Midwest Eye Consultants Employee Reviews

Extremely disappointed
Optician (Former Employee) –  Rochester, INJune 30, 2019
This is for the Rochester office, and I honestly feel if I had been at any other location I would have thrived at this company. The manager at this location is unbelievable, unprofessional, and entirely too concerned with office gossip and drama. The training I received for my position was done in about 1/4 of the time as the other person working the same position. I was expected (by the manager and assistant manager) to be completely self sufficient by the end of my 3rd week working with patients. This was my first job ever working with insurance or in a medical office. Seeing the manager at the way she did made me understand the turnover rate at this office.
Money Driven, stressful
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Granger, INJune 26, 2019
Being an eye doctors office, Midwest Eye Consultants has set standard of practice to diagnotic test evey patient for more money. This entails billing medical insurance and then patient is told they have to come back a second time to get a refraction so they can bill the vision insurance then. Pateients would then complain they were seeing their eye doc more than any doctor and paying high bills for testing they really didn't need.
Pros
non
Cons
Micro Managed
Couldn’t pay me enough to work here
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Wabash, INApril 2, 2019
There was very little to NO training, well past the 90 days. No raises like the promise in interviews. Bosses are afraid of employees so don’t expect any issues to be resolved.
Pros
Easy to work around appointments
Cons
Management has no power over employees.
Worst job ever
Optometric Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INApril 1, 2019
I didn’t get paid enough to deal with what I had to deal with working here. Felt like being in high school all over again. They will over work you as much as possible for little pay.
Pros
Sometimes coworkers had birthdays so there was cake
Cons
Wonderful job, terrible management and company.
TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INMarch 18, 2019
I wouldn't recommend this job to anyone with children, as management does not care if your child is sick or you have a family emergency, they will point you anyways. This company gives no sick days or paid sick time. You earn very minimal PTO with each pay period. You are not allowed to take time off without having PTO or take any unpaid time off. This company likes to make up rules as they go. The job itself is wonderful, the management and office drama makes it unbearable.
Pros
hour lunch
Cons
unorganized, always short staffed
If you want to feel undervalued, work here
Technician (Former Employee) –  IndianaMarch 13, 2019
This is my experience of Midwest Eye. I didn't intend to quit, I got fired because of my "lack of improvement" and I didn't "fit in" with the others, I was there a few months and they let me go. I was trying my best everyday and I felt undervalued. The PTO is awful and you only get one week paid after a year. It was almost impossible to get a day off or leave early/come in late. The hours were the exact times of Dr's appointments,ect so I had to cancel appointments because there wasn't enough coverage. There is a high turn-over rate. There was always a lot to learn which is good that there is always something new. But downside is if you don't pick up super fast, they let you go as they did to me. I was told that the benefits are super expensive and aren't very good (besides Vision). My manager was great, except the fact that she fired me. Certain people there never clocked out for lunches and never got in trouble. They got away with so many things while I was there. Being on their phones while on the clock, ect. But, when I suddenly don't pick up as fast (but feel as if I am gradually improving) they let me go. Atleast, I clocked out for lunch. The plus side is that, I enjoyed the customer interaction. Great vision insurance. Overrall, don't work here and I should've read the reviews first before applying. Not a good company to work for. Very clique, and unprofessional. The girls always left me out of there conversations and excluded me. The best time of the day was going home and going to lunch so I could get away.
Pros
1 hour lunch, got out in time, always something to do
Cons
Clique, Feeling Undervalued
Patients, doctor and office staff are the best thing about this place.
Primary Care Office Manager (Former Employee) –  IndianaFebruary 28, 2019
Upper management is rude, unsupportive, and very clique tight. For a company that is mainly women you’d think they’d be encouraging and supportive, but they are very degrading to one another. Every person you come in contact with tells you to do the same thing but in a different way. The lack of communication and not feeling as a united team was really disappointing and discouraging. Hopefully it won’t always be that way.
Pros
Patients, doctors, office coworkers
Cons
Upper management, lack of support and clear communication
If you value human decency, don't work here.
Patient Services Check-In (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INFebruary 28, 2019
The environment was trashy catty girls and if you weren't that type then they looked down on you. Made fun of patients, didn't seem to want to help anyone who was a mild inconvenience, and the manager is a liar and out for herself only. This is a place with zero compassion and shouldn't be allowed in the medical field.
Pros
Benefits.
Cons
Literally everything else.
