Midland States Bank Employee Reviews

Midland life
Processor (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 31, 2018
Mostly inconsistent over all. One manager would say they want it this way, then the other would undermine the first. There was no real direction or any sort of real policy/procedures!
Pros
income
Cons
guidance and management.
no room for advancement and not enough pay
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Freeport, ILJuly 23, 2018
There is really no room for advancement unless you plan to move from the area or drive. The pay was not enough for the job duties that one is required to complete.
Pros
work hours
Cons
pay, no advancement
Relaxed place to work, felt like a big family
Wire Department Specialist (Former Employee) –  Effingham, ILJuly 12, 2018
Enjoyed the work and the people I worked for. They treated the employees fairly and raised were more than minimal. They were a thriving and growing corporation.
Pros
Relaxed, treated fairly
Cons
Taking turns working Saturday
Review
Personal Banker (Current Employee) –  Streator, ILMay 25, 2018
Midland is a great place to work. Enjoyable atmosphere. Great customer service. Midlands gives you room to improve yourself and your skills. You're eligible to move up within the company.
Great place to work!
Multifamily Loan Servicer (Current Employee) –  Weldon Spring, MOMarch 31, 2018
Open door policy, managers are always available to talk. Great culture! Growing bank with lots of opportunities! Great work / life balance. Good benefits.
May 18, 2018

We are extremely grateful for your review! We believe that business is all about people and the greatest compliments we can receive are those that highlight our commitment to our employees. We train and coach around a culture of empowerment, integrity and accountability, and want everyone in our team to feel equipped to meet the expectations of their position. You can count on every one of us doing our best to ensure we continue to be an employer of choice.

Waste of time.
Universal Banker (Former Employee) –  ILLINOISMarch 20, 2018
Company was extremely slow to give any feedback, after 3 interviews only to be told they are still interviewing other people. Requires an associate degree, only wants to pay 12 dollars an hour. HA!
Pros
Bank hours, federal holidays/weekends off
Cons
Poor management. Communication issues. High demands, low compensation.
Good and bad
Teller (Current Employee) –  IllinoisMarch 16, 2018
Immediate coworkers are amazing as well is the supervisor, wonderful people! However they do not promote within for supervisor positions which is disconcerting, and upper management is extremely difficult to deal with at times. They have no idea what is going on within the branch, yet make crucial decisions for the branch, when they spend maybe a half a day every 6 months or so at the branch. Also feel for a couple coworkers because I see how hard they work and aren't getting the recognition they deserve.
Pros
Compensation is decent for experienced workers, amazing immediate coworkers
Cons
Upper management, difficult and rare to move up
May 18, 2018

Thanks for taking the time to leave your review and some advice. I know that our leadership is committed to enabling a collaborative employee and customer centric team. Thank you for all that you do to make Midland the great organization that it is today and will continue to be in the future.

Exciting job, much responsibility
Market President (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILFebruary 25, 2018
Midland States Bank was a small, but a growing bank. With locations throughout Illinois, ours was one of the newest . My responsibility was to hire an entire team of individuals, help in the design and startup of the location in downtown Joliet, Il. I hired 12 people for the branch and supervised all.
Pros
Decision making, management of people.
Cons
Little respect for the position
Looking for direction
Senior Mortgage Processor (Former Employee) –  O'Fallon, MOFebruary 8, 2018
Midland is struggling to find itself in the St, Louis mortgage market and continues to hire management teams that have no reputation or presence in local organizations.
Pros
Ability to work from home
Cons
lack of training and oversight of management activities.
Fun place to work
UNIVERSAL BANKER II (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 3, 2018
Management listened well to comments, questions and concerns. The culture is one of the best I have yet to experience. Hardest part of the job was to know what customers wanted without asking directly.
May 18, 2018

Your words of encouragement make us feel proud of what we do. Businesses are mainly about people connecting to people and knowing that our management is on the ball makes us proud. We are always striving to maintain and foster a constructive culture so your feedback is very much appreciated. We hope that if future career opportunities become available that match your career aspirations you will consider us again!

I liked my job there too but they done away with my job
Loan Specialist (Former Employee) –  Effingham, ILDecember 7, 2017
I learned a lot at midland i put loan documents together and shipped them off to the servicer. I also like the people i worked with. I learned a lot about loan documents and what they meant about each loan
Solid company to work for/.
Universal Banker I (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 6, 2017
Midland States Bank suffers from a small town way of thinking. They do not advertise, expect the bankers to hit the streets and bring business and brand awareness.

They offer very limited training and expect you to fumble your way through it.
Pros
Great culture
Cons
Low pay and lack of formal traing
May 18, 2018

Thanks for the feedback. We are committed to creating a comfortable transparent and collaborative environment for all our employees so I’m disappointed to hear about some of your experiences. We value and consider all feedback and we’ll continue to find ways to improve but I wanted to address a couple of your specific concerns around marketing and training. First, as Midland matures we continuously look for ways to enhance training for all employees. We recently rolled out an expanded Universal Banker training program and a MASTER's program to identify top talent within the bank for future opportunities. We have also expanded our marketing with social media outreach. Each year we work diligently to ensure that we can compete in the market and look for improvements to our offerings to both customers and employees. Thank you for your ongoing contribution and feedback.

Good working place
Investor Reporting Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, MONovember 26, 2017
Good banking system,co-working are friendly. The hardest part of the job was perfecting because you are handling the investing and money issues.Management are professional and most enjoyable part of the job was monthly BBQ and senior managers cooked for employees.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
stress
Don't do it. It isn't worth it.
Universal Banker (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 8, 2017
They expect you to sell, even when you don't have customers coming through your branch. There is little to no training to help you, so I hope you've worked in a different bank before. There is a crazy amount of turnover, so I wouldn't get attached to anyone.

There is only one branch manager covering two branches, and in my experience, you are stuck without management help the majority of the time.

The only good thing about this job was the co workers, but we were all terrified we were going to get let go all the time.
It was an experience
Personal Banking Representative (Former Employee) –  Mendota, ILOctober 27, 2017
The best thing offered was a training program that improves oneself. Pacific Institute. Otherwise job security was not available with the way they push all the online services eliminating the need for a visit to the local branch.
I was temp. But the job was amazing!
Teller (Current Employee) –  Princeton, ILAugust 10, 2017
Everything was great. If you like numbers you can work in a fast pace environment and like to talk this is the job for you! Good training and continued training.
Not focused enough on employees
Retail banking (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 17, 2017
Great bank but poor employee management. They focus strongly on their culture but do not deliver. Sadly employees seem to just be a number. Beware of employee cuts to keep the budget down in order to afford expansion. Great banking products though and customer service.
Pros
Customer service, hours
Cons
No job security, lacks training, unorganized policies and procedures
Great opportunities for growth
Banking Center Manager (Former Employee) –  Freeport, ILApril 26, 2017
Midland States Bank offered a wonderful work environment with plenty of opportunity to grow. I had the flexibility from my supporting managers to manage my team how I saw fit while still adhering to the Midland cultural standard. In the two years I was with Midland I was able to promote an employee twice. I recognized the talent she exhibited and Midland put their faith in me to launch her as far forward as I could in the short time.
I was also able to launch my own career forward. There were so many opportunities to learn ew things that I could branch out in many ways.
I am very proud of the work that I did for Midland. If I find myself back in the Northern IL area, I will certainly be back the Midland.
No set Mission statement
Commercial Relationship Manager III (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILMarch 24, 2017
Hired to oversee the commercial loan department. The company was coming out of a C&D order from federal regulators. The overall experience and infrastructure of the loan department was poor and needed a complete over haul.
Pros
compensation package
Cons
lack of experience in senior managment.
Great Culture. Good Opportunities for Those That Want Them.
Marketing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Effingham, ILMarch 23, 2017
I have worked here for almost a year and it has been my best career experience. The work is challenging and you are thrown into the fire a little bit but the managers like to challenge you to do better and learn. While the work is challenging, management cares about the employees. My manager, and all managers I have met, are willing to work with me and help me grow. I enjoy working with all of my co-workers. Midland's culture is very encouraging and welcoming. It's not a perfect place, but you won't find many better company cultures than at Midland. Work hard, show desire to learn, and the company will work with you.
Pros
Growth opportunities. Culture.
Cons
Communication can be an issue at times.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Midland States Bank. Our community is ready to answer.