MILWAUKEE ART MUSEUM Employee Reviews

A very uniqe and fun place to work in the summer.
Set up Crew (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 13, 2018
This is a great job for teenagers looking for a decent paying part time job. You get to see parts of the museum that the average person doesn’t. The job would be better if the pay was a bit higher.
Pros
Scheduling
Cons
The hours
Doesn't Prioritize Pregnant Women
Barista (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 11, 2018
This company does not prioritize working women who are pregnant. Management provided ensuring gestures at start of hire for an individual and then reported them to HR about possibly removing their position due to their pregnancy. They are very discriminating.
Conservation Intern
Intern (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 22, 2018
The conservation lab consists of a very close knit group of people. Everyone is welcoming and friendly and made the work environment an overall pleasant one.
Productive working enviroment
Set-Up Technician (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIApril 5, 2018
Productive working environment. Everyone works together, like a family, very energetic working environment. If their is a task at hand people wont hesitate to help you out.
Amazing Place
Intern (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMarch 29, 2018
Researched and compiled online information pertaining to national art museums and corresponded with the museums. Provided office support in filing, mailing, printing, and handling member information in the online database.
productive fun workplace with great employees
Catering Server (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIDecember 20, 2017
Working at the art Museum is very productive and fun. Employees are great to work with. Its more of a family bond than anything. Events are always interesting from the decorations to the speeches to the guests. My favorite part of the building is the long hallway from the entrance to the front desk. Very relaxing to walk through especially at night.
Pros
discounts, eating leftovers, bond with guests
Cons
n/a
Beautiful place to work
Security Officer, Lead Training Officer (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 27, 2017
The museum security staff works 24hrs a day so there was flexibility with changing hours with colleagues. Working 40+ hours a week was regular because of the many events that are held in the museum. The staff is friendly and it truly is an enjoyable place to work
Great Experience, poor benefits
Visitor Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 18, 2017
Overall, I enjoyed my experience at the museum. The best part was being able to go through exhibitions before the general public and learn more about them from their curator(s). The major downside was the pay and not enough hours. I needed something full time with benefits and this was not fitting the bill. Outside of that, the actual job aspect was great!
Vicious, Egocentric and Shady Individuals
Guest Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 7, 2017
There is no room for advancement, no encouragement for advancement, they expect you to do internships unpaid and every department is filled with people who think they are better than you. No one is willing to communicate or work with other departments, and the curators have a tendency to belittle the front desk staff and anyone they deem not worthy of working in the building. Departments have a tendency to abuse the front desk staff and expect them to work miracles, expect them to work with information that was never provided to them and not understand how they were unaware, and go out of their way to do their own jobs. The Director doesn't even bother getting to know the individuals that work in the building.
Great place for a college student
Receptionist / Visitor Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIApril 11, 2017
Great place for a college student to work while in school. Flexible hours and could work more or less if desired. Great management and staff. Art education as well while working there,
Emersive, Social, Interactive
Member and Visitor Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIApril 9, 2017
My experience working for the Milwaukee Art Museum as a Member and Guest Services Representative was nothing short of a great experience. It allowed for me to employ not only my degree in art but also my networking and customer service skills everyday. The staff at the MAM is one of the most community inspired and positive work environments I have ever come across.
Pros
Membership, Food Discounts
Cons
only part time
Worked as a Audio Visual technician
Audio Visual Technician (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMarch 6, 2017
Loved working here. I set up for many corporate events doing sound creating a room mood with lighting and music. I was able to meet a lot of good people learn about sound equipment.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Beutiful facility with a great location. Culturally vital work.
Handyman/Lighting Preparation (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIApril 24, 2016
Micro managed to the point of stifling employees at times. Employees are numbers not persons. It is felt they are all easily replaced at any time. There is no employer loyalty to the employee.
A satisfying job to have with very meaningful work preserving and presenting works or art.
Productive and relaxing workplace that allowed independent working.
Art Intern (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 13, 2015
Working at the Milwaukee Art Museum was the most relaxing and enjoyable jobs I've ever worked at. I was first actually job, I was only 16 and I was an intern. My co-workers treated me with so much respect and kindness that I actually felt like I was apart of the Milwaukee Art Museum team. As an intern I was exposed to a lot of behind the scenes work that goes on there and it is pretty amazing and many hard-working people that help keep the place running. A typical day at work for me would be sorting and organizing aged artist files for existing staff, by making sure I label them with new label's and enter them on the computer. I received many compliments about my job performance from my supervisor because I was able to get soo many files done in such a short time and was actually considering turning my intern position into a job position.
Pros
Enjoyable working environment
Cons
No free lunches
A Great Oppurtunity
Art Xpress Intern (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 30, 2014
With the passion I hold for Art and design this was definitely one of the most enjoyable life experiences I've had. I worked/met many great people and learned a lot about abstract art.
Pros
Learning experience, meeting new peolpe, working at the Art Museum
Cons
Short-term I would've preferred a long term job
Overall a fun escape from the daily rhythm of school.
Hostess, waitress, manager for café, bartender (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMarch 21, 2013
There are daily "to do" lists which need to be fulfilled before customers enter the cafe/coffee shop. I try to give all customers the best service so that they will have a great experience and hopefully return in the near future. I have learned many managerial lessons, especially when working with difficult customers and even co-workers. I enjoy this job because of the people I work with even through there may be management tensions at times.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
management disorganization
Grand
Wedding Sales & Events Manager (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 18, 2012
The Milwaukee Art Museum is an icon in the art world. It's beautiful design and fabulous collections bring travelers from all ends of the globe. A one of a kind experience.
Highly professional and educational work place.
High School Intern (Edu. Department) (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WISeptember 23, 2012
-Typical day
A typical day a work was nearly the same everyday; check In with the supervisor, review your assigned work area in addition to requirements that need to be met, work with other co-workers to get the job done sign a time sheet and call it a day. In additions there were alot of meeting that I and others had to attend and contribute to.
-What I learned
Well while working in the museum it gave me the opportunity to explore various pieces of art in alot of different exibitions and collections throughout the museum, it gave me an opportunity to be educated by a wide variety of Art Historians with information that excels beyond words and this postion acknowlegded me of skills that can be used effectively in a work socitey. Also seeing that I have an employee level membership I was able to go "behind the scenes" an learn about every career, job, internship, program, social event, and more including the requirements and qualifications. Trust me you'll be suprised
-Co-Workers
My fellow co-worker were the best I enjoyed working with. I think It really didn't take long for us to warm up to eachother. We kept eachother on point and up to date on everything and above all we kept everything professional when it was time to work.
-Hardest part of the job
I don't really think there was a hardest part of this job simply because of my flexibilty through all situations.
-Most enjoyable part
My most enjoyable part of the job had to be meeting all the different guest, staff, and the docents in meetings they were very inspirational and gave the best advice.
Pros
25% discounts in the cafe and all gift shops, employee membership, free yearly membership for an adult or visitor, retirement plan, reimbursed fees from application, provided transportation if needed, and mutul benifits.
Cons
short breaks, short hours everyday, no raise and strict uneeded policies.
Very comfortable setting.
Internship (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 22, 2012
Everyday I had to label and organize artist files in alphabetical order in shelf them, and convert them on the computer program Athena for exsiting staff. With that I learned how to paste myself since I was working alone and focus on the job instead of something else. I also learned how to place and orgainze things very well. Like I said before I worked alone and so did my co-workers. We all had our own task to work on in a quiet area which was of course the Library. I enjoyed every bet of my job because as an intern you get to meet some of head staff in charge and see what it actually takes to run a museum. That I enjoyed to most.
Pros
transportation was provided
Cons
short breaks
Productive and fun work place.
Internship (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMarch 12, 2012
It was a fun place to work. It felt like a home away from home. Even though it was very much a productive work place, it didn't feel like work. Probally because it was a work place I enjoyed working for. I would have no problem working there again.