Milwaukee Area Technical College

Milwaukee Area Technical College Employee Reviews

United States172 reviews
Great place to work!
Amazing staff and students!

Great pay and stability

Amazing support from management

Lots of flexibility

Able to work remotely

Definitely would recommend
Poor leadership good middle management
The people in charge try to run this technical college based on inappropriate and poorly executed K-12 school theories, programs and policies. It should be obvious that adult college and vocational students can't be treated like school children and college professors and expert work trainers can't be treated like school teachers. Like the school superintendent and school board of a failing public grade school system their only priority is being in charge. There is a huge disconnect between the people up top and the front line workers. The deans, associate deans (a position they are eliminating) are quite good, the professors, instructors and counselors vary but are by and large excellent though collectively often quite ineffective due to the failure of leadership. The grammatically twisted incomprehensible mission and vision statements tell the story. There is no organizational commitment to actual quality education, just specious attempts to present that image, a very thin veneer indeed. It's a demoralizing place to work, administration adds on piles of stupid-work to supersede teaching students. Instructors are too busy with burdensome Soviet style bureaucracy to keep up with our respective fields let alone be innovative. When I started 14 years ago our pay was pretty competitive but instead of raises over the past decade or so we've had repeated net reductions in take home pay with more and more work to take home. They've removed our system for raises (class and step is pretty standard in real colleges) so it's unlikely I'll ever get another raise before retirement, - more...
Good place to work!
Great place to work with good benefits!!! In this company there is always opportunities to advance to make more money and gain new work skills! I only left the job because I moved out of state.
Productive place to work and have fun
The job is a great place to work and the pay is wonderful you work around many diverse people that's going to school for nursing and skilled trades...
Pros
Great pay and state benefits
Cons
15 minute breaks
I love my job..
I like my job.its easy work I love what I do and I can do any area my supervisor give me. I wish it was a better deal of when someone gets hired internal employees should be first before anything.
Your experience matters.
Help out others considering your employer. Rate your employer.
It was school. It had its ups and downs
I was a student here first in the Dietetics program, the Culinary Arts and even started Culinary Management. Its a good school and the instructors are very helpful
Diversity
It's a diverse company with amazing students It has a welcoming culture . It's fun working with a staff who respects the value you bring to their company.
Pros
n/a
Cons
no part time benefits and hard moving up within the company
Work environment is great and seeing students reach their milestones is even better!
My daily day to day job is conflict resolutions dealing with admission, financial aid, registration, admission process, dropping and adding classes, and personal issues. One of the hardest things to deal with is when we can't find any resource to help a needed individuals. To see they walk on stage and moving on to something bigger and better is the most rewarding and enjoyable feeling.
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
They pay very well.
Nice place for the amount of money they give us. Management is horrible. It's very diverse, but lacks minorities in lead positions. Offers free or discounted schooling for all employees.
Pros
Pay
Cons
No room for advancement if you're not fair skinned.
Team environment
I work with a solid team environment oriented group in my department. Very supportive of each other and flexible to fill in time when needed. Compensation is great.
Productive environment
I am currently pursuing my associates degree in Baking and Pastry Arts. It has been a wonderful experience. The faculty and staff of Milwaukee Area Technical College have been very instrumental and positive in my progress.
Very stressful work environment
Although the pay is great, I would not recommend the downtown campus, particularly the Student Services division. Management is horrible! I appreciate the opportunity to learn new things, but that as good as it gets here.
great benefits and personnel with pay. Very secure and safe.Clean, has an open door policy. Many opportunities for advancements. Educational opportunities.
Toxic
What was once a rewarding place to work, has quickly become a building full of zombies just waiting for their chance to get out.
Priorities have swung from employee focused success in order to further the success of students and the college, to mind-numbing academic and bureaucratic busy work, knee jerk initiatives, more work in the same number of hours and scrutiny like you can't believe from folks truly not qualified to render such opinions (there's high level management that barely have AAS degrees!).

You fill out forms that nobody looks at, get locked in meetings (doors get locked!!) where they take attendance (true stories!), are threatened or reprimanded for the smallest things (like being a few hours late on your own time sheet so YOU don't get paid on time!!, or not watching some sort of 'training' video that are just thrown at you willy-nilly) and are expected to do the work of 2 or 3 others because current inept college leadership would rather pay HUGE bucks to add questionably needed administrators (180k for a VP of some new focus important to someone??) than add to the positions that really do the work.

The President is academically astute, but common sense challenged.

The Board lazily digests whatever administration gives them vs. really looking into issues from staff presented to them.

All that said, the mission is so very important. And there is much to be proud of as a member of an institution that trains the next generation of nurses and welders and police officers and chefs and photographers and video cameramen and graphic designers and dental assistants
 - more...
Comfortable workplace
I work average 12 hours a weeks, 4 or 5 hours a day.
Learn how to maintain my knowledge and my time management has been improve. Department supervisors are very nice and helpful.

Training is provided every semesters
Straight
Motivated and organized individual seeking an office manager position with ABC Company in order to support team members and expand clientele using professional communication, excellent cooperation, and customer service skills.
This was a temp job. Great place to work. because I was a temp there were no benefits. I was able to move from front desk work to giving new worker orientations. The office manager really pushes the workers to grow.
Pros
great place to work
Cons
it was temp
Like Working for the DMV
Overall very institutional, governmental and impersonal. Everything is highly regulated and procedural. It seems like there are 3 forms to fill out to get anything done. A lot of poor, disadvantaged and entitled students who complain about everything.
Pros
High pay, some excellent students
Cons
Pretty much everything else
Internship I loved it
I enjoyed working there it was relaxed I learned a lot about grading and entering important data. I had a work life balance. I learned about some accounting and investments
Human services dept is extremely poorly managed. Based on friendship with associate dean.
Poor management and supervision favoritisms is the order of the day. Associate dean needs to be replaced and full time staff needs to be split up. No integrity.
Learned a lot!
I learned about every degree you can get and it's accelerated program. I enjoyed educating young people and adults on getting a job. Trades are very easy to get into it. I enjoyed meeting new people and giving them hope while inspiring them!
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Milwaukee Area Technical College. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
2.4
InHerSight Score
2.4Personal Development
2.8Career Opportunities
2.2Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight