Microsoft

Microsoft Employee Reviews

United States135 reviews

Found 135 reviews matching the searchSee all 7,580 reviews
technologysmartxboxmsftbalancecultureredmondteam

Productive and fun work place.

Productive and fun work place. Everyone is willing to lend a helping hand. Overall positive work culture with great work life balance! There are also plenty of employee resource groups that allow you to feel comfortable bringing your authentic self to work.

Pros

Great vision insurance and employee resource groups!

Service Desk Sweat Shop

Don’t not recommend the number of tickets assign to each engineer is insane. The only way to survive is to put some of the workload to others. Management only care about themselves and training does not exist. It’s one of those soul sucks jobs that leads to depression.

Microsoft insights

Based on 1,955 survey responses
What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Ability to learn new things

No work life balance

People are often mistreated, laid off with no prior warning, I work off hrs, I was once even threatened to do my job saying your performance depends on this and other people were laid off so think about it. I don't appreciate a work environment that doesn't feel psychologically safe and secure. They do pay well yes but that's about it.

Great team and amazing culture!

Loved my time at Microsoft! They have amazing benefits, encourage learning, supportive teammates, and knowing I was directly helping others was a great feeling! Training over 900 people at one time for a live event was both professional and personal growth for me. Again loved my time there!

Contract work is not worth it here for the money but job was easy

I worked as a contractor for MSFT and was grossly underpaid. Job was very easy and flexible. Job was kind of boring. No opportunity to get out of contract work.

I have worked for Microsoft multiple occasions as an FTae and contractor. All of the experiences have been positive. The culture is something that I really appreciate. You will find that there is always people who want to support you or give you great advice. They are focused on their employees to have a good balance between work and life. Professionally speaking, you'll find yourself understood and teams always welcome new ideas. Lots of resources and things you can learn. They are a great company focused on diversity and innovation.

Awful work/life balance. "Customer is always right" ideology that should have stayed in the past.

This company is like a box of chocolates. You never really honestly know what you are going to get. The compensation and benefits are nice but other than that the working environment is just a front for truly stressful jobs. Of course, I think it all depends on luck. Because development teams have a clearer purpose and better benefits while there are teams where you are just a number. If you are not in the United States or another major city and if you are not a manager/dev/designer then look for something elsewhere.

Pros

Benefits, compensation, ergonomical office supply

Cons

Stressful environment, ancient ideals about support, awful work life balance

Poorly managed contract work

I was on a team of contractors and most of them didn't know what they were doing. I often had to redo my coworkers' work. The work was monotonous and easy. I often had days where I had nothing to do. Because I was working through an agency, I was only paid hourly and felt both underpaid and underappreciated.

Contracting at Microsoft

In a relatively short MS contract, I had a supportive team who kept work in perspective while accomplishing the tasks at hand. My immediate manager helped me greatly grow my editing skills as I worked with him.

Flexibility

Great flexibility for new mothers they have a great work culture. Management was very understanding and works with you. Short term contract. Would go back anytime

Excellent overall experience

I learned a lot. I rececived a lot of support. Most people were respectful. It was fun and challenging.Please add more information to your answer. Answers with more details will help the community.

Pros

Great manager with excellent life/work balance values

Cons

I had one bad experience with a FTE who treated me like her secretary until I fought back.

Experienced Microsoft employee

Corporate roles are good and full of benefits, other roles not so much. Get lucky with leadership because it’s very hard to find a mentor so someone willing to help you grow.

Great opportunity for growth

I worked on a great team that progressed my skillset as a data scientist. The process to learn involved many instances of programming with other interns and it was a great experience.

Great mental workplace

Lots of great enthusiasm and pushing you to do your best work at all times, amazing place to work, and the pay and benefits are like no others in the industry.

Pros

Perks+, Discounts, Pay

Excellent in store work environment, remote operations needed improvement

I worked at the Microsoft Store before Covid 19, and transitioned into remote operations. My overall experience with the company was very positive. My coworkers, local and regional management were knowledgeable, professional and supportive. The retail work experience was unlike any I've ever had, with a variety of opportunities for growth and development. When the stores closed and shifted to remote operations, it was clear that it was a hard pivot that the company was not prepared for. Goals, rewards and accountability metrics were sometimes confusing and changed rapidly.

Not fun and super boring routine work. Zero career opportunities. The only good thing about the job is that it looks remote work.

I am working as a support engineer now and I honestly speaking, CSS is a fairly poor organization. Trainings are mostly just online self learning; process and organization is changing all the time for no good reasons. Everyone seems like on the surface but deep down everyone is just looking after their own interests. Diversity and Inclusion is just nonsense corporate koolaid that forces everyone to do extra work and it sometimes leads to hiring of wrong person for the wrong job (diversity hire). Do not recommend anyone to work in the CSS organization.

It really depends where you land…

It depends on your manager and the position in the org. In my case, my manager was not interested at all in my success or future conversion and I’ve felt very disposable… the work I do is interesting and I enjoy it, but i never know what is going to happen as my contracts come to a close.

Productive and fun work place

The team is very supportive and the management really helps us in growth and career advancements. The compensation is good but not as competitive as others.

Good place to work, great benefits, pto, teamwork. I would’ve stayed longer if I didn’t need more work/life balance. It is a very fast paced environment with plenty of work to be done.

A very amazing company to work for!

A very amazing company to work for. There are a lot of good AI project to work on. Everything is nice. People are nice. I am nice too. Will recommend for anyone.

Outstanding benefits.

Management is poor. Departments are disorganized, and many units don't even use Microsoft's own tools and applications for project management. The workplace culture can be very toxic at times. High pressure with little to no direction.

Pros

Great Benefits

Cons

Poor management. Toxic culture

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Microsoft. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.1 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
3.6Personal Development
3.7Career Opportunities
4.2Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight