporation, it has its flaws, but they are minor and MS seriously tries to fix them when you point them out. The technology is always challenging (and interesting) and sometimes they get management wrong, but still, it was a great place to work. What the company gets right FAR outweighs what it gets wrong.
Pros
GREAT benefits, interesting & smart people, fun loving culture, started as an individual contributor and worked my way up through the ranks to director.
Cons
Worked long hours but work life balance improved as the years went by, sometimes a lousy manager was allowed to take the mantle but not often.
No advancement / all politics
Product Advisor (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsOctober 19, 2018
After working for Microsoft for awhile I have noticed how much politics position you in the company. I have no free time and I can never take days off unless they are sent 3 weeks to 1 month in advance. Management sits there all day and lets the product advisors do all the work. They also treat all of the product advisors like children. I don't recommend anyone working for this company. They have good benefits but that is pretty much it. I've seen about 20 employees come and go since the time Ive been here. What does that tell you? Also, the pay for product advisors is complete trash. They overpay the managers who just sit there and boss people around all day while they text and use their computers all day. If you are unliked in this company and don't suck up to management you will never move up. I see people work their butts off like myself every day and never get recognized but if you try to act cool like the managers do and just hang out with them all day, you may one day get a 25 cent raise.
benefits
Cons
Everything besides the benefits
I have loved every second of working for Microsoft
Service Advisor | Help Desk Support Technician (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 8, 2018
I have never learned and grown so much as I have with my time with Microsoft. The pay and benefits are fantastic, and there are many resources to utilize to help further your career internally or externally. Culture is important to Microsoft, and I like that. I have enjoyed working with a diverse group of individuals. I feel like I have a voice, as large as the company is, which I think really speaks to just how much it values its employees.
Pros
Great Compensation. Great Culture. Very rewarding.
Cons
New content and directives come in waves and quickly. It is a challenge to manage at times.
Your job depends on your manager. Period!
SENIOR SUPPORT ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXOctober 25, 2018
As the title says...
You have a bad manager you can pretty much kiss your career goodbye!

After 9 years of Microsoft i was forced out in less than a year because my manager and I couldn’t get along. He basically gave me no option other than to leave or get fired...
No work life balance. I was working 80+ a week because i was constantly told I’m underperforming. Although my utilization and scorecard showed different. When I approached HR i was told to just let it be.
Great cultural mindset some of these Indian managers have.

A year later he fas fired because he kept pushing people out simply to have good numbers.
Benefits
Cons
Work-life balance, pay, direct manager
Poor Management and Co-Workers trying to make you look bad
Service Engineer 2 (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAOctober 9, 2018
In seventeen years I had 17 managers. I constantly had to fight off co-workers that tried to either take my job from me or get our manager to view me as less then they were.
Twice I was on teams that were dynamic and worked well, but most of the time I felt my job threatened everyday. When I worked all the time I was told I work to much, when I worked less I was told I need to work harder. Work life balance does not exist at Microsoft
Pros
Good Benefits, lots opertunity to learn new skills
Cons
Bad review process, management does not manage
Good compensation, stressful work environment, constant reorgs
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAOctober 23, 2018
Microsoft overall is a great employer from a benefits and compensation perspective. The work culture is not as modern as you would expect and the management culture is still old school. Having an impact can be difficult given that it is so heavily matrixed, it really depends on the team and individual management. Getting promotions can be very difficult.
Pros
remote work
Cons
amount of reorgs
Contractor at Microsoft
EMC Test Engineer/Technician (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WADecember 21, 2018
Work work work. Thats why you are there as a contractor. If you work hard they will let you work harder. However if you make signifigant contributions you will get a raise. Took very signifigant work to get a good raise.
Pros
Worked fairly autonomously
Cons
Culture does not respect contractors. Pay is half what equivalent MS worker gets.
You can pick your nose, but not your boss
Technical Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXJanuary 22, 2019
The company is wonderful to work for in terms of taking care of their employees. There are lots of benefits and work flexibility. It really does try to look out for employees and is modern in terms of benefits and care.

However, the chances for advancement are slim depending on your situation. You really need to work the networking angle to find a position and move away from whatever group you're in if you want to advance your career. If you have a bad manager who doesn't like you or has no interest in helping you they can quickly torpedo your career with one bad review (which puts you on "probation"). So there are a lot of political traps and obstacles to overcome.
Great place to work but no opportunities to grow
Product Advisor (Former Employee) –  Paramus, NJSeptember 6, 2018
My experience working for Microsoft was that it has all of the benefits of having a great job. The management was excellent, the staff was excellent, the benefits was excellent, the information learned was outstanding, and the experience is one of kind. However, the opportunity to grow and become something more than a product advisor seemed bleak. Throughout my 2 years as a product advisor, I only witness approximately 4 people grow from their position as product advisor with a staff of 45 individuals. For me, that shows that the company was not willing to lose product advisors for other opportunities, even within the company. Otherwise, great place to work if you have plans to remain in one position with little room to move up. For many, that may not be an issue. For me, that was the deal breaker.
Benefits
Cons
No room to grow
Use to be a very fun place to work, but recently it's changed so much it wasn't fun anymore.
Support Engineer/ IT Admin (Former Employee) –  Las Colinas, TXJanuary 21, 2019
There was a time at Microsoft where one received excellent and extensive training, now management expects you to do this on your own using 3rd party training sites after working 9-11 hours a day. There's always been a lot of change at Microsoft but the change recently has gotten so extreme that no one can keep up and it creates organizational confusion. I had 10 different managers in an eight year period. Sadly, of the 10 there were only about 2-3 that I liked and respected. One of the 10 managers was an absolute arrogant tyrant that no one liked. Microsoft loves reorgs....
Pros
Compensation and benefits
Cons
STRESS- Poor Corporate Management
Good company to work for, stay away from retail.
Consumer services advisor (Former Employee) –  Mission Viejo, CAJune 8, 2018
Working at Microsoft is somewhat an honor. That being said I would say to stay strictly away from the retail side. Most of the managers in that division come from other retailers and don’t really share much of the culture the company strives for, this is due to a lack of education and compassion. - Compensation isn’t ideal unless you are just starting out in the tech industry, they pay less than ideal wage to their service advisors ($33k - $45k/yr.) whereas a similar position in corporate is anywhere between $50k - $80k/yr. If you still want to work for Microsoft after reading this, please focus in getting a job at the Redmond or Bellevue Campuses. STAY AWAY FROM RETAIL.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Management needs to be fired and replaced with those who worked in corporate.
Dont do Microsoft retail if you plan on going to corporate
Inventory Control Expert (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WASeptember 2, 2018
Microsoft has great benefits but that's where the pros end. Management and movement into higher positions from your starting point is extremely political. Does not matter how good you are only how much you can kiss up to store managers. No work life balance as it is retail. They say its "one Microsoft" but corporate gets a lot more stay fit benefits as well as they look down on retail employees so your chance of moving into corporate are zero to none.
Great work community - felt like a family/friends group
SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDNovember 24, 2018
Senior leadership was great about cultivating a culture that aligned with the companies values. The work environment felt like a large family that took care of each other. Middle management didn’t always align their actions with senior leaderships vision and direction.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Middle management was not well selected
Great Company, but local management is often lacking.
Services Executive, Microsoft Consulting Services (Former Employee) –  Reston, VAJuly 10, 2018
Unrealistic expectations for new hire sales, especially in limited opportunity area. First Line leadership not well prepared for new role. Lack of local management focus on such things as badging for appropriate customer visits, no follow through on mentoring, complete lack of respect from first line manager toward skilled and talented personnel. Attempting to raise awareness in leadership was to no avail, work environment was toxic. Best thing I ever did was leave.
Pros
Good resources, if you can find them. Sometimes difficult because you don't know what to ask for.
Cons
People in first line management not always ready for that role.
Great Place to work even at the retail level.
Product Advisor (Former Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAJune 29, 2018
When a company has a good culture, it doesn't matter the level, the employees will follow. I have never been sad to leave a retail job until I started working for the Microsoft stores. They provide all types of training from basic software to certificate training to their employees. Management is extremely supportive and will do all they can for you to succeed and reach your goals. Free drinks and snacks and on occasion we had free lunches. Great benefits which included free health care. All of this for a part time position. The only thing I would mention is that there is a divide from retail to corporate. I wish they could offer more opportunities or at least a 'bridge' for those who want to move up from retail to the corporate level.
Pros
Free food and drinks, great benefits, tuition reimbursement
Cons
Retail/Corporate divide
Sales Representative
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  United StatesOctober 14, 2018
A role that provides an amazing salary/benefits with unattainable expectations. The tools are antiquated and manual, forecast calls with Directors/ Account Executives/Management on a bi-weekly/weekly basis that can take up half of your day and there is no room for a work/life balance.
Pros
salary, benefits, intelligent workforce
Cons
no work/life balance/ antiquated tools/ very political
Great company, bad store
PRODUCT ADVISOR (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYAugust 27, 2018
Microsoft offers some amazing benefits and advancement for opportunity - IF you know the right people. Unfortunately, my store had a racial, colorism issue, and you were unable to grow or move up in the store or farther, if you were black. Mostly everyone who worked there knew management from their previous roles at a close Best Buy location, and they were all promoted and have moved on to different locations and cities. None of the people of color got those same opportunities.
It's a mixed workplace with great benefits but with political overtones
Senior Consultant (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WADecember 25, 2018
I worked during previous CEO times. At that time, Microsoft was a political machinery where promos depended on who you know and not what you know. 100% political spin and little used to get done.

I am very agile and it doesn't fit my style, so I left Microsoft for better opportunity. I hear better things now but it will take a while to change those experiences unless I somehow experience a better environment as a consultant if I get an opportunity to work there again!
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Less agility and more political overhead
Big goals and big wins
Service Advisor/Assistant Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VA and Columbia, MDJune 17, 2018
The retail division of Microsoft has become more tightly knitted to the corporate side over the years, and as such the work-life balance has gotten better. The dedication to inclusivity is also a high priority at Microsoft. Developing a culture of growth mindset is also a huge focus for the company, and is something that is being worked on from top to bottom.

Microsoft takes care of its people. In retail, I could not have asked for better salary, benefits, and time off. The attitude towards volunteerism and charitable giving was also amazing. The biggest gripe I had was their policy of "if the mall's open, we're open", which meant working on Thanksgiving.
Pros
Free drinks, long breaks, amazing healthcare, great 401(k), Espp, family leave (maternity and paternity) benefits
Cons
Lack of mobility from retail to corporate, working on holidays
Culture of back-stabbing and sycophants
Project Manager/Lead Designer (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAJune 20, 2018
Teamwork is just a word thrown around to make newbies feel comfortable. However, it doesn't take anyone long to realize that the only way to succeed at MS is to back-stab your fellow employees (thanks to stack-ranking culture) and become a sycophant to management. Every department is in competition with each other, to the point that inter-departmental cooperation is non-existent. Butts-in-seats was more important than work actually done. It's no wonder every product MS pinches out is late and uninspired.

Bottom line - if you're a good BSer, suck-up, and don't mind stepping on your fellow coworkers to get ahead, then MS is for you!
Pros
Great pay and ok benefits
Cons
Stack-ranking and pretty much everything else.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Microsoft. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2
52.4K
41.9K

Women's ratings

3.6Fairygodboss Score

56%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

88%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss