Mike's Carwash Employee Reviews

Great work environment for someone to start off in
Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Anderson, OHMay 7, 2018
Caring employees and managers that feels like a family. Very supportive of their employees and promotes from within. Working days in extreme cold or heat can be miserable but is all in all a great experience.
Fun place to work be prepared for weather
Associate (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHApril 23, 2018
this job is outdoors, be prepared for all weather. In the summer the weather gets up to 90 degrees and the uniform is heavy. In the winter you still have to spray cars down, water and cold mixed means you will freeze.
Overall, a very fun place to work. Winters can be stressful, and managers can be lazy requiring others to pick up the slack.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  West Chester, OHJanuary 31, 2018
I would recommend for a part time job, but management/full time is not worth it. They do offer competitive pay and good benefits. But running the location can be impossible at times when support personnel is getting in the way or making your job more difficult than it already is. Moral of the story here is, working at a Carwash isn’t as easy as it may sound.
Pros
Decent pay, good benefits
Cons
Long hours at time, seasonal business, could work every weekend, long hours, working in the elements (outside)
Decent Job
Customer service associate (Former Employee) –  Mason, OHJanuary 11, 2018
For me, I was just getting out of the military and starting college and when I started college they weren't very understanding of when I had projects to do and was unable to come into work.
Not the best place for management
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Beavercreek, OHOctober 24, 2017
Lack of leadership. Long work hours leading to a horrible work life balance. The culture is all about them and how they can advance themselves and not how they can advance their people.
Pros
Always hours to be had.
Cons
Long days, short breaks, overboard leadership
Fun close-knit group with hard working conditions
Wash Associate (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHSeptember 27, 2017
The job isn't a bad job but they have really high expectations and working conditions that require you to be in the weather no matter what. Uniforms are strict, rules are strict, and constantly have to be busy.
Fun easy place to work with good pay
Car Wash Attendant (Former Employee) –  Granger, INSeptember 20, 2017
I really liked working for mikes but it lacked any kind of challenge aside from their book sale challenge. (Each book was worth a certain amount of points and the prize was cash/vacation days for full time employees.) It was slow most of the time so things were very repetitive and mind numbing since cleaning, selling or wash attendant were the only job duties. When it was busy it was really fun and the day flew on by. The managers were awesome, fun and really upbeat. Even on slow days you could count on them to make it interesting in one fashion or another. The only issue I had with it was that everyone seemed to be very willing to do what everyone else was doing. There didn't seemed to be much individuality. Other than that full time benefits and paid vacation days were awesome to have.
Pros
Free carwash per week, lots of perks and opportunities for extra cash
Cons
Very repetitive, drink the cool aid social environment, not consistently steady.
Fun work place
Assistant Management (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJune 23, 2017
Enjoyed working with my associates, fixing needed items, I did learn a lot at the job. Dealing with upset customers was the hardest part of the job, doable. I had some issues with my managers at first they all had to sit down and take with our GM to get things resolved.
Fun and productive place to work
Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INJune 20, 2017
Working at mikes was very fun. it was a great place for me to make lifelong friends and do something enjoyable rather than stare at the clock waiting for my shift to end.
fun work place
Associate (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INMarch 13, 2017
A typical day would be working outside and talking to customers. I have learned a bunch from working at Mike's Car wash. I started with I was 16 and I have grown as a person since I have been working there. I graduated high school and I started college which I have decided to double major in criminal justice and paramedic science. Mike's have supported me through out all of it and I thank them for that.
Pros
fun employees
Cons
9 hour shifts
Great company!
Team Leader/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INJanuary 22, 2017
loved working here, lots of good people. good company structure and opportunity for advancement. You have to be able to deal with the different climate changes though.
Pros
good work environment
Cons
early days sometimes for managers
Fun , friendly, safe place to work
Associate - Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INNovember 7, 2016
Mike's Carwash is a great place to work with a lot of opportunities for growth. Customer service is the key to this business being successful and they do a fantastic job at stressing it every single day. I have enjoyed my 3 1/2 years at Mike's and the opportunities they have enabled me to have. They have allowed me to grow into a leadership role and improve my customer service skills tremendously while allowing me to have great relationships with my coworkers.
Pros
Great Experience
Cons
Short breaks
Great Employer
Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INOctober 10, 2016
Fast paced work environment, Fun energetic people, friendly customers. They teach effective teamwork and multitasking skills. The hardest part of the job is adjusting to the weather but the best part is the lifelong experience you gain.
Good place to work if you like the outdoors-
Supervisor/Manager (Current Employee) –  Beavercreek, OHApril 7, 2016
Fast paced environment and always outside, hot or cold.
Customer Service is what this place is built on, even more so than the service provided.
An awesome place to work with some of the most amazing people ever!
Full Time Associate (Current Employee) –  Granger, INDecember 27, 2015
I have loved working at Mike's for the past two and a half years! They are very picky about who they hire to make sure that everyone fits in and makes a great team. Everyone I have ever worked with has been amazing and the managers are all great. They are VERY good about adjusting to your schedule, whether it be school, a second job, or even if you have plans with a friend! They also pay very well and it is an all over great place to work! They also offer lots of benefits including tuition reimbursement and healthcare!
Great job to build management experience
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INOctober 27, 2015
It was a good job. The schedule was to random once I had my daughter. I would work until 11pm one day and then have to be in a 4 am the next day at least once a week.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
schedule
Overall a pretty good place to work, and positive atmosphere.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  EvansvilleSeptember 7, 2015
Started as a Wash Associate, worked my way up to Supervisor pretty quickly. The training was overall okay, a bit slow paced which is good for some people.
Short staffed locations but a company full of fun people
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INMay 7, 2015
Far and away the best part of working at Mike's is getting to be around some really fun, hard-working people. Mike's is pretty meticulous in their hiring, and it typically results having a team full of jovial, fun-to-be-around teammates.