Fantastic work environment
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Oregon, OHFebruary 26, 2019
I nearly have quit nursing three times in my 10 year career but this place is what has changed my mind. I love going to work as I have supportive managers and a great team of coworkers. The work is fast paced and busy but it's an upbeat, positive environment where everyone pitches in to get work done. It's very fulfilling working with our patients, helping them get more clear vision. The surgeons are great to work with, very easygoing compared to most doctors I've worked with. It is a great opportunity for nurses looking to enter surgery, a field typically more difficult to enter without experience.
Pros
Great management and coworkers, team work, positive environment, time for lunch, excellent vision benefits
Cons
Limited hours, lack of advancement opportunities
Great Team/ Great Culture
Optician (Current Employee) –  Kokomo, INFebruary 15, 2019
I have worked as a Optician for this company for 9 months after staying home for over 5 years. I was a little nervous going back to work after such a long time but this team has welcomed me with open arms. They have taken the time to train me and develop me both professionally and personally. I am so thankful to find a place that truly cares about people and that I fit in with so well.
Pros
Lots of appreciation, good pay and benefits, friendly work environment
Cons
Flexibliity
supportive fast paced environment
Customer Service Liaison (Former Employee) –  Wabash, INFebruary 13, 2019
fast paced environment, customer service driven. challenging to create ways to shorten turn around time for glasses. challenging to answer one hundred plus phone calls per day.
Pros
management
Cons
inflexibility in schedule
Plenty of advancement opportunities
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Wabash, INFebruary 13, 2019
Midwest Eye Consultants hires to train and I was given many opportunities for advancement. They are big on promoting from within. I enjoy my working there.
Busy
N/A (Current Employee) –  IndianaFebruary 11, 2019
No Accountability, favoritism in Work place..pay not gono. Management and training could be better..Managers are not trained...managers in positions without knowing how to do job.
Pros
Lunch
Cons
Managers not trained
Wouldn't Recommend, At Least This Location
Patient Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INJanuary 22, 2019
Under appreciated and overworked for the amount of pay. The manager at my location was awful and always put their employees down, never encouraged new employees only pointed out faults. Lied about the training of new employee to deny a fellow coworker a promotion without new employees input. Overall the work isn't terrible, just make sure the management is good!
Pros
Vision Benefits
Cons
Poor management, not enough pay for work done
I plan to retire from here, best company I’ve ever worked for
Billing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INNovember 3, 2018
I understand some have not had the experience i got but i think the culture and values the company has are amazing. The education and learning never ends but that’s because things constantly change whether they be new tests doctors must do or a change in payer billing guidelines. I have received several promotions and raises but i have also put my entire drive into some projects I’ve done and i give 100% at my work daily so i would hope they would see the initiative and drive i have, and they did. So I’m sorry for all who have had poor experiences. I literally wake up excited to go do my job, i love it!
Pros
Great work environment and coworkers!
Cons
Pto does take a while to accrue
Great meeting new people
Patient Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INNovember 1, 2018
The company is a decent company that has okay core values, but i feel it has grown to big to fast and is dealing with the ramifications of it. additionally For the area the rate of pay needs reevaluated. It would be okay in smaller areas or towns, but for Fort wayne it is under par.
Pros
1hr lunch break, Cross training, fun atmosphere at the right facilities
Cons
Turn over rate, Rate of pay for fort wayne
Midwest Eye Consultants
Optician (Former Employee) –  Angola, INSeptember 24, 2018
I worked at Midwest Eye Consultants for a short time, but it seemed like a good place to work. Management seemed to truly care about their associates.
Very unorganized
Manager (Former Employee) –  Oregon, OHSeptember 4, 2018
They claim to be a process driven company, however, they are very unorganized. Their headquarters are in Indiana and they don’t have control over their Ohio offices.
A HORRIBLE experience
Optician (Former Employee) –  Marion, INJuly 29, 2018
THE worst job ive ever had. Management is horrible. The doctors are very rude and judgemental and the staff doesnt make you feel like part of the team.
Pros
1 hour lunch
Cons
The way they make you feel about yourself
Productive atmosphere
Patient Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Beech Grove, INJuly 21, 2018
I would recommend anyone to work for this company. Overall you can learn so much if you are willing to learn something new everyday. If you are interested in Healthcare great job to get started.
Pros
Hours and Benefits
Cons
Bootcamp training

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Midwest Eye Consultants. Our community is ready to answer.