Midwest CBK Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Na
Outside Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  MNMarch 30, 2018
This company lack relevancy and is micromanaged where it doesn't matter. Does not pay enough for the amount work you do. YOU will run your vehicle in the ground and its expected.
Midwest CBK
Graphic Designer - Contract (Former Employee) –  Cannon Falls, MNJanuary 16, 2018
This was my first contract graphic design job out of school. Working at Midwest CBK was a wonderful experience. The design team was wonderful and very professional. Their products and catalogs are filled with beautiful home goods, so it was like working with eye candy every day and getting paid for it.

Catalog production is fun, but very intensive. It's like a SCRUM team - full blast for a few weeks. Very fun. Would work there again in a heartbeat.
Micromanaged, terrible work/life balance, low wage
ACCOUNT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Cannon Falls, MNJanuary 3, 2018
Overall terrible experience. Classic corporate greed and micromanagement of employees. Creating ones own schedule is attractive until all of the reports and micromanaging destroy your work/life balance and everything creeps into every part of your free time. Unprofessional work environment and poor management. Excellent training and a wonderful and pleasant way to make a living is unfortunately ruined by the way the company takes care of its own employees and clientele.
Pros
Discounts, wonderful clients
Cons
Absolutely lovely work soured by corporate along with many other specific cons
productive and sometimes stressful
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Union City, TNOctober 28, 2017
I had to make sure that products were pulled correctly and also that the box were packed appropriately. I monitored a whole pick line and put in products that had to be replaced.
Pros
very productive
Cons
hot in summer and cold in winter
Mwcbk
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Cannon Falls, MNOctober 18, 2017
I have worked sales for over 20 years, and have never worked for a company that lacked communication as this company. Although my sales goals were attained, I was constantly badgered by my manager. The company doesn't care about its customer base or its employees.
Pros
co workers & customers
Cons
poor management
Great product. Professional sales reps.
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  United StatesAugust 1, 2017
No work life balance-and they do not care. They blow through sales reps in rural markets because their business model is not set up to accomodate extensive travel. No office time is allowed and consequently, customer service suffers. We are expected to do our paperwork while sitting on thenside of the road. Laughable, but sad. Just be forewarned, they will tell you anything to get you on board. Reality is quite a different ball game.
Pros
Customers, product, co-workers
Cons
Unrealistic demands on personal time and travel.
Official response from Midwest CBK
November 1, 2017

Every applicant is interviewed by 2 managers and encouraged to talk with other reps so there is full disclosure during the hiring process. We're clear this is a demanding job working from a home office and covering a large territory. Essentially this is a road sales position and Account Managers are expected to be in the field selling from 9 am to 5 pm Monday through Friday. That's a pretty typical schedule for most full time jobs. We are generally paperless and technology driven. There are no nights required and reps work at trade shows 2-4 weekends per year. Most reps enjoy seeing and selling their customers every day.

You do need a high level of self discipline and time management skills to be successful and there is accountability for weekly sales performance. I've been a manager here for 8 years. We're sorry when people we hire and train leave for other opportunities but wish them all the best.

A Great Company with a lot to offer
Account Manager/Sales (Current Employee) –  Branson, MOMay 23, 2017
This job is not for everyone. But it's perfect for me. I love being in a different town everyday, seeing new faces and making new relationships with retailers.

The compensation is fair, the salary is enough to survive while building your territory, and the commissions give you the ability to live a comfortable life.

The benefits are good, with an amazing 5% match on your 401k.

Management is your biggest cheerleader. I feel comfortable approaching them with any issue, and them working with me to find a solution. They listen to the market and their teams to make sure we are competitive in the marketplace.

I've worked in wholesale for years, and this is by far my favorite company.
Pros
Benefits, Strength of company, products, environment.
Cons
Mileage on car.
Cold but easy
Packer (Former Employee) –  Union City, TN 38261May 12, 2017
It was a good and friendly atmosphere. The management was good and the coworkers worked great as a team. Everyone worked together to make sure that things was done accordingly.
Made boxes
Packer (Former Employee) –  Union City, TNJanuary 17, 2017
It was one of my most easier jobs. 3rd shift I enjoyed the people I worked with. It was warm aND I didn't have to fool with that cold chicken.
Nice place to work
Product Development Coordinator/Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cannon Falls, MNOctober 22, 2015
Nice place to work, good people. Comfortable workplace setting with flexibility to get my work done within my personal timeline.
Employee relationships were the best feature.
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Cannon Falls, MNSeptember 16, 2015
Due to recent ownership changes, the company has undergone several cut backs and re-alignments. The international parent company does not communicate effectively with the local team. The future of the company is never quite clear.
Wonderful Management staff and coworkers!!!
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Orange County and Riverside CountyAugust 13, 2015
I work throughout my territory in either Orange County or Riverside County. I have the discipline to work on my own, without a lot of structure and am also a great team player when working at various trade shows throughout the year.
What I have learned is that I have a natural facility for public contact and enjoy assessing my customers ever changing needs on a daily basis.
The hardest part of the job truly is dealing with traffic. How I have managed to get around that is by selecting libraries through out my territory. I plant myself there at the end of the day (during major traffic hours or down time) and basically finishing up my day or get ready for the next appt...submitting orders, checking or responding to emails, etc. Instead of having down time, wading through traffic, I can utilize that time constructively and then head home after the traffic breaks.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the Management, coworkers, customers and the product I am selling.
Pros
Great support daily and at Trade Shows!!!
Cons
Traffic....but I get around that everyday.
Unrealistic sales goals
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  MidwestApril 16, 2015
First I'll say I am a past employee and I have tried to write an honest informed review. There may be an edge to my words but its all the truth. When/if you interview asked them questions regarding what I'm telling you

The average day is out the door by 7:30 in the morning and return home after 6:00pm or later. Your expected to have a minimum of two appointments a day and write 2 orders a day and sell between $5,000-$10,000 a week. Some days you don't have a sale and I've been told you have to call your regional and explain why you are a failure. You spend a lot of time driving to your customers and some days it makes it tough to make more than 2 appointments a day. There is a lot of "your" time required to do the paper work and other required tasks, There is no time allowed during the week day so get ready to spend your evenings and weekends doing work because you need to be on the road selling to keep management happy, and you don't want to see them unhappy! You get a draw but it needs to be paid back once you start making your commission, IF you make your commission. The problem is that after couple months it seems you just keep digging a deeper whole that needs to be paid back before you will see any commission.

The hardest part of the job is the long hours and finding the customers and getting them to make the appointments. You are led to believe retailers are standing in line waiting for you to come to their store. This is not the case. There were "issues" in the past and a lot of "old" customers are leery of buying the line again

Your first year you get
  more... one week vacation!!! But you need to take it during the warehouse shut down in December, like everyone wants to take their vacation then. 4 whole sick days also. The benefits are pretty weak, the medical is expensive with a high deductible and isn't that good of coverage but I guess its better then nothing.

There is a $500 expense allowance but you need to earn it by driving mileage. Usually the mileage is far more than the allowance and you still need to spend your your money on office supplies and printing and there is a lot of printing to do. They send you update PDF and expect you to print them out, we all know how much printer ink costs.

You might get approved for their hotel expense, $75.00 a night, I wonder what type of hotel you can find today for $75.00. They don't cover any meals while over night either.

You are considered an employee but this is the first company I've worked for that doesn't cover your expenses while out doing their business.

The good....... I guess working with the retailers. They are mostly small retailers and generally nice people.

This is not the rainbows and sunshine company they make it out to be, there is a lot of pressure to perform.

Being the other reviews are not sales related that part of the company may be different.

Good Luck!
Pros
meeting and working with the retailers
Cons
no job security in the sales field, a lot of turnover because when you are new you can't meet the unrealistic daily/weekly sales quota.
Official response from Midwest CBK
April 11, 2016

Just wanted to add that the compensation structure has changed. It's now a salary (not draw) and we earn commission from the first dollars shipped. Much better deal! Still a lot of work but it can be fun.

Great company!
Product Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 22, 2015
I like product!
I enjoy people!
I like challenges and developing solutions.
Working at Midwest has brought all of those to my daily life.
I like working in a creative environment like Midwest CBK.
One of areas I have grown the most over the years is the ability to embrace change. I think in today marketplace it is crucial to be flexible and proactive when dealing with change.
Midwest-CBK
Senior Account Specialist/Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Union City, TNDecember 23, 2013
Answering phone calls from salespeople along the Eastern Cost from New York to Florida. Over saw the work of 8 to 10 employees who take calls from customers.
Fun part-time job
World Trade Center Showroom Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 21, 2013
I work in the Dallas showroom helping to unpack and prepare the product for the trade shows. Everyday is different and everyone is friendly and helpful. The product and displays are beautiful. If you work hard they show their appreciation and treat you with respect. That's not easy to find in a part time job.
Pros
Nice managers
Cons
Part time and temporary
A great place to work
Director of Distribution (Former Employee) –  Union City, TNJanuary 28, 2013
Great experience in the supply chain field. Was a very forward looking company but is now more of a storage location only.
Pros
good employees
Cons
to seclued
productive
factory (Former Employee) –  Union City, TNJanuary 22, 2013
It was very hot in there but the pay was all that mattered to me. I learned how to pick and pack boxes filled with different stuff. I also learned that working in a factory is not fun.! management was wonderful. hardest part was working in the heat but I had to get the job done. most enjoyable was when I got to meet different people and interact with them.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Midwest CBK. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.3InHerSight Score

2.0Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight