Middlebury College

Middlebury College Employee Reviews

United States89 reviews
Reliable employer
There are a lot of opportunities at Middlebury College. It's a good place to gain job experience and get some solid local connections. Some of the work can be hard but at the end of the day, it is what you make of it.
Good place to work during college.
I worked for several professors during my time at college and I found that they gave me skills that became exceedingly useful when I graduated and entered the professional world.
Great support and family oriented
8 hours of work plus some overtime which is greatly compensated. Happy work environment. Great support, they want happy healthy employees. They fully support self-care and offer time to do that.
Pros
paid vacation earnings plus days off
Pay better
The college needs to pay the people that Been her 20 years what they need to live.
Our manager at Middlebury College running facilities is not very people person. They don’t tell you how good of a job you’re doing or give you any compliments. I deserve $30 an hour for all the training I have done for this place I’m not very happy.
Great place to work in beautiful Vermont. I have worked here for 30 years and love it. Current president is awesome and thoughtful. Vermont is beautiful
Job seekers rely on your experience.
An Inclusive Working Place
Middlebury Institute of International Studies is a small but culturally diverse place to study and work. People at MIIS are highly respected professionals who are inclusive and open-minded to different cultures and opportunities for collaboration.
Terrible mistake
I am a graduate of MIIS and was so excited to have them offer me an adjunct teaching position upon graduation (I also worked as a student adjunct the year prior). I was offered $19/hr after graduating with an MA and with experience and was able to negotiate up slightly. However they cap your hours at 37.5/ week (huh, I wonder why...they don't have to pay benefits!). The pay is low and the hours are capped. I had a class for 14 and had to grade all of their papers in one day with no incentive. The director only cared what the students think of you and the program and never has your back when you encounter a problem in your classroom. Terrible experience, don't work here unless you want to get some experience on your resume and bounce.
Great group of guys to work around
It was like a big family of really cool guys pretty much, learned a lot from them over the years, really carved my ability's in a totally different way, than I had thought could be possible with a standard lawn care job.
Winging it
It felt as if the leadership was just winging it and did not pursue professional development that would better prepare them to be higher education management instead of just academic specialists with an ego for a leadership title. I was very disappointed in the lack of effective leadership.
Pros
Inspiring goals and mission
Cons
Ineffective leadership
A good opportunity to make money while helping other students
Working as a writing tutor at Middlebury's Center for Learning Teaching and Writing helped me develop my own writing skill as I helped other students with theirs. This job was a great way to maintain an income while in school.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Middlebury College?
Middlebury college review
I was harassed and verbally assaulted to the point of leaving, I do not recommend this place to work, it’s very toxic and they teach their supervisors to keep you angry because angry workers are more productive and they’ll do anything under legal harassment to keep you miserable.
Fun
I had fun working there, it was my first jobs so I made sure I did the best I could every day to show everyone else I was a hard worker. Tge cooks were nice and talked to me which was nice, my coworkers were nice too and we all worked well together especially when it was busy.
Pros
Free food, a nice break, free drinks.
Cons
Some people didnt work
Close-knit
Nice place to work. Middlebury students are passionate about their studies. Middlebury is a small community that likes to hire and promote Middlebury alumni.
Pros
Great students
Cons
Long days
Great working environment
Each day was a pleasure with the typical busy periods of an admissions office. Fall was an exciting time because of the new school year starting and new students eager to learn and make a difference in the world. Spring brought graduation festivities and commencement preparations. I enjoyed interacting with the graduate assistants we had in the office; they were eager and so full of life.
Pros
Great retirement, health benefits and generous time off
Cons
Communication between Middlebury in Vermont with Middlebury in Monterey.
Benifits are good, pay is terrible
working at Middlebury College is not for everyone. If benefits are your driving force, they provide many. If pay is your goal, they are a waste of time. They are saturated with people waiting for a better position to open and are usually already planned to get the job, so advancement without interior ties is virtually impossible.
Pros
no layoffs
Cons
low pay in comparison to similar positions elsewhere.
Gradual decline
When I started in dinning it was a tough job to get since it was sought after. Now they have huge turnover, which management thinks is good, and to find replacements take forever. Advancement is out of the question unless you are asked to apply for the job. The upper management has struggled at implementing computer programs to work for dinning. These people have been given promotions when no ground has been made. They will ask for help or concerns but nothing will be done. If you are someone who can be ok with working for people who cant do there own job and throw you under a bus if an issue arises then you may be ok. The benefits are ok, but are declining in time. The pay is ok but for now you get a small raise that dosnt cover the raise in cost of living. The co workers are good and direct managers. If middlebury college dinning isnt outsourced in 5 years I will be amazed.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Management, advancement and declining benefits
Best boss ever
The boss was amazing. He was cool, understanding and great to work for. The job taught me a lot about computers and media equipment. I would love to work there again but it is only for students.
Interesting work with great, smart people!
As a research assistant, I got to work on a very interesting project studying the relationship between climate and urbanization history across the globe. I could work from home and largely set my own schedule.
pretty nice place
worked there for about 2 years total, nice place. You get a free lunch and really get to know your co-workers and your boss will help you in whatever way they can
Pros
free lunch
Great staff and clean establishment!
The staff is very friendly and the work environment is so welcoming! The establishment is very clean and everyone follows the rules. They are pretty lax and there are many jokes involved! As long as you do your job, you are bound to excel here.
Loved working with everyone
Great pay & benefits

Very generous retirement plan

Ability to learn new skills

Collaborative atmosphere

Lots of time off

Multiple campuses
Pros
Great pay & benefits
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Middlebury College. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
3.7Personal Development
3.8Career Opportunities
3.4Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight