Milwaukee County Employee Reviews

Productive place to work
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  WisconsinAugust 13, 2018
The fast past environment was exciting and fun, management was on site and generally cared for the workers and productivity. The company offered incentives and hired from within. I regret leaving and would be happy to work for the company again.
Pros
Enjoyed coworkers and managers.
Starcrossed from the start.
Clerical Support II ­­ bilingual ­­ Spanish (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 11, 2018
Applied for a county position on a lark, during the economic downtown of late 2001/early 2002, after returning from college & just before departing for overseas work. Interviewed quickly, completed preemployment testing as required in short order... Then, nothing, til 18 months later when I happened to be back from overseas & needing a job. (If nothing else, the delay was propitious, if not also a bit dismaying. (Hiring should never be that attenuated.)) Overall, I learned a lot on the job, though not necessarily from obvious training & development composed by higher-ups. Just the day to day produced evermore contingencies to always keep in mind.
Managed by threats of termination
Unknown (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 26, 2018
The work with the clients is great. Being threatened with consequences every day by an untrustworthy management team, not so great. So many of us walk into work wondering if today is the day I get fired. There may or may not be a pool as to who gets walked out next.
Work
WI. Corrections Officer (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 24, 2018
If you like overtime this is the place. Lots of overtime. I have learned great communication skills and how to handle stressful situations and learned to stay calm when being yelled at.
Pros
Working together
Cons
late nights
Very great place to work can be stressful sometimes but all jobs are like that. Glad to have worked there would recommend
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee WisconsinJuly 21, 2018
Milwaukee County lifeguarding is a very great place to work very social and can make a great startup pay. You can learn a lot from this type of job, and that can really help in life
Pros
Friendly, great starting pay, kind, helps with life
Cons
Always stressful thinking you are going to mess up
Management does not back up employees from workplace violence (staff to staff)
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  MILWAUKEE WISCONSINJuly 19, 2018
Fast paced, loved my patients, clean facility.I learned older county employees re mean and lazy. They seriously "eat their young". Some de escalation tactics are quite negative to the patient, they are there because of mental illness , I think that the nurses forget that.
Pros
Patients
Cons
Toxic staff and workplace environment
Excellent
Internship (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 18, 2018
The Milwaukee County Zoo is the best place to work because you got to see the animals every day and the new animal borns.
I was there for 11 months
Great
Ruining my family and friend relationships
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 14, 2018
A job is supposed to be a job. Not a new lifestyle. I get mandated so much I can’t even see my family or SO anymore. I work and I sleep. I took a personal day to go to a family event out of state and then got mandated for another shift. So I basically wasted a personal day and ran late to the event. We are severally under staffed and the higher ups don’t give 2 sh*ts about your well being.
Pros
Good experience
Cons
Little to no breaks, work becomes your life
Misberal place to work
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee County, WIJuly 9, 2018
To much mandatory overtime, all of your off days are taken, to much micro management. Internal affaires will go to any lengths to build a case on you inclining but not limited to lying to police to gain entry to your house. I would not recommend this job to anyone.
productive work place
Admission Representative (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 5, 2018
admitted patients in emergency psych unit
dealt with out patient and inpatient resources
worked third shift supervisor on call but worked mainly alone
enjoyed my job

Want to know more about Milwaukee County?

Ask a question
very busy
Correction Officer (Current Employee) –  Franklin, WIJune 28, 2018
we need more officers. we are tired and becoming weary. we work our regular 8 hours then get forced for 4 or 8 more hours on a daily basis with no off days.
I have positive professional interaction between myself, upper management and co-workers.
Specialist Court Clerk/Clerical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 24, 2018
The day consist of Professionally prioritizing work, interacting with management and co-workers when necessary. Customer service on the phone and in person.
Pros
The co-workers I interact with.
Cons
Assisting difficult individuals with Customer Service.
Great Officers, no advancement, too much overtime
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Franklin, WIJune 19, 2018
Too much overtime, supervisors and superiors have no respect for staff. Never have had a raise in 10 years. They can not compete with the rest of the workforce in pay.
Budget based , political who you know work place
Wisconsin (Current Employee) –  WisconsinJune 19, 2018
Management needs to change and become more team oriented. It could be an awesome place to work if employees weren't so afraid of losing their jobs, so they backstab and pull others down in order to promote themselves.

Some good relationship can be made, networking is good and so are the benefits.

parking is expensive and an issue for some individuals.
Pros
good place to network
Cons
no raises and job could depend on budget year. you have to pay for parking
very flexiable
Clerical Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 14, 2018
company has good benefits and very flexible with 24 hour facility. a lot of different jobs to do never boring. always learning new things. I love the challenge
Pros
flexible
Cons
busy
Decent Place To Work
Milwaukee County Sheriff's Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  949 north 9th streetJune 7, 2018
If the salary, and compensation matched the amount of work, and stress experienced as a correctional officer it would be a great place to work.

I like my co-workers more then my job.

Cannot make ends meet.
Pros
Co-Workers
Cons
lack of pay, benefits are expensive
Outdoor work
Grounds (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee County, WIJune 1, 2018
Working outdoors in the summer is an excellent time wherever you may be. Working for Milwaukee County Zoo had many flaws, and they severely underpay their employees. They exploit a loophole where they let employees work full-time without giving them benefits by "firing" them for 2 weeks out of the year, then bringing them back on calling them seasonal workers.
Pros
Outside
Cons
No benefits, low pay
not a very good place to work
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Franklin, WIMay 31, 2018
the work is very stressful and we are manditoried to work up to 16 hours daily, and you never know if you're going home after your 8hr. shift. Family life suffers due to long hours.
Cons
going home after your 8hr shift
Work Life
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Cudahy, WIMay 26, 2018
Very faced paced but a fun environment to work in. Risky job knowing that you might have to jump in and save a life but you are trained very well and have plenty of help along the way
Secure place to work
Registered Nurse Utilization Review (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 22, 2018
I enjoy working for Milwaukee County Behavioral Health Division BHD. It is rewarding to help the community in this way. BHD will be closing it's inpatient doors over the next several years.
Pros
nice environment
Cons
decreased advancement opportunites

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Milwaukee County. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

1.8Personal Development

2.7Career Opportunities

3.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight