Minneapolis College of Art and Design Employee Reviews

Fun to work with students and help with inspiring projects.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 11, 2018
Fun to work with students and help with inspiring projects. Great Job work/life balance. Upbeat job culture, especially if you are in an entry level position or just starting. Extremely poor compensation and advancement. Poor management.
Wonderful Learning Experience, Great Management.
Help Desk Assistant (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 26, 2018
I have been working here for a little over 2 months, the staff that I work with at the Help Desk are friendly and encouraging of me when I do not know how to do somehting. They offer me the opportunity to learn and allow me the chance to not have to do more than I am comfortable with.
Pros
Great Supervisors, Friendly Coworkers, Learning Experience
Cons
Only 8 hours a week.
MCAD - Academic Services Work-Study
Work Study Student (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 20, 2018
The work study opportunity is only given out to certain students who got the scholarship, and there were plenty of other jobs to choose from. Academic services primarily did Contractor work, for example we painted walls in the galleries, moved furniture from place to place, demolished stuff, and ordered new equipment for faculty and students.
Pros
awesome work enviornment, flexible schedual, pretty understanding manager and other staff
Collaborative and Satisfying
Program Director, Pre-college Summer Session (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNFebruary 14, 2018
I worked in a contract position for summer only. This was a positive, professional program, run by competent staff. The program has a long history and it was a pleasure to continue the work.
Pros
staff, programs
Cons
hourly pay a little low
Great school and excellent community
Animation instructor (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 8, 2018
The Minneapolis College of art and Design is a respected and accredited College. Many of the top talents in the Twin Cities and The country got their start at MCAD.
Pros
Great Community
Cons
Some of the long term staff are complaicent
wonderful school
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 10, 2017
I enjoyed my time as a student and instructor at MCAD. tHE STUDENTS WERE VERY ENGAGED AND THE FACILITY IS TOP NOTCH.
I worked part time within the degree program and continuing studies and enjoyed the experience greatly.
Pros
good environment
Cons
Good rapport between staff members.
Facilities Maintenance Mechanic and Electrician (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 5, 2017
Excellent rapport between the Facilities staff members. Leadership was exceptional, intuitive, helpful and provide very good direction. The maintenance crew enjoyed working both independently and as a team.
Pros
Amazing amount of paid benefits.
Cons
Work days were almost too short at some times of the year.
Educational environment with diverse learning opportunities.
Institutional Advancement and Development Intern (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 22, 2017
I learned a lot about project management and fundraising. My first internship here was with a brilliant PM, and working in their Institutional Advancement office is some of the most valuable experience I have gained during an internship.
Stagnant jobs, low support, bad management
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 11, 2017
All departments lack proper support and man-power to carry out all they are asked to do. Highly intelligent work force - promotion in departments is hindered by HR's inability to understand the work that is done. Highly rigid policies for some workers when others are able to do whatever they want - complete inconsistency and lack of policies allows rampant favoritism and inequality across the board. Most of the upper management and the board disconnected with the people who are dedicated to making this a great place to work. Wonderful faculty and students - surrounded by creative thinkers and art all day.
Pros
Lots of time off - good benefits
Cons
Restrictive work policies, no course of promotion
Chill Vibe, but busy work
Windows Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 22, 2017
Everyone seems to be quite busy at MCAD. You will most likely have a lot of responsibility. Luckily, management is very chill, and you will most likely have a clear sense of prioritization due to the weekly meetings.
fine institution
Online Instructor (Former Employee) –  onlineFebruary 3, 2017
with a really great commitment to arts, design and the humanities. i can't say enough good things about this place, which has allowed me to get a great taste of online college instruction.
good work study position for the hard working student
Work Study Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 17, 2016
Came into this position as a work study student in my sophomore year at MCAD. The position is in the admissions office. Laid back with flexible hours to work around school and homework load. Position consisted of entering and filing student data, completing miscellaneous tasks, leading tours for potential students/families, and giving presentations and working information tables at admissions events. The staff and the other work study "student ambassadors" were fun and focused. Very positive and supportive management. Compensation was alright. It was good for a full time student looking for money.
Pros
on campus of school, good management, calm environment
Cons
decent compensation
A good work environment with very good management.
Facilities Electrician & Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 18, 2015
This was a very good place to work with a very competent staff and management. Each group within the Facilities department, Carpentry, Electrical/Mechanical/HVAC, and Housekeeping, ordered or picked up parts as needed for scheduled projects and day to day maintenance needs. We also planned for and scheduled our own regular and periodic maintenance schedules, besides responding to requests from other departments for repairs as needed Management was very supportive, knowledgeable about all aspects of the operation and very professional.
modern and open environment thata encourages learning.
Coordinator of Occupational Health & Safety (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MN.August 11, 2014
No day is like any other. The students are a challenge in a good way.
Wonderful open, expressive, sometimes surprising, things are seen and heard. The neighborhood present a safety challenge, however. The staff is knowledgeable and cooperative.

The most difficult part of the job would be the different chemicals that would be used in the production of the art projects. Or, in the introduction of the some the project - such as snails, worms, etc.
Pros
Wonderful caferteria.
Cons
Making sure that the use of respirators were used as they should be.
productive and fun work place with ping pong table
Van Driver (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 8, 2013
Since it was a work study job I was mostly doing school work. They didn't give me many hours because they were paying me 14 per hour. I was mainly working this job so I could focus on my senior project.

As for the school experience:
They give you a lot to work on. So if you have a lot of free time your not doing your job. I enjoyed all the projects I was given and ended up collaborating with a lot of other students that shared similar ideas to my own. As hard as they made us work they kept a very fun and creative environment which i feel is very important to any work place.
Lots of interesting things going on
Coordinator of Academic Affairs Administration (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 5, 2012
Co-workers would be the best part of the job. People are fabulous, brilliant, talented and committed to a good student experience.
No upward mobility. Low pay and relies mostly on people's loyalty.
Pros
great vacation package, access to facilities for art making
Cons
low pay, no upward mobility
A good GTA position
Graduate Assistantship (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 13, 2012
The work was interesting, the supervisor was a delight. The GTA was a great support to my studies at MCAD.