Milwaukee Repertory Theater Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Work-Life BalancePay & BenefitsJob Security & AdvancementManagementCulture
Milwaukee Repertory Theatre
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 19, 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed my work at the Milwaukee Repertory Theatre. I cleaned furniture, floors, windows, dusted, emptied trash. I serviced the restrooms. Unfortunately, the theatre went with a different cleaning company.
Make sure you're willing to commit
Assistant Audience Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 21, 2017
The Milwaukee Repertory theater is a living breathing organism and is constantly growing and changing. This is a very strong Upstairs-Downstairs environment to this place with communication primarily though email. If this is not the kind of communication you can work with, you will struggle. There are some amazingly kind and loving people there who will light up your day. There are also some very strong cliques which if you are not a part of, will make your time difficult there. Be aware that as a theater, it will take your time and a lot of your energy. Do not look for work there if you are unwilling to devote your time to it. If you are, this company might have your dream job for you.
Pros
Wonderful people. Good benefits
Cons
Cliques, communication issues. Long hours.
A company moving with the times
Management Associate (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 31, 2017
Milwaukee Repertory Theatre never failed to give me an opportunity to thrive. The staff and management was friendly and open to everyone with regular meetings, open door policies, and encouragement to talk to supervisors and colleagues.

MRT produces solid, professional work. While there are some upper management positions that are hard to get along with or difficult to get to know, the department heads have a weekly meeting where each leader has a chance to discuss the issues.

As a management associate, you will be involved in the General Management and Executive Management of the theatre. You will attend Board Meetings and work with Company Management to make sure the flow of the office and administrative work is continual.

MRT is a big theatre producing multiple shows at once. It can become difficult to feel a part of the final product, the plays, if you aren't careful. Make sure to take time to see what work is happening on the stage.
Pros
friendly staff, professional art, understanding management
Cons
busy, demanding, no parking
A great place to learn the art of acting
Ticket Agent (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 12, 2013
I Loved working at 'The Rep'. I sold tickets to live theater shows, answered calls and some cash handling.

I learned a lot about upselling and how it helps the company

My management team was very nice and my co-workers were very professional

The hardest part of the job was seeing our patrons wait in long lines.

The most enjoyable was seeing the excitement of the patrons going to and coming from our shows
Pros
Free theater tickets
Cons
Long lines
Fun and flexible working outside of the theater in the community
Teaching Artist for "Our Neighborhood Project" (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIApril 1, 2013
Teaching 7th and 8th graders once a week from 3:30-5:30 about theater, theatre games and the background behind the plays “Clybourne Park” & “Raisin in the Sun” and how they relate to the neighborhood where the students live and go to school and how they interpret there perception of their neighborhood through drama, spoken word, art and photography.
Pros
teaching kids about theater and getting to take them to shows at the rep.
Cons
have to split stipend with your partner