Midwest Dental Employee Reviews

Featured review
Midwest Dental selected this as a representative review
Small office with great patients
Dental Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WINovember 27, 2018
Working here was great. I had a great experience here, I have recommended friends to this office even after I left. Great employer. Flexible hours for employees and patients.
Worst place to work for
Dental Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bristol, CTFebruary 10, 2019
Worst place to work for! Worse than columbia dental! There was little to no communication from upper management. Was promised quarterly bonuses that we never got. No recognition for hard work or extra effort! Unfair treatment of employees, which I filed a complaint about through HR. Was never contacted about it and nothing got done. Did not get paid what I should have been making for the amount of responsibility/work load they expected from employees. When employees get written up, there is no chance to resolve the issue or defend yourself. Just disciplinary action. Sent an email regarding a write up to the regional manager and NEVER GOT A RESPONSE!
Pros
Cons
Low pay, no recognition, no job security
Do not recommend Midwest for experienced assistants.
Dental Assistant (Current Employee) –  Superior, WIFebruary 7, 2019
Very poor compensation for assistants with constantly added responsibilities. No production incentives as an assistant, wage increase...insulting. Micro managing by people with less experience than many of the productive employees.
Pros
Friday’s off
Cons
PTO sole source of time off and holiday compensation
Rapid Growth = Lot's of opportunity!
Manager (Current Employee) –  MN Support CenterJanuary 28, 2019
After a year with MD I can say it was a great decision to come aboard. Working with a company in rapid growth means you have to be agile to adapt to changes. Change isn't always easy but it can be very exciting to be part of. Support Center staff are hard working, supportive & fun to work with. Supporting over 220 dental offices can be challenging but also very rewarding.
Pros
Great people, work life balance, challenging & rewarding work
Cons
Dealing with company growing pains
This Company is a joke
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  WisconsinJanuary 23, 2019
Oh sure there’s all sorts of support from a higher above the only thing is they don’t listen to you you can complain ask for help over and over and over again and all your wants and needs go unheeded. Our RD is an absolute joke she NEVER came to our office or for that matter hardly called us to see if we were ok ( unless she wanted to yell about something that wasn’t done)
When the kill you with work, no lunch hours, no holiday pay, no raises, NO HELP I hate this place!!! Highly recommend you NEVER work here, in fact if you do quit now they’ll use you till you break!!!
Cons
See above
Hostile environment, poor managment
Customer service representative (Former Employee) –  St. Charles, MNJanuary 8, 2019
As a service rep floating between offices, driving an hour plus, no mileage comp. They talk about patients and about each other constantly. Would not recomend to a friend or family member. The gossiping is bad. And Poor management. With a high turnover.
Pros
Dental ins
Cons
Poor management and gossiping.
IT Technician/Helpdesk
IT Technician (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIDecember 19, 2018
***Honest review from a past employee***

The review will be broken down into two parts: 1.General Job description 2. Pay/salary etc.
Started at Midwest Dental at $15.50 an hour. The job itself is a call center job and basically you are on the phone pretty much all day, hang up and next call(that is unless you don't pick up calls and go on Do not disturb) Good job if your new to IT and just graduated. As a tech/helpdesk you are limited in what you can do with active directory(only reset passwords and can’t move users, add permissions or edited OU), no gpo access, and no infrastructure change permissions etc. (you are there to pick up calls and be the first line of defense) But you are open to troubleshoot printers, computer hardware issues and software issues pretty much basic issues in general with 3rd party vendor support. The raises a 1-2 percent so like 10-30 cents max. Long sitting, office environment, call center. Flexible schedules. PTO is slowly earned until your there one full year and then it can be earned faster. No paid holidays or sick days. You have to use your own pto to cover holidays. Overall a good job when trying to get experience. ( As a person looking for a job or career we look to apply to a position for the money so I wanted to be honest and real.) you will make 30-34k as a IT Technician. IT Support Engineers which are really conversion specialist for new offices make 38-40 k is what I heard. Overall, okay job if new to IT, downfall is it’s a call center. Upside is it’s a job with benefits. Management was not as good when I was there. The manager
  more... played musical chairs with people and it was like high school all over honestly. There was a lot of broken promises to employees and when there was any employee input upper management didn’t take it well.  less
Pros
Flexible work. Office environment.
Cons
No paid Holidays or sick days. Mirco-managed. Low salaries and low raises.
Company is very hostile towards IT
IT Technician (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIDecember 14, 2018
IT is chronically understaffed with high turnover.

Turnover is due to low pay, high stress (expected to ship, prep, and install hardware while being on the phones and answering tickets).

Rather than hire IT staff for one of the service centers someone from the 6 person IT team is expected to travel there as needed.

The software used is running on 10+ year old hardware and is always slow, which means IT gets yelled at over something we can't control on a daily basis.
Pros
It's a job. Good dental plan.
Cons
Hostile upper management, no advancement, low pay, understaffed, mutually exclusive goals given to IT by management
This place is your typical Corporate dental office-
Dental Assistant (Former Employee) –  IllinoisNovember 22, 2018
Understaffed, the front desk girl asked for help repeatedly and never got it! The work environment sucks, the Upper Management is no help at all, paperwork is absurd and the only thing they care about is money!!! Run and when you think you can’t run anymore run faster.. I’ve been gone for months and couldn’t be happier
review
Insurance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mondovi, WIOctober 24, 2018
Working in a small town and you have managers that are from that small town they are intimidated and unable to preform the way they should. I found being a insurance specialist one of the easiest jobs I have ever done. I feel the manager was lacking in her confidence in what she did and never stepped up to be a manager. I feel expectations were different pending on who you are.
Cons
management
Awesome place to work
Dental Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Pontiac, ILOctober 23, 2018
I have worked for Midwest Dental for almost 2 years. I do quite a bit of traveling for the company. I enjoy the fact being able to travel to other offices and help where I can. The compensation is fantastic. Benefits are awesome if you have a family. Management is fantastic from Office level to upper management. Flexibility is fantastic and they work with you to help you be the best you can be. They offer many opportunities for cross-training in different areas or departments. This is definitely a company who does their absolute best and caring for their patients and their staff. With this company there is always an opportunity for advancement.
Hygienist - Bristol, CT
Dental Hygienist (Current Employee) –  Bristol, CTSeptember 18, 2018
The Bristol, CT location is a wonderful place to work. Excellent office manager, overall entire staff is very friendly. Typically work from 7-9 hours daily 4 days a week. Both dentists in the practice are wonderful and truly care about each patients needs. Flexible schedule for those who need any time off to care for loved ones. If working full time, dental benefits are included in a package along with accrued PTO.
Pros
Always get lunch breaks
Cons
unpaid holidays
Lack of Advancement
Professional Service Representative (Current Employee) –  IllinoisAugust 10, 2018
Dental program and computers always slow, under staffed, not paid enough for what is expected. No room for advancement. Would not recommend working for Midwest Dental
Pros
I like the people I work with and the patients
Cons
Under staffed, under paid, dental program and computers slow
good place to work
Dental Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manitowoc, WIJuly 27, 2018
overall good place to work, hours get to be long sometimes with emergencies (expeced in this field)
overall management is good and hours are good.
co-workers are friendly and helpful
Avoid
Dental Assistant (Former Employee) –  Midwest DerbyJuly 8, 2018
Unfortunately I chose to leave due to lack of communication within the practice. I worked with the company for 7 months. Shortly after starting when I had found out that your PTO was to be used to cover holidays, as they are not paid to you, that was not going to allow any sick time or vacation time. You sign an agreement to work 40hrs, fulltime. But whenever the doctor is off you are to take off, if the office is closed you are forced to take leave. You end up losing money and vacation by this. Not worth it. I've been in the field 20yrs now and never have I had been lied to or information withheld from you in the interview etc. No staff meetings, communication is terrible, drama is not dealt with or allowed, scheduling appointments and saying yes to patients because it's "Production" yet patient quality care and their time is sacrificed because the practice wants to get the patients in no matter what. My advice is if you have other options seek those first before accepting the role with Midwest Dental. Compensation does not cover the loss of paid holidays, and the extra time off during the year the office takes.
Cons
Overworked, quality patient care at risk, poor communication, no follow through, no paid holidays, PTO is vacation and sick pay combined
For a professional position this place is a joke
Dental Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chippewa Falls, WIJuly 1, 2018
Management is the biggest quack ever and only they are right. Always being sent home if it’s slow which is daily. Asked to do things after hours and not be paid. No paid holidays. Benefits are better at your average minimum wage paying job. Insurance is not affordable. Out Christmas bonus was like a $200 check that was split amongst everyone. So each got about $33. Management does not keep you informed of upcoming changes. They are in charge of your PTO. So if the Dr takes a day off, management will make you use your PTO for that. Pay is on the lowest side of dentistry by about $9 per hour. If you give your opinion it’s considered as insubordination and ones have been terminated for that. High turn over in dentist and they do not keep you informed of the changes which results in patient decline and lack of work. In my 11 years of working in dentistry this is the worst place I have been at by far.
Pros
One hour lunch.
Cons
If it’s slow you have to punch out, nonpaid holidays, poor incentives, lack of communication
Worst place to work
REGISTERED DENTAL HYGIENIST (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 14, 2018
The company is production driver! They do not care about their employees hence the hugh turnover rate! Too much mincromangaing and not letting the doctor chose for themselves
Management is a joke
Dental Assistant, RDA (Former Employee) –  Waverly, IAJune 7, 2018
My manager was NOT good and when this was brought to the attention of the superior managers nothing was done. I was forced to leave due to lack of manager accountability. And I absolutely loved the office and the company I worked for everything they stood for was something I could get behind but when my manager started attacking me nothing was done. very disappointing.
dental assistant
Lead Dental Assistant (Current Employee) –  Green Bay, WIMay 21, 2018
I have become very dishearted with the company. They are very money driven and not employee focused. Their employees are not valued for their loyalty or experience. They are constantly under staffed due to corporate lack of being in reality of what day to day clinic life is like.
Pros
excellent dental benefits
Cons
no holiday pay, no clothing allowance even though scrubs are mandatory along with OSHA approved shoes.
unorganized
Reception/Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Beloit, WI 53511May 3, 2018
To much drama to deal with for the pay and drive. Nothing was getting accomplished. Don't believe the respect and care of dentist to patients was truthful
IT Technician
IT Technician (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIApril 14, 2018
I have work at Midwest Dental a while. But recently finally quit after searching for a new job for a while. The pay is not great compare to other jobs around the area considering the job title, which should be a professional job. The title IT Technician is really just a call center position. You are on the phone pretty much from the time you walk in until the time you leave. They will straight up tell you this position is a entry level position hint why the pay is so little. You WILL no make 33-40k(28-32k is pretty where you start out at). You pretty much never have any PTO as it is earn very very slowly. The Heath benefits is not that good either. BUT you do have free dental so take it if you can.
On more of a IT side of things. You have very little control in Active Directory and can only do one thing. Only control you have is to reset passwords. THAT'S it. You can't create, add role groups etc. You are pretty much picking up calls and helping clinics fix local pc issues,ISP connection issues, and proprietary software. Also you do configure sonic walls. You really dont have much management in the system you cant even clear out old computer names so you have to title the new one pc a different name. hmmm..thats about it besides picking up calls when your there. Overall if i was to have the title of an IT Technician as the title states, I would assume that the position would have more management abilities to control things within the network.
In my eyes its really just a call center position and upper level people there will tell you the same thing as well. They have
  more... a pretty high turn over ratio for this position, they come and go pretty much.
Overall a good place to get started IF you just graduated or looking for a job, not a career.
Pros
its a job
Cons
healthcare, No real IT experience, call center

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Midwest Dental. Our community is ready to answer.