MidAmerican Energy Culture reviews

Nice place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IASeptember 11, 2018
MidAmerican is a nice company to work for. My immediate supervisor was very nice and easy to work for. Some of the good parts of the job were my co-workers. They were easy to be around. Most of the customers were great too. There were times that I didn't feel busy enough which made it a very along day. Once in awhile you would get a person in that was very upset and sometimes threatening.
No drive to really improve
Benefits Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJuly 23, 2018
The culture is very difficult. The leadership is focused on the end goal even if that results in poor processes and bad moral for the employees. The company promotes tuition reimbursement but never actually awards employees with that benefit. The pay is good and the benefits are not horrible. Too much internal conflict.
Good company
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAMay 15, 2018
Overall good work environment and pleasant co-workers.We not only focused on work 24/7, but also tried to do things for the general population and people in need in our own hometowns.
Great Intern Experience
Gas Distribution Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Sioux City, IAFebruary 6, 2018
I got to participate in a wide variety of tasks in a fun, friendly environment. I loved coming to work every day. Each day was different and I felt like what I was doing was important.
Lack of structured training
Tax Analyst (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IADecember 8, 2017
I complete most of my task from my cubical. From the very beginning you are given the same amount of work as the employees that were in that position for 3 to 5 years (and still feel overwhelmed) despite the lack of appropriate training. Sometimes, I felt like the person in charge of my training does not have time for me ( they still have the same workload regardless of whether they are training or not) or maybe they just did not want to be around me. The worst part was that one person (supervisor) would tell you to do something in particular way and another one (manager) would disagree and vise versa; and, before they talk to each other you are verbally and emotionally abused and humiliated by one of them. Another source of discomfort for me was the gossip; A becomes automatically the subject of the conversation when A is not around.
One thing I liked about my job is that it is challenging because there is a lot to do. I did learn a lot. I put in a lot of effort and mastered my job but had to give up when I noticed the back stabbing, setting up, and the lack of honesty( from my direct superior) that was going on the whole time.
Pros
Good pay, challenging opportunity
Cons
Poor Training, poor culture, and lack of respect and consideration
Not Reccomended
Telecommunications Technician II (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IANovember 20, 2017
Lower than average pay for the industry

no room for advancement

the work seemed worth it at least

old school culture and attitudes, not modern at all
Corporate Culture at its Finest - Stay Away!!!
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Urbandale, IANovember 16, 2017
Corporate Culture that does not support their non-union employees. I am not going to go into details, but honestly I am ashamed that I ever worked for Mid American Energy. The expectations of a non- family first environment was frustrating. There is not a lot of good team cohesion. When you think there may be, it is being used to better advance others.

This was the hardest part of the job, the only good part of the job was working with the temps :)

Respectfully,

Look Somewhere Else
Pros
Hard to List
Cons
Too many
great place
Storeroom Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAOctober 2, 2017
Great place with great improvements coming in the future. The company is actively changing the culture to improve company and union relationship. Great place for career growth.
Good Company to work for
Distribution Engineering Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMarch 7, 2017
Good Company to work for.- Safety culture well done - Good organization at all levels - nice work environment -

MidAmerican Energy Company is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity in the workplace and welcomes applicants who may be differently able
Pros
Good Company to work for
Cons
Good Company to work for
i would not recommend working here
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAFebruary 15, 2017
The amount of stress, pressure and lack of work life balance will make you not to work as a CSA here. The management does not care about your opinions. Management will watch what you do, where you go and your drinking or bathroom habits. You are disrespected by management and when you complain you are treated like you are ridiculous for your complaints. The HR on site Representative is a joke and he would be a better value as a paper weight. The amount of people on FMLA for stress, anxiety and depression issues with people who are CSA's is very high here. I would never recommend working here due to the culture and daily life is horrible.
Pros
Accrued PTO
Cons
Management styles, overtime at the last minute, mandatory 12 hour days, management would like you to sit down, be quiet and be seen not heard.
Very Disappointed
Customer Service Rep/Cashier - Part time (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IASeptember 4, 2016
Training is not the best and the others are not quick to lend a hand so you’re pretty much left to fend for yourself. Gossiping and backstabbing is definitely alive and well in that office, and unfortunately is tolerated because the leadership in that office does it too. It’s very cliquey, with undeniable favoritism and lying. According to HR: since bullying and being rude to employees is not illegal, and as always, if it’s your word against another you don’t have much to go on, so nothing will change, I was very disappointed. It was not the kind of culture I wanted to be a part of.
Pros
they did have a break room
Cons
They need to stop letting employees treat other employees rudely.
Company
Customer Service Representative (Deregulated) (Current Employee) –  Davenport, IAAugust 24, 2015
Wonderful company to work for. Caring and competitive work environment. They offer a great pay and time off. My coworkers are amazing.
Great workplace
Job security/Advancement *****
Management *****
Job culture *****
Overall rating *****
Pros
Earned Pto
Cons
Parking
Great people to work with and I enjoyed the duties I had there
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IANovember 5, 2014
I really enjoyed working there and with my co-workers. I also really enjoyed managing their calendars and learning new tasks, like: maintaining meter inventory, creating work orders, making sure the guys are scheduled in appropriate areas, and assisting my boss. He was such a great boss. I've made new friends and will miss it there....
Pros
attractive pay, flexible, awesome management, great co-workers
Cons
secure job
MidAmerican Call Center
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Davenport, IAApril 7, 2014
OK place to work, very negative customers day in and day out. High turnover rate, it can be a great place to work, I am just looking for a change.
Pros
benefits available
Cons
working on the phone with angry customers day in day out.
Productive and enjoyable environment
Associate Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJanuary 7, 2014
Learned a lot. Developed great relationships with the co-workers. Great place to work.
An unpleasant place to work
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Muscatine, IaJanuary 20, 2013
Going to work and working with a majority of disgruntled workers in an environment of them and us. I learned that a culture that is thought to be superior to different ethnic cultures is hard to deal with. The majority of the work force was pretty much people friendly, but the management was uncontrolled in their respect for people. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the management and the workers who defied management because it was inherert that they do. Taking days off was the most enjoyable part of the job.