Mid-Continent Public Library Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Not appreciative of hard work
Access Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Buckner, MOMarch 6, 2018
Do not expect advancement easily. Great job, but upper management cannot decide on a direction for the system. Constant change for the sake of change.
Pros
Inside work
Cons
Benefits are great, but don't expect them
Disappointing
Access Specialist (Former Employee) –  Platte City, MOJanuary 5, 2018
While the staff were wonderful, there were management issues that made working there very difficult. Turnover in staff went from next to non to very high during my tenure.
Mcpl
Clerk, and Page (Former Employee) –  Independence, MODecember 20, 2017
Mid-Continent library system is a good system with which to work. It is well established and provides a much needed service outside of the Kansas City proper area. This was my first taste of the library world and set me on a path that ended with gaining a degree in the field and being able to work in several professional positions.
Great place to work; very flexible hours
Access Specialist (Former Employee) –  Gladstone, MOAugust 2, 2017
• Responsible for checking in/out books, shelving materials, issuing library cards, and answering customer questions
• Assisted customers in locating materials and using computers and e-readers
• Utilized library management software to manage and track resources, materials, and customer information
Fun and Fulfilling
Library Page (Current Employee) –  Liberty, MOJuly 7, 2017
I have loved working at MCPL. The work culture is great and they will alway be vital to our community. For the work that I do there, the pay is somewhat lacking, but I love the work so that makes up for it.
Happy Place to work
Library Aide (Former Employee) –  Parkville, MOApril 5, 2017
Most customers you see are generally happy. You are able to help people with many tasks. It is a quiet place to work and you are learning many new skills.
Pros
Friendly Customers
Cons
Working on Saturdays
Library
Parkville Branch Access Specialist (Former Employee) –  Parkville, MOFebruary 6, 2017
A typical work day was generally busy with helping people find books, helping them downloading items on their laptop, computer or cell phone. In generall helping customers with whatever they needed. We also did background work such as checking in books, and dealing with overdue items, etc. We also made sure the library was generally in good order by picking up items. Checking to see if people needed help and making sure the drop boxes were unloaded. I learned that libraries are not what they used to be. To work at a library you need computer experience as well as people skills. Also a desire to investigate things. The staff was nice and easy to work with. Management was also very helpful and easy to talk to. I would recommend this library to anyone. The hardest part of the job was not being able to help someone you really wanted to help. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping people.
Pros
Helping people
Cons
Sometimes irrational people that you could not help
Great Library with an eye on the future
Assistant Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Riverside, MODecember 16, 2016
Mid Continent Public Library is a large library system that values its employees and customers. They truly want to satisfy everyone. There are some ongoing communications issues due to the large size of the system and the large number of employees. I feel these can be resolved by over communication and transparency between senior management and the front line staff
Pros
Good people, great benefit package.
Cons
lower than competitive pay
Fun place to work
Access Specialist I (Substitute Library Clerk) (Current Employee) –  Parkville, MOJanuary 5, 2016
Love my job, just wish I could work more hours & bring my kid. I enjoy the variety that comes with this job.

I assist people in looking for a book, topics, assist on the computers and with other technology such as a copier & devices and the like.
It was fun to read the latest book from a series.
Library Page (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 5, 2015
What a typical day at work was like is that I would come in and was greeted by my coworkers and after that, I scan by badge to clock-in. I would then go toward my work area and see what needs to be done. I would put away books as well as other items and if that were already done I would ask my boss(es) what other tasks needs to be done. Clean restrooms, take out trash, vacuum the children's area as they done arts and crafts often were part of my job. I learned the Dewey Decimal system during my time of working at the library. The management was nice and very understandable. My coworkers were some of the most mature and friendly coworkers anybody could ask for. The hardest part of this job was finding an item that was said by the catalog was in the library but could not be found as someone may have picked it up, read some pages but put it down somewhere else. Reading books that I have never read is what I enjoyed the most about this job.
Pros
A quite environment
Cons
Lack of hours
Outstanding customer service
Page (Current Employee) –  Lees Summit, MOFebruary 16, 2015
The library continues to merge into the 21st Century with a wider variety of new materials, online resources and customer service being the top priority in the environment.
Pros
Public interaction.
Creative and fun workplace
Library Page (Former Employee) –  Lone Jack, MOAugust 5, 2014
Days included organizing materials. A fun place to use your imagination and create with other workers.
corporate structure
Part-time page (Former Employee) –  Claycomo, MOJanuary 27, 2014
lots of good days, but the bad ones are real bad.
Corporate structure is bad for humans.
Your manager might be good but will be forced to be a jerk by higher ups.
Great Office Environment
Assistant Librarian/Page (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MoApril 5, 2013
This was the dream job for me, I was able to interact with customers on a daily basis, as well as stay busy doing office duties.