Milwaukee Area Technical College Employee Reviews

One person in charge
Legal Specialist (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 15, 2019
This was the most difficult place I have ever worked because one person was over HR Facilities and Marketing. You could not honestly express any grievances.
Poor work conditions and pay for the part-time instructors
Instructor (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WINovember 30, 2018
The hourly pay for the instructors is indeed very high, but part-time instructors get paid based on the amount of students that are enrolled in the course, not the amount of hours. Not to mention that the class preparation in not paid at all. The enrollment of students is very low. This unfortunately is never mentioned in the contract. A hiring office is not very honest with the work conditions for the new instructors.
MATC Summary
CULINARY ARTS INSTRUCTOR (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 5, 2018
MATC is a beneficial organization within the community. As a public, two-year comprehensive technical college, MATC offers exceptional educational and training opportunities and services to our diverse metropolitan area by engaging with partners to advance the quality of life for our students and community. MATC is the premier comprehensive technical college that provides excellence in education to enrich, empower and transform lives.
MATC Focuses on the success of students attending a technical college.
Office & Finance Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 2, 2018
I thoroughly enjoy working at MATC. I have a wonderful manager that allows you to work independently and also as a team player. The company believes in giving back to the community where it's employees volunteer their time to help meet the needs of the community. Relaxed atmosphere to work in and the people are friendly and professional.
Pros
Promotes success for students.
Cons
the union isn't as strong as it used to be.
Part-time. Far More Work Than You Are Paid For!
Part-time Instructor (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee CampusSeptember 27, 2018
The amount of money I had to spend in supplies, parking, printing (because I did not have an office to which in-house printing could be delivered) and time that had to be spent on grading, entering grades, setting up BB, etc. was not compensated accordingly. The part-time office is shared by all part-time employees and did not even have a computer and printer for support. The mail boxes were located so far away from the classrooms you needed to arrive a half an hour early just to wonder the building in time to try to set up your lesson in the possible 10 minutes between classes.

At the beginning of each semester, classroom assignments were a nightmare. For example, you were assigned a room for which you did not have keys and was likely completely irrelevant to your subject matter. If you had a night assignment, you had to call security to open the room door. How unprofessional does that make you appear?

If you don't mind dragging your materials back and forth, parking in a free lot 2 blocks away (particularly challenging in the winter), paying at least half of your salary for health insurance and generally like being disrespected then this is the job for you!

Most enjoyable part of the job...many of the students I had the privilege to meet, hear their stories and hopefully, provide the encouragement to continue!
Pros
Teaching
Cons
Matc
it was good.
Student (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WISeptember 26, 2018
gave me a little change in my pocket. it was a good stepping stone. helped me get more familiar with my class and teachers. it wasnt a career just a stepping stone.
Matc is a terrible place to work
Part Time Faculty (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WISeptember 26, 2018
If you like being treated like you are worthless you will love being employed at Matc. The administration belittles employees and will do whatever they can to destroy your career.
Good place
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WISeptember 25, 2018
Good place to work, they keep up with employees. Would suggest more training and more spaces to work.

It's overall good and a positive experience to enhance your resume.
MATC-admin is retalitory, hostile, and discriminatory
Traffic Safety Instructor (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WISeptember 6, 2018
Matc is a terrible place to work. the admin is full of hostile cronies. if you are a liberal they will love you. if you are conservative you have expect retaliation, hostility, and discrimination. If you are a male white you will be discriminated against for sure.
MATC nice environment to work for
Tutor Associate (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WISeptember 4, 2018
I happened to need an internship site to complete my graduate program and was allowed to work at Milwaukee Area Technical College. I worked in the Tutoring Services Department helping to design tutoring schedules for tutors, monitoring tutors while in session and giving feedback to them for what they could improve on.
Fun at times working on projects.
Carpentry/Bricklaying Student (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WISeptember 4, 2018
No review. I was an carpentry student working on projects outside the classroom. I believe the projects we worked on inside/outside the classroom was a helpful tool of being team oriented.
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
Student Success and Collaboration
Administrative Professional (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 7, 2018
The number one priority of all employees should be the success of our students. If you are interested in advancing, get involved and participate in advancing our student's and their educational success.

You WILL be noticed!
Pros
Pension, benefits
Great Work Enviornment
Traffic Safety Instructor (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 7, 2018
I really enjoy working at MATC. I am a part-time instructor. I am able to create my own schedule based on my availability. I have a wonderful director, co-workers, office staff, benefits, pay & culture. My job is very rewarding and I love every class I teach.
Pros
Free Schedule. Work Based on availability
Lack of Hours and No Support
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 2, 2018
Hired as a PT Instructor but trumped by an Instructor that decided not to retire, and "low" enrollment. Taught 2 and half semesters since being hired in 2014.
Pros
Great paying and prestigious job
Cons
No resources for part-time instructors, no union help either.
Duties Operation Veteran Resource Center
Student Veteran Support Advocate (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 23, 2018
Develop the Veteran Resource Center at MATC
Assist them in transition from service to college
Working with student veterans, active and dependents
Assistance with their educational benefits, class assignments, personal needs, and referral them to other service external and internal
Develop programs and visitors for student veterans needs
Keeping the center clean everyday
Operational of computers
Everyday is a different day with student veterans and dependents.
Assist with job referrals for the student veterans
Develop different events on campus that relate to student veterans ( Veteran Day, Veteran Family Day.
Self Advertising
Tutor in Information Technology (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 14, 2018
When you tutor you are paid by the Visit. If you don't meet your visit requirements your hours will get cut. So making rounds to classrooms, making bookmarks, and putting yourself out there and you will succeed.
Student At Matc
Student (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 26, 2018
It is a great environment for a student to learn new things. You have to enroll in classes that are part of your career path. Take some classes that are part of the career that you chose and stick to it.
Pros
Clean environment
Student Library Worker
Library Assistant (Student Worker) (Former Employee) –  Oak Creek, WIJune 18, 2018
The Oak Creek campus library is of the best environments with a wonderful staff. The position was only open to students and opening for staff are rare.
Not a secure job
Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oak Creek, WIMay 16, 2018
I enjoy this job because I like teaching mathematics. However, this job is seasonal and low hours/low pay. It's only good for young students. Not really a career.
Giving students a second chance
Instructor,/Coordinator, Teacher Education Program (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 10, 2018
Many programs are in place to help non traditional, 1st generation college students.

Teacher Education program provides students an opportunity to begin pre-service education at a y=two year college and then transfer credits to 4 year schools of education in area universities.
Pros
student centered teaching
Cons
competing administrative agendas