Military Deli & Bakery Services Employee Reviews

Decent
Customer service to guest of Deli (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COApril 14, 2018
It was a well paying job for what it was. 12.12 and hour to work part-time was not bad. like all jobs of this nature it had its issues but the company seemed to attempt at making it better.
It is a great place to work.We were all working together as a team. I helped all of my employees in what ever they needed help doing.
Deli & Bakery Manager (Former Employee) –  Edwards AFB, CAApril 5, 2018
I started my day at 6:00 am and the store opened at 8:00 am. I start in the bakery and turn on the ovens and proofer then I go to sushi and check all dates then I go to the deli and start the chicken and then check the dates. Then I go to the bakery and look and see what bread, and rolls I need to make for the day. I inventory what I have on hand then write down what I need then I make a sink of hot soapy water and a sink of cold sanitize. I then cut up the bread to make the rolls that I need then I get everything in the proofer and put the muffins and the pastry's in the oven. I go back to the deli and I make a sink of hot soapy water and a sink of cold sanitize then I check all dates then slice all the meat, cheese, and veggies for sandwiches for the day in between slicing I check the oven until the muffins and pastry's are done baking. Then I take inventory of what I need to stock in the deli then I go to the bakery and inventory what I need to stock in the bakery then I check the bread and start putting bread into the oven. I go to the freezer and pull everything I need for the bakery and deli then I check the oven and pull out what is done and put what is ready in the oven and while I am baking I tag all of the product for the bakery and get the bakery stocked and finish baking. When I am done baking I go back to the deli tag the product and get it out. Then I fill the salad case and make the salads that I need. Then I pull out the chicken bag each one tag it and get it out in the warmer. Then the store opens, and I stay in the deli helping customers until my next employee  more... starts their shift at 8:30 am then I go to the bakery and package all the bread and rolls that I baked while serving customers. After I get it all bagged, labeled, and put out on the shelves I start my daily paperwork daily sales, weekly sales, daily ordering, creating schedules once a week based on sales, safety meetings once a month, and inventory in the deli and bakery once a month. Check the sanitize every 2 hours in the deli, bakery, and sushi. Decorate cakes, keep the departments stocked, build any displays that need to be built, help out in the deli, and give my employees all of their breaks. Check sushi's dates before I leave for the day. I worked 50 to 55 hours a week.
I learned how to make every customer have a great experience and how to make every customer happy I also learned how to teach every employee in great customer service. I learned how to multitask, order from multiple venders weekly and manage my ordering by inventorying what I have on hand, looking to see what is coming in, and sales. I learned how to fill out the paperwork for our sales, man per hour, how to increase sales, how to write schedules according to sales, how to keep up to date with all safety regulations, knowing MSDS, OASHA, and the health department regulations and maintaining them, I learned how to create a potential safety hazard, create a safety meeting, and administer safety meetings. How to read applications and to perform interviews, how to send applicants for a drug test and a physical, how to make sure all new hire packets are done correctly. How to be able to run multiple departments at once. I learned how to write up job performances, written warnings, and terminations and administer them although during all terminations HR was on speaker phone encase there were any problems, if the employee wanted to talk to HR, or if there were any questions that HR could only answer. I learned how to solve problems at my location and at other locations.
Management was great when I needed anything my District Manager was on top of it. Anything I needed from HR she was quick to get it to me.
We had a great work place environment. We all worked together as a team helping each other out with whatever each employee need help doing. I helped all of my employees in whatever they needed help doing. We all worked great together side by side and we were able to get a lot of work done working this way.
The hardest part of the job was write up job performances, written warnings, and terminations and administer them.
The best part of my job was serving and talking to customers and working with all of my employees.
Pros
Everything I was able to learn, all of the awards I received, and the way I advanced in the company.
Cons
The healthcare was not that good.
Fast Paced and Well Paid
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  EdwardsMarch 11, 2018
This is a fast paced and well paid job for anyone with or without food service experience. Customer service is easy with such wonderful military related customers.
Pros
The pay.
Cons
Short breaks
Fast paced with always something to do
Deli and Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Moreno Valley, CAMarch 8, 2018
Military Deli and Bakery Services is a good place to work. It is fast paced and there is always to something to do. Being that your job takes place at a commissary, you assist a lot of military personnel, veterans, and families.
Busy work environment
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Virginia BeachMarch 1, 2018
There was always work to be done which I personally loved. I learned how to lead a team, work with a team, multitask, and work under pressure. The management above helped me improve my leading skills and trusted me with the jobs when they were not present. The hardest part of the job was keeping the shelves fully stocked throughout the day due to the amount of service we received daily.
Pros
Always work
Cons
Short breaks
A horrible work enviroment
a member (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXFebruary 21, 2018
I do not recommend this company! The management is very poor. There is no respect for a balance of home and work life. The people who suck up are advanced while the people who work hard are overlooked constantly!
Lots of work little hours.
Baker (Former Employee) –  Fort Eustis, VAFebruary 8, 2018
I was scheduled 5 hours a day to complete what felt like 6-7 hours of work. On top of that I only got 20 hours a week. I also didn't receive much training.
Great Company
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  North Pole, AKFebruary 1, 2018
I loved my time at MDBS. I appreciate that they promote from within; I worked my up very quickly and I learned a lot each time I promoted. There was a lack of management training when I started but I know it has been recognized and addressed.
I got along with my coworkers
Deli Worker (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNJanuary 17, 2018
My fellow coworkers worked hard to try to make things function properly each day, but it was a struggle. It always felt the management was against us.
Pros
30 minute breaks.
Cons
The management didn’t seem to care about us.
Mdbs
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Clovis, NMJanuary 8, 2018
MDBS required total commitment to the position without little support. They do not respond to issues. It is difficult to work in the environment created by the company.

Want to know more about Military Deli & Bakery Services?

Ask a question
No good reason to say you would like this job. Lots of cleaning
Deli worker (Former Employee) –  Fort ordDecember 29, 2017
It was not good since base was closed so little hours A lot of cleaning. If you want to try something your fired. If u dnt give good help ur fired there was so much wrong the seniority workerssteal there but get away with it.
Pros
Cons
Can not eat or get anything free here
No pay raises and horrible policies and expectations
Deli Associate (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 20, 2017
As a closer they expect you to go above and beyond. Only problem is that if you follow all the policies how it's supposed to then you won't finish on time. Management and district management expect all partimers to have open availability. If not then they will hire full time employees and more party time ones. This means that your hours get dropped to below 20 sometimes even just 10 a week. They offer no discounts or any other benefits besides 40 hours of vacation after a year and paid holidays. I would only recommend this job as a temporary one and nothing more.
Cons
Short breaks/no breaks, unrealistic expectations
Stressful work place
Cake Decorator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 1, 2017
Lack of communication
No team work, everyone is for them self when is no supervisor around. Manager choose or have a favor of her employees and those person can get away with a lot of things
Cons
No short Break most of time
Overall
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Schofield, HINovember 1, 2017
This was an overall good job, constantly kept me busy with the things i had to do. The people were awesome team! It was definitely a face pace environment with a high demand.
Great place to work.
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Maxwell AFB, ALOctober 26, 2017
I would go back in a heart beat. The management was awesome and the pay was good for the job. Customer service is a skill so endure you are a people person,
it is only good for as a temporary job
Deli Associate (Current Employee) –  Fort Campbell, KYSeptember 20, 2017
This is only good for a temporary job especially someone who moves a lot. There is no advancement or a pay rise. You are overworked more than you get paid for.
Decent place to work
Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Peterson AFB, COAugust 21, 2017
Working here is an overall pleasant experience. People are nice, the work is not too hard, and any managers I have had have been very flexible with the schedule. However, after working here for a little over two years it is disheartening to see grocery stores with similar positions offer more pay and better benefits. Other than this, MDBS has been great to work for.
Pros
Flexible schedules, good management
Cons
No advancement, low pay
A great place to work and help and serve military personnel
Title Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Langley, VAJuly 17, 2017
I decorate cakes, help customers, take food orders, learned how to bake, build schedules, do daily demos, learned how to do payroll, inventories, stock the floors, and displays
Productive company
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 13, 2017
Deliver donuts to military grocery stores using a company vehicle. The hardest part of the job is the traffic Love interacting with customers each day
Pros
customer interaction
Cons
traffic, healthcare
Productive and fun workplace with such great co-workers. We work well as team players
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kaneohe, HIJune 1, 2017
When I started working their we went through 3 managers. But as far as our co-workers we were able to adjust to the change. By the time we got to our third manager we all fit like a glove. She worked with us and the deli area work smoothly. We had holiday contest and I was their top seller in which I received a $25.00 gift card!

The hardest part of the job is when our oven broke down and we had to drive 45 minutes to the nearest commissary to bake our fresh bread, and another time when the chicken rotisserie oven broke down and we had to wait 4 days before we received our new rotisserie oven. Our production was down.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Bakery area was short handed on the week days