MidAmerican Energy Employee Reviews in Des Moines, IA

Very Cut Throat Type of Company
Safety Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IASeptember 18, 2018
Management is very self absorbed and self preservation type of styles. The company has nothing but complaints from the workforce it employs due to mismanagement, poor leadership direction and decisions and very hostile in nature.
Cons
Very micro managing type of employer with lack of good support.
90% bad
Iowa, Gas Technician (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJuly 27, 2018
They have no respect for their employees and never does the right hand know what the left is doing. Turmoil almost constantly and the waste of product is outrageous.
Pros
Inclemit weather days
Cons
Breaks non existenet, Union is not for the employees, too many telling you what to do and not enough working, Management lacks hands on field knowledge
No drive to really improve
Benefits Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJuly 23, 2018
The culture is very difficult. The leadership is focused on the end goal even if that results in poor processes and bad moral for the employees. The company promotes tuition reimbursement but never actually awards employees with that benefit. The pay is good and the benefits are not horrible. Too much internal conflict.
Lack of structured training
Tax Analyst (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IADecember 8, 2017
I complete most of my task from my cubical. From the very beginning you are given the same amount of work as the employees that were in that position for 3 to 5 years (and still feel overwhelmed) despite the lack of appropriate training. Sometimes, I felt like the person in charge of my training does not have time for me ( they still have the same workload regardless of whether they are training or not) or maybe they just did not want to be around me. The worst part was that one person (supervisor) would tell you to do something in particular way and another one (manager) would disagree and vise versa; and, before they talk to each other you are verbally and emotionally abused and humiliated by one of them. Another source of discomfort for me was the gossip; A becomes automatically the subject of the conversation when A is not around.
One thing I liked about my job is that it is challenging because there is a lot to do. I did learn a lot. I put in a lot of effort and mastered my job but had to give up when I noticed the back stabbing, setting up, and the lack of honesty( from my direct superior) that was going on the whole time.
Pros
Good pay, challenging opportunity
Cons
Poor Training, poor culture, and lack of respect and consideration
Stiff corporate culture. Lack of opportunities for advancement.
nobody (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAOctober 23, 2017
The company tries to impress with its remodeled office and the ability to wear jeans everyday, but it is still a rigid corporate office environment where you are treated like a number and not a person.
Pros
annual bonus possible
Cons
low pay, lack of promotional opportunities
great place
Storeroom Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAOctober 2, 2017
Great place with great improvements coming in the future. The company is actively changing the culture to improve company and union relationship. Great place for career growth.
if you dont get in with the click forget it
Gas Tech (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IASeptember 18, 2017
company knows it has many issues with gas program, no voice at all unless you are getting dragged infront of someone to plead your case since they dislike working with you. Management would rather hire and try again vs asking what they can do to help. If you enjoy working with natural gas you wont in a year starting here since work os not rewarded but discouraged most mornings you are forced to wait on a foreman for hours while they gossip and talk ceap about you while you prepare the truck for work, without any guidance. They are currently hiring to take over and repair there gas tech program which was poorly put together and forces you to be a journeyman on two drastically different jobs, without a dollar more an hr.

But hey if your dad or someone you know works here your in luck.
Competitve work environment
Executive Assistant - President & CEO (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IASeptember 12, 2017
Job experience was not what I had hoped for. Was hired as a shared position with another admin who has been with company for 20 years and there was not enough work to go around.
Pros
good salary with bonus and good benefits
Cons
was a sharing position with little authority over tasks
Temp Administrative Assistant.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJune 26, 2017
I filled in for a temp assignment while one of the Admin was out on maternity leave. There was no open Admin posisitons at the time that I completed my assignment.
Very professional and top of the line company
Senior Auditor (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMay 6, 2017
The company demands excellence from its employees; however, that excellence is rewarded through compensation and bonuses. People were extremelypositive and professional and easy to work with.
Management has an "us against them" mentality
Lineman, cable splicer, meter technician (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMarch 27, 2017
Pay is on a lower scale than other electrical utilities throughout the country. Morale as a whole is very low. Company has an "us against them" mentality. The company frowns on a supervisor that a particular department might be fond of. They send out a conduct and ethics pamphlet every year that they want employees to abide by, however, management is constantly breaking that protocol as if it didn't exist. Total double standard, VERY frustrating company to work for. If an employee happens to do something that the management does not like, there is always retaliation, whether it is legal, ethical, or not. Workers are always kept in a high stress working situation, because management always has them looking over their shoulder. And it is obvious that they want that kind of control. If any employee should happen to read this review, they would think, "AMEN"
Pros
guaranteed 40 hour week
Cons
management
Good Company to work for
Distribution Engineering Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMarch 7, 2017
Good Company to work for.- Safety culture well done - Good organization at all levels - nice work environment -

MidAmerican Energy Company is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity in the workplace and welcomes applicants who may be differently able
Pros
Good Company to work for
Cons
Good Company to work for
Watch your back
Not saying (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IASeptember 11, 2016
If you are not part of a click than you are screwed! Alot of back stabbing.people who don't do a darn thing all day sit on their butts and just talk all day then they get promoted.no advancement when you work really hard
Pros
Nice office
Cons
No advancement
Very Disappointed
Customer Service Rep/Cashier - Part time (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IASeptember 4, 2016
Training is not the best and the others are not quick to lend a hand so you’re pretty much left to fend for yourself. Gossiping and backstabbing is definitely alive and well in that office, and unfortunately is tolerated because the leadership in that office does it too. It’s very cliquey, with undeniable favoritism and lying. According to HR: since bullying and being rude to employees is not illegal, and as always, if it’s your word against another you don’t have much to go on, so nothing will change, I was very disappointed. It was not the kind of culture I wanted to be a part of.
Pros
they did have a break room
Cons
They need to stop letting employees treat other employees rudely.
MidAmerican Energy Company is a solid company to work for.
Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMarch 8, 2016
At MidAmerican Energy Company I was able to work on a wide variety of projects and develop my corporate finance skills as well as help manage the company pension plans. There was not a typical day with the company and at times long work hours and intense commitment to completing projects was required. While it was challenging the experience was highly valuable.
Every day is a different day. Nothing is the same. A learning enviroment
Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAOctober 1, 2015
serving the public in their energy needs of natural gas and electric needs. including gas leaks, carbon monoxide leaks, natural gas service lighting appliances.
Good company
Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IASeptember 18, 2015
Good work/life balance
Enjoyed the people, good rapport with each other
Management gave good feedback and helped to advance staff.
Communication was not good and I did not see advancement within the company without gas and electric degree or experience
Customer Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJanuary 28, 2015
Pros
Very flexable and a good group of people to work with
Cons
No advancement no feedback to improve and poor communication
Challenging but productive place to work
Distribution Operator (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IowaAugust 26, 2014
Work days are hectic due to the type of work. I have learned a great deal about dispatching. Management is supportive. 12 hour rotating shifts are difficult at times. There is no sick leave here and the insurance benefits aren't as good as I'm use to. I would say the most enjoyable part of my job is talking with the field personnel. Over all, it's a good job.
Pros
2 weeks off every 6 weeks
Cons
long hours. Stressful at times
Great grocery store and management
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJune 18, 2014
I enjoyed my time at Dahl's, always learning new things and great people to work with.
Pros
Customer relations and employees