Mid America Clinical Laboratories Employee Reviews

Busy
MLT (ASCP) (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 7, 2019
It's a hectic environment. Not all facilities have the same stress level or staffing shortage so it varies. If someone takes vacation or has to have time off for other reasons, it creates a personnel shortage that is not compensated.
Pros
Lots of benefits
Cons
Short of staff in most facilities
Environment requires endurance
Support Tech (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INMarch 25, 2019
Fast-paced, need to be able to perform multiple tasks within a 8 hr shift. Problem solving is essential, comprehension in what you are dealing with is necessary.
Nothing special
MLT(AMT) (Former Employee) –  Washington County, INMarch 6, 2019
An average workplace with no management skills. No leadership and always concerned about job security. Management made employees always feel uncomfortable with the job security. Small lab was taken over by company.
Regional Micro Laboratory is terrible
Lab Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 15, 2019
I would not recommend working for the regional lab. The staff will gossip about you and constantly try to drag you down. Even with a degree, the pay is awful and is only livable if you work on nights. They will not let you advance and cannot keep employees. The workflow is outrageous and there’s not enough assistants to keep up. Don’t waste your time here.
Cons
Only one 15 minute break, short lunches if any, Gossip
Wonderful Management
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Anderson, INFebruary 14, 2019
The managers are amazing. The staff and the hospital are wonderful. It was the best experience, I enjoyed all of my co-workers. It was nice to be able to ease the patients and help them smile.
I've never thought it was possible to love a job.
Lab Support Technician (Current Employee) –  Anderson, INJanuary 10, 2019
Let me start by saying that I studied IT (Network and Cyber Security) before randomly applying for a position as a support technician. The four ten hour days is what really grabbed my attention at first. Then I went for the interview and saw pictures of the microbiology culture plates with colonies of growth on them (in the lobby) and I became more interested.

There hasn't been a day in the past three months where I haven't learned something new. The Med Techs are all very helpful and enjoy spreading their knowledge to me; they also enjoy all of my IT shortcuts in exchange.

A typical day at work includes quality control and calibration of several different instruments; this is done in harmony with the assays being performed on patient samples. As a support tech I can only result waived or moderately complex tests according to CLIA regulations. This is mostly tests in urinalysis and tests like pregnancy or flu. As a support tech you will help with highly complex tests but you won't result them.
This is how you know I love this company - I got my college degree in IT and now I'm going back so I can sit for the MT certification. I love that we help people while not dealing with them directly. I mean, how often can you say you helped save someones life that you have never seen?

Management has been awesome in my opinion. Some people complain, but they are the same people who have never walked in a managers shoes. As a manager you can never please everyone. I think our manager goes above and beyond to extend knowledge and be understanding of mistakes or questions.
  more...

The pay is less than I would make if I went to work in my field of study, but the position I am in isn't really a "degree" position so I would consider the pay slightly lower than most manual labor jobs.
The hardest part of this job has to be not being able to mess up. We are all humans - so we tend to do that. It's different here, peoples lives are on the line so it really inspires you not to mess up. It gives you job satisfaction knowing you didn't mess up.

The most enjoyable part of this job is definitely the people and their willingness to share knowledge and help each other grow as a team.

To finish this off, before i write a novel; I can say that this is the first of many jobs that I have wanted to make a career out of. It is rewarding and you get to learn something new everyday. Don't listen to the negative reviews, as I learned in statistics, people are more likely to write a review when they are mad than when they are happy.

One more thing- PTO accrual right as you start. It has been three months and I already have 40 hours of PTO saved up.

Okay, Okay, I'm done.
Pros
Job Satisfaction, Job security, culture, Pto
Cons
30 Minute lunch during 10 hour shift
Fun place to work, very busy
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Greenwood, INDecember 28, 2018
*Typical day at work
* loved working there fast pace
* busy work day
* Great management
* willing to work with you with vacation day
* very fun coworkers
Not a fun place to work
Laboratory Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 21, 2018
Doesn’t pay enough, training is not very good. Shifts are not properly staffed. Training is not done properly. Management is not helpful. Not enough communication.
Pros
Cons
Short breaks
Horrible Work environment with lots of gossip
Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 3, 2018
This place sucks the life out of you!! The COO had to work in our department due to short staff. The turnover rate is very high and I know why now. The senior employees treat new employees horribly. Immediately start talking about you the second you start. You don't have a trainer so you are never properly trained, then you're talked about when you do something wrong. They don't appreciate your hard-work. It will always be overlooked. AVOID THIS PLACE AT ALL COST!!!!!
Pros
Cons
Low pay, negative attitudes, only make okay money if you work the night shift, no job growth
Great learning experience
Phlebotomy Externship (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 28, 2018
I enjoyed the job. I learned a lot of things on the job rather than in school. The manager was patient and very helpful, taught me shortcuts and tip and trick.
Pros
great experience
Cons
understaffed
Love this company
Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 24, 2018
Good place to be, helps minorties,nfair treatmentmanagement is very friendly, room for advancement, good paid time off,great health care benefits, good job security.
Very busy place to work but there is room to advance.
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 20, 2018
Recently did my externship with this company. The ladies were very kind and I learned a lot. If you are just getting in the field I would say this is a great place to get started. Everyone answered all my questions and took time to make sure that I was successful through my time with them. The only complaints I heard from current employees is that they are underpaid and understaffed but they can't be the only company like this right?
stressful
Phlebotomy Technician (Former Employee) –  Noblesville, INNovember 16, 2018
Too much time is spent by individual phlebotomists registering patients. Patients could be in and out if only one or two people were incharge of registering and everyone else just perform the venipunctures and process.
Pros
good paid
Cons
stressful
Solid Opportunity & Company
OFFICER, BUSINESS TRANSFORMATION (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 14, 2018
Would recommend MACL.

Very collaborative and meaningful work to help the community achieve great customer service. Enjoyed working with the leadership team.
Didn't fulfill their promise
Was hired on to be the Second Shift Lead Tech (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 9, 2018
Was hired for second shift. Never made it to second shift. Was told that I was going to third shift. Discovered that the scheduling did not agree with me physically. Informed them of this. They never took action to correct this. Ended up leaving, couldn't physically continue working 3rd shift.
I will never get my or my family blood work at community east lab. Vary poor management. Manager was horrible in person and as manager.
Medical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Community eastSeptember 28, 2018
Terrible place to work. Terrible place to work. Terrible place to work
I will never get my or my family blood work at community east lab. VARY POOR MANAGEMENT. MANAGER WAS HORRIBLE IN PERSON AND AS MANAGER
Regret accepting this job
Medical Technologist (Former Employee) –  IndianaSeptember 5, 2018
Upper management is horrible, unprofessional & aloof. Labs are Extremely understaffed & many positions filled by uneducated candidates in order to save $. Patient care is compromised. Money is the ONLY concern. Rules & regulations are subjective & not enforced regularly.
Pros
Benefits & insurance
Cons
Staffing, workload, stress, unappreciated, management ignores concerns, etc
Try some place else
Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis,INAugust 25, 2018
As a whole it's an okay place to work. Management/ higher ups always complaining about overtime and money but doesn't hire people to help. Getting the needed supplies to do a normal day is hard since they are saving money so you might not have needles or tubes for the day. If you ask for supplies you get a response of "you don't need all of that." If you give a suggestion your head is cut off like you don't know what you are talking about even though we are on the front line. Time off is frowned upon and if you put in a vacation request it'll probably be denied if it's not put in over a year in advance. Actual pay is horrible because the ones who do the work are getting paid less than the people who sit around and raises are few and far between. Some supervisors are awesome but others need help. If you can handle the low pay, rude management and working with no supplies then work here.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Management, no vacation, low pay, no supplies for work
unenjoyable workplace
Processor (Current Employee) –  shadeland ave locationAugust 17, 2018
I am going to keep it short but Macl has no loyalty with there employees I worked there for 10 years and seen many higher ups get fired over the years who been there a great deal of time. the hours here are quite looong and the worst part about this job the higher ups belittle people quite often. I wouldn't recommend anyone to work on Shadeland location. Benefits are great! Hard to get anytime off though.
Pros
benefits, nice 401k package, pto roll-over
Cons
mangament, Overtime
Productive workplace. Good stepping stone into hospital environment
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INAugust 4, 2018
This company is a good gateway into laboratory work. The company is constantly evolving and striving to improve their efficiency and is currently working on an initiative to retain new hires. An average at day at work is high volume patient care and can be stressful. The hardest part of the job is dealing with red tape imposed by the upper echelon of MACL's management. The job itself is easy to learn and perform but management and above needs serious work. The most enjoyable part of this job was providing patient care to those who needed it most. Feeling like you've made a difference was very rewarding. Seriously understaffed with no plans to improve the situation, it was hard to want to go to work and feel like there weren't enough people to do the job we were tasked to do at peak efficiency. Upward mobility was zero and opportunities for furthering education within the lab were minimal. The opportunities that did exist were exceedingly difficult to get permission for and attain.
Pros
The reward you take home from touching people's lives.
Cons
Understaffed and poorly managed.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mid America Clinical Laboratories. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7