Microsoft Employee Reviews

Amazing Company!
Enterprise & Partner Group Assistant (Former Employee) –  Guaynabo, PRSeptember 22, 2018
Truly value their employees. Very respectful. Believe in career advancement. Amazing people. Needless to say they are constantly looking to make work more productive and efficiently.
Workplace culture
Group Manager (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 22, 2018
Too many layoffs where you almost expect it every quarter. Not a healthy culture for people to have to live through. It can really impact managers if they are consistently having to layoff team members.
Working at Microsoft
SR CONSULTANT, US CONSULTING FOR IT OPERATIONS (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 21, 2018
One of the very best employment experiences I ever had. Microsoft gave me almost every opportunity to excel and I wasn't bashful about taking them on. If you think you can thrive in one of the most intelligent, busy, and fast-paced companies on Earth, this may be the place for you.
Some of the world's most exciting technology solving some of the world's most boring problems
Applied Scientist (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WASeptember 20, 2018
I don't want to seem ungrateful. I love Microsoft as a company, I support its mission, and I'm excited about the products it puts out.

But working on the inside, I spent years trying to catch up to Google and Amazon (Cortana is a bona fide sci-fi technology but first mover advantage is a real thing, and it's hard to train ML models when all of the user data is being logged by your competitors who beat you to the punch), or trying to solve the mystery of helping customers to know whether or not they should update to the latest version of Office. (It's been around forever; everyone knows whether they need it or not.)

Am I bitter? I'm sure it sounds that way. But really I just feel bored. I'd love to continue working with Microsoft products and services. And there are teams in the company that are building very cool stuff. But most people here are solving stale problems.

Those benefits, though. They make it tough to leave.
Pros
great all-around benefits
Cons
not enough scrappiness to satisfy risk-inclined innovators
Watch your back, and hope your boss is popular and likes you
Principal Architect (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WASeptember 20, 2018
The work at MSFT is nearly always with current technology and interesting. One downside is that MSFT does not use software that wasn't produced at and by the company - so when you leave, you don't have experiences that translate well to other companies.

The most common experience at MSFT, and I worked many jobs over more than 20 years, is that your career is not yours to guide. If you have a manager that is well supported by their manager, and this needs to go up several levels of management, and if your manager _likes_ you (has nothing to do with your work), you'll be well taken care of.

But, if you are not in the lucky 1%, your work will have nothing to do with your career advancement. The "rules" are pretty extreme - HR has put down a web of policies that allow any manager to find flaw with something you did or said, or someone else complains about you (backstabbing is a sport), then the manager will give you mediocre review and provide a stock answer "Your HOW is what you need to improve".

Microsoft has gone from being able to have ideas compete with each other and enabling employees to do their best work (circa 2005), to a petty, politically correct, policy bound bloated haven for incompetent managers.

Workplace culture - Toxic. Teams that intersect in their work don't cooperate with each other. Active management sabotage is routine, and whole teams get walked out the door if your CVP goes out of favor.

Average workforce age is shrinking as Microsoft actively culls older workers. Once you hit 55, they offer you a pretty benefit called 55/15. Means
  more... if you are older than 55 and have worked more than 15 years, you can keep your annual stock even after you leave. What they don't tell you is after you leave, to get that stock, you have to sign a document that says you will not sue them for age discrimination. At the current stock price, it often matters.

I cannot recommend Microsoft to anyone at any age. The prevalence of incompetent, political, and mean spirited mid-managers has grown to crippling levels over the years.
Pros
Free soda and coffee, great benefits
Cons
Toxic team culture, Hyper-Political-Correctness
Microsoft - Systems Administrator
Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CASeptember 19, 2018
Excellent company, excellent pay. However be prepared for the range of typical large company issues. While you may be well taken care of, it may be frustrating finding your way through large networks of teams to get your job done.
Pros
Compensation, work life balance
Cons
You're just a number, everyone is replacable
Great company to work for
Program Manager II (Current Employee) –  Redmond, WASeptember 19, 2018
Working for Microsoft is great. Good work/life balance. Compensation is not stellar, but benefits and work/life balance makes up for it. In general, everyone wants to do the right thing and everyone is fighting the same fight.
Benefits
Cons
Compensation
An amazing culture and workplace to thrive in!
Consumer Services Advisor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 19, 2018
Working at Microsoft is an experience like no other. They provide and amazing culture and a fun workspace to grow and learn from. Overall great place to be in.
Microsoft
Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  Redmond, WASeptember 18, 2018
It is still the same Microsoft. Benefits are still better than other companies.Work / life balance at Microsoft is a myth. You are just a cog in the wheel. If a cheaper cog is available you are gone in a heartbeat.
Benefits
Cons
Extreme politics
Company Store is a relaxing place to be. Fun stuff to buy too!
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXSeptember 18, 2018
Great store. Closed now, but I hope that a new store will open! Creates a barber shop like feel to the place. Employees are all very friendly. Great coffee shop at this location.
product advisor (Former Employee) –  Danbury, CTSeptember 18, 2018
It was okay, training insufficient for role being provided, they have trouble dealing with associates whom may have anxiety issues. How much more s hould i say? i regret saying yes to this at akk,
Could be fun
Principal, Regional Azure Cloud Architect (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 18, 2018
Couldve been fun, but too remote, not enough people willing to dig in and work . The work was fun, too much sales getting in the way of doing fun work with clients.
Hard, to the point and productive
SENIOR GLOBAL TECHNICAL ACCOUNT MANAGER - TAM (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 17, 2018
had to travel in a very short notice for an onsite one on one meeting. Then it turned into meeting with several different groups. It was hard, but to the point and very productive.
Pros
manage your own work/time
Cons
Work life balance
Fun and innovative, but difficult to navigate as a contractor
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Redmond, WASeptember 17, 2018
I love working at Microsoft--my boss is relaxed, we have a fun team, and I'm paid well for the work that I do. My hours are flexible, as I work from home most of the time, and the events that I run are very fun. The only issue that I have is that i'm a contractor and there is very little knowledge or education given as to how to break out of that role and find something full-time. From what I can see, most teams just reorder themselves to fill spaces or take on interns at a lower cost with less experience. I'd love to work full-time here...i'm just not sure how.
Depends on where you work
Senior Project Manager/Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WASeptember 17, 2018
There are pockets of great opportunities at Microsoft but I do not work in one. They have given so much autonomy to managers that there is zero protection for employees.
Best Company to work for!
Software Developer Engineer - LEAP Apprenticeship (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WA, Austin, TxSeptember 17, 2018
Microsoft has the best workplace culture. They do make sure their employees keep up with the latest and greatest by providing them opportunities to grow thru hackathons and conferences as well as flexibility to work with other teams in different locations. I believe they choose the best people in the Managerial positions. They make sure that what they do is in accordance to best practices, programmatically, architecturally, ethically and humanly possible.
I enjoyed my time at Microsoft
Software Design Engineer II, SQL Build Tools (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WASeptember 17, 2018
I really enjoyed my time working at Microsoft. They provided a rich culture to work in. I was able to take advantage of many learning opportunities though on campus courses and tuition reimbursement for college classes.
i was happy going to work, but
Services Advisor (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WASeptember 14, 2018
Quite Frankly, Store 0006 management has their heads up their butts. its all about the customer screw what the employee tells them. Microsoft retail sucks.
An ordinary company like any other, with a lot of money and frequent layoffs
Dev Lead (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WASeptember 14, 2018
Microsoft is just another company.
Managers are chosen by loyalty and friendship.
Contemptible people pass for smart ones.
There are some genuinely smart people, but not as many as they think there are.
Most projects start and end with no justification.
Frequent layoffs kill morale.
If you are lucky to be assigned to a good group, stay!
Pros
Lots of money.
Cons
Lots of money, so no one cares for taking good decisions.
Exciting and challenging
Sr. Test Engineer (Former Employee) –  Wilsonville, ORSeptember 14, 2018
Location in Wilsonville designed and produced Surface Hub products. Work was exciting and challenging, but being a remote site from Microsoft headquarters brought limited support and changes which were not always communicated on a timely basis.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Microsoft. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2

Powered by Fairygodboss

3.6Fairygodboss Score

56%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

88%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.