Midwest Janitorial Service, Inc. Employee Reviews

Horrible management
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  IowaMay 16, 2019
Horrible management. Supervisor can be better with getting supplies to employees. Never checks in to see how things are going. Mjs is a joke. Never give credit to the workers that bust their butt. If you aren’t a butt kisser your good work won’t get acknowledged. Definitely need new management.
Pros
Unsupervised
Cons
No raises, don’t acknowledge hard workers.
July 14, 2019

We are so sorry to hear to you had a poor experience working with MJS. We would greatly appreciate you contacting us so provide additional information so we can address your concerns.

Gland to work at MJS
Cleaning (Former Employee) –  Clive, IAMarch 4, 2019
So i'm so proud for working at MJS i experienced cleaning serving and not just it help me for jobs but at home i can be clen too sometimes. Even though Midwest Junitorial Service couldn't pay me high of the hard work i was putting in but it's worth it.
Fun and productive
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Dubuque, IAFebruary 19, 2019
Nice place to work for also has plenty of places and hours to work. Sets your schedule accordingly to you and your hours to work which is something most jobs won't do.
The job was solitary
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAOctober 23, 2018
Most the places I cleaned were businesses that were already closed so it could be somewhat solitary. However, there were times that occasional employees still there & it was nice to talk with some of them & break up the solitude.
Pros
Work at a steady, but comfortable pace
Cons
Could be a very lonely place
July 14, 2019

Thank you for your comments. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to do. We have multiple facilities so if someone ever finds themselves in a facility that is not a good fit for them (ex. cleaning by yourself) please let us know. We want the job to be a good fit for you and will try to accommodate anything you need. In this case maybe a larger facility with co-workers would have been better for you.

Terrible place to be employed
Person (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJune 11, 2018
I won't write a review? I won't lower my standards to them.
They are liars,and thieves! Too many hands in the pot that didn't even know half of the job site or sites.
Never believe what you say or no backing from management. Half of the Supervisors are gone or wish they were.
One inspection could cost you your job. And be careful who does your inspection
He's probably the biggest liar and thief.
Pros
Not much
Cons
So much
July 14, 2019

I am so sorry to hear you had a poor experience working for us. Please contact us directly to provide additional information so we can look into your concerns.

Flexible hours. Good part time job
Janitorial Worker (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJune 4, 2018
I enjoyed working here. The hours were flexible and management was easy to work with. Pay was low and no benefits but all in all pretty good for a part time job.
July 14, 2019

Thank you for your comments. We are glad you enjoyed working with us.

Reviews: You've Gotta Be Kidding Me
Custodian Worker (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMarch 23, 2018
I read all the rosy reviews and couldn't believe it. Makes it sound like employees 'whistle while they work' right out of a Disney movie.

If you work here, be prepared to experience a horrible clock in / clock out system. It's always busy and I've had to dial non stop for 15 minutes to clock in.

Managment decisions are odd and often way off. What they DO focus on is using the white glove test to show you where you missed. And you will be written up for some cleaning infractions that are highly skeptical. Would be nice if they picked up a broom while they were inspecting your work.

When it's time to get your check, be sure to scour it for errors. There will be some. Good luck getting them fixed. The employee is never right. They will even threaten to not pay you or worse.

So many things are just 50 times harder than they should be. If you go into the office to discuss something, be prepared for a long wait as the management chit chats with each other.

Don't believe all the planted positive comments here. When it comes down to it, you will be cleaning toilets, bathrooms, vacuuming and emptying stinky trash cans. One was so bad that I had to drag to a dumpster; I threw up.

Some of the people at the companies where you will be working will be wonderful. Others make it clear that you are 'the help' and expect no eye contact.

And this is hard work. You will sweat and over-do it and the body aches will remind you. You will run to the washing machine AND shower when your shift is over. This week's work disaster was finding a bucket and removing
  more... 'items' that had been left in a toilet. (Someone must not have been having a good day.)

Always watch your step...wet floors, snowy/icy sidewalks, and wet steps. I've ended up bruised, cut and scraped while on the job.

Know you know.
Pros
Their checks haven't bounced yet
Cons
many listed
July 14, 2019

I am sorry to hear you had a poor experience working for us. Please contact us directly to provide additional information so we can address your concerns. Cleaning is hard work. Some facilities definitely can be harder then others. We always want employees to know they can transfer to other open facilities if they are not happy with their current placement.
We hope we hear from you to get some specifics so we can address. You can reach us as 1-800-249-6161 - just ask for HR.

Midwest janitoral
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAJanuary 17, 2018
If i could of stayed with them i would know more then what i do but i was there 6months it was independent work cleaning sweeping mopping taking out garbage cleaning bathrooms
Pros
Short hours
Cons
No benifits
Good pay
Cleaning staff (Current Employee) –  Rock Island, ILNovember 19, 2017
Relaxed, easy going, hard worker and great place to works and great managers and u 401k and good hours and you work an easy pace and it's a great place to work overall a great place to work and good pay
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Hours
I was usually left to accept responsibilities on my own.
Building Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IANovember 8, 2017
My last position was Building Supervisor. I was responsible for 6 other custodians as well as cleaning the Executive Offices, training new custodians, making sure all building and areas were staffed and cleaned at scheduled times, did final daily walk-through, made certain all areas were locked at appropriate times, ordered cleaning supplies, paper products and coffee.
Pros
The trust that was shown me.
Cons
Having to clean another custodian's area when that person didn't show up.
Good work place
Floor Technician (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJune 6, 2017
Really friendly people easy work always smiling co workers and supervisers where there to help when needed could have been a little more hours of work but it was fun and very educational
Fun and Simple
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJanuary 29, 2017
I was part time and it satisfied my needs at the time. The work is simple and can be done with ease. The people are cooperative and make the task at hand achievable.
Always showing appreciation for my work
custodian (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJanuary 24, 2017
My manager has always told me how much they appreciate my work and my ability to get to work on a daily basis as scheduled. If a customer tells the manager that your doing a good job you get clean bucks which can be turned in for gift cards. I really like that you are shown gratitude for your hard work with a great performance based program like this.
Pros
Appreciative, flexible, easy going
Cons
really have to ensure you take the time to monitor your time
Custodian Worker (Current Employee) –  Davenport, IADecember 30, 2016
Midwest Janitorial is one of the best companies I've ever worked for, they tell me they appreciate the work I do and I also help management when needed. Great working relationships at MWJ!!!
Good Part-Time Job
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IADecember 10, 2016
Flexible hours and positions. Easy work. Good part-time job. Let's me start when I need to.
I have had no problems getting paid or with timekeeping system. Clock in and out on phone. Have to wait till it says good by or won't work.
flexible
custodian (Current Employee) –  Hiawatha, IASeptember 7, 2016
This is a great part-time job. It is very flexible. I work M-F for 2 hours but I can start work as early as 6PM or as late at 9PM. I just have to let my supervisor know. After training, I was able to work by myself and get into my own groove. My supervisor is nice.
I haven't had any major issues with the clock in and clock out system. Several times, I have had to call more than once, but it worked in the end and twice it didn't work but I called the office the next day with the time and they fixed it. My paycheck has always been right.
Pros
...flexible schedule and helpful supervisor.
Cons
...that I have to have a part-time job because my day job doesn't pay enough.
Family Oriented and Family Run Company
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Davenport, IASeptember 2, 2016
I have worked for Midwest for years and they have always worked with me anytime I have had a family event that I wanted to attend or my children had a sporting or schooling event that I needed to be present at. Overall I would have to say that Midwest has always encouraged me to put my family first and has always been willing to help me adjust my schedule to make it possible for me to be present for my family when I am needed. Whether it be them letting me come in early or come in later than normal to complete my tasks they have always made it possible for me to be able to be present for my family events.
Work you to do and not pay you
Employee (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAAugust 8, 2016
I agree with the other poster on the time keeping system. Very hard to get missed hours paid for if at all.
Supervisors are worked minimum 10 hours per day and often 12. And paid salary. Upper management only cares about getting warm bodies to show up for work. No benifets for going above and beyond and they treat you bad. They are always short staffed so if you want a $9 hrs job cleaning toilets and never get a raise this is the job for you.
On pay days you have go to the office between 2:30-5:00 to get you check but you must also bring all you dirty rags ,moppheads and cleaning bottles to exchange.
Pros
Though to get fired even if you do a bad job. They need bodies
Cons
Getting paid for missed hours almost impossible. Micromanaged. No direct deposit.
Problematic Clock In/Out System
Custodian (Current Employee) –  North Liberty, IAJanuary 28, 2016
Midwest is too cheap to pay for a third-party telephone time-clock system. Instead they use an in-house system riddled with problems. Routinely when you try to clock in or out the system isn't working at all or gets part way through the process and then malfunctions. This results in employees frequently not getting paid on time for the hours they've worked. The company then drags its feet paying the employee, making them fill out paper work and jump through various hoops in order to get paid weeks later. Plus there is no way for an employee to check to see if the system has accurately recorded the hours they've worked before the end of the pay period. The work is not demanding and the supervisors and co-workers I've met so far are nice enough people. But not being able to rely on an accurate and timely paycheck is very frustrating.
Pros
Undemanding work. Flexible hours. Nice co-workers.
Cons
Telephone time-clock frequently malfunctions. Can't rely on accurate and timely paychecks.
Great Place To Work!!!
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Dubuque, IANovember 2, 2015
Very friendly and helpful management. Expectations are very reasonable. Work is for the self motivated types. If you require constant supervision this isn't the place for you.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Midwest Janitorial Service, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Midwest Janitorial Service, Inc. Reviews by Location