Milwaukee County Employee Reviews

Great Officers, no advancement, too much overtime
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Franklin, WIJune 19, 2018
Too much overtime, supervisors and superiors have no respect for staff. Never have had a raise in 10 years. They can not compete with the rest of the workforce in pay.
very flexiable
Clerical Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 14, 2018
company has good benefits and very flexible with 24 hour facility. a lot of different jobs to do never boring. always learning new things. I love the challenge
Pros
flexible
Cons
busy
Decent Place To Work
Milwaukee County Sheriff's Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  949 north 9th streetJune 7, 2018
If the salary, and compensation matched the amount of work, and stress experienced as a correctional officer it would be a great place to work.

I like my co-workers more then my job.

Cannot make ends meet.
Pros
Co-Workers
Cons
lack of pay, benefits are expensive
Outdoor work
Grounds (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee County, WIJune 1, 2018
Working outdoors in the summer is an excellent time wherever you may be. Working for Milwaukee County Zoo had many flaws, and they severely underpay their employees. They exploit a loophole where they let employees work full-time without giving them benefits by "firing" them for 2 weeks out of the year, then bringing them back on calling them seasonal workers.
Pros
Outside
Cons
No benefits, low pay
not a very good place to work
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Franklin, WIMay 31, 2018
the work is very stressful and we are manditoried to work up to 16 hours daily, and you never know if you're going home after your 8hr. shift. Family life suffers due to long hours.
Cons
going home after your 8hr shift
Work Life
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Cudahy, WIMay 26, 2018
Very faced paced but a fun environment to work in. Risky job knowing that you might have to jump in and save a life but you are trained very well and have plenty of help along the way
Secure place to work
Registered Nurse Utilization Review (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 22, 2018
I enjoy working for Milwaukee County Behavioral Health Division BHD. It is rewarding to help the community in this way. BHD will be closing it's inpatient doors over the next several years.
Pros
nice environment
Cons
decreased advancement opportunites
Stay away
Corrections Officer (Current Employee) –  Franklin, WIMay 7, 2018
Worst management of employees I have ever seen. They lie constantly, discriminate, and generally treat you like garbage. They only promote those who are friends with the supervisors, very much the good old boys club. This is my 4th different administration and by far the worst. I would not recommend this job to my enemy.
Pros
You get paid ever 2 weeks
Cons
Everything else
A great place to learn criminal law
Student Intern, Prosecution Clinic (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 7, 2018
The staff and attorneys were helpful and allowed student interns a positive environment to work and grow one's litigation skills. The attorneys gave useful and practical advice to learn the ropes of practicing criminal prosecution.
Easy job entry that will take just about any RN they could find.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Franklin, WIMay 2, 2018
I despised working for this company, and I only lasted 6 months or so. I wanted to do bedside nursing and this is completely different. Here, I was unable to show my compassionate and caring side, they were unpleasant working conditions. Management was judgmental, juvenile, and just crude.
Pros
Great pay, flexibility, low stress, Ot
Cons
horrible environment, minimal skill use, clear division between RN staff and Management.

Want to know more about Milwaukee County?

Ask a question
Great Job
Deputy Sheriff (Current Employee) –  milwaukee CountyApril 26, 2018
Started my Carear with Milwaukee County on 04-07-1997 to Date. Many different duties as a Deputy Sheriff. Worked in all areas of the Milwaukee County Jail on all 3 shifts, Worked as a Bailiff in Courts, as a Patrol Deputy on 2nd shift 2pm-10pm, Worked at General Mitchell Int Airport and, as A Transport Deputy Driving inmates in a Full Size Van from the Wisconsin State Prison System to the County Jail, for Court Proceedings and there Trials.
Good
Customer Service Representative (Call Center) (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIApril 23, 2018
I enjoyed the time I spent there, the enviroment was very friendly, it was a wonderful work enviroment, and management was very patient and understanding with all my questions
Outstanding Management
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIApril 22, 2018
I wish I did not have to leave this place of employment. I would have happily worked here until retirement. Additionally the staff and managers were EXTREMELY friendly and easy to work for and with.
Pros
Great Work Enviroment
Hopeless days
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIApril 20, 2018
A typical day working at the Milwaukee Zoo can be stressful at times depending on where you have to work. Sometimes you will be placed outside to sell stuffed animals during the summer.
Pros
Get to look at the animals
Cons
Short Breaks
Met a lot of people that I will surely remeber in the future.
Visitor Services Associate (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee County, WIApril 18, 2018
Had a great learning experience with everyone there and built relationships with people I never thought I would of. Also taught me how to deal with aggresive customers to stay calm and collected.
Pros
Discount on Lunch.
I recommend working for Milwaukee County
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIApril 8, 2018
Milwaukee County has great compensation and benefits. The chance for transferring to different departments is very appealing. Very diverse jobs make it interesting.
provide a safe environment for inmates
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Franklin, WIApril 2, 2018
I enjoy working with other coworkers and supervising inmates.The hardest part of the job is mandatory overtime. A typical day at work includes monitoring inmates.
Pros
decent pay
Cons
Highly stressful working environment.
Corrections Officer I (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIApril 2, 2018
I would not recommend working for the MCSO. Toxic working environment where supervisors only do one thing well and that's covering their own behinds. The acting sheriff is a coward and doesn't support his front line staff he's to busy doing photo op's trying to get elected. If you need the experience for law enforcement it's a good starting point but make sure you have an exit plan in mind, 6 months a year whatever it may be but don't get comfortable it will demoralize you!
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Very low pay.
ok
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMarch 30, 2018
I have learned lots of patience working at the county jail. It is a good job if you looking into going into law enforcement or anything in that area of work.
Job was very stressful
Stores Clerk (Former Employee) –  Franklin, WIMarch 26, 2018
Working at the Milwaukee House of Correction was a very stressful job. It was not a team job, everyone was for only themselves. I would not tell anyone to get a job working out there. A person will only last about 6 month before he or she look for another job.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Milwaukee County. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

1.8Personal Development

2.7Career Opportunities

3.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight