Mills College Employee Reviews

4.2
Ratings breakdown
Secure location
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAFebruary 7, 2018
Work was slow paced and not computerized. Lots of excess paper and collating. Attention focused more on the students and not a lot of advancement for staff.
Pros
Cons
No room for advancement
Peer Tutor/ Teachers Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAJanuary 26, 2018
Wonderful place of work. The school environment is extremely collaborative and supportive with room for growth. Work place is also very understanding when circumstances arise.
Fun place to work, creative work environment
Graduate Assistant, Student Services (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAJanuary 25, 2018
I enjoyed working with a boss that valued my opinions and gave me the creative freedom to grow. I worked a lot on excel and help organize events on campus.
Very liberal and relaxing place.
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAJanuary 21, 2018
I'm an international student of Mills College and have an on-campus job. Mostly faculty members and students are very supportive and understanding. Since this school is traditional woman (for undergrads), private, and liberal school, the ambiance of the school is quite liberal. This makes everyone here to feel always welcomed like your home. This school's culture encourages every student and even faculty members to be unique (being ourselves) with strong cooperative relationships.
Pros
Good environment.
Cons
The location is inconvenient for commuters by transportation.
Review
Externship Student (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJanuary 2, 2018
based on position, there were little to no real interaction with management for needed technical guidance or support. Although training was provided, it was quick and short. It lacked the clarity needed to properly facilitate projects correctly.
There was also an expected standard of knowledge one needed to have, even though the position was an internship program (where on the job training was promised). There was limited training in all aspects of the IT environment, which provided missing one the job training needed.
Pros
Exposed to many different academic environments, and practice on customer service skills
Cons
Lack of exposure to a variety of IT areas for on the job training
Human Resources
Assistant Human Resources Director (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CADecember 27, 2017
Very hard for me to fire someone. My personality is more of the caretaker, did not like when the employee would cry when I had to fire them. Once they took away the benefit of college for my two daughter's (I was a single mom) I was given the opportunity to work closer to home and flexible hours starting out as a Realtor's Assistant before getting my license as an Agent myself.
Pros
Made great friends
Cons
Commute and long hours
Internship
N/A (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAOctober 14, 2017
This was an internship for work study and future career advancement. I learned a lot about what working as an Athletic Trainer looks like. The environment was very relaxed and rewarding as I got to maintain and use some of the state of the art equipment at the time.
Pros
Fun environment
troubled but improving
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAAugust 23, 2017
School is/was going through a period of poor management and an identity crisis but were making many and hard efforts to improve those areas. In my time there, not much room for growth could be found.
Public Safety Officer (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAAugust 17, 2017
Mills College is beautiful place to work. It's a gated private/public campus with victorian buildings, grassy fields and lots of trees. I recommend working here for early-mid level entry officers that are ready to patrol campus, perform building checks and escorts to students.
Pros
Flexible work schedule. Great if you have children and/school etc.
Benefits
Unhealthy working environment
Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAAugust 9, 2017
Managment needs management training. Human resources department is unstable and manages to retain the socially inept employees. Job security, staff morale, and 403(b) retirement match or contribution do not exist. Ageism exists.

But Mills wasn't always like this, it once was a smooth running institution that wasn't toxic. But with the current administration and management, it is going down hill and management has no shame and does not have consideration for staff that is actually doing the work.

Hopefully, Mills will be the power house it once was, but not with this current management.
Pros
Campus wide July Friday half days (if your manager will let you participate).
Cons
Some power hungry managers, no 403(b) retirement match or contribution, ageism.
Strong mission, engaged employees, beautiful campus
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAJune 21, 2017
I've enjoyed my time working at Mills. The employees and professors are wonderful and care about the school and students, and the mission is important. I wish the best for the school's future.
Pros
People, pretty campus
Cons
salary
Ok
Helpdesk Specialist (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAMay 11, 2017
Mills is a good place to get your feet set and learn some professional skills. People are friendly and helpful, if not driven. Things slip between the cracks and there is a forgiving nature in general accross campus. A good place to get started in your career.
Pros
Beautiful campus, Nice Retirement match etc
Cons
no advancement opportunities, tonedeaf upper management
I attended Mills college for a BA in studio arts.
Student (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAMay 2, 2017
My experience as a student at Mills college was absolutely wonderful. My teachers were truly dedicated and supportive. The school environment was conducive to learning and helping each student to reach their potential. I consider myself as one of those students!
Pros
Happy and positive learning environment
Cons
Almost everyone experienced stress during exams
Going through a rough identity transformation
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAMay 1, 2017
Many systems and protocols are dated, school was not run very well for a long time by a poor president and neglectful board and has been going through painful reorganization for years. multiple rounds of layoffs, hiring freezes, salary freezes had been in place for my entire 5 years working there. No opportunity in many departments.
Pros
Moral boost of working in education sector
Cons
not much room for growth, little stability
Unique Work Environment
Coach (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAAugust 21, 2016
Loved working with the Mills students and collaborating with my colleagues and supervisor. Hopeful about the potential institutional impact of the incoming president.
Fun and productive workplace in the heart of Oakland
Admissions Office Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJuly 11, 2016
Mills College is a very accepting environment. The Admissions Office is a seasonally busy environment, with the bulk of applications being submitted and processed between January and April. My co-workers and I enjoyed a slightly less formal relationship with each other and were always willing to lend a hand during events and long-term projects. Supervisors are understanding of both personal and professional conflicts that may arise, though management could be slightly more organized with a clearer chain of command on large events and projects.
Productive and friendly environment.
Graduate Assistant, Office of Graduate Admissions (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAMay 20, 2016
On a typical day, I am in the office, working on a project. My morning starts with a review of all voicemail, including transferring the message, and responding to the callers. Then I work on whichever project has been assigned on Trello (a separate website for time management, and projects) unless specifically told to work on one project over another. After a while I may move to the front depending on if I have to give a tour or if the original Front Desk ambassador has called out.
Pros
Great people, and warm environment.
Cons
Short breaks, and limited scheduling.
poor leadership
academic advisor (Former Employee) –  Upward Bound ProgramDecember 1, 2015
I worked at Mills college and found poor leadership, and tough working conditions especially in Upward Bound. I would not recommend working at this college at this time. The president is leaving after this year, and the college is changing from it's history of a liberal arts college for undergraduate women to something else not yet defined.
Pros
in Oakland
Cons
poor working conditions
Small liberal arts college
Undergraduate research student (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAMay 23, 2015
Mills College is a small liberal arts college, which allows for plenty of student-teacher interactions. There are some research opportunities for undergraduates to obtain research experience.
Pros
Small size
Great school, good people
Reader (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAMay 20, 2015
As a student worker, high minimum wage in Oakland is a plus, and people working in the offices are friendly and kind. They are not the most organized or fast at doing paperwork though