Milwaukee County Employee Reviews

Challenging
Business (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIDecember 12, 2018
Pro is the real effort underway to make a lot of change. Con is that the budget gaps are big. Future is uncertain. Pay increases are below inflation.
Difficult and demanding job not for everyone
Correctional Officer I (Former Employee) –  Franklin, WIDecember 4, 2018
Working at Milwaukee County House Of Correction was difficult and very rewarding. It showed me things I never thought Id see and put me around people I never thought id be around. Though the hours and at times hostile atmosphere were challenging to work in I loved it. I thought it came very natural to me and I more then excelled. If not for the schedule and demanding hours it was the best job I've had to this point in my life. I think to be a Correctional Officer and get compliance through respect because you're a firm but fair officer was very rewarding. Co workers were the best I've had as well.
Pros
Being able to work with great co workers every long once and a while some kind of free lunch
Cons
Short breaks at times breaks not available always at all times needing to be alert
Interesting career
CORRECTIONAL OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIDecember 3, 2018
I enjoyed assisting inmates with their rehabilitation. Safety and maintaining custody of inmates on a daily basis to prevent escape and inmate assaults.
Pros
Great job experience
Great company
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WINovember 20, 2018
I learned lot while working here. It was my first job working in mental health. I truly enjoyed helping the patients to return home. It was great talking with them once they were stable on their medication.
Pros
Great company
Cons
Can become violent with the patients assaulting staff
Milwaukee County Register of Deeds - Not My First Pick
Clerical Assistant for Register of Deeds (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WINovember 14, 2018
When I transferred from the Behavioral Health Division of Milwaukee County, I did not realize it was going to like working in a factory doing repetitive work with data entry and mailing out large quantities of real estate documents.

Management was very questionable when seeing various employees take early retirement, transferring to other Milwaukee County positions, or just quitting period. Sometimes departmental managers would not be flexible with work standards.
Pros
Great compensation, some ability to curb hours based on personal health concerns
Cons
Overbearing managers/supervisors, boring repetitive work
Productive workplace
Cashier/Breaker (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WINovember 13, 2018
Milwaukee County is a productive workplace. I was able to learn about hospitality and customer service. Milwaukee County allowed me the opportunity to gain experience in the areas of customer service and hospitality. It also allowed me the opportunity to work with and serve diverse populations.
productive
SECURITY OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WINovember 4, 2018
my day at work is to screen in customers and make sure that they don't have anything sharp on them or metal objects and make sure that we are putting out good customer service.
Pros
good environmet
Cons
no free lunches
Stressful
OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 31, 2018
Stressful environment, but the pay is pretty good. There are times where there are long hours, so some days you could work f12 hour days for days at a time.
Pros
Gym reimbursement & Discounted insurance fr health assessments
Cons
Parking is costly
Fast past
Clerical Assistant-II (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 30, 2018
Working for Milwaukee County was a great experience. I learned a lot about the internal workings of the county judicial system. The hardest part of the job was the lack of moral within the department which created a fairly sad work environment. The hardest part of the job was seeing the different crimes that people commit against women and children. The most enjoyable part was learning about the legal processes that occur from the arrest to the release of an accused offender.
Cons
Not allowed to leave the building for lunch & Too many unhappy people
ALOT of overtime. dealing with the worst of the worst people
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee County, WIOctober 29, 2018
you get mandated daily to stay late or come in early, for 4 or 8 more hours. you lose your off days weekly. basically you cant plan anything in your outside life because you probably will get mandated for overtime and miss that family dinner, holiday, out of town family, friends events, etc. short staffed. stressful. everyone is looking out for themselves with little interest helping others unless it directly could effect them. some employees do bare minimum, or less and you are then seen to pick up slack or straighten out their mess, and finish your work before the shift is over.

on top of all that. you deal with the worst people in the area on their worst day of their lives usually, and they will make sure you know that.

pays less than most other jails in the area.
Pros
money to be had
Cons
no social life, stressful, pays less than other jails
Loved seeing the animals everyday
concession worker (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 25, 2018
This job was pretty good it just got boring at times because it was not constantly busy so sometimes there was nothing to do. I like a job that’s going to keep me busy
As long as you are the right color, you will never be fired no matter what you do
Clerical Specialist (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 22, 2018
Like any place else, you have good and bad co-workers. Don't look for a raise or many advancement opportunities. Due to this moral is low. The work is fairly easy. You get training from mainly disgruntled workers so depending on what you were hired for you may not get the welcome you deserve. I loved working here for a long time until a bad co-worker had to be moved (Yes moved instead of receiving some form of discipline or demotion) and since I am a good employee ( so management said to me) I was moved though I did nothing wrong. Keep in mind that no matter what department you work for within Milwaukee County, the head of that department can move you within the department at any time and for any reason.
Productive, I didn't have to worry about lay offs.
Deputy Sheriff (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee County, WIOctober 18, 2018
My position was Deputy Sheriff, so you can have good days but mostly stressful days. As a police officer, you must make sure you do not place your position of the Judge. You have to work daily to do your job and maintain sanity. To be fair and non judgemental to the people you are serving. You must make sure you keep the citizens of the county safe.
Pros
Stability
Cons
A daily balance to stay focused with reality.
It's a nice company to work with and for.
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 17, 2018
It's a great experience to work with the company and would love to stay with in the county . A typical day all can say you never know what you will be coming to work every day is different based on the needs of the patients you have to remember your working patients that have mental health problems so its not that easy to understand you have to have a heart to do this because some patients can be very sensitive or just mean especially when they have been off there medication every day is a new day.
Pros
You learn a lot with the difference training and gain lots of knowledge
Cons
Last minute changes
Fun place to work
Concession Worker (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 12, 2018
Milwaukee County Zoo was a organized place of business. The managers ran it well and the customers and animals were always happy at the end of the day. The zoo made lots of money off sales.
your coworkers make coming into work worth while
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  milwaukee wisconsinOctober 4, 2018
its horrible with management the passengers are not that bad to work for you can deal with them but management is trash they blame you for everything the company does not back you up in any situation at all leave you out to dry the union is kind of good but for nothing as well cause the members be for company too so they don't fight as hard as they should but some do have the drive heart and fight and passion in them about our drivers the company want them gone!!!
Pros
benefits are great make life a little easier
Cons
poor managemnet poor security protocol and response time
Great team morale and goal driven department
RETIREMENT SPECIALIST/CASE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 3, 2018
A typical day at Milwaukee County required great attentiveness to detail as various formulas were used calculating pension benefits for active employees who would be retiring in the near future. Possessing time management skills were mandated as there were deadlines that had to be met with no exception as well as unplanned projects that had to be completed in a short period of time. The work culture was very diverse and I learned a lot from my former co-workers background history. The most enjoyable part of the job was receiving recognition for myself and collectively for being able to satisfy and serve our internal and external participants.
Pros
Team morale and team efforts.
Cons
Public Scrutiny
Summary
Clinical Coordinator/ Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee County, WIOctober 2, 2018
Clinical position worked with clients in the community, as the county started moving these services to the private sector the budget was cut, and the positions were no longer available.
It's a who you know culture
County employee (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WISeptember 26, 2018
There is minimal room for advancement. Pay increases are difficult to come by, and it's a who you know culture. It's difficult working in run down buildings, w limited supplies to effectively do your job.
Pros
Helping the needy
Cons
Lack of funding makes it difficult to do your job.
people were great, management, not so much
Airport Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WISeptember 26, 2018
11 different supervisors rotating thru the office in 3 yrs should explain things. i worked there for 18 yrs. first 10 were great. then act 10 took affect and everything changed.
Pros
great coworkers
Cons
stress brought on by supervisors

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Milwaukee County. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

1.8Personal Development

2.7Career Opportunities

3.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight