MidAmerican Energy Employee Reviews

jHostle worl ennvironment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJanuary 24, 2019
a lot of down time, and if the office lead doesn't like you, you will not be trained, and she will force you to quit or set you up to get fired. I would not recommend this company to anyone.
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
management
Great Company
Plant Instructor/Simulator (Former Employee) –  Sioux City, IANovember 5, 2018
Basically it was a dream job. My experience in operations and maintenance gave me a unique opportunity to train coworkers in all aspects of the plant. There is something pretty neat about teaching and seeing the light bulb turn on.
Pros
Great Pay, great benefits.
Cons
Lots of travel
It was an ok place to work.
Energy Specialist (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAOctober 22, 2018
The environment was waaayy too relaxed at energy services , almost to the point that it was unprofessional. If you don’t meet their expectations in 1 week your getting booted out. Their equipment/ systems suck and are slow and glitchy as heck. At about 1.5 weeks into the job they expect you to make and or propose process changes and improvements, but how can you if you barley know their systems and processes?! It was basically a waste of time and a joke working their. Also , don’t ask too many questions your first week there or they look down upon you and your basically setting yourself up to get fired. I wouldn’t recommend this place , it’s like being in the twilight zone and having vertigo at the same time.
Alright place to work
Engineering Technician II-Electric (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IA 50320October 7, 2018
A typical day is varied by each department. Some departments are so overworked that there is negative energy in the air and it makes it difficult to work with those people. Overall, it is a decent company to work for. You have job security. The are currently working on changing the entire company to be more available for the millenials.
Pros
Job Security, benefits
Cons
Negativity
Very Cut Throat Type of Company
Safety Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IASeptember 18, 2018
Management is very self absorbed and self preservation type of styles. The company has nothing but complaints from the workforce it employs due to mismanagement, poor leadership direction and decisions and very hostile in nature.
Cons
Very micro managing type of employer with lack of good support.
Nice place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IASeptember 11, 2018
MidAmerican is a nice company to work for. My immediate supervisor was very nice and easy to work for. Some of the good parts of the job were my co-workers. They were easy to be around. Most of the customers were great too. There were times that I didn't feel busy enough which made it a very along day. Once in awhile you would get a person in that was very upset and sometimes threatening.
Productive and fun place to work with great people.
Contract Specialist (Former Employee) –  Urbandale, IAAugust 13, 2018
I was hired on as a contract employee through a temp agency to work for MidAmerican. My hours were from 8:30am - 5:00pm. I received a 30 minute lunch period.

My typical day consisted of the following:

• Processed all Electric contracts that came in and were signed by the President of MidAmerican Energy Services, Inc.
• Assisted in processing Gas contracts that came in and were signed by the President of MidAmerican Energy Services, Inc. when help was needed
• Ensured expedited response times to all in-bound customer inquiries in regards to received contracts that had been processed
• Delivered a professional experience to customers and agents as it relates to account management and retention
• Kept the spreadsheets and databases updated when we received the signed contracts and completely processed in a consistent and timely manner.
• Assisted my Supervisor by completing multiple projects that needed to be completed.

It was a fast paced environment to a degree. I was constantly on my feet fulfilling the duties that I was there to do.

Overall i loved working there. It was a great place to work and I enjoyed working with the great people there.
Pros
Great facility & great people
Run away
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  South DakotaAugust 5, 2018
I wish there were negative numbers I could choose. This is by far the worst company I have ever worked for. I have never seen so many miserable people in my life. I have not one positive thing to say about it. I cant get out of here fast enough.
Pros
Work hours but you are expected to work through breaks and lunches for free
Cons
everything is awful. poor attitudes, no raises, management is awful and they wont respond to legitiment complaints
90% bad
Iowa, Gas Technician (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJuly 27, 2018
They have no respect for their employees and never does the right hand know what the left is doing. Turmoil almost constantly and the waste of product is outrageous.
Pros
Inclemit weather days
Cons
Breaks non existenet, Union is not for the employees, too many telling you what to do and not enough working, Management lacks hands on field knowledge
Interesting work, but very negative work environment
Operations (Current Employee) –  Urbandale, IAJuly 25, 2018
I have worked here for several years in several different departments, and if you are not one of the Chosen Ones, you will go nowhere in this company. Management does not support staff enough, and high level jobs are just created for certain people without giving others who are just as qualified the opportunity to apply.

Most departments are constantly overworked, and rude behavior and getting publicly chewed out for small mistakes is almost a daily occurrence. Health benefits are too expensive and there is zero maternity/family leave. You get one large bank of PTO and no sick or bereavement leave.
It's fine
Product Manager II - Business Operations Analyst (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 24, 2018
The office is good but management is limiting. The hardest part of my job is that I cannot advance since I'm not based in Iowa. The company is 100% again telecommuting employees so I have no choice but to either accept a dead end job or leave.
No drive to really improve
Benefits Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJuly 23, 2018
The culture is very difficult. The leadership is focused on the end goal even if that results in poor processes and bad moral for the employees. The company promotes tuition reimbursement but never actually awards employees with that benefit. The pay is good and the benefits are not horrible. Too much internal conflict.
Electric Operations Supervisof (Current Employee) –  Davenport, IAMay 28, 2018
Always busy days go by quick. They are always trying to improve the work environment. The. Company normally will try to find someone within to promote.Company works well with union employees.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Sometime it gets hectic
Good company
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAMay 15, 2018
Overall good work environment and pleasant co-workers.We not only focused on work 24/7, but also tried to do things for the general population and people in need in our own hometowns.
Machinist Mechanic Welder, Crew Leader
Machinist Mechanic Welder, Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  Muscatine, IAFebruary 15, 2018
Assisted with crew and job assignment while performing duties of the direct supervisor in their absence. Coordinated work by building daily and weekly schedules, administering work permits as needed. Performed duties in the maintenance, repair, installation, and removal of mechanical equipment. Installed, troubleshooted, and repaired both hydraulic and pneumatic systems. Worked with cylinders of all sizes and length, conveyor systems, mechanical drives, linkage, and electronically controlled high-speed equipment. Set and properly aligned power transmission components. Perform station machine work by use of machine shop and portable field machining equipment. Read and interpreted all blueprints as necessary.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Work life balance wasn't good.
Typical power plant environment
Crew Supervisor, Operations (Former Employee) –  Helper, UTFebruary 9, 2018
Typical for a large company. Coal-fired power plants are being phased out. No future in that industry. Being replaced by renewable so many skills are not transferable to future industry.
Pros
Excellent working schedule
Cons
Contract job came to an end. Plant shut down.
Great Intern Experience
Gas Distribution Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Sioux City, IAFebruary 6, 2018
I got to participate in a wide variety of tasks in a fun, friendly environment. I loved coming to work every day. Each day was different and I felt like what I was doing was important.
Tier 1 Analyst (Former Employee) –  Urbandale, IAJanuary 24, 2018
Excellent company to work for. Very team oriented . Good people, good management , and pretty much a stress free environment Depending on the weather
Great company!!
Billing Representative (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAJanuary 16, 2018
Great place to work. Cross training was always happening to help advance your skills. Management was very supportive of family and other commitments. Would go back if I could.
Nice Company
Regional Sales Manager, Mid Atlantic Region (Current Employee) –  Washington, DC,January 7, 2018
Nice company but moves very slowly. Never want to try new things. A lot of good ideas wasted since management never listens. Sales commissions are paid on unrealistic quotas. Highest priced supplier with out value adds to help with price differential
Pros
A Berkshire Hathaway Compant
Cons
Compensation, never willing to change