Milwaukee County Employee Reviews

Four stars
Custodial (Former Employee) –  Mitchell international airportMarch 6, 2019
On my department we are like family everybody knows everyone. Good communication with supervisor and coworkers. Everybody helps when they need. Good experience.
Pros
If you need a day off its not a problem.
Cons
You have to work holidays and weekends.
Great Learning Experience
Clerical Specialist (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIFebruary 25, 2019
With working for Milwaukee County, there is no such thing as a typical work day. Everyday was filled with learning and adventure. Great benefits! There is lots of room for growth
Poor work environment, with little chance for growth or advancement
Human Services Worker (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIFebruary 21, 2019
Toxic work environment, where management treated the employees very poorly. They were always asking for feedback on ways to improve morale, but did nothing to make things better. Actions speak louder.than words. I loved what I did there, but had never experienced such a dysfunctional work environment. If you are looking for an employer who understands the importance of treating staff with respect, and the importance of a work/life balance, DO NOT apply to work for the Department on Aging
Pros
Vacation time
Cons
Bad management, no chance for growth within the department, stagnant wages
Toxic & Stressful Environment & People
Human Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIFebruary 13, 2019
If you are interviewing for a Human Service Worker Position just do yourself a favor and keep looking. Unless you are interested in a toxic unsupportive environment then this is the job for you. They deliberately low balll you on pay 20.01 it’s what you will start with and stay with. But beyond the pay you will experience dysfunction on every level. Friends hiring friends for management positions they are unqualified for. COVERT racism in business practices and hiring practices. The building is a run down dump and you’ll keep your hat and coat on for most of your day inside. The team is unwelcoming and very snarky with comments and will let you know of the HIGH turnover rate for the position. If being crammed in like a sardine and dealing with toxicity you have to see too believe is your thing then this job is for you! Oh yeah and be ready to go through 6 months worth of training in 2 weeks you’re needed out there.
Pros
Being in the field
Cons
Toxic environment, disorganization, stressful environment, no advancement opportunities, mismanagement, non paid break, below standards PTO, Pay.
Slow paced, high alert job, younger age group
Pool Attendant (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIFebruary 8, 2019
This job was enjoyable at times but did have a lot of negative aspects including respect, cleanliness, abandonment, a few others. Although there are many cons if your job was done correctly it was not as hectic and difficult.
Pros
Hours, staff
Cons
No breaks, communication, cleanliness
If you make it work it will work
Senior Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 30, 2019
It is a place in which you can find the job that best fits you, but you will have to be patient.
You can grow within the company if you have the right people in your corner and supporting you.
Benefits
Very closed minded management (Armor Corrections) subcontractor
Booking Nurse (Former Employee) –  Booking DepartmentJanuary 30, 2019
People in positions they were not qualified for due to lack of experience of closed mindedness. When trying to make suggestions to increase work flow and effiency the response given too often was "thats how we've always done things." I did however love the type of nursing that I was doing.
Panel Assembler (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 23, 2019
It was an experience working at the company. I worked there full time on first shift. I worked as a Panel Wirer on units made to go inside of gourmet refrigerators and stoves .I also received other work experience while employed with the company.
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
Stressful
Human Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 17, 2019
This Job was very stressful and draining. Not worth it to work there. Some supervisors were great to communicate with. Other had their own agendas and didn't like employees they couldn't talk down to. They don't support the workers and they don't resolve issues.
No work/life balance or flexibility
HR Liaison / Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee County, WIJanuary 16, 2019
Management needs to make sure they are considering their employees when making decisions. Consider updating policies that align with private companies.
Overtime was ridiculous!!
Certified Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 11, 2019
If you are a workaholic and you do not mind overtime, then this could potentially be the place for you. There is the opportunity for advancement, but there is one requirement, you MUST belong to a clique.
Nice place to work
Bus Operator (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 11, 2019
The job as a bus operator is very challenging and requires discipline and the ability to be flexible your start times are as early as 3:00 am it also requires you to deal a demanding public
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Bathroom availability
Fast paced job with excellent room for growth
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 10, 2019
This is a job that can easily be turned into a career. Wonderful benefits, great team effort, and great ways to enhance your skills in the law enforcement field.
Gerat place to work
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIDecember 21, 2018
Operate bus to specified destinations, comply with all traffic regulations and assist passengers. you learn how to be patient with people, the hardest part of the job was driving in the snow.
Pros
the and good people
Cons
weather and bad people
horrible place to work
Jail Records Clerk/Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIDecember 20, 2018
it used to be a great place to work but now it is horrible you never see your family or have a life cant plan anything because you lose every off day this is no job for a single parent with kids
Challenging
Business (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIDecember 12, 2018
Pro is the real effort underway to make a lot of change. Con is that the budget gaps are big. Future is uncertain. Pay increases are below inflation.
It Was an OK job
Jail Records Clerk/Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIDecember 10, 2018
The benefits of this job was great, the management wasn't. The supervisor didn't care about here employees, and didn't want to to communicate on a one on one
Difficult and demanding job not for everyone
Correctional Officer I (Former Employee) –  Franklin, WIDecember 4, 2018
Working at Milwaukee County House Of Correction was difficult and very rewarding. It showed me things I never thought Id see and put me around people I never thought id be around. Though the hours and at times hostile atmosphere were challenging to work in I loved it. I thought it came very natural to me and I more then excelled. If not for the schedule and demanding hours it was the best job I've had to this point in my life. I think to be a Correctional Officer and get compliance through respect because you're a firm but fair officer was very rewarding. Co workers were the best I've had as well.
Pros
Being able to work with great co workers every long once and a while some kind of free lunch
Cons
Short breaks at times breaks not available always at all times needing to be alert
Interesting career
CORRECTIONAL OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIDecember 3, 2018
I enjoyed assisting inmates with their rehabilitation. Safety and maintaining custody of inmates on a daily basis to prevent escape and inmate assaults.
Pros
Great job experience
Great company
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WINovember 20, 2018
I learned lot while working here. It was my first job working in mental health. I truly enjoyed helping the patients to return home. It was great talking with them once they were stable on their medication.
Pros
Great company
Cons
Can become violent with the patients assaulting staff

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Milwaukee County. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

1.8Personal Development

2.7Career Opportunities

3.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight