MicroStrategy Employee Reviews

Low pay for the area
Product Support Manager (Former Employee) –  Tysons Corner, VANovember 27, 2018
Does not pay very well, depending on the role. Middle and upper management can be disorganized, but I was always satisfied with my direct supervisor. The job wasn't difficult and I was able to learn a lot, but I felt undervalued as an employee.
Good incentives if you could sell it
Senior Account Executive (Former Employee) –  JOhannesburgNovember 14, 2018
High end market with few sales.
Limited marketing
Always discounting huge amounts as we were over priced.
Long implementations
No agile methodology
BI Software company
Senior Production Consultant (Former Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 24, 2018
Typical day in work was anything but typical. Which made it interesting. Significant amount of travel was challenging. In general great people to work with
fun environment but extremely demanding
Lead IT Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Tysons Corner, VAAugust 1, 2018
The biggest down side was that while I worked for Microstratedy there was very little work-life balance. It was mostly work. In fact if you were not performing as the 12 hour workaholic you weren't included as part of the team and you were penalized during reviews.
One way loyalty and partially fake team culture
Sales Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 29, 2018
Do not expect any periodic raises. Your seniority and company loyalty means nothing. If leaders decide to terminate you, they will find a reason. One employee was terminated after many years of service rather suddenly.
Great opportunity to learn new technology. But, collaboration within certain teams is non-existent. So, you are on your own if you are part of such team.
Fun workplace
IT Support Engineer (Former Employee) –  Tysons Corner, VAJune 27, 2018
Checking in on my staff and assessing progress on projects. Discuss our priorities for the week, then meet again in the middle of the week to check progress of our work. As information technology advance we learn new staff every day. Better management great result. The most enjoyable part of the job is when we see customer satisfaction is meet.
productive
Assistant manager, Larsen & Toubro (Former Employee) –  NYJune 5, 2018
God culture.

Pros

level of transparency, growth directly proportional to the performance

Cons

salary, unorganized processes eg salary discussion etc
June 20, 2018

Thank you for the feedback. We're glad to hear that you enjoyed the culture during your time here, and saw that we follow our value of transparency. As we continue to grow as a business, we also continue to mature in our processes and compensation structure. We've more recently hired a head of total rewards to help navigate us through enhancing all benefits and rewards we offer employees. We hope employees will see the impact of our work toward this effort in the future.

Productive customer care top Priority
Lead Technical Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Tysons Corner, VAMay 25, 2018
Good workplace. Allowed to grow within groups or departments. Always looking for improvements and challenges to improve overall quality for both employees and customers.
June 20, 2018

Thanks for the positive comments. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your experience here, and saw career growth we can offer employees internally. Yes, customers are a big focus for MicroStrategy this year, and improving our service and enhancing our products are two key areas our CEO reiterates to our teams during company wide meetings. We will continue this focus and are looking forward to seeing the results of the dedication.

Company has become a casualty of market change
Western Region Sales Leader (Former Employee) –  Tysons Corner, VAMay 13, 2018
BI has evolved away from Microstrategy. The product would require a complete rewrite which would take several years to complete. The CEO is the sole decision maker, visionary, marketing exec, sales guru, engineering architect, lead developer and won't let go.
Pros
Nice office
Cons
Toxic culture
June 20, 2018

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback. Yes, we are old for a software company, in fact we just celebrated 20 years of being a publicly traded company. Yet, we still think we're in the BI game. We’re really excited about the progress and recognition we’ve been receiving for our product this year. Recently we received the highest product scores in 3 of 5 use cases in Gartner’s 2018 Critical Capabilities Report (https://www.microstrategy.com/us/company/press/microstrategy-receives-highest-product-scores-in-3-of-5-use-cases-in-gartner-2018-critical-capabilities-report) . While we’ve been around for a while, we are focused on continuously innovating and bringing the best product to market we can – and that is showing with new customers and analyst reviews.

Great BI Software with lots of potential
Senior Consultant/Project Manager (Current Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CAMarch 17, 2018
MicroStrategy has great BI software, and I've worked with/seen other BI software, and has great potential to be strrong leader in the industry. However, there is lack of focus from the Executive Management and every year seems to be turnover at all levels of the company hindering it to being strong in the industry.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
High rate of attrition
CEO maintains high standards for employee productivity
Senior Manager, Technical Support Operations (Current Employee) –  Tysons, VAMarch 5, 2018
Employees are expected to be proactive while successfully completing all job responsibilities. Leadership generally keeps teams informed of corporate initiatives and priorities quarter by quarter. It seems there are often waves of hiring and firing at all levels of the organization.
Pros
Pay, benefits, access to technology
Cons
stressful culture
Dynamic and reinventing itself
Director (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 20, 2018
MicroStrategy wants to be your foundation for intelligence everywhere and is in the midst of a reinvention to do so. As a platform the technology is scaleable, runs OLAP at the speed of business, and OLTP without a hitch. Company culture seems to be in a constant state of flux. Go to market strategies are coming together but still have some maturation ahead.
The toxic culture has now spread to all departments with high stress and micromanagement!
Manager (Former Employee) –  HQFebruary 13, 2018
Higjly do not recommend working there even for a short time. Culture is toxic and the management team members(beginning with the CEO all the way down to the Director level managers are the finest backstabbers ever with no conscience. One minute you're a super achiever, then the next, you are the worst performer ever according to your manager and their manager. Low to mo sharing of information from direct management team to the team members. You can't trust the management team's word or written word. Departments don't work well with other peer groups. The management team of long tim emploeesat MicroStrategy need to go out and get a job at a real company--the only problem is that they'd never survive for any length of time in a real professional business environment!
Pros
Gym
Cons
Culture, work / life balance, management team beginning at the top down to the Director level. The norm is to eat their young.
Will cull large groups without warning
Associate (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAJanuary 30, 2018
Terrible place that regularly gets rid of full teams. In a typical day you receive no guidance about anything, people do not value your opinions, and through the whims of any executive you could lose your job without warning through no fault of your own.
Professional and challenging work
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 25, 2018
As a company it was a good company to learn and work especially when it came to the needs of the client and learning about the nuances of the job. Training was intensive and they prepared you.
Pros
Goal orientated
Cons
Future uncertain with recent management changes
Excellent chance for advancemnt
Beta Programs Coordinator/Customer Care Liaison (Former Employee) –  Tysons Corner, VAJanuary 1, 2018
Wonderful career path advancement. Excellent place to learn new skills and hone old ones. An amazing environment of intelligent people and idea sharing.
Fast Paced and Fast Growth
Senior Manager (Former Employee) –  McLean, VADecember 15, 2017
i worked at MicroStrategy during the internet bubble. It was a wild ride, but my experience would not be relevant to 2018. Company was very innovative and the employees were hardworking, collaborative and intelligent. The business strategy failed and the company laid off 2/3 of the workforce.
Pros
People
Cons
Process, Business Strategy
Must enjoy working in fast paced Projects
Sr Technical Lead and DWBI Architect (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 11, 2017
Working as a consultant for Microstrategy is very good learning experience to any individual.
Gain Consulting experience with many Multi Billion Dollar Client.
Pros
Learning, Build Connections, Exposure to various variety of Projects
Cons
Too much Travel
Fun Workplace
Education Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 7, 2017
It was a very young company so that made the work culture very exciting. People were very willing to work and teach you new skills while providing a fun work environment.
fast paced, stimulating work environment
Collections - Accounts Analyst (Former Employee) –  Tysons Corner, VANovember 21, 2017
Although the overall environment was nice there wasn't much opportunity to grow and they preformed a large downsizing a few years ago. Many people that had been with the company for a large many years either were laid off or submitted their resignation.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MicroStrategy. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.4InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

2.0Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight