Milton Hershey School Employee Reviews

Very stressful and high paced
Medical staff assistant/scheduler (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAJuly 15, 2018
The medical department is very high paced and stressful. A person will need to be very organized and have patience to work in this area. Must be very flexible at any moment during a days time do to things changing rapidly. This area is very under staffed.
Amazing Place to Work
Horsemanship Intern (Former Employee) –  Locustdale BarnJune 23, 2018
The Milton Hershey School is an amazing workplace. Everyone around you is supportive and the community as a whole is so positive. What really makes working there wonderful is the collaboration between students and staff.
Pros
Free Lunches, Great People
Cook
Waiter/Cook (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAJune 19, 2018
Cooking is my passion! But I find that the hardest thing I had to deal with, was cooking for more then 1000 people. After hardworking practice I managed to excel at feeding numerous people. My favorite part about cooking is watching people expressions when they taste the food. Knowing that the are satisfied and content with their meal. Most of all I enjoy working with my team.
think MiltonHershey was a good place to work .
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAJune 14, 2018
I work at Milton. Hershey in the early 2000 l was working thur a temp agency l.didn't have any benefit work in kitchen do stocking and cleaning a doing varsity of different. job mu supervisor was great to me l.truely enjoy going to work.
Beautiful concept for great kids/terrible management
Dental Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAApril 28, 2018
I loved working at MHS but the job was stressful and people would lie and sabotage your work. I enjoyed working with the kids but the management and HR does not care about longevity of employees or the reason they are there, THE KIDS! Milton would be disappointed in what has become of his school.
Pros
Benefits, free lunches, the kids
Cons
Poor management, bully mentality
May 29, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns. It helps us learn about specific areas of the work experience we can improve. I see that you’ve moved on to a new opportunity, but if you’d like to dive deeper into your review, please reach out: recruitment@mhs-pa.org.

great students and good benefits
Academic (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAApril 24, 2018
The Students are wonderful and great to work with. The management and human resources is a problem. Management bullies and lacks respect for employees and students. Dishonesty is the norm.
Pros
Great students, and mission Good benefits
Cons
Bad management
May 29, 2018

We appreciate you providing a review. Mutual respect is a sacred value here at MHS, so to hear you felt disrespected and feel the students were disrespected is troublesome. If you are willing, I would like to connect with you offline to hear more about your concerns. recruitment@mhs-pa.org.

Culture and Benefits Great
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAMarch 25, 2018
I enjoyed my time working there. It was fast paced and exciting work. I left because I became pregnant with my second child and wanted to work part-time and that was not available in the position I was in.
Benefits
Cons
Not flexible
April 12, 2018

Congratulations! We wish you and your family the very best of luck with your newborn! Thanks for taking the time to leave a kind review.

Hard work but fulfilling
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAMarch 22, 2018
The kids are great. The management is terrible. They do not care about the employees or the students. They say they do but in reality they are only there to get rich.
April 12, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns. I'd love to connect offline and dig into some of the areas of concern you have. Feel free to reach out and best of luck in your future endeavors:
recruitment@mhs-pa.org.

a typical day at work every day is a different day.
Certified Nurse's Aide (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAMarch 14, 2018
I've learned in understanding the students situations where they come from. Working with children is no easy task but knowing and understanding them makes it easier to work with.

Management is management you have the ups and downs you have side with some and not with others. I think Management will be much better now since they have a new Management person which she goes by the book. and is a very nice person and very conscientious.
The work place culture is a very great place to work, you work with a variety of people and students .

The hardest part of the job is seeing a honor roll student with his(her)
1st offense and getting kicked out of the school. They loose everything and scholarship.

The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to interact with everyone , and learning from all different cultures and when a student calls you by your name, comes up to you and inform you how well they did due to your talk you had with them. How they have accomplish some goals. that makes your day!!
Pros
excellent pay, free food., is family oriented people are caring..
Cons
no benefits, no pd vacation, no sick leave for PT workers, union comes 1st if you want a FT job. That's looking for a needle in a hay stack.
March 16, 2018

Thank you for your comments. We are happy to hear you feel management is moving in the right direction. You are right, every day has their ups and downs, but every day is worth it because you have the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of our students. We greatly appreciate the time you spent with us, and the care you provided for our students! Best wishes in all of your future endeavors!

Noble mission a great place to make a huge difference
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAMarch 12, 2018
This school and home is an amazing place to be a part of. I am so proud that I gave 42 years of my career to this worthy position. Only retirement would keep me from continuing my full time efforts at MHS.
March 14, 2018

Wow! 42 years is amazing! Thank you for your years of service at MHS and commitment to our mission. We wish you the very best in retirement!

Student
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAMarch 3, 2018
This is a private school. I worked here as a student. it is for underprivileged kids. Residential k-12 school. Great teachers and houseparents. Rules suck tho
March 14, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We're glad to hear you liked your teachers and houseparents. We feel they are incredible as well! Thank you for also sharing your thoughts on the rules as well. If there are any in particular that you would like to bring to our attention, please email me: recruitment@mhs-pa.org.

Very educational experience
Shampoo Tech (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAFebruary 19, 2018
I truly loved working at this school. Not only was I able to be a student but I was able to teach others as well. I would highly recommend working at the Milton Hershey School in any position.
March 2, 2018

Hi there - thanks for taking the time to write up this review. We're happy that you had such a positive experience!

Excellent place to work
Transitional Living Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Hershey, PAFebruary 12, 2018
Child limit in Home Life programs
Not a flexible schedule
Non-typical working hours
Lots of opportunity for personal and professional growth
Fun, inviting atmosphere
March 2, 2018

Hi - thanks for taking the time to write up this review. We appreciate your willingness to share with others a little bit about your experience here!

Fun
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAFebruary 10, 2018
It was a maintenance job and a summer job. So it was pretty hot and full of muscle, but it was a great job. I went to the school so I knew . everyone.
Pros
Free lunch, good Pay
Cons
Really Hot
March 2, 2018

We're glad to hear you loved it here (minus the hot weather) and appreciate you sharing your experience.

Hardest Job You Will Ever Love
House Parent (Current Employee) –  Hershey, PAJanuary 23, 2018
I spend most days with 12 high school girls, getting them ready to be self sufficient young ladies when they graduate from high school. I deal with academic difficulties, family difficulties and every day drama. I have personal relationships with my girls, the ones still with me and the ones who have graduated. I have the best job in the world.
Pros
Money for college, safe enviroment
March 2, 2018

Thank you so much for your feedback! Houseparenting is demanding, but it's a career that's worth every minute!

Outstanding!
Employee (Current Employee) –  Hershey, PADecember 2, 2017
The greatest residential school in the world with a noble and truly purpose filled mission to nurture & educate children in financial and social need to lead fulfilling and productive lives in perpetuity.
March 2, 2018

We appreciate the great review. We strive to carry out the dream and vision of Mr. and Mrs. Hershey!

great place
House Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Hershey, PANovember 20, 2017
great place to work with children, great pay and benefits. good staff and co-workers, advancement opportunities. very fulfilling in helping children in life
Pros
great benifits
March 2, 2018

Thank you for your kind review and for your service at Milton Hershey School!

A dynamic educational facility for children with serious needs
Third Grade Teacher/Fifth Grade Teacher (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAOctober 19, 2017
Every day was unique.
I was always educated and was encouraged to acquire my master's degree which I did at their expense.
The management was very detailed.
The workplace culture was very nice.
The hardest part of the job, was the amount of paperwork.
The most enjouable part of the job was the children I had the pleasure of teaching.
Pros
The children I educated
Cons
N/a
March 2, 2018

We're glad you loved it here and appreciate you sharing your experience. We wish you the very best in your future endeavors!

Dedicated
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hershey, PAOctober 19, 2017
when i started here at the school i found the challenges of the job very rewarding. the staff was great tow work with, but as the years have gone on the outlook of the job is not the same anymore.
March 2, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and express your concerns. I'm sorry to hear your outlook has changed. If you'd be willing, I'd love to connect offline to discuss your concerns. Feel free to reach out: recruitment@mhs-pa.org

Sweetest Place on Earth
Alumni Relations Intern (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAOctober 12, 2017
Milton Hershey School was the best place I have ever worked. I loved my time there and think that they really know how to treat their employees, students, and anyone else who come in contact with the school.
March 2, 2018

We're thrilled to hear you loved your time here. We hope you are doing well today!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Milton Hershey School. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2