Another benefit of Mike's is the opportunity for advancement. I can attest to this first-hand, as I moved from a full-time associate to an assistant manager (three promotions) in a 12-month period. If you work hard, go above and beyond for customers and have a desire to move up, they will accommodate you.

For a high-school or college student, Mike's is a fantastic first place of employment. They schedule around classes and are a well-respected company that looks good on a resume. However, it's not an easy job, and the working conditions can be pretty tough in the winter.

As for cons, there are a couple.

Two years ago, Mike's lowered the prices on their unlimited wash packages, where customers pay a flat rate every month and can wash as often as they'd like. It's a great deal for customers, but it's been brutal for employees. Stores are just consistently busier than they used to be, and it wears on employees. Working at Mike's resulted in me gaining a ton of respect for the employees of Starbucks and McDonald's, because they're even busier than we are. Some customers who have an unlimited pass will come through every day -- literally every single day -- whether their car is dirty or not. It's not the customer's fault; they are just taking advantage of the current program. But the constant busyness has resulted in the overworking
  more... of team members, both management and associates.

That has led directly to the second con: short-staffed locations. In the past two years, especially in the Fort Wayne market, managers have been fleeing from Mike's like it's the Black Plague. Every manager has their own reasons for leaving, but for most of us, it was tied to the previous paragraph. In my opinion, lowering the unlimited program was probably the best thing the company's ever done financially, but it was the worst thing for the well-being and morale of their employees. It changed everything, and the company has been a little slow to evolve to the increase in business. With so many managers leaving the company, the managers that are left have been forced to run the store short-handed, which leads to being overworked. Ultimately, it's a snowball effect, because then the managers still there start looking for other jobs and wind up leaving, too.

Lastly, the winters are brutal, and it's our busiest time of the year, with customers wanting to remove salt from their vehicles. Mike's offers some stout winter gear -- jackets, hats, fleeces, etc -- but having to stand outside for 60 consecutive minutes in single-digit temperatures will suck the life out of anyone. As a manager, we are told to "rotate" employees in and out of the cold, which sounds like a stellar plan, but there is hardly ever a time where there is enough staffing at the store to do that. I know there were times where I was honestly uncomfortable working for a company that subjected their employees -- many of which are 17-18 year-old kids -- to that kind of brutal cold. You're probably thinking I'm a whimp, but next winter when you're scraping off the windows of your car in the blistering cold, think about doing that for an hour straight while having to put on a smile to interact with customers. Then, you get a five-minute breather inside before you're back out in the cold. It's just awful; there's no other way to put it.

There are some annoying times when dealing with customers. When you interact with 500-1,000 people in a shift, there are bound to be some situations where a customer is rude, etc. For the most part, though, Mike's customers are great and appreciate and respect Mike's.

I don't want this to sound like I'm ripping my old employer. I'm not, and I told them all of this during my exit interview. At the end of the day, I like Mike's, and I enjoyed my time there. I met some great friends. Mike's is a good company, and I think they will get their current staffing nightmare figured out. It will, however, take a substantial amount of time to get the company fully staffed with managers. I think the company's decision makers are taking to heart what they're hearing in all the exit interviews they've conducted recently. I hope they are, because they have to make some changes or they run the risk of not having enough managers to run their stores.
Pros
Fun teammates, excellent training
Cons
Constantly busy, brutal winters, overworked
Fun Place to work and very upbeat
Payroll Administrator (Former Employee) –  Loveland, OhioFebruary 5, 2015
1.A typical day at work would set your goals and complete them daily
2.The hardest part of the job was being given task and management not following up on how your process was going.
3.Co-workers friendly and positive energy
Pros
Free Carwash
Cons
Late notifications on changes
Great place to work!
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Florence, KYJuly 2, 2014
I would deal with customers in the drive and collect money from them as well as sprey the fronts of vehicle and other customer requests. As far as a management role, I would handle closing and opening the location, training and hiring of new associates, customer complaints and damages, and maintenance tasks. I learned and incredible amount from the managers around me and the ones above me as well from when I first started all the way until now.
Pros
People that I work with
Cons
Working in the weather extremes

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mike's Carwash. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2