Middlebury College Employee Reviews

Benifits are good, pay is terrible
Floor Crew Custodian (Former Employee) –  middlebury vtApril 19, 2019
working at Middlebury College is not for everyone. If benefits are your driving force, they provide many. If pay is your goal, they are a waste of time. They are saturated with people waiting for a better position to open and are usually already planned to get the job, so advancement without interior ties is virtually impossible.
Pros
no layoffs
Cons
low pay in comparison to similar positions elsewhere.
Gradual decline
Cook (Current Employee) –  Middlebury, VTMarch 18, 2019
When I started in dinning it was a tough job to get since it was sought after. Now they have huge turnover, which management thinks is good, and to find replacements take forever. Advancement is out of the question unless you are asked to apply for the job. The upper management has struggled at implementing computer programs to work for dinning. These people have been given promotions when no ground has been made. They will ask for help or concerns but nothing will be done. If you are someone who can be ok with working for people who cant do there own job and throw you under a bus if an issue arises then you may be ok. The benefits are ok, but are declining in time. The pay is ok but for now you get a small raise that dosnt cover the raise in cost of living. The co workers are good and direct managers. If middlebury college dinning isnt outsourced in 5 years I will be amazed.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Management, advancement and declining benefits
Interesting work with great, smart people!
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Middlebury, VTDecember 28, 2018
As a research assistant, I got to work on a very interesting project studying the relationship between climate and urbanization history across the globe. I could work from home and largely set my own schedule.
pretty nice place
Server (Former Employee) –  Middlebury, VTDecember 12, 2018
worked there for about 2 years total, nice place. You get a free lunch and really get to know your co-workers and your boss will help you in whatever way they can
Pros
free lunch
Great staff and clean establishment!
Dishwasher (Current Employee) –  Middlebury, VTNovember 4, 2018
The staff is very friendly and the work environment is so welcoming! The establishment is very clean and everyone follows the rules. They are pretty lax and there are many jokes involved! As long as you do your job, you are bound to excel here.
Treasury Analyst (Former Employee) –  Middlebury, VTNovember 1, 2018
Loved working with everyone
Great pay & benefits
Very generous retirement plan
Ability to learn new skills
Collaborative atmosphere
Lots of time off
Multiple campuses
Pros
Great pay & benefits
Middlebury Institute
Employee (Current Employee) –  Monterey, CAOctober 28, 2018
Outstanding, committed staff extremely well qualified to in teach all of the disciplines offered by the Institute. But this excellent foundation of faculty and staff is chronically overshadowed by a clouded financial picture.
Pros
Total commitment to learning excellence, outstanding student cohort.
Cons
Difficult financial underpinning; limited ability to adjust to new instructional landscape.
Flexible and engaging work
Research Assistant Intern & Tutor (Former Employee) –  Middlebury, VTOctober 27, 2018
I would choose my own hours to work. My job requires me to be adaptive and flexible with my clients which is now a skill I posses. My managements have been excellent in giving feedback and setting my work for me. The hardest part of the job was balancing work with schooling. The most enjoyable part of my work was all the skills and extra knowledge I picked up.
Pros
Free food, good salary, flexible schedule
Cons
no benefits
Temporary 1st Cook (Current Employee) –  Middlebury, VTJuly 31, 2018
Professional atmosphere, Great family values, quality of life and creativity. Up to date food trends along with gluten free, dairy free, kosher meals and celeriac diets
Great summer job
Summer Camp Director (Current Employee) –  Middlebury, CTJune 26, 2018
This job as summer camp counselor is a great summer job. It is mostly staffed by kids going to school that are looking for part time work. The staff members are able to get close by doing activities outside of work such as basketball or soccer games. The camp is pretty simple-there are stations and the children are placed into groups that rotate through the stations. There is also snack and lunch.
Fantastic place to study and work
Media Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Monterey, CAJune 18, 2018
Middlebury Institute is one of the best colleges for International Studies. The Noproliferation and terrorism Studies Masters degree is the only program in the world.
Good place to work but...
LANDSCAPER/LABORER (Former Employee) –  Middlebury, VTMay 26, 2018
Work was 7:00 - 3:00ish with morning break (10 min) and Lunch (30). I learned a lot about field maintenance and working together as a team/crew to help keep the campus looking nice and buildings maintained properly.
The managers were all yes men, didn't stand up for their employees. Higher ups would get visited by the good idea fairy and pass it down and when told it was not feasible or didn't make sense to do it that way it was still enforced or made to happen regardless. Plenty of back biting, throwing each other under the bus in competition for better reviews for minuscule pay raises.
Hardest part of the job is not speaking up for fear of being singled out, reviewed poorly.
Best part of the job is that the fellow workers on the crews are good people and make the job bearable. It's a gorgeous campus and the workers take great pride in making it look good but are under appreciated and overlooked for advancement or compensation.
Pros
Great pay/benefits, Great location, Great Campus
Cons
"Yes Men" managers, throw you under the bus mentality for advancement, review system flawed for promotion/pay raises
Fun workplace.
Server / Utility Worker (Former Employee) –  Middlebury, VTMay 22, 2018
Hard-working and polite co-workers and nice employers. Thoroughly enjoyed my time there. I hope I can work there again in the near future. The food there was also excellent.
Pros
Free food, Good pay (for a kid), Reasonable hours, Close proximity to my house
Cons
Short breaks, Hot dishes out of dishwasher
Depends on the department
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Middlebury, VTApril 7, 2018
Of you work in any other department besides facilities or dinning, you're treated pretty good. Even if you're a hard working, honest, reliable etc... In facilities, especially custodial, it doesn't matter. Custodians are not treated well. whether you're a model employee or not. you're treated like you're stupid. If you try to speak up about an issue they turn it around and make you look like a trouble maker and you pay for it. They don't like people who speak up about the treatment of staff. I recommend any other department to work in. I worked in custodial to get by until something better came along. I would have stayed but can't handle the treatment.
Benefits
Cons
bad management
Collaborative and educational work environment
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Middlebury, VTFebruary 20, 2018
The professor I assisted is a kind, funny, patient and engaging teacher. She prepared students and got them excited to explore neuroanatomy, making it easy for me to rally the students even more and show them how interesting and fun the brain is.
Great place to Network and be challenged
Meta Lab Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Monterey, CAFebruary 9, 2018
As a Graduate Assistant, I had typical day to day duties, and on occasion would be given tasks that would be outside my realm of comfort. That being said, I was able to gain knowledge and experience through said challenges.
Wonderful People
Summer Intern and Annual Giving Affiliate (Current Employee) –  Middlebury, VTOctober 11, 2017
The people at the Office of Advancement are the reason I chose to work there! The actual day to day work is very tedious and mundane, but as for on campus jobs, this one has led to lots of great conversations and networking opportunities.
Great part time student job
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Middlebury, VTOctober 10, 2017
Great way to continue working in a lab setting while not in classes. Helps you learn by teaching others as well as get more comfortable with laboratory techniques.
Crooked management
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Middlebury, VTSeptember 22, 2017
This is a great place to work if you can handle the politics, crooked people, horrible treatment, half brained workers, butt kissers, liars....but otherwise, great benefits the pay is ok. The department I worked in treated the employees like children. most supervisors were ok but mine was a liar and just plain sneaky. Very strange department to work in, gotta put up with morons a lot.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
crooked managers
Inspired working place
Mandarin instructor (Former Employee) –  MiddleburySeptember 22, 2017
The inspired working place which can help you enhance your teaching ability. Not only the director but also the colleagues are intelligent and helpful.