MidwestOne Bank Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Great place to work as long as you don't want to advance
Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, IAFebruary 7, 2018
MidWestOne is a great place to work. The customers are fun and friendly and my coworkers are some of the best people I know. The pay and benefits are good. My managers have always been good to me and I genuinely like them. We are frequently short staffed which makes the job more difficult since we are already busy.
The company does not promote from within unless you want to work at the company headquarters in Iowa City. Many of my coworkers have applied for positions that open up at their branch and the company hires off the street instead of taking the time to train the loyal employees they already have. We lose a lot of employees because of the lack of training and advancement. I would recommend MidWestOne as long as you are happy doing the same job for most, if not all of your career. You won't find a better group of coworkers. We all get along well and have a lot of fun working together.
Pros
Relaxed, friendly environment
Cons
Short staffed and lack of loyalty to existing employees
Community bank with Iowa and Minnesota footprint
VP COMMERCIAL/AG LENDING (Current Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IAOctober 2, 2017
Good sized community bank with competitive pay and benefits but generic-type products and services

Internal training and opportunities for young bankers to grow and learn although balance of process and procedures is not always conducive to serving customers' needs

Limited locations
Great organization
Senior Regional Credit Officer (Former Employee) –  Conrad, IAJune 21, 2017
MWO has an excellent organization along with a wide footprint. Very results driven, but with outstanding support to help ensure success. Employees are appreciated and well compensated.
Pros
Great Culture
All about the money
Staff Accountant (Current Employee) –  Iowa City, IAMay 18, 2017
Company does not really follow 1 of their operating principles which is Hire & retain excellent employees. They have laid off long time employees in Minnesota.
seasonal, family owned, bagging, cash register, preparing food
Teller (Former Employee) –  White Bear Lake, MNJanuary 17, 2017
This job was seasonal. I worked September through deemer both years I worked there. My first year I stocked shelves, bagged at the cash register and sorted apples on a factory belt. My second year I worked the cash register, and prepared food. I had decent management. The apple orchard was family owned so that was a unique experience. They were great with scheduling. Most of my coworkers were my age so I was able to make friends while working. For me the hardest part of the job was standing for so long, and the fast pace. Both were things I eventually got used to . My favorite part of the job was working for a small family owned business and meeting other people in my community,
Pros
great starter job, fun coworkers, great food
Cons
short breaks, little pay, seasonal
Great job culture and co workers
Teller (Former Employee) –  Chisago City, MNJanuary 3, 2017
The overall attitude of the bank was always in high spirits. The employees were fun and uplifting. Our customers knew us on a personal basis and we to them.
Pros
Forming new relationships
Cons
high turnover
growth motivated
Vice President & Credit Administration (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IADecember 22, 2016
Local branch lost decision making once merger was complete.
Many decisions were controlled by main location. Very structured and limited opportunity outside main location.
Always receiving gifts
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Oskaloosa, IANovember 21, 2014
I really enjoyed the customers I met at MidWestOne Bank. Out of 18 branches, I received the most friendliest Receptionist award. I was pretty proud of that! My coworkers are still my friends and I took another job to better my children's future or I would still be there. I did the supply ordering and clothing orders. Pretty much enjoyed running the receptionist area.
Pros
Free dinners and holiday parties
Cons
No advancement
Great people to work with.
Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Fort Madison, IAOctober 1, 2014
Human Resource Representative. Was liaison between Union and Management. Kept grievances on schedule. Rated Jobs as needed.
Hardest part of the job....trying to keep everyone happy. Most enjoyable part of the job was to have answers and work well in a group.
Pros
Great people to work with.
Cons
Stress due to being liasion.
Very good work situation
Loan Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IADecember 18, 2013
Some days were busier than others. During tax season (February/March and August/September) it was crazy busy. My boss was very laid back and very flexible with the work schedule. There was a good mix of co-workers, some long time employees and some newer. The hardest part of the job was working with someone who had been there longer than me not knowing his job. It was the expectation of me to take on a lot of his workload because he couldn't handle it and train him in basic job skills. I was never trained on his job so it was difficult. I really enjoyed getting accounts to balance to daily and monthly as well as paying escrowed property taxes.
Great company culture
Service Banker (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAJuly 7, 2012
•Small group of 7-9 employees offered expert advice and assistance to internal and external customers in Eastern Iowa
•Processed advanced account inquiries, wire transfers, online banking and debit card troubleshooting, banking policies and regulations, and any other banking needs